• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cinderella (2015) Certified Fresh ... no really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
cinderella.jpg

Watch the Trailer
Rotten Tomatoes: 86% with 90 reviews
Metacritics 66 with 32 critics

Well so far it's the best rated Live Action adaptation from Disney, and it's so far one of the best 5 movies directed by Sir Kenneth Branagh

Summary
The story of Cinderella follows the fortunes of young Ella whose merchant father remarries following the tragic death of her mother. Keen to support her loving father, Ella welcomes her new stepmother Lady Tremaine and her daughters Anastasia and Drisella into the family home. But, when Ella's father suddenly and unexpectedly passes away, she finds herself at the mercy of a jealous and cruel new family. Finally relegated to nothing more than a servant girl covered in ashes, and spitefully renamed Cinderella, Ella could easily begin to lose hope. Yet, despite the cruelty inflicted upon her, Ella is determined to honor her mother's dying words and to "have courage and be kind." She will not give in to despair nor despise those who abuse her. And then there is the dashing stranger she meets in the woods. Unaware that he is really a prince, not merely an employee at the Palace, Ella finally feels she has met a kindred soul. It appears as if her fortunes may be about to change when the Palace sends out an open invitation for all maidens to attend a ball, raising Ella's hopes of once again encountering the charming "Kit." Alas, her stepmother forbids her to attend and callously rips apart her dress. But, as in all good fairy tales, help is at hand as a kindly beggar woman steps forward and, armed with a pumpkin and a few mice, changes Cinderella's life forever.

Cast
Cate Blanchett (aka Queen Galadriel) as the Stepmother
Hayley Atwell (ake Peggy Carter) as Ella's Mother
Helena Bonham Carter (aka Bellatrix Lestrange) Fairy Godmother
Lily James (aka that girl from Wrath of the Titans) as Cinderella

Reviews so far
Slate
I haven’t even mentioned Ella’s feminism—“we ladies must help one another,” she tells a mouse pal, shooing away a cat—or Kit’s annoyance at being reduced to another Prince Charming. (“I’m not the prince, I’m a prince,” he snaps.) I haven’t mentioned Branagh’s vision of a fairy tale kingdom where nobles and peasants of all races mix easily, a reminder of the director’s roots in modern theatrical Shakespeare, where color-blind casting is the rule, not the exception.

NY daily 3/5
And “Cinderella” couldn’t have come to life without Bonham Carter goosing up the movie’s magic and Blanchett adding old-Hollywood fierceness. The latter is like “Mommie Dearest” mixed with the Joker, a ghoul big enough to fight the movie’s undeniably big heart.

WSJ
This “Cinderella” may be a bit bland for some tastes. Far from advancing a feminist manifesto, the film settles for its heroine following the advice of her dying mother to “have courage and be kind.” Still, that’s not the worst thing in the world for a girl to do, and I was grateful for Disney’s dispensing with its usual sermon of self-empowerment. The physical production, designed by Dante Ferretti and photographed by Haris Zambarloukos, is anything but bland. Its gorgeousness is enhanced by digital effects that are used judiciously in the case of cute mice, and lavishly in the pumpkin-to-coach process, which introduces Cinderella to the joys of first-class travel.

Chicago Tribune
Branagh's regular composer, Patrick Doyle, delivers a persistent dribbling stream of forgettable mood music, and that's too bad; most of the scenes are acted so well, you don't want anything competing with them. Branagh's directorial career is a hardy one indeed. With his Marvel comics foray "Thor" and now Disney's "Cinderella," he has acquitted himself as a dutiful company man with limited visual imagination. On the other hand, he's terrific with actors, and it's pleasing to come away from a movie such as "Cinderella" having felt something for, and with, the archetypes on the screen.

And don't forget the exclusive short Frozen Fever

FrsDvl

Girlfriend just got back from seeing this, she said it was out of this world good.

I'm curious, but I'll wait for the bluray.

Astral Dog

Hmm,,,

I guess there will be a new live action Lion King, Little Mermaid, Hunchback, Hercules now.
Not sure what to think of this.

Hmm,,,

I guess there will be a new live action Lion King, Little Mermaid, Hunchback, Hercules now.
Not sure what to think of this.
As a fan of the Hunchback movie if it were anything like the stage musical (just premiered in Jersey, got to see it last night) I would fucking flip. They'll stick to their safe properties though.

Parch

Just saw this. This is some sugar coated cornball classic Disney, but it really is well done. A really good family movie and anybody that was or is remotely interested in the Cinderella story should see this.

Seriously. This is a pretty good movie worth watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom