• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloudberry Kingdom |OT| You are already dead

Apologies for the pimp, but we really liked it at Push Square:
http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/psn/cloudberry_kingdom

A colourful, addictive, and satisfying platformer, Cloudberry Kingdom is fantastic fun, and only gets more enjoyable when friends are added to the mix. Whether you enjoy quick stints of responsive platforming, or you’re determined to top the competitive online leaderboards, this endless supply of randomly generated content delivers plenty of difficult but delicious value.

:)

Refyref

Just a note to the OP: There is also a 3DS version coming. I'm not sure when, though. Probably along with all the other late versions.

VanWinkle

Game is great fun so far, but man I wish the presentation was upped a notch or ten. Still, I'm really enjoying it, and am hoping it turns out to be cross-buy because I REALLY wanted it on Vita.

Just a note to the OP: There is also a 3DS version coming. I'm not sure when, though. Probably along with all the other late versions.

I'm not sure if that's the case, or at least not anymore. They had an update about a week ago on their Kickstarter that stated the following:

jqW4KtzLHNZ9G.JPG

Refyref

Game is great fun so far, but man I wish the presentation was upped a notch or ten. Still, I'm really enjoying it, and am hoping it turns out to be cross-buy because I REALLY wanted it on Vita.

I'm not sure if that's the case, or at least not anymore. They had an update about a week ago on their Kickstarter that stated the following:

jqW4KtzLHNZ9G.JPG

Weird, since they announced that version just 2-3 weeks ago, IIRC.

EDIT: Yea, about a month and so ago. I guess they'll be making it after the above platforms.

I hope it drops early on the EU PSN, I'm tempted to use this as a catalyst for writing reviews again (as with every new release seemingly) - have to set up a new blog first though ugh.

Do we know if Pwnee are going to support it after launch? Still curious about the Steam release date change, as I swear that it was showing up for release tomorrow as opposed to August 2nd.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The game is fun, but it feels so LIFELESS.

Music is like a CD that plays in the background, going through tracks. No Fade in / Fade out or stopping with the stage... it just feels like basic .wav files, which lend nothing to the stages. I like them on their own, but would it have been too much to ask for music that themes with the stage designs, or something?

The sound effects have no "oomph" to them at all. No "coin collecting" sound, no strong jump sound, the jetpack sounds like it barely exist, etc.

The character is... there, but he doesn't have any personality whatsoever (though at least you can customize him...). He's just something for you to move through an environment.

The stage gimmicks are very haphazard and tossed together, and that... actually feels a lot like Mario! So I guess mission accomplished?

The actual gameplay is a mixed bag for me, in that it feels great when it all works out, and I actually really like 1) It's multiplayer, and 2) Once you start moving, you can generally keep on moving! To play with another, and have your motions mimic a perfect co-run together, is the only time anything in this game approaches actual beauty.

The downside is that none of it feels 100% intuitive. I hate how the Jetpacks have no real lift to them after the initial sputter, for instance. And sometimes the descent of jumping off a bounce block feels TOO fast. It's like the physics were made with "make it work" first, "make it feel good" at a distanced second. I guess this is an effect of the randomly generated stages + always all beatable! though, so I can live with it...

Arcade mode is fun. It's nice having the Mario-style "get a bunch of lives, then lose them at tricky parts!" feeling going on, and the rush-style gameplay fits the mode well.

I've completed 2 episodes of the "Story" mode with a co-op player, and... errm... story. Right. That opening cinematic was kinda interesting (though so absolutely jarringly different from the game's look itself), but is there any attempt to tie anything together into a "story" at all? I actually kinda wish they had SOMETHING to make it feel like you were making progress occurring at the end of each stage (Similar to how Flying Hamster HD would always make the hamster ALMOST reach his girlfriend... only for her to get snatched away at the last second). The quick transitions are good for playing, but just feel so LIFELESS.

Technically competent, but lacking artistic polish and identity.

steveovig

I only had an hour to play but so far, this game is AWESOME! It's hard at times but it has quick respawns, which I like. Only $7.99 too!

Amir0x

Banned
Given how overwhelmingly positive impressions are, goes to show Kickstarter can work.

And for only a little over $20,000!

VanWinkle

Why on EARTH can you not save your state on the story mode? I got to level 77 (there are apparently 40 levels in each chapter, so I was three levels from the end of Chapter 2), quit to watch a blu-ray, and went back and I had to restart the Chapter from the beginning. This is infuriating because those levels are insanely hard.

Edit: Nevermind. I figured it out. My goodness, I can't believe I missed the "Continue" button.

I've seen some footage of this game from a couple sources now, and I just can't understand it. To me it looks just like some flash-game from Newgrounds or whatever. Can anyone enligthen me?

I've seen some footage of this game from a couple sources now, and I just can't understand it. To me it looks just like some flash-game from Newgrounds or whatever. Can anyone enligthen me?

Think of a rock hard platformer like Super Meat Boy, but add in a generous helping of randomly generated levels alongside an abundance of wacky abilities that completely vary up the gameplay.

Dawg

Given how overwhelmingly positive impressions are, goes to show Kickstarter can work.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and FTL already proved that for me, this just further proves it. (Shadowrun too imo)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

For me, this game has a lot of what I fear about Kickstarter games; The final product will show every bit of passion the dev has in their mechanics and ideas, but the inexperience will show in everything else involved with the game, making the product feel under-cooked as a whole.

I think Shovel Knight will be my real test for KS-style projects, since I've backed very few up to this point. It looks poised to deliver the fully fleshed out experience, which I'm quite happy with.

Knowing it was "only a bit over 20k" helps put it into perspective though...

zroid

Banned
this looks ridic

will probably buy

maybe on Wii U, got some credit burning a hole in my eShop wallet

is the Vita version going to be cross-buy with PS3? That might push me towards PSN.

VanWinkle

this looks ridic

will probably buy

maybe on Wii U, got some credit burning a hole in my eShop wallet

is the Vita version going to be cross-buy with PS3? That might push me towards PSN.

We haven't heard unfortunately. I wish we knew for sure.

That gif sold me, gonna buy this tomorrow. I ended up buying Stealth Inc, and now I'm buying this. I goofed and missed the pre-order discount.

zroid

Banned
We haven't heard unfortunately. I wish we knew for sure.

Hmmm, ok thanks. Maybe I'll wait a little while for some clarification. A month or so. I'm definitely in no rush to buy any other games right now, picking up four within the next couple weeks, haha.

VanWinkle

Well got to level 93 but def needed a break. Holy crap!

Yeah I'm somewhere around 80-something. It's so hard.

Edit: Oh man. I just checked out your stream (well previously recorded now) because I wanted to see if you had as hard a time with level 77 as I did. I spent about 20 FURIOUS minutes on it. Now I find out that there's power ups like slow time and show track! MAN I wish I had known that. Although I guess I feel proud that I made it through without any power-ups. :p

Yeah I'm somewhere around 80-something. It's so hard.

Edit: Oh man. I just checked out your stream (well previously recorded now) because I wanted to see if you had as hard a time with level 77 as I did. I spent about 20 FURIOUS minutes on it. Now I find out that there's power ups like slow time and show track! MAN I wish I had known that. Although I guess I feel proud that I made it through without any power-ups. :p

Oh man that is rough, yeah I accidentally stumbled upon it as well. Def good to know. I can't imagine level 200 +

Thoraxes

Controller will probably influence my choice here, so i'll probably go Wii U for a good D-Pad on this. Wish I owned a pro controller so I could play this on my PC cause my DS3 won't cut it.

Art isn't that great, but wound up putting a good two solid hours while drinking. Still pretty early and terrible at the game , but I much prefer the time rush mode over escalation.

tensuke

Kevin Sorbo? DISAPPOINTED!

This looks really fun though, but also really frustrating. I hope it treads the line closer to fun as I can't sit there for an hour trying to beat one level. Will definitely pick this up on Vita though.

omg_mjd

Love the art style. Is there seriously going to be a Vita version? I'm getting that one then, otherwise I'll get it on Steam. Either way this game will be mine.

Intru

Normally I'd be interested, and it's pretty shallow, but the horrible art style and the poor character animation immediately kills any interest I have here.

I'm going to agree with SAB CA, it looks lifeless.

King_Moc

Banned
Will get it to satisfy my hardcore 2d platformer itch. The artstyle is abhorrent though. Looks like a flash game that was made in someone's lunch break.

I was interested until I saw that it was price gouged for Australian's on steam.

Seriously, we are doing that for indie games now? I know Ubisoft but still.

StaSeb

The game is really fun, if you dig a challenge and gameplay like this. I found the controls to be nicely tight and precise. The soundtrack kicks ass - even though it just plays along like a CD, like someone mentioned before.

With time you develop a kind of flow. You see the gems and try to collect all those as fast as possible. And by doing this you are doing half the work of figuring out the ideal line. The gems are hints and there is a lot of trust involed - like taking a big jump in sawblades and shit like that. If you are in said flow, everything will miss you closely. But at times it can be frustrating though,

The random and artificial nature of the level-design also seems a bit lifeless at times. There is a certain human touch missing. But overall I found my time very pleasent. Cloudberry Kingdom reminded me a lot of Trials HD - you can instantly retry. Over and over and over again. That is kind of addicting. Also the difficulty rises very slowly.

Level 84 and still going strong.

Frodo

Fist time following Nintendo on Facebook is worth something. I had no idea this game is coming out tomorrow!

I want it! Looks awesome! No level is ever the same! EVER! How cool is that?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like there isn't much hype for this game. Is it any good? $10 seems kinda tempting on Wii U.

Wondering the same thing. Especially with $30 eShop credit I have from FE: Awakening and SMT IV.

$10 is pretty tempting, GameSpot's review said it was pretty good.

panda21

Is there a reason the art looks so much like The Oatmeal? (and reminds me of how much I don't like The Oatmeal)

I knew it reminded me of something but i couldn't figure out what. i really dislike it. it just screams lame nod and wink internet memes humor. i would be amazed if there wasnt some reference to bacon in the game.

Top Bottom