• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Trump asks Rep. Mike Pompeo to be CIA director, sources say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump has asked Rep. Mike Pompeo of Kansas to be his CIA director, sources told CNN Friday.

Pompeo was an early supporter of Trump in the House and also staked a tougher line on Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton than some other Republicans. Pompeo was one of a handful of conservatives who argued House Benghazi committee chairman Trey Gowdy did not go far enough in his report on Clinton earlier this year.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/18/polit...peo-to-be-cia-director-sources-say/index.html

From Mike Pompeo's website:

Foreign Policy

I am deeply concerned by the direction of President Obama’s apologetic foreign policy. Across the world, the Administration has attempted to aid hostile regimes over allies, supported dictators over democracy, and is evidently more interested in talk...

Guantanamo Bay

I'm fighting hard to keep terrorists out of Kansas and America. We have to keep open the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay open. That's the right option for American national security...

Immigration and Border Security

I strongly oppose amnesty for illegal immigrants. Such legislation will only reward illegal behavior and encourage other immigrants to enter the United States illegally. Respecting the rule of law is a critical aspect of being a U.S. citizen. Our nat...

Benghazi

Select Committee on Benghazi Politics Ahead of People On June 28, 2016, the Select Committee on Benghazi released its report on the events that took place on September 11th, 2012 in Benghazi, Libya. In addition to the Committee report, Representative...

http://pompeo.house.gov/issues/

Is that swamp drained yet?

The image of Rafiki slumped down, facepalming while Scar rules the grey, skeleton littered Pridelands. That's the image that hits me in the brain at least once a day.

Apt101

Shit. I was hoping for a rather modest Dubya Bush style GOP presidency but this is turning into an episode of fucking South Park.

Steejee

If he cares about Benghazi, surely he'll look into the 66 people that died at embassies during the Bush era, right?

I get the feeling there's going to be a lot of expose's on horrible practices in the next 4 years, plus plenty of recruiting material generated by the CIA for ISIL.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Pompeo is a hard-line, good for nothing teabagger. Per The Guardian:

Pompeo originally backed Marco Rubio for the GOP nomination but later supported Trump following his victory in the primaries. “You have seen him make good decisions in his business life, his family life – with his children, so I am excited for a commander in chief who fearlessly puts America out in front,” Pompeo said of Trump in July.

But he has not been afraid to criticise the president-elect, and when a 2005 tape emerged of Trump boasting of groping and kissing women without their consent, Pompeo called the comments “horrible, offensive and indefensible”.

As a congressional candidate in 2010, Pompeo had to personally apologise for a tweet his campaign sent out promoting an article that called his opponent Raj Goyle, an Indian-American Democrat, a “turban topper” who “could be a muslim, a hindy, a buddhist etc who knows”. His campaign also put up billboard ads encouraging people in the area to “vote American”.

Pompeo is a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association, which endorsed him for Congress. He is also a hardliner on abortion, keen to ban it in all instances except where the mother’s life is at risk. He has also voted against the renewal of the Violence Against Women Act. He opposed closing Guantánamo Bay, and after a 2013 visit to the prison, said of prisoners who were on hunger strike: “It looked to me like a lot of them had put on weight.”

In 2013, Pompeo was widely criticised by Democrats and the Council on American-Islamic Relations for saying that Muslim clerics who did not properly chastise Islamic terrorists were “complicit” in terror attacks.

Pompeo told the floor of the House: “When the most devastating terrorist attacks on America in the last 20 years come overwhelmingly from people of a single faith, and are performed in the name of that faith, a special obligation falls on that faith’s leaders to respond. Instead, their silence has made most Islamic leaders across America complicit in these acts.”

He is staunchly against the Iran deal and in an op-ed for Fox News in July, wrote that the deal puts the US at increased risk. “Congress must act to change Iranian behaviour, and, ultimately, the Iranian regime,” he wrote.

Before joining Congress, Pompeo ran an oilfield supply and distribution company and has been a stalwart critic of the US Environmental Protection Agency’s efforts to regulate carbon emissions.
The CIA is about to be headed by somebody who wants to force a regime change in Iran.

Because that worked out just fine the last time.

I'm fighting hard to keep terrorists out of Kansas

giphy.gif

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Wait a second..shouldn't someone who worked for law enforcement get that type of job?
Not really. Ideally they should be a mix of James Bond and a crazy good diplomat with a 30/70 split.

This idiot is about to usher a new era of covert action and power playing. At which the CIA sucks immensely.

BradC00

Pompeo is a hard-line, good for nothing teabagger. Per The Guardian:

The CIA is about to be headed by somebody who wants to force a regime change in Iran.

Because that worked out just fine the last time.

Try regime change, fail, retaliation by Iran, war.

saelz8

We're fucked. Per Wikipedia.

Pompeo opposes the regulation of greenhouse gas emissions, and supports eliminating the Environmental Protection Agency's greenhouse gas registry program. He signed the Americans for Prosperity's No Climate Tax pledge. He has called for the elimination of Wind power production tax credits, calling them an "enormous government handout".

In a 2013 speech on the House floor, Pompeo said Muslim leaders who fail to denounce acts of terrorism done in the name of Islam are "potentially complicit" in the attacks. The Council on American-Islamic Relations called on Pompeo to revise his remarks, calling them "false and irresponsible".

Pompeo supports the National Security Agency's surveillance programs, characterizing the agency's efforts as "good and important work." In November 2016, Pompeo called for Snowden to receive the death penalty: ""He should be brought back from Russia and given due process, and I think the proper outcome would be that he would be given a death sentence." In March 2014, Pompeo denounced NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden's inclusion in the South by Southwest conference in Austin, Texas, and called for Snowden's invitation to speak via telecast at the annual Texas event be withdrawn, lest it encourage “lawless behavior” among attendees.

Pompeo is strongly anti-abortion. He believes that abortion should be permitted in cases when the mother's life is at risk, but should be illegal in cases of rape and incest.

Pompeo opposes requiring food suppliers to label food made with Genetically modified organisms as GMO, and to that end in April 2014 introduced the "Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act" to block states from requiring mandatory GMO food labeling.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
There's a lot of anti-Iran in Trump's cabinet and his speeches. Will this be the next "mess" like he likes to call it?

saelz8

There's a lot of anti-Iran in Trump's cabinet and his speeches. Will this be the next "mess" like he likes to call it?

Likely. They can't spread as much hyperbole regarding the deal, then not walk it back. Who knows, though. They obviously have no reservations in saying things, then saying that they didn't say them, at least in Trumps case.

The problem is that he's surrounding himself with so many people that have said bad things about Iran and the nuclear deal. There's no other alternative to the deal other than some form of conflict. The deal was the best compromise possible, IMO.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's going to be an interesting situation, since Iran is actually fighting ISIS like hell with boots on the ground and unlike Saddam-era Iraq is well armed and industrialised.

My guess is that the CIA may try to go bananas with covert action in a country where it no longer has any influence. Which would be incredibly ill advised.

Steejee

Trump is going to manage to piss off our allies but screwing up the Iran deal, and then Iran will have actual nukes within a year.

"Pompeo opposes requiring food suppliers to label food made with Genetically modified organisms as GMO, and to that end in April 2014 introduced the "Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act" to block states from requiring mandatory GMO food labeling."

Right wingers love state rights...until the state does something they don't like.

Also, this is making me think Obama should pardon Snowden as a parting act. While I'd normally be in favor of still charging him with something smaller, I have the disturbing feeling that Trump will go buddy buddy with Putin to get his hands on Snowden and throw the book at him.

I'm glad to see him gone but I don't see why he would pick him. That's crazy. We will have to have another election to replace him I think. Not sure how that works.

Gattsu25

Banned
Trump is going to manage to piss off our allies but screwing up the Iran deal, and then Iran will have actual nukes within a year.

"Pompeo opposes requiring food suppliers to label food made with Genetically modified organisms as GMO, and to that end in April 2014 introduced the "Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act" to block states from requiring mandatory GMO food labeling."

Right wingers love state rights...until the state does something they don't like.

Also, this is making me think Obama should pardon Snowden as a parting act. While I'd normally be in favor of still charging him with something smaller, I have the disturbing feeling that Trump will go buddy buddy with Putin to get his hands on Snowden and throw the book at him.
I like Obama but I think hell will freeze over before he even considers pardoning Snowden. Obama is not friendly to whistleblowers.

I can't believe there's now a chance of going to war with fucking Iran. This wasn't even something to worry about a month ago and there's literally no reason to.

I like Obama but I think hell will freeze over before he even considers pardoning Snowden. Obama is not friendly to whistleblowers.

It would be the ultimate bomb-toss.
The Intelligence apparatus would love to get their hands on him, and the incoming administration will probably make sure not even Russia is a safe place for him.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Likely. They can't spread as much hyperbole regarding the deal, then not walk it back. Who knows, though. They obviously have no reservations in saying things, then saying that they didn't say them, at least in Trumps case.

The problem is that he's surrounding himself with so many people that have said bad things about Iran and the nuclear deal. There's no other alternative to the deal other than some form of conflict. The deal was the best compromise possible, IMO.
Obama also mentioned that it's a done deal. Leaving it would basically mean the US would have to come up with sactions against the other countries that signed and abide by it, namely China, France, Russia, UK, Germany and the European Union. Which is ridiculous.

As sad as it is, each time I see one of these appointee threads, I'm just relieved to see we're not getting Sarah Palin, Ben Carson, or Scott Baio as CIA Director or Secretary of Defense or something.

Could still happen though I guess.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
...has Trump said whether or not he's actually going to follow through on putting Hillary in prison?

daevious

It's going to be an interesting situation, since Iran is actually fighting ISIS like hell with boots on the ground and unlike Saddam-era Iraq is well armed and industrialised.

My guess is that the CIA may try to go bananas with covert action in a country where it no longer has any influence. Which would be incredibly ill advised.

With these people in charge any attempt at trying to play covert sabotage with Iran is going to make the Bay of Pigs look like a carefully mediated strategem.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Shit. I was hoping for a rather modest Dubya Bush style GOP presidency but this is turning into an episode of fucking South Park.
I was thinking Game of Thrones when some guy or another either surrounds himself with cronies, and/or goes nuts burning and torturing everything.

Steejee

I don't expect him to, I just think it could be the least-bad option at this point. I have mixed feelings on Snowden myself (though he's a million times better a person than Assange), but I wouldn't want him to be used as some sort of Putin/Trump bargaining chip, especially given how much we know about Trump's entanglements with Russia.

adj_noun

When you don't initially recognize the name of a potential Trump appointee, it's a fun game to try to guess what about them is so terrible that Trump likes them.

Ac30

When you don't initially recognize the name of a potential Trump appointee, it's a fun game to try to guess what about them is so terrible that Trump likes them.

We're due for another war anyways. Might cut emissions, always a silver lining.
What a fucking joke his administration is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom