• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clone MiSTer FPGA for $100 also has a flagship model with video scaler? and a sub $225 AMOLED handheld apparently

VGEsoterica

Whole lot of excitement going on in the world of FPGA gaming the last month or so with Taki Udon and people they are working with cloning the Terasic DE10-NANO FPGA board used in MiSTer FPGA for a sales price of under $100, putting FPGA gaming on the MiSTer scale potentially in everyone's hands for well under $200 all in.

But now apparently a flagship model has arrived with HDMI and analog in ports which hints at a new retro scaler on the market that would STILL come in under the $225 cost of the DE10-Nano board alone...plus an AMOLED handheld MiSTer FPGA...also for sub $200.

Seems like MiSTer is about to become a LOT cheaper and more mainstream in the next couple months

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It should be much easier and cheaper to buy your own MISTers. I'm going to be keeping an eye on this new development.

squidilix

That's mean this clone box using FPGA + a scaler of (potentialy) the same quality of Retrotink 4k wich I can use all console on in for only 225$?

StereoVsn

Love it. Not sure if I need scaler version since I have Retrotink 5x but either way this is great. A lot more folks will be able to try it.

SScorpio

So this would be better than a retrotink4k? I'm in the market for one but I can't stomach paying $700 for one right now
Without watching the video, the HDMI chip the DE10 Nano has can't handle 4K, but a clone with a newer chip might. That would at least let you use the MiSTer scaler on an HDMI-in. But the Tink 4K does a lot more stuff. It's unknown if this would do that as well. But just doing 720p->4K with CRT filters or 240p would suit most people's needs.

VGEsoterica

Without watching the video, the HDMI chip the DE10 Nano has can't handle 4K, but a clone with a newer chip might. That would at least let you use the MiSTer scaler on an HDMI-in. But the Tink 4K does a lot more stuff. It's unknown if this would do that as well. But just doing 720p->4K with CRT filters or 240p would suit most people's needs.
It could easily be more hardware or something adjacent

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’ve got a MiSTer and it’s the absolute greatest. Got it hooked up to my PVM via RGB and it just looks and plays phenomenally. I especially love playing arcade games on it.

This project is dope. I hope everyone gets a chance to get an affordable MiSTer.

VGEsoterica

I’ve got a MiSTer and it’s the absolute greatest. Got it hooked up to my PVM via RGB and it just looks and plays phenomenally. I especially love playing arcade games on it.

This project is dope. I hope everyone gets a chance to get an affordable MiSTer.
having it on a PVM is always an even better time

SScorpio

When is this ting coming out?

There's currently no date, but the $99 clone, IO board, and USB hub have been under mass production for the last week.

Taki Udon posts updates to his Twitter, it's best to follow there and it's where release announcements will be made. The original date for the clone was last week, so maybe a release of that in 1-2 weeks? The consolized version and handheld would be fall if not later in the year.

Top Bottom