• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN anchor tears up talking about shellshocked Syrian boy pulled out of rubble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oriel

CqJ5lH5WEAEqudo.jpg:large

This is why there should have been a no-fly zone enforced at the outbreak of hostilities, with or without UN authorization. Putin is directly responsible for this war. Fuck him and his apologists.

Giganteus

Even with the US/NATO inaction it allowed Russia to intervene and we can see how badly that is going. From indiscriminate bombing of civilian targets, to white phosphorus being used. That and zero accountability from their side. Even when the US mistakingly struck civilians there was still a level of discourse and accountability held for the loss of civilian life. Russia and Assad are actively targeting civilians , aid groups, and civilian infrastructure at will.
You're 100% right, but I'd like to add that in this war I've seen pictures, videos, and stories of civilians getting killed by multiple factions in this terrible conflict. Discriminate and indiscriminate shelling by rebel groups into regime-held areas that have killed and injured dozens, as well.

As a father of a little baby girl, i was watching this video this morning while drinking my daily morning coffee and man, i just cried... it's hard to watch a cute little boy like this, i just want to hug him and tell him that everything's gonna be fine... i just want peace in the world. Can we have that please ? war is good for nothing.

I know it's easier said than done but fuck...

sphinx

the piano man
I don't get these posts. Why would you want everyone to die? Fuck the innocent people (including the Syrian boy in the OP) who did nothing wrong except exist?

Punish the ones responsible. Not the victims.

I don't actually mean it.

that being said...

I don't think we have ever reached a minimum level of decency for our kind in our history and these pics and video and the whole situation is just another remainder of that.

one things that pisses me off to no end is that we can do nothing about it because all of us in this forum and reading this thread, we would need money AND power to (maybe) make a change and we don't have it, so it stays that way. so much impotence

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
when he wipes his face and sees the blood and then goes to wipe it on the seat but thinks better of it.... I can't... :(

Good god. Sometimes you get a reminder of how lucky you are. My son is also 5, and he's exactly that size. I tuck him in to bed every night and read him books. He watches cartoons. A couple days ago we were walking down the sidewalk and he tripped and skinned his knee. He cried and I carried him back to the house where I put some neosporin and a band aid on it. His world is safe.

Meanwhile this kid, who was born at about the same time, has this life. He didn't ask for it, or understand it or anything. He didn't do anything wrong. I'm sure his parents love him just as much as we do our son. But he didn't even have a chance to get started before the world delivered this to him.

The things we take for granted. :(

Giganteus

Taking out Assad is the #1 step to any process. That is absolutely critical. This fucker has the blood of 200k-400k people on his hands, with millions more trapped, sieged, and tortured. At the rate he's going, he's going to surpass every dictator in Middle East history. But taking him out is not in vacuum. It should be followed by taking out ISIS as well (like we're doing in Iraq which by the way is increasingly close to being free from ISIS) and leading an effort at empowering the national transition council. Basically follow the Libya/Bosnia model but learn from mistakes.
Assad certainly deserves to be taken out and we should've a while ago. We are already in the process of taking out ISIS.

RustyNails, here's one huge problem you omitted: Al-Nusra (formerly known as). They want their own caliphate and unlike ISIS, they're playing it smart and doing a decent job of not antagonizing the populace.

They are a prominent force in Syria and will benefit from Assad and his forces being taken out, so it's vital for the world to be prepared for that. You need a strong and moderate alliance of rebel factions to counteract this, which may be difficult, due to Nusra being so effective against Assad, a lot of other Rebel groups have allied with them for now.

You also have to be ready to negotiate with Nusra or be willing to go through even more war to deal with them. They want their caliphate.

This is why there should have been a no-fly zone enforced at the outbreak of hostilities, with or without UN authorization. Putin is directly responsible for this war. Fuck him and his apologists.
Who would enforce it, though? Putin wouldn't agree to it. What would we do when he ignores it? There's nothing we can really do.

You're 100% right, but I'd like to add that in this war I've seen pictures, videos, and stories of civilians getting killed by multiple factions in this terrible conflict. Discriminate and indiscriminate shelling by rebel groups into regime-held areas that have killed and injured dozens, as well.

Not saying one side is without sin. Though one is an actual government with aid from a world power who chooses to barrel bomb and target civilians. There is a level of expectation from Russia at least to behave morally.

Who would enforce it, though? Putin wouldn't agree to it. What would we do when he ignores it? There's nothing we can really do.

Russia could not challenge a US/NATO no fly zone, they do not have the means. It was earlier pre-Russian involvement they had no warplanes in the area.

Giganteus

Not saying one side is without sin. Though one is an actual government with aid from a world power who chooses to barrel bomb and target civilians. There is a level of expectation from Russia at least to behave morally.
True, it's horrible to see, especially the example in this thread.

Russia could not challenge a US/NATO no fly zone, they do not have the means. It was earlier pre-Russian involvement they had no warplanes in the area.
I strongly disagree with this. They could and would challenge it. It would be nearly impossible for that not to be challenged due to how their assets are positioned in the region, not to mention the stakes for Russia, Iran, and Syria.
You would have incidents and it would potentially start a larger conflict. Would they be able to defend against it? Of course not, not even close, but it would be challenged, at least initially.

Assad certainly deserves to be taken out and we should've a while ago. We are already in the process of taking out ISIS.

RustyNails, here's one huge problem you omitted: Al-Nusra (formerly known as). They want their own caliphate and unlike ISIS, they're playing it smart and doing a decent job of not antagonizing the populace.

They are a prominent force in Syria and will benefit from Assad and his forces being taken out, so it's vital for the world to be prepared for that. You need a strong and moderate alliance of rebel factions to counteract this, which may be difficult, due to Nusra being so effective against Assad, a lot of other Rebel groups have allied with them for now.

You also have to be ready to negotiate with Nusra or be willing to go through even more war to deal with them. They want their caliphate.

If there are moderate rebels in Syria, their numbers are so small that they couldnt possibly hold off Al Nusra, ISIS, jaish al islam , etc

I had to block someone on facebook because he thought it was better to for them die in their home country than come here and grow up to be terrorists.

As shocking as the image is, there are some people who see it and don't bat an eyelid to the horror and suffering on display. To them, it's someone who poses a threat to them and their way of life.

what I hate is those that thing only criticism can be applied to one group

Daesh is scum but also Assad is scum

there is no saintliness with Assad

he isn't a good guy

this guy is a twisted cruel monster

Gorger

Soul-crushing.. Yet nothing will improve as long as Assad have free reign to bomb and murder his population at leisure securely backed by Russia and Iran.

Ahasverus

The worst part is he's so, so young. He could remain in power for decades and he's only going to be get more radical. Fuck him. Also, fuck Vladimir Putin, I think that man has brought more evil into this world than anyone before him.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Via a tomahawk cruise missile on the presidential palace in damascus.

As a muslim i will say that what the french and even mongols have done to levant pales into insignificance to what Bashar al assad has done.

Even zionists the arch enemy of arabs have shown more mercy and compassion to syrian children than bashar al assad. Syrians actually have been treated in israeli hospitals. Just ponder that fact
Are you high or something? First of all, the arch enemy of Arabs isn't "Zionists", it's other fucking Arabs. Lebanon, Yemen, Iraq, Algeria, Libya, Syria, etc. In each and every one of these countries, Arabs have slaughtered each other in numbers the Israelis can and will never match. Secondly, the Mongols tore a path of death and destruction from Central Asia to Damascus. Millions of people and entire global cities were wiped out by them.

Bashar Al-Assad is a terrible human being. There's no need for you to go all hyperbolic.

Geist-

I have no words. I'm just crying. I have an urge to do something, but I know there's nothing I can do. Fuck...

Sorry, but I hate this kind of stuff trying to "blame" someone for the bombing. It is war, a civil war at that. With 2 world powers trying to pursue an agenda in the region and this seems more like propaganda than anything else.

Did the same anchor cried when the US bombed and killed 73 civilians? Of course he didn't, because that would be detrimental to the US case in Syria and their pejorative to take down Assad. When was the mass media when the rebels that the US backed and trained for years decapitated a Syrian kid?

Don't be fooled, this reeks of manipulation of perception.

Giganteus

If there are moderate rebels in Syria, their numbers are so small that they couldnt possibly hold off Al Nusra, ISIS, jaish al islam , etc
Currently, yes. They would fill the vacuum of power and the world would, in whispered tones, be going, "Oh, crap..."

That's currently in the works, but the world is focused on ISIS, for the most part. If you talked about it with certain people in, say, the US government, they know exacly what's coming and they're concerned.

MIMIC

Banned
Absolutely heartbreaking. I really just wanted to take him in my arms and hold him. A child enduring this type of mayhem and trauma just escapes my mind. And to think, he is just one of the thousands of children affected on a daily basis.

Don't be fooled, this reeks of manipulation of perception.

Even if you don't believe in agitprop conspiracy theories, I'd hope in the West by now we would have agreed that we have almost no insight into the on the ground political reality of most geo-political environments in the Middle East, and a complete inability to judge who are 'moral' actors. What is the last 100 years of Western involvement in the area but a sad and dismal tale of meddling gone wrong, alliances made and broken, betrayed, etc.

If we truly thought civilian deaths during wartime were objectionable, our behavior, and our voting, would be, en masse, far different.

Window

This was devastating when I saw it in the news. The world is letting Syria tear itself apart. I'm not sure what the best solution is.

Even if you don't believe in agitprop conspiracy theories, I'd hope in the West by now we would have agreed that we have almost no insight into the on the ground political reality of most geo-political environments in the Middle East, and a complete inability to judge who are 'moral' actors. What is the last 100 years of Western involvement in the area but a sad and dismal tale of meddling gone wrong, alliances made and broken, betrayed, etc.

If we truly thought civilian deaths during wartime were objectionable, our behavior, and our voting, would be, en masse, far different.

There isn't a conspiracy, there is already a new cold war going on. One of the talking points this election cycle has been the foreign policy the US would pursue regarding Russia.

My main problem is that the media never push this narrative when the US or its allies are the ones doing the bombing. What happen with the killing Saudi Arabia did in Yemen? From what moral ground does the US critizes Russia of being allies with Assad when the US has among its allies the Saudis (or had among its allies countless dictators or military dictators in the past)? This also doesn't include the general ignorance of most people in the west when it comes to foreign policy and really buy into the narrative that the US an its allies are the champions of freedom, democracy or whatever bullshit they are selling.

This type of "reactions" are just there to manipulate audiences that would never happen if the bombing was caused by a US drone, like it happen a month ago, when 73 civilians (most of them women and children) died.

Leonsito

Russia about to get Aleppo back from ISIS (aka Moderate Rebels) and the NATO is using DAESH agencies as their PR now, lol

Azzanadra

Taking out Assad is the #1 step to any process. That is absolutely critical. This fucker has the blood of 200k-400k people on his hands, with millions more trapped, sieged, and tortured. At the rate he's going, he's going to surpass every dictator in Middle East history. But taking him out is not in vacuum. It should be followed by taking out ISIS as well (like we're doing in Iraq which by the way is increasingly close to being free from ISIS) and leading an effort at empowering the national transition council. Basically follow the Libya/Bosnia model but learn from mistakes.

Genuine question, why is Assad such a problem in modern Syria's context? He may be a dictator, but he's a secular dictator and that's what we need to eradicate the cancer of ISIS and the radical religious fervor that lies at the core. Clearly the lesser of two evils here IMO, because I feel like an american alternative will be like post-invasion Iraq.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Five years old and all that kid has ever known is war. It's heartbreaking.

Genuine question, why is Assad such a problem in modern Syria's context? He may be a dictator, but he's a secular dictator and that's what we need to eradicate the cancer of ISIS and the radical religious fervor that lies at the core. Clearly the lesser of two evils here IMO, because I feel like an american alternative will be like post-invasion Iraq.

That reeks of "We must take Saddam to bring peace to the region". I find hilarious that people are using the same arguments now and exchange Saddam with Assad. Yes Assad is a terrible dictator but that doesn't mean the US should focus on bringing "democracy" to the region if they aren't willing to deal with a possible even worse elected leader.

Also yesterday we hear how Saudi Arabia bombed a doctor without borders hospital in Yemen and the week before the US SOLD weapons to Saudi Arabia for over 1 Billion or more. Then you see the mass media in the US crying crocodile tears for a kid being bombed in Syria but not even raise the question of why their government is selling weapons to a theocratic state that is basically bombing hospitals and schools.

Red

I saw that video on Reuters earlier today. The way the kid looks around like he doesn't know what's going on, the way he touches his head and wonders where the blood came from... Seeing that kind of innocence being attacked is heartbreaking and infuriating in equal measure. The cost of real human evil is rarely demonstrated in such a pointed way.

I can't even fathom what you read to actually get to this statement

Because of how manipulative it is. The mass media cries for a kid in Syria but doesn't do the same for the kids in Yemen. Or even for the same Syrian kids being bombed by the US and its allies. I am not saying that people shouldn't feel sorry for the kid, but people should start to question the media that cries for one kid (being bombed by the Syrian government and Russia) but not even report on the bombing of civilians done by the US or their allies. Selective manipulation of information isn't a good sign if you don't want to be called out on playing favorites with news to push a narrative.

Not the CNN, that's for sure.

so what RT and Press TV?

you do know that ISIS attacks the rebels on multiple occasions?

you do know there are tons of rebel factions?

you do know that the ones in Aleppo have been abandoned by the US?

you do know that ISIS and Assad occasionally do deals with each other?

you do know that Assad killed 400,000 people?

of course while you were trying to run away from propaganda you fell face first into another countries propaganda

Because of how manipulative it is. The mass media cries for a kid in Syria but doesn't do the same for the kids in Yemen. Or even for the same Syrian kids being bombed by the US and its allies. I am not saying that people shouldn't feel sorry for the kid, but people should start to question the media that cries for one kid (being bombed by the Syrian government and Russia) but not even report on the bombing of civilians done by the US or their allies. Selective manipulation of information isn't a good sign if you don't want to be called out on playing favorites with news to push a narrative.

Yes indeed atrocities are being committed elsewhere but when a said atrocity occurs we must condemn it and the people must face justice regardless of what side it is from

NATO
GCC
Russia/Iran/Assad
Deash
Rebels

Assad is a monster and he must face justice

it isn't about some competition for world supremacy or rivalries between foreign nations and alliances, or even ourselves and our arrogance and pride to believe we are better then them and should only care for our selfish selves but rather these maniac is evil and no one regardless of who it is shouldn't side with him

this isn't about the anchor, this is about the kid and the other civilians who every day live in fear from their so called "leader" who runs around killing them with foreign planes and foreign militias from Iran, Afghanistan, and Lebanon

I had to block someone on facebook because he thought it was better to for them die in their home country than come here and grow up to be terrorists.

As shocking as the image is, there are some people who see it and don't bat an eyelid to the horror and suffering on display. To them, it's someone who poses a threat to them and their way of life.

What a piece of shit. Yeah, this innocent child is a threat to your way of life. And even if he does become that guess what - your hatred and intolerance of him probably had a lot to do with that happening.

Mesousa

Banned

Wow never thought of it like that.

You are right.

Steel

Banned
We really needed to do a no fly zone right off the bat on this, when the rebels were begging us to help. Syria just keeps getting more fucked up.

Russia has threatened to veto any NATO action. There is no way around this.

Russia is not in nato, though?

I think you mean the UN.

What can be done to help? The situation appears to be being worse.

Why is Russia and Iran involved?

Russia wants a proxy nation, Iran wants nations in the area that don't hate its guts. At this point the only reasonable thing we can do is enforce a cease fire and back it up with force in rebel controlled zones.

Wow never thought of it like that.

You are right.

The amount of civilians killed by the U.S. and the amount of civilians killed in Syria are of completely different magnitudes.

Oriel

The US is already maintaining a no-fly-zone over Hasakah where the Kurdish-led SDF are operating according to recent reports. Not official and certainly not confirmed by the WH. But it could be done. The Russians wouldn't dare go up against NATO warplanes.

The Syrian Democratic Forces are led by the secular Kurds and have been leading a charge across northern Syria since the US began airstrikes. They've achieved some major successes and have large numbers in their ranks. They're allied with the FSA as well.

Russia about to get Aleppo back from ISIS (aka Moderate Rebels) and the NATO is using DAESH agencies as their PR now, lol

Pardon me but....what bollox is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom