• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Zzoram

Kittonwy said:
The only civ I played was revolution on the PS3, am I ready for this?
Indifferent2.gif

Don't start on anything higher than the default difficulty, take it slow, absorb the tutorial, and you'll be good. Remember, the PC Civilization games last a lot longer than the sped up console game, so save the game and don't worry about finishing it in one day.

Sober

trinest said:
They need like an Aboriginal civ.
Iroquois is in the game.

I'm pretty excited for this, but what I really need to stop doing is reading the CivFanatics forums, jeez, some many damn freaks in there. The 2 hour gameplay vid they streamed earlier today? Tons of people there just shitting on it, panicking about how Civ has become a kiddy RTS or something, or calling it a wargame with no more diplomatic options and stuff like that. Or how Steam is going to end the(ir) world. If I keep reading I might get discouraged, seriously.

Kittonwy

Banned
Zzoram said:
Don't start on anything higher than the default difficulty, take it slow, absorb the tutorial, and you'll be good. Remember, the PC Civilization games last a lot longer than the sped up console game, so save the game and don't worry about finishing it in one day.

Thx.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
zoku88 said:
Holy crap. I hadn't noticed that there was no spain.
Likely will be DLC is my guess. Gotta have at least one thing people will want to buy!

xbhaskarx said:
What the hell, there are like 20 different map packs? That's so confusing I won't bother pre-ordering at all.
Several of the options won't be available to most people as they're region-specific. If you're in the US, you only really have a few options (retail, Steam, D2D, Amazon, Walmart).

Sober said:
I'm pretty excited for this, but what I really need to stop doing is reading the CivFanatics forums, jeez, some many damn freaks in there. The 2 hour gameplay vid they streamed earlier today? Tons of people there just shitting on it, panicking about how Civ has become a kiddy RTS or something, or calling it a wargame with no more diplomatic options and stuff like that. Or how Steam is going to end the(ir) world. If I keep reading I might get discouraged, seriously.
If it's not shown, it must not be in the game at all! :lol

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
ixix said:
So the Civ-specific achievements basically revolve around accomplishing some attested or apocryphal achievement of the real civilization, until you get to...

Which is, uh, something else entirely.

:lol

Fantastic.

Zzoram

Wait, Spain isn't in by default? Strange.

I probably won't bother with DLC or expansions. I enjoyed Vanilla Civ IV plenty fine until I got Civ IV Complete for $10 on Steam.

I figure I'll wait for Civ V complete to be $10 before I bother getting all the extra content, and Civ V vanilla will be good enough for the next 3 years.

dream

Zzoram said:
I just did my Steam preload. I'm so pumped for this game.

Remember guys, you don't have to finish a game in a single sitting. That mentality keeps you up until 5am :lol

Don't listen to him. Play until you're no longer physically able to.

Well, my pre-load is complete. We'll see if I miss religion AND corporations. First time hearing corporations are out too. But I'm glad that tech trading out. One of the ways the computer beats my ass. I always play with no tech brokering on.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Im glad religion is gone It was always such a pain when there was more than like 3 and completely f'd up relations with other nations that I otherwise would have been able to work with quite well. As for corporations I could also care less, once I hit the modern era I always got bored so I never really stuck around or put much effort in so I never really played around with corporations.

Everything theyve done with Civ V seems like it will help my game out a lot. Next week cant come soon enough. Epic length games in one sitting ohh yeah.

leng jai

Anyone know an online vendor who have the CE who will ship to Australia? EB got it exclusively here and they ran out :(

Very excited for this. Tried hard to get into Civ IV but failed because it seemed too difficult to jump in for my meager mind. Not so this time, glad to read about all the noob friendly stuff they've been doing.

Masenkame

XiaNaphryz said:
Piety
Unlocks at Classical Era.

This branch cannot be active at the same time as Rationalism.

This is hilarious.

I will definitely try to play this sometime soon. Perhaps when there is a Steam sale, which seems like wishful thinking for November or December.

Palmer_v1

dream said:
Don't listen to him. Play until you're no longer physically able to.

dream
GAF Customer Care Rep
(Today, 11:00 PM)
Reply | Quote

lol. I can't wait to not realize how addicted I am until I notice the glare on my screen is from the sun coming up and it's 7am on a work day. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Ezduo

Banned
Man, I was getting ready for this last night by playing a round of Civ IV. Before I could even get my third city set up and go to war with anyone a freaking barbarian came and stole my second city. I had like a three to one chance of killing him with my archers but he still killed them anyway. I flipped the game off and rage quit. This game is going to kick my ass.

Evlar

Banned
I hear Egypt is also in Africa.

(Except in my next random Civ game, when they'll be a sea-faring civilization spanning a half-dozen islands with whaling as a primary source of wealth. They'll be just north of the Aztecs.)

Quixzlizx

I just went to pre-order the game from Direct2Drive, and they want to charge me sales tax on my order. I almost want to spend $50 on Steam instead of ~$44 on D2D just on principle.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I wanna play some gaffers when this comes out. Preferable ones that aren't very good!

(Preloaded of course. Absolutely can't wait, been gobbling up media for the past few weeks, though as I always do with Civ I'm staying away from the civfanatics stuff. Prefer to learn the game myself.)

Chaser

I still can't believe we're getting Starcraft 2 and Civ 5 in the same year.
How the hell am I supposed to function as a normal human being now? :(

Mobius 1

Chaser said:
I still can't believe we're getting Starcraft 2 and Civ 5 in the same year.
How the hell am I supposed to function as a normal human being now? :(
And GT5. I'm going to lose my job :(

punkypine

I hope this works on my TI 84 with low batteries

but seriously, i've never made any purchase from D2D, and i'd like to keep all my games from one service in case of redownloading. If i buy the d2d version, once i put the key in steam, will i be able to redownload it from there in the future?

Malvolio

I promised myself I would hold off on this one until the Steam winter sale in hopes that I can get it for a bit cheaper. My god that's going to be a hard promise to keep. Game looks amazing. The worst part is I know it's worth every cent full price, but I just don't have the time to get back into Civ right now.

Instro

Great OP, so excited for this. At least this is coming out at the beginning of the quarter for me rather than the middle or the end, would have been disastrous.

Forkball

It sucks that I will fail school and lose all my friends because of this. Oh well, it's probably worth it.

And lol at the DLC. Civfanatics will have those maps and civs ready to download within the first week.

I've never played a Civilization game before and I'm curious how easy and/or difficult is it to get into these games? Will it take me hours and hours before I know wtf I'm doing? Or is it pretty straight forward and easy to pick up quickly?

r1chard

Preload. Oh yeah.

Is it just me or does the Ottomans' special ability seem really lame? Especially compared to Russia's? Or maybe there's way more barbarian ships in V...

Nocebo

I'm so hyped. Can't wait to play a civ that feels fresh! I think I'm going to go with the Egyptians the first time. I love me some world wonders.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Forkball said:
And lol at the DLC. Civfanatics will have those maps and civs ready to download within the first week.
Maps sure, but any user created civs likely won't have a real-time rendered leader fully voiced using the appropriate native language and all that, which I'm assuming will be part of the appeal for getting an "official" version.

Top Bottom