• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN anchor tears up talking about shellshocked Syrian boy pulled out of rubble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Video: Http://www.snappytv.com/tc/2622641

omran-aleppo.jpg

Please read the full article at NYT

How Omran Daqneesh, 5, Became a Symbol of Aleppo’s Suffering
alone, a small boy coated with gray dust and encrusted blood. His little feet barely extend beyond his seat. He stares, bewildered, shocked and, above all, weary, as if channeling the mood of Syria.

The boy, identified by medical workers as Omran Daqneesh, 5, was pulled from a damaged building after a Syrian government or Russian airstrike in the northern city of Aleppo. He was one of 12 children under the age of 15 treated on Wednesday, not a particularly unusual figure, at one of the hospitals in the city’s rebel-held eastern section, according to doctors there.

We dont know who was responsible for the strike, but Syrian regime has been laying siege on Aleppo for months now. Regime and Russia have been bombing civilians, hospitals, mpsques, and every other thing in existence. The line for medical supplies was only open few days ago

This is another story from Aleppo.

Aleppo's angel: A nurse's devotion to Aleppo's children - CNN.com
Several hours later, early July 24, a second airstrike hit. Staff members scrambled to save the infants and rushed them to a safer location in the basement, but Ali -- already weak -- lost his oxygen supply. Malaika and a doctor tried to perform manual CPR on Ali's fragile body but knew there was nothing they could do. Malaika held him as he died, struggling to breathe.
160812132600-01-aleppo-nurse-malika-large-169.jpg

Bashar Al Assad is easily the worst tyrant middle east has seen. His opponents and their kill count is peanuts compared to the Regime's.

Dice//

Banned
There is so much that can be said here, all said before, none of it really mattering or helpful in a way that lets people put down firearms because that's just not really how it works.

But what a bunch of bullshit.

If people really wanted to go to war just get one nation's single fucking representative to fight another single fucking representative in a fist fight, don't drag every-fucking-one into it, like this kid, like countless kids, like countless men women and children who largely die because we couldn't use words.

Well tell that to Russia, Iran and their stupid baby Alassad. As long as the world is not willing to take something actually decisive this won't end anytime soon.
Russia has threatened to veto any NATO action. There is no way around this.

Goodstyle

Well tell that to Russia, Iran and their stupid baby Alassad. As long as the world is not willing to take something actually decisive this won't end anytime soon.

What do you mean by "decisive"? What possible actions and steps could be taken to end this conflict?

Bashar Al Assad is easily the worst tyrant middle east has seen. His opponents and their kill count is peanuts compared to the Regime's.

Easily. ISIS is terrible but Assad has had both the means and will to kill at a pace they cannot. This also lines up with the Russian addition of heavy bombers so I wouldn't be surprised if it was either committing this.

What infuriates me the most is this kid isn't even safe at the hospital, Russian and Syrian airstrikes have been targeting them. So much so NGOs have stopped telling them their coordinates in fear of being bombed.

Baybars

Banned

Via a tomahawk cruise missile on the presidential palace in damascus.

As a muslim i will say that what the french and even mongols have done to levant pales into insignificance to what Bashar al assad has done.

Even zionists the arch enemy of arabs have shown more mercy and compassion to syrian children than bashar al assad. Syrians actually have been treated in israeli hospitals. Just ponder that fact

Abounder

Banned
Poster child of foreign policy. Hundreds of thousands ranging from children to doctors without borders have lost their lives in senseless violence. RIP.

Vyer

The video is even worse. He sits there stunned, and then reaches up to feel the wound on his head and looks at his hand to see the blood on it, just still in a dazed shock. A 5 year old kid. It's heartbreaking

Goodstyle

As a muslim i will say that what the french and even mongols have done to levant pales into significance to what Bashar al assad has done.

Even zionists the arch enemy of arabs have shown more mercy and compassion to syrian children than bashar al assad.

So you wanna bomb the bad guys huh? Are you sure? Because Americans fucking hate when that happens, and they never work. Libya is apparently worse than it ever was after America intervened, so how would doing something in Syria be better?

Every time America goes somewhere to "save" a population from an abusive regime, things get worse, and we never let our leaders live it down. People shit on Hillary for being a war hawk for this exact stuff. It's easy to read about dying children and say "that's terrible, we should do something", but there's never any good options.

When it comes to this stuff, I never wanna hear shit from people that constantly whine about how our government is full of "neocon warhawks", and say these arguments with no nuance and understanding on why they become "warhawks".

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I want to cry every time I see these photos of him. It's just horribly sad. He reminds me of my nephews.

I really wish he's taken care of, and taken out of there, with family or in the care of people who love him.

Hesemonni

Banned
Saw the picture earlier today and definately the feel bad news of the day :/ I have boy a little bit younger and yeah, makes you feel like shit.

Imagining any child caught in the wreckage of war rips my heart up and makes me hug and kiss my daughter in a moment of desperation and remorse.

So you wanna bomb the bad guys huh? Are you sure? Because Americans fucking hate when that happens, and they never work. Libya is apparently worse than it ever was after America intervened, so how would doing something in Syria be better?

Every time America goes somewhere to "save" a population from an abusive regime, things get worse, and we never let our leaders live it down. People shit on Hillary for being a war hawk for this exact stuff.
Libya is much better than Syria last I checked. Just this week, the Libyan forces ejected the last remnants of ISIS from Sirte. Out of 3 governments, 2 merged. An international coalition in the form of NATO is the correct solution, not cowboying like Bush in 2003.

sphinx

the piano man
you know, it's when I am confronted with this kind of facts that I wished a meteorite would crash on earth and wipe us all out. Fuck humans, all of us, we all fail so hard.

Baybars

Banned

Every time America goes somewhere to "save" a population from an abusive regime, things get worse, and we never let our leaders live it down. People shit on Hillary for being a war hawk for this exact stuff.

Yeah you mean like bosnia and kosovo all which had american intervention resulting in two great muslim democracies with huge pro american population. That america is dead. Now america is filled with folks who are scared. scared of doing the right thing. God bless bill clinton. Didnt give a fuck about russia or United nations. Did the right think and today millions of bosnians, croats and kosovors are living in peace.

And by the way libya was heading for a syria situation. Gaddafi promised to massacre his people. You know how many libyans died so far? 4k. You know how many syrians died so far? 400k. Yeah, even with failed cleanup in libya, syrians like omran daqneesh would kill for a libya sitiuation.

Goodstyle

Libya is much better than Syria last I checked. Just this week, the Libyan forces ejected the last remnants of ISIS from Sirte. Out of 3 governments, 2 merged. An international coalition in the form of NATO is the correct solution, not cowboying like Bush in 2003.

Then why is it always cited as an unmitigated disaster/failure of the Obama administration? If Libya is better off now than it was under Gaddafi, why is Obama and Hillary (but mostly Hillary) still getting shit for it?

I cannot see any solution to any of this.

What would seem to be obvious is that Assad must be killed, but I'm sure there are a thousand ways that action can lead to something even worse.

Baybars

Banned
Then why is it always sited as an unmitigated disaster/failure of the Obama administration? If Libya is better off now than it was under Gaddafi, why is Obama and Hillary (but mostly Hillary) still getting shit for it?

Because people haven't lived in gaddafi's libya. Where men rape african women fleeing war zones. Where gaddafi who bombed an airliner used to rape children at will and murder his people in prisons. People do not rise up if life is good.

Then why is it always sited as an unmitigated disaster/failure of the Obama administration? If Libya is better off now than it was under Gaddafi, why is Obama and Hillary (but mostly Hillary) still getting shit for it?
It's not. Its a Republican talking point. Its a mess right now, but not on the scale of oh my god the apocalypse is here bad that's currently plaguing Syria.

UN/NATO/US had two options for Libya: Let the dictator go on rampage or intervene. They intervened.

UN/NATO/US had only one option in Syria: Let the dictator go on rampage. Look at the results.

digdug2k

Because Hillary is a warhawk who wants to take over the world so she can populate it with lizard people? Is this even a serious question?

sirap

you know, it's when I am confronted with this kind of facts that I wished a meteorite would crash on earth and wipe us all out. Fuck humans, all of us, we all fail so hard.

I don't get these posts. Why would you want everyone to die? Fuck the innocent people (including the Syrian boy in the OP) who did nothing wrong except exist?

Punish the ones responsible. Not the victims.

Giganteus

What do you really think is going to happen if that occurred? I understand this is NeoGAF, not foreignpolicyexperts.whatever, but Syria is more complicated than that. Bloodshed won't end if you do that. I understand your frustration, though.

It's not. Its a Republican talking point. Its a mess right now, but not on the scale of oh my god the apocalypse is here bad that's currently plaguing Syria.

UN/NATO/US had two options for Libya: Let the dictator go on rampage or intervene. They intervened.

UN/NATO/US had only one option in Syria: Let the dictator go on rampage. Look at the results.

Even with the US/NATO inaction it allowed Russia to intervene and we can see how badly that is going. From indiscriminate bombing of civilian targets, to white phosphorus being used. That and zero accountability from their side. Even when the US mistakingly struck civilians there was still a level of discourse and accountability held for the loss of civilian life. Russia and Assad are actively targeting civilians , aid groups, and civilian infrastructure at will.

The United States doesn't have any problems supporting tyrants and governments that violate human rights either. We shouldn't look to the US to solve shit.

What do you really think is going to happen if that occurred? I understand this is NeoGAF, not foreignpolicyexperts.whatever, but Syria is more complicated than that. Bloodshed won't end if you do that. I understand your frustration, though.
Taking out Assad is the #1 step to any process. That is absolutely critical. This fucker has the blood of 200k-400k people on his hands, with millions more trapped, sieged, and tortured. At the rate he's going, he's going to surpass every dictator in Middle East history. But taking him out is not in vacuum. It should be followed by taking out ISIS as well (like we're doing in Iraq which by the way is increasingly close to being free from ISIS) and leading an effort at empowering the national transition council. Basically follow the Libya/Bosnia model but learn from mistakes.

Well, bloodshed is what happens right now. Taking out one conflict party would provide room for a new and better party. Though the USA in combination with Saudi-Arabia are pretty bad at sustainable foreign policy, so pretty much doing nothing is a bad decision but at least one with predictabe results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom