• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roge_NES

Got some tickets for the regular 70mm showing in Houston, which will probably be displayed onto a regular size theater screen as it was for Hateful Eight, it's a shame that there is a huge real IMAX screen in the city, but it's only equipped with a digital 4K Projector.

Anyone have experience with the Citywalk IMAX? Are these seats gonna be too close?

img_6031nruq8.png

Reasonable response that I agree with. At worst, the movie tanks but Nolan is gracious Warner Brothers let him do his passion project, and next movie WB steers him to a do a more appealing high concept blockbuster with big stars that's guaranteed to bring box office returns.

Also the difference between Dunkirk and Mad Max Fury Road is Mad Max Fury Road had Charlize Theron and other women. Dunkirk is a complete sausage fest.
No one gave a fuck about the other women, it's hardly the reason it sold money. It was just an amazing spectacle that had an insane word of mouth. Charlize is a big draw. As for the female crowd, Harry styles would draw more girls than Charlize and all those women involved combined. Anyways, you're worrying too much for a guy that has made money every time he's made a movie in his career. I don't think there's been someone whose pulled as much money as Nolan since he came into the directing picture.

I agree it doesn't have the same pull some of his other movies do like Batman or Inception, but a lot will depend how the movie does. If Inception wasn't a masterpiece, it would have not done even 1/3rd of what it made. If it's a fantastic movie, it will make a ton (don't know domestic, but overall). I think 500-550m worldwide is definitely a good possibility.

I'm coming here for early impressions. Curious if people are getting hyped that watched it.

The middle of Interstellar is the worst part of that movie.
Possibly, but it was still pretty damn exciting for me. Seeing the worlds they went into was pretty incredible, they really sold the aspect that these were real planets. Felt like a kid that looked at space and could finally see what those bright lights actually looked like. Interstellar is one of the best space movies ever made for me. The crazy shit is I haven't seen 2001 for whatever reason, despite being told on many occasions to do so. Need to get on it at some point.

Maddocks

Anyone have experience with the Citywalk IMAX? Are these seats gonna be too close?

When the movie switches to IMAX mode you will be surrounded by it lol Because that is pretty close. That is around the middle part of the theater, where everyone enters and walks from one side to the other. For that theater, I always go higher.

Got some tickets for the regular 70mm showing in Houston, which will probably be displayed onto a regular size theater screen as it was for Hateful Eight, it's a shame that there is a huge real IMAX screen in the city, but it's only equipped with a digital 4K Projector.
Which theater did you choose? The Edwards or AMC Gulf Pointe? I chose the AMC. At least the screen is fairly large for a regular screen there

Ashhong

In my opinion, yes. However, I also don't recommend the back row there. I normally sit in the last row at my IMAX in Irvine but for Citywalk I would do middle, maybe 2-3 rows down.

On that note, picked up my tickets today! Can't wait

No one gave a fuck about the other women, it's hardly the reason it sold money. It was just an amazing spectacle that had an insane word of mouth. Charlize is a big draw. As for the female crowd, Harry styles would draw more girls than Charlize and all those women involved combined. Anyways, you're worrying too much for a guy that has made money every time he's made a movie in his career. I don't think there's been someone whose pulled as much money as Nolan since he came into the directing picture.

I agree it doesn't have the same pull some of his other movies do like Batman or Inception, but a lot will depend how the movie does. If Inception wasn't a masterpiece, it would have not done even 1/3rd of what it made. If it's a fantastic movie, it will make a ton (don't know domestic, but overall). I think 500-550m worldwide is definitely a good possibility.

I'm coming here for early impressions. Curious if people are getting hyped that watched it.

In the right film, perhaps Harry styles would draw more women than Charlize Theron. But this is not the film.

I think your 500 million worldwide is very optimistic to say the least, but who knows. I personally think it hits somewhere in the 300 million range.

Roge_NES

Which theater did you choose? The Edwards or AMC Gulf Pointe? I chose the AMC. At least the screen is fairly large for a regular screen there

Edwards Greenway Grand Palace 24 for the regular 70mm version and then will probably go to the Edwards Houston Marq'E 23 IMAX for the second watch.

In the right film, perhaps Harry styles would draw more women than Charlize Theron. But this is not the film.

I think your 500 million worldwide is very optimistic to say the least, but who knows. I personally think it hits somewhere in the 300 million range.
His fangirls have been spamming every sort of social media avaiable. As for your 300m estimate, we can revisit that part early next month and see how it goes. Like I said if the movie is great, it will hit half a billion. If it's run of the mill, I can see 350m. Nolan better not disappoint.

Yeah, I don't think young girls are going to a war flick for him. A romantic film, definitely. Pattinson fans didn't flock to his indie films (which is a shame cause he's been in some great ones like Cosmopolis, The Rover, The Lost City of Z, and can't wait to see Good Time). I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
As far as the worse IMAX experience I've ever had. It was Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol in 3D in the very first row right on the screen. I was also wearing 3D glasses over my normal glasses. The tension headache I had after was monstrous.
Must have been a different film, because Ghost Protocol was never released in 3D.

What about scotiabank theatre downtown? Both Vaughn and Square One are the only true IMAX in the GTA aside from scotiabank. The Scotiabank one has the newest 4k projectors too.

I don't think so, for whatever reason. Only Vaughn and Mississauga are listed as having IMAX 70mm according to this list.

Got my tickets for a Friday showing at Vaughn. Excited!

Wollan

Just booked the perfect middlerow seats for Edinburgh IMAX premiere. Seems like sales just opened (checked for the last few days and nothing), only three other seats taken.

You think that track can't build anymore in intensity but then the last bit goes into overdrive. Love that the beat reminds of sirens Wailing constantly when you're under attack.

Nearly 10 years ago I sat in the front row of a real IMAX (AMC Lincoln Square - NYC) for a screening of Speed Racer.

I am still recovering.

Sit in the back, people.

Ashhong

What's the best LA theater on the list? I know the hollywood area has prime theaters for obvious reasons. I'll be down there during opening weekend and I was thinking ArcLight's best?

ArcLight Hollywood (Hollywood)
Cinemark 18 (Los Angeles)
Landmark 12 (Los Angeles)

12/10

??????????????

Go to AMC City Walk for IMAX 70mm showing

Iceman

What's the best LA theater on the list? I know the hollywood area has prime theaters for obvious reasons. I'll be down there during opening weekend and I was thinking ArcLight's best?

ArcLight Hollywood (Hollywood)
Cinemark 18 (Los Angeles)
Landmark 12 (Los Angeles)

12/10

Second vote for AMC Citywalk for 70mm IMAX (that's where I'm seeing this one). If 70mm is not that important to you, The Chinese Theater/Grauman's in Hollywood, AMC Burbank, the Dome at Arclight Hollywood (sit close), or The LFX theater at the Krikorian in Monrovia are the bee's knees. There are a bunch of other great ones in the LA area, of course.. but my personal favorite screen is at AMC Burbank.

Where's the best place to sit in a IMAX theater. Never been to one and I'm going to the one here in Ontario California.

It's got reserve seating surprisingly

How does Nolan always manage to get this shit out of Zimmer
Nolan did try a fun little experiment with Zimmer with interstellar.

Gave him a scene from the movie but without telling him what it was about or the movie. Told him to write him a piece of music and show him later. Pretty intresting relationship they have. Zimmer talks about it in the composer round table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom