• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloudberry Kingdom |OT| You are already dead

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
isKzsYIQTiaac.gif

Shame that I would never be able to play a game of this difficulty. >>;

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Seems like there isn't much hype for this game. Is it any good? $10 seems kinda tempting on Wii U.

If you can simply appreciate the gameplay of it, then it's good. Many in this thread seem to love it's dynamic, adjustable difficulty, and if you can all get into the game's rhythm, it can be fun to play local co-op together.

But if you want games with some character, personality, or professionalism to them, then no, it's horrible! Presentation is really amateur all around, from visual to sounds. It's mechanically good, but has no clear soul to it.

It's one of very few digital offerings that even I'd suggest one wait for a sale on; it just doesn't seem to have the polish of a $10 game in this day and age. You'd be better off spending the money on just about any other gaming curiosity, for now, IMHO.

If you can simply appreciate the gameplay of it, then it's good. Many in this thread seem to love it's dynamic, adjustable difficulty, and if you can all get into the game's rhythm, it can be fun to play local co-op together.

But if you want games with some character, personality, or professionalism to them, then no, it's horrible! Presentation is really amateur all around, from visual to sounds. It's mechanically good, but has no clear soul to it.

It's one of very few digital offerings that even I'd suggest one wait for a sale on; it just doesn't seem to have the polish of a $10 game in this day and age. You'd be better off spending the money on just about any other gaming curiosity, for now, IMHO.

Thanks! I'll probably pick it up some day. I need to stay strong for Pikmin in 4 days.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Just got this for Wii U. I have to say the soundtrack is amazing.

GulAtiCa

This is fun so far, the music in it is amazing.

Even with it currently being super easy in the arcade, I still suck. haha

Mr. Spiky Ball is way too happy!

Edit: I just beat a "Abusive" and "Hardcore" level in Free Play. Sure did take a while!

DirtyLarry

Broke down and purchased this last night on the PS3. Second game in a row I did not preorder to take advantage of the $7.99 price tag. What an idiot.

Anyway, not sure if I love it or hate it. I think I am leaning towards the latter. For a platformer that requires such precision, the controls really do feel very floaty. I am guessing that is intentional, however that is what has me not so sure.

I am hoping something just clicks and it starts feeling right. I almost felt that last night, but never quite did.

Also I lost a decent amount of progress as I did not realize it only saves on each Chapter in Story Mode, and unless I am missing something very obvious, I did not see any clear indication of exactly what Levels make up each Chapter.

Also I lost a decent amount of progress as I did not realize it only saves on each Chapter in Story Mode, and unless I am missing something very obvious, I did not see any clear indication of exactly what Levels make up each Chapter.

I made the mistake of not realizing there was a "Continue" button at the top of the story mode menu. I kept starting the chapter over and over again until I checked this forum and saw someone post about it.

Salaadin

This game is amazing. I didnt even hear of it until the Playstation preorder campaign thing.
Sat down to play it tonight and its so freaking fun. The music and the fast gameplay and the the difficulty...its all so nicely done.

And couch co-op is great too. Me and my brother were rolling at some of the moments this game creates. Its hilarious to see your little guy frantically jumping between spikes and swinging balls.

DirtyLarry

I made the mistake of not realizing there was a "Continue" button at the top of the story mode menu. I kept starting the chapter over and over again until I checked this forum and saw someone post about it.
Turns out I made the same exact mistake myself. Finally realized it pretty much by accident.

So I hung out with my good friend Mary Jane as I normally do on the weekend, and she helped get me to the proper state of mind where things pretty much did click. This game is one of those ones I absolutely need to be in the right mood. Tonight I was a did a decent amount of the story.

This game has an excellent pacing. Like, Super Mario encourages you to fly through stages but punishes impatience. Cloudberry Kingdom is like the opposite; the crazy obstacles would push you towards caution but the path through generally "unlocks" (all the pieces are in the right place) when you are going full speed ahead. If you stop the obstacles get out of sync and you can't progress.

Brilliant.

This game has an excellent pacing. Like, Super Mario encourages you to fly through stages but punishes impatience. Cloudberry Kingdom is like the opposite; the crazy obstacles would push you towards caution but the path through generally "unlocks" (all the pieces are in the right place) when you are going full speed ahead. If you stop the obstacles get out of sync and you can't progress.

Brilliant.

What's great, though, is that every once in a while you come across a few levels where this isn't the case. So, you are running full speed and suddenly realize that you have to slow down.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
After watching the quick look... this looks like any given piece of shit you'd play on Newgrounds in 2002. Atrocious art style and busted level designs (due, obviously, to the lack of design.)

That's without playing it, so it doesn't mean a whole lot... but wow, did it make a bad first impression. Still kinda tempted to at least try it, though, because I love platformers... but this really does look bad. Maybe when it's in some bundle for a penny.

baphomet

The game isn't all that hot. It's far too easy...yes too easy. The game basically makes a hole for you to be able to go through pretty easily. It's like that on all the levels, even the ridiculous looking ones in the gifs. Music is also really amateur.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The game really is much easier than one would expect. It's still full of frustrating moments, of course, but for most levels, even the stupidly hard ones, all you have to do is run straight ahead and not stop.

But then sometimes you get levels that really are nearly impossible. Like, sometimes you'll watch a CPU playthrough and they'll do things like momentarily turn around for a split second or do a small jump in a place where there's no reason to jump, just to burn a little bit of time so the path will be open again.

I would say that I were a little disappointed with it, but it's the first game in a long time that I've been so addicted to that both of my thumbs hurt. So that's gotta count for something. :lol

Beat the story mode yesterday.

Mixed feelings. Mechanically I think the game feels very good. Controls very well. The artstyle isn't very good however.

Worst of all I felt like some of the later story mode levels were just impossible to do without literally trying like 300 times each. I felt like I had to use the slow-mo and pathing to get through the level sometimes, rather than it just being a bonus. Didn't like feeling that way.

I think the arcade modes are much better than the story mode. I dislike that I have to use "Bobs" I don't like to unlock the rest though. Minor complaint however, because getting to level 25 or 50 to unlock the next character is very easy.

Flawed game, but not bad. I think the arcade mode is where the fun is at, so I'd say don't feel bad about ignoring story mode and just playing arcade mode.

medze

Looks wholly unappealing. I enjoy games that provide a challenge but this just doesn't look fun at all. The aforementioned lackluster art style doesn't do the game any favors either.

tolkir

My top level in story mode.

zlcfzrfazm4jmzzmdui4kr7.jpeg

If somebody beats this level, I'd like to see the last level.
They are 320 levels.

Top Bottom