• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cokemachineglow.com Top 50 of 2008: For those who hated the Pitchfork list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tronic? Give me a break. Beats are great but he's a pedestrian rapper to put it nicely. And unlike Kanye he doesn't surround himself with great rappers (although Royce and Pharoche Monche have great appearances)

Meliorism

Not enough Frightened Rabbit love on this list.

Drowned in Sound's is still better.

The blog posted by Karma Kramer is definitely interesting. I downloaded the Hauschka CD through the Zune software and I think I like it. But this kinda music is always a mood thing for me. I might listen to a few more tracks and then go back to the Animal Collective album or something.

Man, I love music so much.

Atrophis

The list Kramer posted is at least credible because it actually has some dubstep on it. And dubstep other than the pretty crappy London Zoo.

Ill Saint

Atrophis said:
The list Kramer posted is at least credible because it actually has some dubstep on it. And dubstep other than the pretty crappy London Zoo.
First of all London Zoo is a serious, and very, very good album. Second, it's not even Dubstep.

I've found that I tend to prefer the "dubstep" that dubstep purists tend to scoff at (London Zoo, Untrue, etc) and find some of the more critically acclaimed Dubstep musicians (Benga, Skream, etc) boring as fuck.

Call it what you want, but I still think London Zoo was one of the best albums of any genre this year.

Peru

It's a bit funny that people who hate Pitchfor lap up any Pitchfork copycat website, just because less people know it / hate on it.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Peru said:
It's a bit funny that people who hate Pitchfor lap up any Pitchfork copycat website, just because less people know it / hate on it.

Cokemachineglow used to be really good. They've been plummeting for years.

Zilch

Banned
Peru said:

Not to mention that most of Pitchfork's top list is represented here, just in a different order.

Hitman said:
No TV on the Radio means complete fail.

That to me is the most overrated album of the year, to be honest, along with the Carter III. I think the former is good, sure, but no where near top ten quality stuff.

zon

PhoenixDark said:
Tronic? Give me a break. Beats are great but he's a pedestrian rapper to put it nicely. And unlike Kanye he doesn't surround himself with great rappers (although Royce and Pharoche Monche have great appearances)

Bullshit, Black Milk is a good rapper. I wouldn't consider him to be among the "elite" but he's not bad at all.

teepo

Timber said:
just checked the tour dates and she's coming to the netherlands in may, but she's playing on the damn opposite end of the country from where i live. sucks but not a complete deal breaker.

the album is really unique but still it reminds me of late 70s no wave, lydia lunch in particular. which is a very good thing

i can see lydia lunch comparison but unlike her, she's very confrontational live which is meant to be some form of therapy to counter her anti-social behavior. she also knows how to sing and play her instrument... but style, defiantly.

also, carla bozulich has been releasing albums under her own name since 2003. she took her new alias from an album she released in 2006 titled evangelista. if you like hello voyager, you might love this.

zon said:
Bullshit, Black Milk is a good rapper. I wouldn't consider him to be among the "elite" but he's not bad at all.

How is that bullshit? His flow is weak, lyrically he's not great, and on a few occassions it sounds like Royce is ghostwriting his shit. And outside of the "listen to my story/struggle" tracks on the album he has nothing interesting to say at all.

Great producer, but at the end of the day he's another underground cat who can't write a song

zon

PhoenixDark said:
How is that bullshit? His flow is weak, lyrically he's not great, and on a few occassions it sounds like Royce is ghostwriting his shit. And outside of the "listen to my story/struggle" tracks on the album he has nothing interesting to say at all.

Great producer, but at the end of the day he's another underground cat who can't write a song

Only thing I agree with you on is that he needs to improve his lyrics. Other than that you just sound overly critical of him.

zon said:
Only thing I agree with you on is that he needs to improve his lyrics. Other than that you just sound overly critical of him.

Dunno if I'm over critical, I just find it odd that the album is receiving such praise. It just seems like many rapper producers aren't great rappers. Especially if they're great producers, they just often sound like they're filling up their beats instead of making interesting songs (Madlib and Dilla come to mind). I like Kanye's first two albums but he's definitely not a great rapper; he compensates with some witty/funny lines.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
BrandNew said:
Having the Carter III so high still is a fucking tragedy

good list, but there are some weird ones. Evil Urges sucked
Seriously, WTF. Raw footage is the only rap album of the year and not even a mention anywhere.

RSTEIN said:
I didn't really like Turning Dragon. I dunno, didn't do much for me.

It takes many many listens... I didn't like it much either at first... but now I think its fucking amazing.

Give it another chance.

zon

PhoenixDark said:
Dunno if I'm over critical, I just find it odd that the album is receiving such praise. It just seems like many rapper producers aren't great rappers. Especially if they're great producers, they just often sound like they're filling up their beats instead of making interesting songs (Madlib and Dilla come to mind). I like Kanye's first two albums but he's definitely not a great rapper; he compensates with some witty/funny lines.

I didn't even know it was recieving praise. :lol I usually don't care about reading reviews of music albums. And rapper producers should in general not step up to the mic but Black Milk is one of the few (that I've heard) that is capable of passing as a "real" rapper.

Haruspex

Banned
pjberri said:
That CMG list has some decent shit on it, but it looks like they're out for attention.

THE WIRE - Best of 2008
50. Sao Paulo Underground - The Principle Of Intrusive Relationships
49. Ellen Fullman & Monique Buzzarte - Fluctuations
48. Sic Alps - US EZ
47. Mark Stewart - Edit
46. Alva Noto - Unitxt
45. Peter Rehberg - Works For GV 2004-2008
44. Josephine Foster - This Coming Gladness
43. Murcof - The Versailles Sessions
42. Vajra - Live
41. David Grubbs - An Optimist Notes The Dust
40. Jakob Ullmann - Voice, Books And FIRE 3
39. Toumani Diabate - The Mande Variations
38. Portishead - Third
37. Maryanne Amacher - Sound Characters 2
36. Emeralds - Solar Bridge
35. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
34. Harvey Milk - Life... The Best Game In Town
33. Stereo Image - S/T
32. Christina Carter - Masque Femine
31. Malcolm Goldstein - A Sounding Of Sources
30. Terry Riley - The Last Camel In Paris
29. Earth - The Bees Made Honey In The Lions Skull
28. Scorces - I Turn Into You
27. Arthur Russell - Love Is Overtaking Me
26. Tricky - Knowle West Boy
25. Robert Ashley - Concrete
24. Jandek - Glasgow Sunday 2005
23. Group Inerane - Guitars From Agadez (Music Of Niger)
22. Hercules & Love Affair - Hercules & Love Affair
21. Lukas Ligeti - African Machinery
20. Stephan Mathieu - Radioland
19. Bill Dixon - 17 Musicians In Seach For A Sound: Darfur
18. Luomo - Convivial
17. Dusk + Blackdown - Margins Music
16. Autechre - Quaristice
15. Kasai Allstars - In The 7th Moon...
14. Eric Chenaux - Sloppy Ground
13. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
12. Ryoji Ikeda - Test Pattern
11. Kevin Drumm - Imperial Distortion
10. The Caretaker - Persistent Repetition Of Phrases
9. The Fall - Imperial Wax Solvent
8. William S Burroughs - Real English Tea Made Here
7. Evangelista - Hello, Voyager
6. The Advisory Circle - Other Channels
5. Gang Gang Dance - Saint Dymphna
4. John Butcher - Resonant Spaces
3. The Hospitals - Hairdryer Peace
2. Philip Jeck - Sand
1. The Bug - London Zoo

Bill Dixon, now we're talking.

As for Turning Dragon its an amazing album, at first it was too mechanical but slowly the organic sounds reveal themselves. Clark really knows how to build tracks up to a fever pitch, especially with For Wolves Crew and Ache of the North.

Also I've never heard of these 'Fleet Foxes', I'll listen and be disappointed no doubt.

... oh and that Headphone Commute list was pretty remarkable, from the artists I recognised anyway.

chase

I've heard of 10 of those artists. One of which I've only heard of on GAF.

I can't be bothered to keep up with music trends anymore.

Kastro

Banned
Black Milk has improved a lot as an MC. I wouldn't say he's amazing but he's more than adequate. I think it's unfair to lump him in a category with all other producer/MC's.

I loved Tronic.

He's a far better rapper than Dilla ever was, and he's carrying his torch production-wise.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Karma Kramer said:
It takes many many listens... I didn't like it much either at first... but now I think its fucking amazing.

Give it another chance.

I've listened to it a lot :(

Loving the Fleet Foxes love... they are quite amazing. Cokemachineglow put it best, saying their music was "universal." And that their debut album was a classic rock album.

*relaxes to Blue Ridge Mountains, the best song of 2008*...

QVT

ZephyrFate said:
Loving the Fleet Foxes love... they are quite amazing. Cokemachineglow put it best, saying their music was "universal." And that their debut album was a classic rock album.

*relaxes to Blue Ridge Mountains, the best song of 2008*...

I love when an album is so bad that I can't tell joke posts from real posts.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Dan said:
I haven't seen any Ladytron love on these end of the year lists and that's disappointing. I thought Velocifero was really fantastic.
Listened to this for the first time last week and have been addicted ever since. Quickly bought their previous 3 albums as well. Ladytron is fucking awesome.
Hooker said:
CTRL + F > Mars Volta > no results
:(

The Bedlam in Goliath is fucking AWESOME!! My album of the year...
You're looking at the wrong kind of lists.

People actually think Fleet Foxes is bad? Shit no. It's great Americana music, something that hasn't been done well for a while, I think.

Don't know if its best of the year though.

Zilch

Banned
Calcaneus said:
If I hated pitchfork's list, I would probably hate this as well.

Same number of bands I know nothing about.

It's almost like an invitation to educate yourself and find new and exciting music to listen to.

Scary!

QVT

BrandNew said:
People actually think Fleet Foxes is bad? Shit no. It's great Americana music, something that hasn't been done well for a while, I think.

It doesn't sound anything like Americana to me. I'd look at Brown Bird if you wanted an Americana album that came out last year. Bit dark.

I think a lot of people only listen to Mykonos and think hey this band is awesome and then they hear the rest of it and are bitterly, bitterly disappointed. And even Mykonos is nothing Americana.

QVT said:
It doesn't sound anything like Americana to me. I'd look at Brown Bird if you wanted an Americana album that came out last year. Bit dark.

I think a lot of people only listen to Mykonos and think hey this band is awesome and then they hear the rest of it and are bitterly, bitterly disappointed. And even Mykonos is nothing Americana.
Are you... serious? Every other song besides Mykonos is bad? What? So, wow, you even hate English House, Blue Ridge Mountains, Quiet Houses?

Quite the minority opinion.

BrandNew said:

Fleet Foxes is just dull. Its not bad... its just boring and safe.

The album will not age well in my opinion, the only thing that might save it for some of you is a bit of nostalgia.

QVT

ZephyrFate said:
Are you... serious? Every other song besides Mykonos is bad? What? So, wow, you even hate English House, Blue Ridge Mountains, Quiet Houses?

This is why I avoid music threads. I try, at least.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I wish Metal sites would put up their top 50 for their year. That way I can systematically go through and pick up what I missed out on this year.

ZephyrFate said:

Considering I have heard the album a number of times and own it on LP... I can't even put the music to those names. The songs all sound way too similar for me to be able to differentiate them.

And thats their problem. No contrast.

Karma Kramer said:
Considering I have heard the album a number of times and own it on LP... I can't even put the music to those names. The songs all sound way too similar for me to be able to differentiate them.

And thats their problem. No contrast.
*shrugs* I guess our tastes differ. I can tell the difference between each song on the album quite easily...

But w/e, to each his own and all that jazz.

I don't know, I think while calling it dull, you might as well just label the entire genre as dull. Fleet Foxes accomplished quite a bit with that album, In my opinion, and that was to create a very full, functional yet powerful new generation Americana album.

And to be honest, I LIKE the fact that some of the songs have similar themes and hooks, it unites the album for me. I would be disappointed by it if it just felt like a mash up of folk songs.

Flynn

Witchfinder General said:
I wish Metal sites would put up their top 50 for their year. That way I can systematically go through and pick up what I missed out on this year.

Pitchfork's Best of Metal column wasn't bad, was it?

I'm hoping Black Bubblegum posts a year-end list of some kind too.

Haruspex said:
Bill Dixon, now we're talking.

As for Turning Dragon its an amazing album, at first it was too mechanical but slowly the organic sounds reveal themselves. Clark really knows how to build tracks up to a fever pitch, especially with For Wolves Crew and Ache of the North.

Also I've never heard of these 'Fleet Foxes', I'll listen and be disappointed no doubt.

... oh and that Headphone Commute list was pretty remarkable, from the artists I recognised anyway.
don't be an ass.

really, why do people make judgement before they even hear an album?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom