• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Roads over roads might be tricky because of the zoning that occurs. However, perhaps a second road type that does not have a zoning area might work.

Though floating zones that are buildable would be neat for a futuristic type of mod. Assuming what's built underneath isn't already too tall.

Unai

Anyone else get this in game with the assets downloaded from workshop?

semttulonkub3.png

Staab

goddamn, I filled my land with train tracks, setup lines and connected it to the outside world : my whole fucking tracks are filled with trains, lol :(
Gonna have to build like 3 parallel lines for it to actually work :/

*underground/tunel train/road
*bigger occupation building (enormous farm,big skycrapper)

Tunnels are supposedly coming in the first big patch.

Agreed on the larger farms and other plots though. It'd be cool to see big megamalls, large sprawling farms and expansive industrial complexes.

goddamn, I filled my land with train tracks, setup lines and connected it to the outside world : my whole fucking tracks are filled with trains, lol :(
Gonna have to build like 3 parallel lines for it to actually work :/

Cargo or passenger trains?

Because I have kept the passenger trains out of the "regional" network and haven't had real train jams yet.

Corgi

Banned
is there any disadvantage of having weird angles and curves going on in the highways? Doesn't seeeeem like cars deaccelerate much from those.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
My starting city isn't going anywhere in terms of traffic. I managed to clear most of the problems by replacing the big one way streets with small one way streets (just because getting rid of traffic lights makes everything much more fluid), but I still one major issue which I can't really solve because of the way I organized the one ways and the zones. I will have to start from scratch, but I feel much better now, knowing what I did wrong from the start. Until I discover the next big fuck-up in the next city.

So I built this little community across the river from my city connected by a single bridge.

I spent about an hour working on other main areas, building tree-lined streets, etc. I had forgotten about my little faraway neighborhood when I discovered that it had become an isolated cesspool of illness, crime and death.

I actually laughed out loud.

is there a post somewhere with the rumored contents of upcoming patches?

There isn't a whole lot of communication from the dev team at the moment. They're still hard at work adding more content and fixing bugs. I doubt such a small team could have foreseen the game being such a big hit so fast.

Here is the post in question from Totalymoo, who works for Paradox with CO and posts regularly to Reddit:

TotalyMoo said:

Seventy70

I really burnt out on this game quickly. Once you realize how everything works, it's just not as fun imo.

People being transported instantly to work really breaks the game.

I really burnt out on this game quickly. Once you realize how everything works, it's just not as fun imo.

People being transported instantly to work really breaks the game.
There's a mod that turns off extreme traffic jam teleporting if you want to see how terrible it is without it.

Hey guys, I'm really interested in picking up this game, but I'm not sure if my laptop can handle it.

I've got a Toshiba Satellite E55-A5114, here are the specs:

Processor: Intel i5-4200U Processor
Graphics: Mobile Intel HD Graphics
Memory: 6GB DDR3L 1600MHz
Hard Drive: 750 GB

If some of you with more PC knowledge than me could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Do trees actually do anything? I see people spamming it everywhere, and being in the Decor panel I assume it increases happiness but so are dirt roads.

That's good news. Thanks. Maybe I'm just from a backwards area but I'd like to see low density be the norm with high density being something that needs to pushed since housing developers seem to prefer making cookie cutter neighborhoods with small yards to maximize revenue. I guess I'm describing more of a scenario mission than a normal game, though.

Lisbon, where I live, has a metro pop of 2.6 million. The tallest building is a twin pair that is 100m and there's a tower with 120m.

hp960x503_1.jpg

397203_449054678466716_1507984372_n.jpg

Here are both of them. I posted the pictures because I love both structures and find them unique and beautiful, specially the twin towers. They're a nod to our history and the form factor is right on the spot.

There's another twin tower couple at 90m. And an hotel at 90 as well. Everything else is below. This is common in European cities, even now that many capitals have some 250m skyscrapers.

My city in the game is this way as well. As soon as high res buildings upgraded and hit 10-13 stories I found the highrise ban option and put it in effect in the entire city.

This is an actual fucking nice option in the game. I thought it was a mistake making only low and high res zones, without a medium density zone like in Sim City and if I'm not mistaken (and boy have I played this game so much, my bad) Cities XL. But this option actually creates essentially medium zoning.

Love it.

MihowZa

Banned
I've been at 42k population, give or take 1k for a while now and can't seem to go up. It doesn't show I need to put more residential areas up and the people are happy. What gives?

I've been at 42k population, give or take 1k for a while now and can't seem to go up. It doesn't show I need to put more residential areas up and the people are happy. What gives?
I ran into the same issue, I think a lot of people died of natural causes at the same time causing a net decrease in pop over a long amount of time. Also ensure services are covering all residential zones, plop down some parks to increase land values, and lower residential tax rate.

Elixist

Humble beginnings (20k pop)

Trying to buy another tile on the lower right section. My goal is to build an outer "O" ring surrounding the island.

you know you've played too much when you look at the full size of these screens and it seems like the warning icons are animating.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I keep hearing that only applies specifically to the tree'd up roads, actually. And that trees themselves, really do nothing other than look pretty.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well.

Hey guys, I'm really interested in picking up this game, but I'm not sure if my laptop can handle it.

I've got a Toshiba Satellite E55-A5114, here are the specs:

Processor: Intel i5-4200U Processor
Graphics: Mobile Intel HD Graphics
Memory: 6GB DDR3L 1600MHz
Hard Drive: 750 GB

If some of you with more PC knowledge than me could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Depends largely on which "Intel HD graphics" version you actually have.

I can tell you it probably won't look better than this:

RandomExpletive said:
running under 720p and less than 30 fps. So will it run? Probably. Will it be a good experience? That depends on your tolerance for pain.

Simple question.

Does the game lags with all that simulation or is just the same as the start of the game?

The guy running it aas at 60 FPS

Cant remember his PC specs but its from reddit

Also, the game only simulates 60K cims I think. And the rest is statistically represented, though someone else can explain that better

This game is pissing me off. I keep running out of power which is totally destroying my city. I've put power plants on a clear, non-traffic heavy road directly from the outside and yet I keep running out of fuel. I'm literally following cars coming into the city and making it to the power plant, but they can't get fuel. What the fuck? It's totally ruining my enjoyment. The game seems awesome but sometimes your shit breaks and there is no hint what so ever as to how to fix it. Just so frustrating.

And while I'm complaining, hearses and garbage trucks seem to be messed up as well. Landfills directly next to industrial zones complaining they have overflowing garbage.

Cargo or passenger trains?

Because I have kept the passenger trains out of the "regional" network and haven't had real train jams yet.

Yeah, I initially just had one big railway shared by cargo and passenger trains and it was an absolute disaster of city-long train jams. Just spent an hour completely rethinking it and having a separate cargo and passenger line (though both connected to the lines in and out of the city) and everything is flowing perfectly now. I've made a mess though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom