• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ClaDun: This is an RPG! |OT| -- This is a Thread

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
john tv said:
"ClaDun: This is an RPG" is possibly the worst title ever conceived for a video game. Who hires people to do stuff like that? :/
Since the original title is classic dungeon, im guessing they are going for that pokemon angle of overly simplistic title placement

Tiktaalik

Bebpo said:
Yeah, reading the old import thread I think if they can include the DLC at launch (either it's already patched into the US version of the game, or available day 1 as free DLC) it would make the game a lot better:

Does anyone know anything about the status of this DLC for the NA version or if they've changed it otherwise in any way?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
john tv said:
"ClaDun: This is an RPG" is possibly the worst title ever conceived for a video game. Who hires people to do stuff like that? :/

Well... it is why I clicked on this thread.

jiien

Isn't this supposed to be out today? No word on the DLC thing? I'm probably going to buy it regardless.

IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET? IS IT OUT YET?

Takao

Banned
Mejilan said:
Bit early for the US PSN store to have updated, no?

PSN update was last night, the store is currently closed for maintaince. It was part of last night's update.

jiien

Takao said:
PSN update was last night, the store is currently closed for maintaince. It was part of last night's update.

Oh goddamnit, just saw the other thread now. ARGH. I don't think I can hold out for another three hours, this was supposed to be my reward for making it through work today :(

I downloaded this on an impulse purchase last night and played it for about 2 hours. It's actually pretty damn good! I didn't know much about the game before downloading it either. I almost purchased it solely on the way it looked :lol Anyway, here are some impressions/information:

The structure of the game seems to be pretty straightforward. There are dungeons with multiple floors, but they are not randomly generated. As you finish the first couple of tutorial floors, a shop and tavern become available. Here you can purchase new equipment for your characters and create new custom characters. Killing enemies gives you EXP, but you do not level up until you finish a floor. Enemies drop money when killed and there is a monster book that keeps track of every enemy slain, with an additional piece of information unlocked after 10 enemy kills, as expected.

The coolest thing about the game is the Magic Circle system. If you are using one character as your main, dungeon exploring character, your other party members/recruits can act as sub characters. Here you can essentially connect and place sub characters to your main characters which act merely as stat boosters for your main character. You can then activate artifacts, which are basically stat boosting items, on these sub characters that ultimately apply to your main character. This all sounds confusing, but the system is really nice and well thought out.

The neat thing about these sub characters is that they act as shields for your main character in a dungeon. When you are damaged the sub characters basically take it for you until their HP is depleted. If there HP depletes all the way the artifacts that you had activated on them will deactivate and all stats that were pumping your main character through your sub characters will be gone, just for that floor that is.

The even COOLER thing about all this is that artifacts are reusable and they never break, even when deactivated. All equipment is shared between characters as well as artifacts so there isn't much headache inducing inventory management. There is definitely some stuff I left out, like how each character has multiple magic circle types with negative/positive parameter slots and the abilities/spells that characters can learn. There are also 5 classes I believe when you create a custom character that probably have different starting stats and abilities to learn.

The sprite animations are awesome and the music is pretty good too. I usually hate it when there are DL-only games as something like this should have been retail. It's pretty packed! But I am glad I took a dive on this because it's pretty fucking awesome!

I like the title. It shows that the game isn't supposed to be taken seriously and kind of a parody on RPGs...in a good way.

And I think I read in the reviews that the game is pretty humorous.

I haven't been able to pick this up but I want to soon. Actually, I'm also waiting for any news on the DLC thing posted earlier in this thread. I don't want to get this and than force to pay more to get the full content a couple of weeks later. I just want to wait for more info before I drop $20 for it. I really don't want to be paying for only half of the game.

I do want it though. The game looks great!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I was browsing PSN yesterday and was tempted.
But for $20 I want a fucking case, manual, and disc.

john tv said:

They're betting the same people who think Dr. Horrible is funny will like the title.

Amir0x

Banned
john tv said:

you're asking who is behind all the near endless list of bad business decisions over at NIS? I'd like to know too, damn it! :lol

I love them for many of their titles, but christ almighty, it's like they want to go bankrupt.

Anyway, will buy this

Mejilan

NISA's been trying to be cute and clever with their game title for the past few months.
But they just come off as even more amateurish and clownish than usual.
How many times have they changed Badman's name now? :lol

Lain

Mejilan said:
How many times have they changed Badman's name now? :lol

Didn't they change it only once because of it sounding too close to some batman catchphrase or some such?

I personally don't see much wrong with the name for this one.

Aru

Lain said:
Didn't they change it only once because of it sounding too close to some batman catchphrase or some such?

I personally don't see much wrong with the name for this one.

Sony changed the title of the 3rd game in the series too. Now it's No more heroes allowed !
;/

Lain

Aru said:
Sony changed the title of the 3rd game in the series too. Now it's No more heroes allowed !
;/

Well now that's funny XD

I wonder when this will hit the EU store(s). I want it but I'd rather get it from there, since switching back and forth for DD games on PSP is such a pain (for me at least).

More people should be playing this! It's a steal at $20. Good lord, just make your own fucking case and manual out of construction paper. Stupid, stupid reason not to buy this.

Anyway, perfect portable game, super addictive. It can be played in short bursts since each floor can be beaten in about 30-60 seconds. The magic circle thingy takes a bit to get used to but it's a neat system that allows for some nice customization. A little weird not being able to really PLAY as your character if you want to level them up correctly but it just forces you to experiment with some other classes to make a good balance.

Do not buy this for the story. That should be said for almost any game but for some reason people still bitch about it. The story is dumb, blah blah who cares.

In short, buy this game so more people will talk about it. If you refuse to buy this because it doesn't come with a case and manual, I hate you.

I'm about ten hours in. Once I unlocked the random dungeon, that's all I've been doing.

Getting into the random dungeon, getting further and further (getting gold and XP along the way!) until I reach a point where I'm just about to wipeout, then exiting the dungeon. I then use the cash to get some upgrades and then I'm right back in after tweaking my gear/magic circle for whatever primary I decide to take on that run.

If you want a game with loot and levels with a high reward for the time you put into the game in an usual session, this game is great. It's not going to be a 100-500+ hour Diablo 2/Titan Quest monster, but the value here is pretty undeniable for genre enthusiasts, IMO.

I picked this up on launch day (using $20 credit from Halo Reach to buy the Amazon code) and have twenty+ hours in. Tremendous fun picking up new loot, leveling into newly available magic circles, etc. Time split between random and story dungeons, though more so story (where I'm about 330 fame right now).

Between the multiple classes, all the different weapons and armor, and the magic circles, the game makes for great fun just experimenting. Especially with the short dungeons that make it perfect for quick play.

I noticed this thread wasn't exactly lighting the boards on fire. And I--as someone who prefers to come in, make a comment and move on--am not the one to generally expect to stay around and reignite any thread. But this game is deserving of more interest here and elsewhere.

Ashodin

It's kind of sad not too many people on this board have picked it up, I absolutely love this game, and how it's so bite-sized, it fits into many people's lives.

The combat is satisfying, the customization is ace, and the character creation is sweet.

GhaleonQ

Maxrpg said:
It's kind of sad not too many people on this board have picked it up,

Something, something, disc release.

...I convinced my friend to buy it and I played it there. It fully met my high expectations.

Crazetex

If only I was able to play this. :< It looks really solid, and I'm liking the GAF reaction.

Maybe in a few years. For now, I'll just listen to the awesome music.

Mejilan

Thinking about caving on the whole UMD thing, which probably has no chance at this point, and picking this up tonight.
Anyone know if the PSN download works on CFW?
some recent games do, some don't. It was one of the reasons I was hoping for a UMD release.

Lain

Maxrpg said:
It's kind of sad not too many people on this board have picked it up, I absolutely love this game, and how it's so bite-sized, it fits into many people's lives.

The combat is satisfying, the customization is ace, and the character creation is sweet.

As far as I know, it still isn't available on the various EU PSNs (correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't been following the PSN threads for a while), until then I'm not gonna buy it, as I'd have to jump through too many hoops, firstly to get the money on my NA account, then to actually play the game on my PSP, as I'd have to constantly switch certificates to play EU download stuff and NA download stuff.
Sure I already have to do it when I want to play SotN or F/SN, but still, the less I add to it the better.

Anybody ever figure out if the US release comes with the Jp DLC as standard or what?

I would've caved as well, but I lack any way to get either my DS nor PSP online at all.

depward

I do believe it's time I finally purchase this. Been interested in it for so long... need to pull the trigger.

Mejilan

A bit of research indicates that the PSN version isn't working on CFW PSPs, and there seems to be almost no interest in cracking/patching it, so far. Shocking, that last bit.

So that's a no-buy from me, after all.

Yaweee said:
It is easy enough to get a PSP working on anywhere with a wi-fi network. DS an entirely different (an extraordinarily dumb) story.

Lacking a wi-fi network tends to do that then...not in a wireless gaming conducive part of GA nor get out the house much.

I'm one of those A/C adapter-in-another-room portable gamers. : / :lol

Enk

makes good threads.
Mejilan said:
A bit of research indicates that the PSN version isn't working on CFW PSPs, and there seems to be almost no interest in cracking/patching it, so far. Shocking, that last bit.

So that's a no-buy from me, after all.

Damn, I was actually planning to get this. :(

Mejilan

Enk said:
Damn, I was actually planning to get this. :(

Heard a rumor that packaging for a Canadian retail version has been spotted.
It's probably just going to be a case, manual, and PSN voucher, ala Patapon 2, though.

depward

Pulled the trigger and played a couple of hours - it's definitely an interesting game. I'm really enjoying the charm (funny dialogue) and being able to switch the music from retro to modern whenever I want.

The Magic Circle stuff isn't TOO confusing quite yet... but I haven't progressed very far in the game.

I'm liking the kind of rogue-like/ARPG mash-up going on. It's rogue-like in that there are traps in dungeons and there's definitely the times where things can get REAL super quickly. Like, "Here I am traversing a dungeon OH GOD SO MANY ENEMIES" and I'm dead.

But I'm really enjoying it.

I didn't knew this was out already!!

Since HMH and 3D DGH I've been hoping for another retro game to come out, this one looks perfect :D

AwRy108

Been watching this on Amazon's store since it came out. Been seriously close to buying it on several occasions, but somehow I know that the second I make the purchase, they'll announce a sale.

I'm absolutely, without-a-doubt going to purchase this game, but I'm going to hold out a bit longer in hopes of another NIS sale on PSN.

Corto

Grimmy said:
I've spent more than 20 hrs on it - it's perfect for a quick dungeon romp. Definite thumbs up!

Exactly my experience with this game! Whenever I'm on a break this is the game to play... Thumbs up from me too. :D

Top Bottom