• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christian school threatens to expel students if they have an LGBT family member

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Now how many people on that school's board likely have gay relatives?

Aurongel

Talk about raising a generation of kids who'll be totally unable to deal with the social landscape of the U.S. in 10-20 years. The good news is, crazy fringe stuff like this is a sign that the supporters of such ideologies are on their last legs.

Audioboxer

Apart from the fact it is ridiculous to judge an individual on what their parents/family do, it's utterly ridiculous being LGBT is even something to judge on.

What I mean is if your parent ended up in jail for a crime you shouldn't be punished for it if you have nothing to do with it. In this case though as I said being LGBT isn't even something to judge that individual on, let alone another family member.

We shall drag these fuckers kicking and screaming into the future and show them this sort of discrimination and bigotry will not be accepted. I don't care about the private school argument, schools on American soil should not be allowed to discriminate on normal biological differences end of. Society won't get better if we allow institutions to weasel around things because they are "religious" or "private". What they try to do is against the liberal values we stand for in our society. We don't do ourselves any favours trying to be "polite" and "accepting" of bigots by saying "oh they're just religious, don't be mean to them". Sorry, we should cast all of our ire on such bigotry. Only way it will get better for society.

Freedom of religion is to allow you to practice your faith and have your institutions, but not discriminate on biological matters.

obin_gam

Freedom of religion shows its backside yet again.

There should be a ban on discrimination that nullifies "discrimination based on religious views".

That's fucking stupid.
This is why I can't be a Christian apologist.

EDIT: Fuck my tag. It's THOR: THE DARK WORLD THERE'S NO TWOOO
giphy.gif

Majmun

Does any religion accept LGBT activities?

The day religion doesn't exist anymore, is the day I can finally have faith in the human race.

I'll probably be dead by then, but still

There is precedence in other faith schools for similar action. You can find a couple of examples of students and employees being dismissed if their home environment contradicts (divorcees, gay marriage etc) the Biblical ethos of that school.

If you read the statement in the OP more closely, it says the "promotion or practice" of LGBT relations within that family may lead to expulsion - a theme that is pretty consistent with previous examples of this sort of behaviour.

Sucks for the student but I imagine the families are aware of these type of policies before enrolling.

I assume this school also expels any students whose family members are: adulturers, fornicators, liars, thieves, murderers, atheists, etc? Right?!!!

Yeah, let's generalize all religions based on this one school in Kansas. Sure. Why not ban all Muslims too because some of them do hateful things too?

Your post discusses the idea of banning people and responds to a post that only expresses disgust towards scripture and faith, mentioning individuals at no point. There is nothing wrong with responding to one of many instances of hate by expressing hate for the religion behind said hate.

Your post discusses the idea of banning people and responds to a post that only expresses disgust towards scripture and faith, mentioning individuals at no point. There is nothing wrong with responding to one of many instances of hate by expressing hate for the religion behind said hate.

Religion didn't make the people behind this school the way they are. There's nothing in the Bible or Jesus's teachings that says you should hate anyone. So blaming the religion is either opportunistic or ignorant. Which is it?

Doesn't it go against a lot of the Old Testament, including, say, the great flood?

These are so many different denominations and individual churches that I've tiny as Christian but interpret things a million different ways. Some like the school in the op are ultra conservative and use selective reading and interpretation to justify hateful attitudes. 100 years ago this would have been about interracial marriages or some other cultural boogeyman.

B-b-but isn't this the religious liberty our Lord and Savior Ted Cruz was talking about? Why do I have the feeling that discrimination under the flag of religious liberty is very one sided towards Christians only while if Muslims dared to do the same thing they'd be labeled terrorists faster that you can say "Republicans".

Eumi

America gotta keep up that LGBT hate, it'd been a few days.

Seriously, these last few months have been horribly depressing to hear about. And by months I guess I mean years.

B-b-but isn't this the religious liberty our Lord and Savior Ted Cruz was talking about? Why do I have the feeling that discrimination under the flag of religious liberty is very one sided towards Christians only while if Muslims dared to do the same thing they'd be labeled terrorists faster that you can say "Republicans".
If this was a muslim school would you support their freedom to enroll and accept only the students they want there? I'm sure there are many muslim schools that do just that.

While I disagree with Muslims on their religious beliefs I support their right to exercise the freedom of religion and freedom of association. If you look at how U.S. law is structured, you'll see the same thing. Hosanna Tabor protections apply equally to Imams and Rabbis, not just for Christian ministers. Similarly, we don't ban burqas here like some Europeans do - religious protections are available to all.

Pentecostal? Sounds like it. They're all about secluding members from the general population. Makes 'em easier to control, and reduces incidence of armor piercing questions.

A lot of people conflating 'religion' for 'church' in here, too.

Cipherr

Mmmhmmm, want to make sure the bubble isn't penetrated. Can't teach these kids bullshit when they are exposed to other things at home that make them question your religious fuckery.

Forgive my ignorance as to American law but surely this isn't legal?

Private school, so they have a lot of leeway to set their own rules, but I don't believe they get much or any government funding. So they typically charge parents of attendees fees per year/semester like colleges do.

Allows these lunatics to have schools within these weird religious bubbles as long as enough crazies will pay the enrollment/attendee fees to keep the school running.

Edit: I should add that not all private schools are bad. It's just like anything else in the world; give folks a chance and you can bet your ass someone's gonna find a way to use it in an assholish manner.

Does your country have any idiots or are you from wakanda?

lol

Lol, and then they are the damaged and persecuted ones. Fuck this shit, fuck them. One day we'll leave all the biblical shit behind.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I assume that to a fundamentalist, being gay or trans is just like saying you're a satanist. It's like their thought process is "why would you choose to go against god, and not just be a straight Christian like normal? Are you just trying to be evil?"

I also assume that most intolerant fundamentalists have never really known a gay or trans person before, and the second they had one in their lives and that lifestyle was humanised in the slightest, this kind of persecution would wane a lot. But the unending propaganda in churches kind of guarantees that these people would never get to know a LGBT person.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
My best friend grew up with this problem. She was an only child of a single lesbian mom, and she must have gone to upwards of ten schools (many were religious, I think catholic) throughout her K-12 because of people giving her shit for it- bullying, getting beat up, etc. Fucking pathetic.

I almost went to this school. The whole contract they make you sign is ridiculous. No non-christian music(or "wild" Christian music)at home, and you aren't allowed to watch movies in a theater.
Stupid, crazy stuff. We had to beg my parents not to send us there. Luckily, they were also terrified by the prospect.

Fuck that. I listen to rap everyday even on the way to & from church. And what does the movies at a theater has to do with anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom