• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Climax' 'Avalon' vehical shooter for Nintendo Revolution, Next Xbox and PlayStation3

xexex

Banned
Climax Peeks at Next-Gen Consoles
The developer unveils high-tech shooting on wheels.

November 02, 2004 - Independent developer Climax announced today the development of Avalon, a multi-vehicle shooter designed for next-generation consoles.

Built using the company's advanced "Tomcat" toolset, Climax describes Avalon as a "truly epic" game with a "unique and original twist." Specifics haven't been revealed, but the company promises advanced visuals and innovative multiplayer modes which will take full advantage of the next generation of gaming consoles, such as the PlayStation 3, Nintendo "Revolution," and next Xbox system.

Climax will be presenting Avalon to potential publishers. The company already has a playable prototype of the game.

"Climax's ability to self-fund the prototype has produced huge strides in development which has allowed Avalon to be fully playable before the game is even presented to publishers", states Tony Beckwith, president, Climax.

We'll be back with more on Avalon as soon as new details come in. Stay tuned.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/562/562827p1.html?fromint=1

the pictures of Project Avalon from months ago looked very promising. can't wait to see how this one is progressing. I'm glad to see Climax is supporting Nintendo Revolution btw, as Avalon was previously announced mainly for Xbox2/PS3 iirc, without mentioning Revolution.

Avalon pictures (old)
scan1.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
a truly epic, vehicular shooter with a unique and original twist... sounds familiar :p

xexex

Banned
more from c&vg

Wednesday 3rd November 2004
CLIMAX SPURTS ONTO NEXT-GEN WITH AVALON

UK developer touts 'multi-vehicle shooter' as future of console gaming

10:52 The UK developer behind Xbox RPG Sudeki and the Moto GP series has announced that their next-gen console project Avalon is already at such an advanced stage that they are showing it off to potential publishers.

We've heard of the game before (Climax name-checked a secretive project called Codename Avalon back in August) but the first sketchy gameplay details for the Xbox 2, PS3 and Nintendo Revolution title have now been released.

Set in the near future and combining shooting and driving action as the player battles to conquer the world, Climax is calling Avalon a "multi-vehicle shooter with a unique and original twist". Smells a little like a futuristic GTA game with a focus on military combat.

The title's advance multiplayer features are being pushed hard by Climax, with the developer stating that the online modes will be "truly epic in scale" and will allow players to "come together for spectacular showdowns."

Climax are demonstrating the game on their own top-secret prototype platform and we're told that the current version of the game is "very playable". The developer has designed its own unique toolset codenamed 'Tomcat', which apparently allows extremely sophisticated rendering techniques and "the most stunning graphics ever".

The developer has certainly been extremely active with their preparations for next-gen consoles. We reported back almost exactly a year ago that they had developed a new engine codenamed 'Blimey 2' that would be the foundation for their next-gen projects.

And while assertions of Avalon's epic scale and stunning graphics could just be enthusiastic self-promotion, we're told that it won't be long until Climax reveal the game in public.

As soon as they do we'll bring you the first screens and info.

belgurdo

Banned
"Well, seems people hated our RPG. Guess it's back to generic B-list racers and arcade games for us, then!"

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
belgurdo said:
"Well, seems people hated our RPG. Guess it's back to generic B-list racers and arcade games for us, then!"

motogp was b-list?

i know climax did both, but was it the same team who was responsible for sudeki and the awesome motogp? if its not (which i've always thought), which team is working on avalon?

xexex

Banned
GIbiz, too :)

Climax gives publishers a vision of Avalon
Rob Fahey 15:58 03/11/2004

British developer showcases ambitious next-generation title to US publishers

UK-based development group Climax has announced that it will be showing off a fully playable prototype of its ambitious next-generation console action title Avalon to select publishing executives in the near future.

Originally known as Project Avalon, the game is described as a "multi-vehicle shooter," combining shoot 'em up action with vehicle driving skills, and using the multiplayer capabilities of the next-generation systems to bring it all together in online battles of epic size.

Having worked on the title - and the technology which it uses, codenamed Tomcat - internally, the firm is now hoping to drum up interest in the game within the publishing community.

"Climax' ability to self-fund the prototype has produced huge strides in development," according to Climax president Tony Beckwith, "which has allowed Avalon to be fully playable before the game is even presented to publishers."

Climax, which recently completed work on Xbox-exclusive title Sudeki for Microsoft, has a team dedicated to next-generation console development - which is already producing "impressive results," according to the firm.

xexex

Banned
yeah, i'm sure they don't have Rev dev kits yet but probably Mac based kits with highend ATI graphics, like the current Xenon kits.

xexex

Banned
yet another one :D

Avalon

03/11/2004
By: Chris Leyton

Climax Lifts The Lid On Avalon

Climax confirms that development on its next-gen car/combat title is progressing well, with a playable prototype set to do the publishing rounds soon…

TVG first brought you word about Project Avalon close to a year ago, when the first details of the next-gen title currently in development at Climax Brighton Studio first became apparent.

As today Climax lifted the lid on what is described as a multi-vehicle shooter with a unique and original twist. Set in the near future, Avalon is billed as a fast-paced, action-charged game that challenges players to battle for world domination. The core component of the game is a fusion of intense shooting and high-speed driving action, all of which as you’ll probably realise is delivered in stunning visuals and presentation.

The game is based upon Climax’ innovative toolset named “Tomcat”, which has been built up from a stable platform that has been used is several games previously; associated with its renderer, the toolset is described as truly “next-gen”. Online multiplayer is expected to be a crucial component of the game, creating “spectacular showdowns” that take advantage of the next-generation consoles’ advanced multiplayer capabilities.

"Climax's ability to self-fund the prototype has produced huge strides in development which has allowed Avalon to be fully playable before the game is even presented to publishers", states Tony Beckwith, president, Climax.

Climax will now be presenting the technology and game to major publishers throughout the US; we’ll have a closer look and more information soon.

damn, soon i'm gonna have to start an AIA or avalon information archieve :p

element

this is a sign of desperation from a developer unable to sign with a publisher at the price they want. so they turn to gaming fans to generate buzz to help.

Mashing

Seeing that magazine scan makes me jones for a modern Jackal game. Fucking Konami and Capcom sit on too many great franchises (Bionic Commando anyway... goddamn what are they waiting for?)

jedimike

element said:
this is a sign of desperation from a developer unable to sign with a publisher at the price they want. so they turn to gaming fans to generate buzz to help.

How many teams do they have? I know they got one team working on Moto GP 3 for next gen consoles. Good studio all around. Sudeki was mediocre, but not terrible by any means.

Just went to their website... looks like their doing ATV OffRoad 3 instead of Rainbow Studios. Should be exciting to see how that project turns out. I consider Rainbow the programming Gods of offroad driving (Motocross Madness, ATV Offroad 1 &2, and Splashdown)... but Climax certainly knows how to handle themselves with racers (MotoGP 1 & 2).

xexex

Banned
Seeing that magazine scan makes me jones for a modern Jackal game. Fucking Konami and Capcom sit on too many great franchises (Bionic Commando anyway... goddamn what are they waiting for?)

agreed, Jackal fucking rocked (arcade ver)

element

jedimike said:
How many teams do they have?
Well they have 6 studios worldwide.

I know they got one team working on Moto GP 3 for next gen consoles. Good studio all around. Sudeki was mediocre, but not terrible by any means.
MotoGP 3 is done by their Brighton Studio, and Solent Studio did Sudeki. Solent has as many as three teams. Climax is quite large for a developer.

All I'm saying is developers get their games signed without the public ever knowing about the game. When a developer tells the public about a game that hasn't been signed, they are trying to generate interest to show publishers that people really want the game.

crazy buttocks on a train

quite possibly the greatest username
Climax huh, the warhammer online guys...now we see where all og Games workshop's money went instead of the MMORPG, no wonder GW flipped out. :D :D

developing an unrelated game behind the financiers/licensors back is a bad thing, hah

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
I did also. :(
I'm dissapointed with the graphics in the screens.. but then again I really don't know what to expect...

EDIT: Do I not have a tag? I'm not even good enough to be a member anymore :(.

TheQueen'sOwn said:
I did also. :(
I'm dissapointed with the graphics in the screens.. but then again I really don't know what to expect...

EDIT: Do I not have a tag? I'm not even good enough to be a member anymore :(.

those scans are freaking old!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The only platform avalon is "for" right now is high end overclocked PCs.

It isn't announced for any platform until a publisher picks it up. By mentioning Nintendo Revolution, PS3 and Xenon, they're simply saying they're willing to develop it for any of those systems. But i'll be up to the publisher where it eventually goes.

element

crazy buttocks on a train said:
Climax huh, the warhammer online guys...now we see where all og Games workshop's money went instead of the MMORPG, no wonder GW flipped out. :D :D

developing an unrelated game behind the financiers/licensors back is a bad thing, hah
the MMO division was only working on one game and their other teams were generating more then enough money with Moto GP, Tron 2.0, ATV, and others. If anything making a MMO game is just a huge undertaking. Climax has actually started to self fund the Warhammer Online project to keep it going.

Hermit

Reminds me of that one Retro Studios-developed (and eventually canned) car combat game for NGC. Can't recall its name.

Top Bottom