• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Underground network readies homes to hide undocumented immigrants

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Full article here.

A hammer pounds away in the living room of a middle class home. A sanding machine smoothes the grain of the wood floor in the dining room.

But this home Pastor Ada Valiente is showing off in Los Angeles, with its refurbished floors, is no ordinary home.

"It would be three families we host here," Valiente says.

By "host," she means provide refuge to people who may be sought by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, known as ICE. The families staying here would be undocumented immigrants, fearing an ICE raid and possible deportation.

The purchase of this home is part of a network formed by Los Angeles religious leaders across faiths in the wake of Donald Trump's election. The intent is to shelter hundreds, possibly thousands of undocumented people in safe houses across Southern California.

The goal is to offer another sanctuary beyond religious buildings or schools, ones that require federal authorities to obtain warrants before entering the homes.

The religious leaders have a name for their network: the Rapid Response Team. The idea is not necessarily a new one, according to Reverend Zach Hoover, executive director of the interfaith community organization LA Voice.

Hoover, 37, wasn't an active member during the Sanctuary Movement of the 1980s when US congregations across faiths resisted federal law and provided shelter for Central Americans fleeing violence in their home countries. Many congregations offered direct sanctuary, housing the undocumented immigrants, while others offered food and legal assistance.

The Rapid Response Team mirrors that structure, but goes one step further by also incorporating private homes, which offer a higher level of constitutional protection than houses of worship and an ability to make it harder for federal agents to find undocumented immigrants.

Under federal law, locations like churches and synagogues are technically public spaces that authorities could enter to conduct law enforcement actions. In 2011, the Department of Homeland Security instituted a policy limiting ICE action at religious locations. The policy ordered ICE to not enter "sensitive locations" like schools and institutions of worship.

The strong current carrying the Rapid Response Team is the divergence of federal laws and the moral teachings of their religions. Hoover points to the Bible's Matthew 25, which teaches the faithful should feed the hungry and fight for those in prison.

"The God that I worship sent a person to earth in the name of Jesus who did not always get along with the authorities," Hoover explains. "I feel really convicted that I answer to God at the end of the day. That's who I'm going to see when I die."

Pastor Valiente echoes that sentiment, saying US immigration laws are broken and her church's foundation are the families.

Bravo!

Smellycat

But this home Pastor Ada Valiente is showing off in Los Angeles, with its refurbished floors, is no ordinary home.

"It would be three families we host here," Valiente says.

By "host," she means provide refuge to people who may be sought by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, known as ICE. The families staying here would be undocumented immigrants, fearing an ICE raid and possible deportation.

So you go on tv and tell people where you are hiding people? lmfao

johnsmith

remember me
"I wish that they [the Anne Frank Centre] had praised the President for his leadership in this area. And I think hopefully as time continues to go by, they will recognise his commitment to civil rights, to voting rights, to equality for all Americans."

- Sean Spicer

hawk2025

Under federal law, locations like churches and synagogues are technically public spaces that authorities could enter to conduct law enforcement actions. In 2011, the Department of Homeland Security instituted a policy limiting ICE action at religious locations. The policy ordered ICE to not enter "sensitive locations" like schools and institutions of worship.

Read the article, people.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
So you go on tv and tell people where you are hiding people? lmfao

It could be argued that there's a greater strategy in this. On the face what seems like a poor decision could actually be a public example to others. I don't know if that's the intent or not, but even if it isn't it'll have the unintended side effects of being one if this story gains any ground. Hope they don't get in trouble.

It's a shame people from a developed nation feel the need they have to do this, it's truly WW2 level thinking. They are true heroes for doing so.

It could be argued that there's a greater strategy in this. On the face what seems like a poor decision could actually be a public example to others. I don't know if that's the intent or not, but even if it isn't it'll have the unintended side effects of being one if this story gains any ground. Hope they don't get in trouble.

Get enough people to do the same and suddenly the Government has to start worrying about false-positives and is wasting their time and money on areas that will never house people. And if all the false positives come forward with it, now the idea has been planted in the heads of people who will house people and wont come forward with it.

Yes, its 4D chess thinking, but you can't argue it wouldn't work.

Well congratulations Trump.

We now have a repeat or Jews in WW2 hiding in people's homes.
You always hear that saying about how history repeats itself and you read about it all the time throughout history but I never thought I'd see it happen in my lifetime. It's simultaneously surreal and terrifying

Soroc

This is on CNN right now. These aren't places of worship, these are just regular homes that religious people have purchased, putting this on the air pretty much outs you. This isn't how you do an underground network...

Iolo

Expected this to happen with Muslims first, I guess undocumented immigrants are an easier target within existing law. By the time they start interning Muslims the mass deportation forces will already be running smoothly.

CNN has destroyed the goodwill they've earned with me over the last few weeks with this story. Why in the hell are they airing this?

Hazmat

CNN has destroyed the goodwill they've earned with me over the last few weeks with this story. Why in the hell are they airing this?

The people gave interviews and let CNN visit one of the houses. This wasn't a story meant to hurt them, they want it out. Get off CNN's ass.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Some of the posts in this thread are weird.

But I agree with you, More_Badass, it is surreal living and seeing things I read about things in textbooks.

Sulik2

This shouldn't be freaking needed! Its insane you have to have people planning this. The authoritarian state is coming on the backs of tens of millions of racists in this country.

Chumly

These people want it to be aired for publicity. It's to build up good will that we shouldn't be deporting these people. It was smart to air it

commedieu

Banned
jobs in a dying dangerous enviornment killing water poisoning industry is worth all of this.

Edit:

Some of you would be complaining about resistance fighters in ww2, from your couches.

Ffs.

"Rapid Response Team" is kind of a dumb name. Liberals need to learn how to improve their branding.

Call it the "New Underground Railroad" instead.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
jobs in a dying dangerous enviornment killing water poisoning industry is worth all of this.

Edit:

Some of you would be complaining about resistance fighters in ww2, from your couches.

Ffs.

Hitler won. Get over it.

I kinda teared up when I read this: I am just so angry, fearful and cynical all the time now. Hearing about decent, moral, ethical, compassionate, generous people (especially working together) gets to me.

I'm going to look up whether there are similar efforts near me and see if I can contribute. I'm too cowardly (and lacking space and resources) to hide folks but maybe I can be of use in other ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom