• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I turned my back on the N4, but through the power of Chrome, I can finally join Andrex in the sun.

Ascension.

LtNDbKz.png

Now we just need to get you a Chromebook.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TBH I think they should have stuck with the "Chromekey" name. Much better.

Chromecast sounds like a lame podcast.

TommyT

Google Music works.

It relies on an Android/iOS phone/tablet or laptop with Chrome installed to work.

Woah now... as I was mentioning on the previous page, doesn't it have to have the extension installed also? If so, at least for Android, you cannot install extensions on the mobile version of Chrome.

xptoxyz

Woah now... as I was mentioning on the previous page, doesn't it have to have the extension installed also? If so, at least for Android, you cannot install extensions on the mobile version of Chrome.

Not if it's built into the mobile app. (Like he said, Music app, Youtube app etc..)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Android apps can have a Google Cast button built-in. This will send a link to the Chromecast to play (it doesn't mirror/stream from the device.)

For desktop Chrome, you install the Google Cast extension which lets you mirror/stream a tab to the TV.

xptoxyz

Android apps can have a Google Cast button built-in. This will send a link to the Chromecast to play (it doesn't mirror/stream from the device.)

For desktop Chrome, you install the Google Cast extension which lets you mirror/stream a tab to the TV.

Do we know this for sure now? Looking at the fancy SDK image(haven't had time to read through), it seemed like it has to fetch the entire webpage/content inside tab, and that the original device (chrome window) would be relied on simply for sending controls.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Do we know this for sure now? Looking at the fancy SDK image(haven't had time to read through), it seemed like it has to fetch the entire webpage/content inside tab, and that the original device (chrome window) would be relied on simply for sending controls.

That might be true, I haven't looked into it thoroughly.

Ephemeris

All I found on topic was:

The Google Cast extension enables you to find and play content on your Chromecast device from your Chrome browser.

When on Cast optimized sites like YouTube and Netflix, you'll see new options that let you play video on your TV via Chromecast - using your computer as a remote to browse for videos and to control playback.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Clarification. On desktop you can either fetch the entire tab or cast specific parts for websites that support it (netflix, youtube).

And by "cast" a tab, you mean streaming it Remote Desktop-style right?

jvalioli

And by "cast" a tab, you mean streaming it Remote Desktop-style right?

Yes. Chrome encodes the entire webpage, sends it over the write to the chromekey, and the chromekey decodes it. This takes a lot of processing power so it doesn't run very well on ARM chromebooks.
Websites that support non-tab casting will just run software natively on the the device. This isn't very intensive so it barely requires any processing power and runs well on all devices.

So it's a shitty AppleTV that only works with a few Google apps but is half the price? Sounds like Android through and through :p

Least it's better than the Q I guess.

sangreal

damn, I ordered from amazon w/ prime 2-day and it was supposed to come on Friday. So being impatient, I updated it to 1-day and... it's supposed to come on Friday. Hopefully they ship it today anyway or I wasted $4

Please have VLC support this as it's a waste of money otherwise:(

If I understand it correctly, you're not pushing data from one device to the Chromecast. You're just telling the Chromecast where to stream the data from. One possible solution to this I think would be you'd have to have VLC setup a webserver that would stream the content to the Chromecast since Chromecast is essentially just a Chrome browser. So not impossible, but to do stuff like what you're asking for is probably not going to be completely trivial to do.

Someone please correct me if I have things mixed up.

I bought a UG802 Android TV stick thing, and I dunno if I really need this...

But it seems like the ease of use would be way better here, and it's dirt cheap because of that damn Netflix subscription. So whateva!

If I understand it correctly, you're not pushing data from one device to the Chromecast. You're just telling the Chromecast where to stream the data from. One possible solution to this I think would be you'd have to have VLC setup a webserver that would stream the content to the Chromecast since Chromecast is essentially just a Chrome browser. So not impossible, but to do stuff like what you're asking for is probably not going to be completely trivial to do.

Someone please correct me if I have things mixed up.
Seems like what you said makes sense. The only thing I'm unclear of is whether the service you're accessing has to be approved by the Chromecast device. Like, can it ONLY connect to YouTube, Netflix, etc. or is there some open protocol that any server can transit over?

xptoxyz

Seems like what you said makes sense. The only thing I'm unclear of is whether the service you're accessing has to be approved by the Chromecast device. Like, can it ONLY connect to YouTube, Netflix, etc. or is there some open protocol that any server can transit over?

Approved? In what way? Seems like if it's using the API device discovery happens automatically.

jvalioli

You need permission to ship your application.

kehs

Banned

They have an sdk/apis for devs to tap into. The services have to make the effort of supporting it.

Top Bottom