• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cokemachineglow.com Top 50 of 2008: For those who hated the Pitchfork list

Status
Not open for further replies.
BrandNew said:
I don't know, I think while calling it dull, you might as well just label the entire genre as dull. Fleet Foxes accomplished quite a bit with that album, In my opinion, and that was to create a very full, functional yet powerful new generation Americana album.

And to be honest, I LIKE the fact that some of the songs have similar themes and hooks, it unites the album for me. I would be disappointed by it if it just felt like a mash up of folk songs.

As I said, its not bad, its just not challenging. Initially I did very much enjoy it though. But there is just nothing deeper to look for in their music. Once you've heard it... you've heard it.

Had they possibly let the songs breathe a little more and spread out the vocals to give the album more structure and ambience, it could have been more rewarding.

But to each their own.

I guess I can see what you mean. It does seem very quick and concise without enough development in the music.

Regardless, I found myself listening to either that or Titus Andronicus this year. The latter was by far my favorite of the year.

BrandNew said:
I guess I can see what you mean. It does seem very quick and concise without enough development in the music.

Regardless, I found myself listening to either that or Titus Andronicus this year. The latter was by far my favorite of the year.

And I mean take Bob Dylan for example (your ava). His voice compliments his music because it adds contrast. Had he sounded like the Fleet Foxes, I doubt he would be as renowned as he is today.

My ears have been through a lot... (check out my last.fm)... sometimes having harmonies and beautiful sounds is complimented by a little noise and distortion. Thats essentially what Aphex Twin's music (my ava) is based around entirely. At least on his later releases.

Karma Kramer said:
And I mean take Bob Dylan for example (your ava). His voice compliments his music because it adds contrast. Had he sounded like the Fleet Foxes, I doubt he would be as renowned as he is today.

My ears have been through a lot... (check out my last.fm)... sometimes having harmonies and beautiful sounds is complimented by a little noise and distortion. Thats essentially what Aphex Twin's music (my ava) is based around entirely. At least on his later releases.

I guess it just comes down to what you prefer in your music. Contrast or unity? I like both to be honest.

You have no idea how much shit I get for my love for Dylan. :lol

BrandNew said:
I guess it just comes down to what you prefer in your music. Contrast or unity? I like both to be honest.

You have no idea how much shit I get for my love for Dylan. :lol

Haha really?

Fuck em... Dylan is god.

Believe it or not, people hate him just for his voice. Meh. Some of them are people who dig Leonard Cohen, which makes no sense to me, because he has an equally "grating" voice in my opinion.

Love them both though. I have so many Dylan listens :bow:

edit: btw, just requested you at last.fm

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Flynn said:
Pitchfork's Best of Metal column wasn't bad, was it?
Brandon's column is one of the few things that keeps me coming back to Pitchfork. His reviews and insights are always spot-on.

Mark D

Requested you too Karma. Psst, BrandNew, do the same for me here. :) Between this and the AC thread, I'm interested in seeing what you guys listen to.

Requested you as well.

Just warning you: My last.fm is very one-sided. And don't be fooled by my most listens-they're bafflingly different than what I listen to on my iPod.

Other than like the top 5 that is

Added you both :D

edit: you guys should reset your last.fm if they no longer reflect what you listen to... thats what I did... I use to have 25,000 listens

Mark D

Thanks. I might actually do that for the new year, start fresh again. I did it once a long time ago... in 2005 apparently. :eek:

Mark D said:
Thanks. I might actually do that for the new year, start fresh again. I did it once a long time ago... in 2005 apparently. :eek:

Yeah fresh start is great... especially cause it frees you up to listen to whatever again... I have some complusive problem that if I am scrobbling something too much I just stop. Last.fm has a weird way of controlling what I listen... it kind of sucks sometimes. :lol

Rolling Stones 50 best albums:

1 | TV on the Radio: Dear Science

2 | Bob Dylan: Tell Tale Signs — The Bootleg
Series Vol. 8

3 | Lil Wayne: Tha Carter III

4 | My Morning Jacket: Evil Urges

5 | John Mellencamp: Life, Death, Love
and Freedom

6 | Santogold: Santogold

7 | Coldplay: Viva la Vida or
Death and All His Friends

8 | Beck: Modern Guilt

9 | Metallica: Death Magnetic

10 | Vampire Weekend: Vampire Weekend

11 | Fleet Foxes: Fleet Foxes

12 | Guns n' Roses: Chinese Democracy

13 | Blitzen Trapper: Furr

14 | Ryan Adams and the Cardinals: Cardinology

15 | The Black Keys: Attack & Release

16 | Randy Newman: Harps and Angels

17 | B.B. King: One Kind Favor

18 | Lucinda Williams: Little Honey

19 | Erykah Badu: New Amerykah: Part 1
(4th World War)

20 | Kings of Leon: Only by the Night

21 | Kaiser Chiefs: Off With Their Heads

22 | Jackson Browne: Time the Conquerer

23 | Conor Oberst: Conor Oberst

24 | Girl Talk: Feed the Animals

25 | The Magnetic Fields: Distortion

26 | Mudcrutch: Mudcrutch

27 | Brian Wilson: That Lucky Old Sun

28 | The Knux: Remind Me in Three Days...

29 | Bon Iver: For Emma, Forever Ago

30 | Duffy: Rockferry

31 | MGMT: Oracular Spectacular

32 | Jamey Johnson: The Lonesome Song

33 | Ne-Yo: Year of the Gentleman

34 | Stephen Malkmus: Real Emotional Trash

35 | Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Dig,
Lazarus, Dig!!!

36 | The Hold Steady: Stay Positive

37 | Nine Inch Nails: The Slip

38 | Ra Ra Riot: The Rhumb Line

39 | Taylor Swift: Fearless

40 | Jonas Brothers: A Little Bit Longer

41 | AC/DC: Black Ice

42 | David Byrne and Brian Eno: Everything
That Happens Will Happen Today

43 | Nas: Untitled

44 | The Raconteurs: Consolers of the Lonely

45 | Be Your Own Pet: Get Awkward

46 | The Academy Is...: Fast Times at
Barrington High

47 | Of Montreal: Skeletal Lamping

48 | Raphael Saadiq: The Way I See It

49 | Hot Chip: Made in the Dark

50 | No Age: Nouns

Sucks even more...

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Karma Kramer said:
Yeah fresh start is great... especially cause it frees you up to listen to whatever again... I have some complusive problem that if I am scrobbling something too much I just stop. Last.fm has a weird way of controlling what I listen... it kind of sucks sometimes. :lol
Ugh. I know exactly what you mean. I'm way too conscious of my last.fm charts.

I didn't like Pitchfork's list, and I don't like this list.

That being said, Pitchfork's 1-25 was better, and Coke Machine Glow's 25-50 was pretty spot on.

As for Rolling Stone's list, it's a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom