• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

Called Google support, and they said if your order was placed over an hour ago, you cannot cancel it. You need to refuse delivery to get a refund.

LAME.

jvalioli

You will likely be using wifi when using this device, i don't think people are planning on using their mobile data when using this. This is ideal for people who want to bring something to a friends house or hotel, or even another tv in your house, you just have to bring the dongle and a cable and your phone.

I believe it requires the device to be on the same wifi network as the dongle. Otherwise people could connect, leave your house, and mess with your tv when you aren't around.

Mrcapcom

Right off the bat this thing does some pretty cool things with Google Music, Google Movies ( atm only own what they gave me for bouying the N4 and OG N7) But what im most hype for is the SDK and API. So many apps that will incorporate this into their apps thats why im buying the other stuff is just added perks

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Debating getting this even though I have an AppleTV. I stopped using Airplay Mirroring as much because occasionally the picture I'm mirroring on the TV will freeze. Sucks when in the middle of a video.

Hmmm.

So same as always?

Sorry about that

As soon as I heard Amazon, I told myself I was going to wait.

Meh, I assumed Google was at least a half assed company when it came to processing orders. I figure like any company I could secure my order it with time to cancel since the shipping time was getting pushed out and then cancel if it looked like Amazon was going to have it some time soon. Seems lame that it's not going to ship for a couple weeks and I can't cancel it.

Argyle

Meh, I assumed Google was at least a half assed company when it came to processing orders. I figure like any company I could secure my order it with time to cancel since the shipping time was getting pushed out and then cancel if it looked like Amazon was going to have it some time soon. Seems lame that it's not going to ship for a couple weeks and I can't cancel it.

Try again? I couldn't cancel my order at first but it just let me do it...

ZetaEpyon

Ordered one from Amazon.

If Crunchyroll updates their Android app to support this, it will already be totally worthwhile for me. I also use Google Music, so that should be nice.

I can also totally envision using this when I go to my parents' house for the weekend. They've got wifi and such, and I don't usually want to lug around a laptop, so this has the potential to be pretty convenient.

TommyT

Has there been any mention on how this streams from your phone to the TV? Specifically, I'm thinking of Twitch. Since there's no mirroring aside from the Chrome browser, I guess I'll just have to install that and stream it from there?

I'm thinking this will come in the future, apps having a stream-to-TV option. Would also be great to just play a video on the phone and have it mirrored on TV.

sangreal

Has there been any mention on how this streams from your phone to the TV? Specifically, I'm thinking of Twitch. Since there's no mirroring aside from the Chrome browser, I guess I'll just have to install that and stream it from there?

It doesn't stream from your phone to your tv. Your phone is just a remote, it streams from the internet

At least you didn't learn the hard way (Nexus 4 debacle).

SimleuqiR

I didn't think Amazon was going to give away the 3 months Netflix :(

I figured that the codes are included in the packaging, and that it's to Google and Netflix advantage that all early buyers get the code.

It's a win win for both companies. It's a plus on Google side if you already have Netflix, as it lowers the cost to the device. It's plus on Netflix if you don't have a Netflix account and are hooked on features alone (potential new subscriber).

jvalioli

If I install the Chrome browser with this extension though it would seem viable...

You can stream an entire tab (including twitch.tv) which will work until Twitch decides to support it natively.

sangreal is both wrong and right. Some apps stream from the internet, but casting tabs from chrome streams from your PC/Mac/whatever

so... has apps been updated for this yet? Anything on ios work with this?

shit i just bought an apple tv the other day... think ill get one of these anyhow lol. 3 free months of netflix which i sub brings this down to like ~$10 so thats impulse range.

TommyT

You could use Firefox with Flash installed to do a Twitch tab that way.

As others were asking about previously, does the extension (which has only been linked here for Chrome) work for other browsers?

edit: I suppose the barrier now, having just installed Chrome on my phone is that extensions aren't supported on Android :O.

Hylian7

As others were asking about previously, does the extension (which has only been linked here for Chrome) work for other browsers?

edit: I suppose the barrier now, having just installed Chrome on my phone is that extensions aren't supported on Android :O.

Craaaaaap, didn't think about that.

In that case, I might be waiting on this until Twitch is supported.

When I saw "Please note that changes may not be possible after the first hour" at the end of my Google Play receipt, I immediately cancelled. Wasn't going to risk paying extra money for slower shipping when I could get it from Amazon with Prime shipping.

Glad I cancelled immediately, but that's a really lame policy for Google to have. It's not like they were even shipping immediately when they got orders - clearly the Play store orders are going to come in much later than the Amazon orders at this point.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
So if I refuse shipment from Google, are they going to refund my shipping costs too?

Nope. You'll get the $35 back for the device only. You're basically paying an $11 early adopter fee for being among the first to pull the trigger.

UrokeJoe

Nope. You'll get the $35 back for the device only. You're basically paying an $11 early adopter fee for being among the first to pull the trigger.

would of been nice if they offered engraving for this. I should of Amazoned. Doh! well it will get here eventually.

Jas

Can't cancel my order from Google Play either. Just checked my account and saw they already charged me for it.

If it ships out this week that's fine but if it's in a couple of weeks...meh

$11? You mean $4 right? That sounds almost unacceptable since my ship date isn't until August 7th. I could understand if they were packing it up right now, but mine isn't shipping for two weeks. I cannot understand how they don't have the ability to cancel an order for a product that they don't have in stock. Definitely the last time I ever order directly from Google.

Ephemeris

I would have jumped in without the netflix incentive. Just the icing on the cake.

I've bought burgers alone that were more than $11 lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lol you schlubs, buying then immediately cancelling and complaining it screws the process up.

Ephemeris

Mine says shipping in a month from Amazon. I'll wait I suppose. Order cancelled.

They don't charge you until it ships. And one time when in a similar situation, I decided not to cancel and they shipped out way earlier than anticipated.

If you were going to get it at a physical store, I'd say cancel on the morning you were going to go pick it up. Just in case.

I ordered when I made my last post. It told me estimated time was July 30th.

What he means is that with 3 months of Netflix running at 24 bucks, the device really only costs $11.

Ah, gotcha.

If I could get 3 months of Netflix for each device, for a total of six months. I think I'd be willing to keep the extra one and just hook it up to a second TV. Still feeling a bit irritated at Google's crappy policies though. Even worse is how you can't even order it now online so not letting me cancel is just robbing someone else of one. Now I just gotta figure out what to do with the extra one since Amazon already shipped mine.

I'm confused. Does it have Netflix, Youtube and the Play Store built in, or do you need to have a device to "stream" the content?

Why no Google Music?

Chris R

Lol you schlubs, buying then immediately cancelling and complaining it screws the process up.

I could see it screwing the process up if the damn thing is shipping today or tomorrow but if mine wasn't shipping until August why can't I cancel my order :<

I'm confused. Does it have Netflix, Youtube and the Play Store built in, or do you need to have a device to "stream" the content?

Why no Google Music?

You need a controller device of some sort. But it works with a browser on a PC, so you're not limited to a phone or tablet.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Why no Google Music?

Google Music works.

It relies on an Android/iOS phone/tablet or laptop with Chrome installed to work.

Top Bottom