• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week One: UCLA MEGATHREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Well you just can't leave this tidbit here and not relate any stories that the guy told you.
Hah, fair enough. One was from when they were playing at Samford. Samford had a game against some college up in Virginia that was close enough for Jimbo's family to attend. He doesn't know what exactly happened, but during pregame warm-ups, they look up into the stands and a bunch of people had started going at it. Fist flying everywhere. While they're watching they see pretty much every male member of Jimbo's family that was in attendance getting led out of the stadium by the police after having thoroughly kicked the ass of several local U fans. Jimbo apparently hadn't noticed the fighting, and this guy and his teammates were worried Jimbo would be upset when he realized what had just happened to his family. But when they pointed out to Jimbo that his family was getting led out by the police, he just kind of shrugged and said, [and here the guy did a great Jimbo impression] "huh, wonder what the fuck that was about" and went about his business.

Another more recent story was they visited him for some speech he gave and then went back to his house to hang out in his pool. Jimbo had a keg of Coor's Light kept by the pool, and when they gave him shit about it he said [and again, in a Jimbo voice] "man, shut the fuck up. Coor's is some great fucking beer."

Probably lost some without hearing his Jimbo voices, but I was amused.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
You and me, we're gonna be best friends right? Roll Damn Tide...

I just recently started to coming to Off Topic, I usually spend football season holed up at rollbamarolll, but glad to see there are others here.

Lol, we've been here for years. YEARS.

cdyhybrid

WR Brayden Lenius suspended three games. Sounds like he's been in the dog house for a while now though and it won't really affect game planning. Some thoughts that he might not even come back after the three games.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You and me, we're gonna be best friends right? Roll Damn Tide...

I just recently started to coming to Off Topic, I usually spend football season holed up at rollbamarolll, but glad to see there are others here.

Bama is pretty well represented on GAF, between mre, Lonestar, Limedust, and some other less frequent posters (like me).

Still probably outnumbered by all those gators.

jfkgoblue

College football is back baby! God I have been waiting for this since January XD, its like being an addict, got a temporary fix last weekend, but the real deal starts Thursday.

All the Michigan hype makes me nervous about the season, I remember 2011 to 2012, and that didn't go so well. I do believe Harbaugh is a better than Hoke though so it should be fun, can't wait to destroy Michigan State(honestly care way more about beating those assholes this year than Ohio State)

Should be a fun ride
No way in hell either team gets double digit wins in the regular season.

Tennessee should easily get 10 wins... the only tough team they play is Bama, remember the SEC East is one of the worst power 5 divisions in CFB

I agree about the Huskies though, I just don't get the hype

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Hah, fair enough. One was from when they were playing at Samford. Samford had a game against some college up in Virginia that was close enough for Jimbo's family to attend. He doesn't know what exactly happened, but during pregame warm-ups, they look up into the stands and a bunch of people had started going at it. Fist flying everywhere. While they're watching they see pretty much every male member of Jimbo's family that was in attendance getting led out of the stadium by the police after having thoroughly kicked the ass of several local U fans. Jimbo apparently hadn't noticed the fighting, and this guy and his teammates were worried Jimbo would be upset when he realized what had just happened to his family. But when they pointed out to Jimbo that his family was getting led out by the police, he just kind of shrugged and said, [and here the guy did a great Jimbo impression] "huh, wonder what the fuck that was about" and went about his business.

Another more recent story was they visited him for some speech he gave and then went back to his house to hang out in his pool. Jimbo had a keg of Coor's Light kept by the pool, and when they gave him shit about it he said [and again, in a Jimbo voice] "man, shut the fuck up. Coor's is some great fucking beer."

Phew.

I was worried they would be negative stories.

Lonestar

Bama is pretty well represented on GAF, between mre, Lonestar, Limedust, and some other less frequent posters (like me).

Still probably outnumbered by all those gators.

We've come along way, up with the amount of Florida, Texas, OSUn and USCw peeps. Do we even need to bother updating CFB-GAF's teams list? Thought it was immaculately accurate.

Go Bruins. Time to beat another Texas team led by future #1 pick hall of famerr.mejbfjksdbfkjsd
we need new coaches
w5n4iuG.jpg

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
No way in hell either team gets double digit wins in the regular season.

Tennessee's schedule:

9/1 vs Appalachian State 7:30 PM
9/10 vs Virginia Tech 8:00 PM
9/17 vs Ohio 12:00 PM
9/24 vs Florida TBD
10/1 @ Georgia TBD
10/8 @ Texas A&M TBD
10/15 vs Alabama TBD
10/29 @ South Carolina TBD
11/5 vs Tennessee Tech TBD
11/12 vs Kentucky TBD
11/19 vs Missouri TBD
11/26 @ Vanderbilt

Let's mark Alabama as a lose.

Florida, Georgia, and A&M are starting new QBs. Unless we fall to V. Tech or one of the bottom feeders, we have to lose two of the three previously mentioned to not get 10 wins.

With that considered, I think we have a pretty good shot of hitting 10 wins. It's definitely not impossible like you make it out to be.

Piggus

Go Ducks.

Season tickets in hand, but have to miss the first three games since I'll be overseas busy proposing to the gf.

The Nebraska game is on at like 2:30 am about an hour before I leave for the airport back to the US. Ugh!!!!

appaws

Banned
Whoooo! Football time.

I think my Kentucky Wildcats make the big leap to "somewhat respectable" and play in a crappy late December bowl game.

I think the ugly Vols win the SEC east, and the evil Louisville Cardinals have a legitimate shot at the playoffs. I'll wake up from that nightmare when we go 40-0 in hoops. #BBN

Awesome op, notice how all the best gifs are the SEC ones - SECSECSEC!

Chickos predictions:

SEC West - LSU (unbeaten) to upset bama with one loss
SEC East - Georgia
SEC champ - LSU

B1G west - Michigan
B1G east - Nebraska
Champ - Michigan

Pac-12 north - mccaffrey
Pac-12 south - chosen Rosen
Champ - mccaffrey

Acc coast - um, who plays in this conference? Ncu or GT
Acc atl - clemson
Champ - Clemson

Big 12 - champion - oklahoma

Playoffs - Michigan, LSU, BAMA (with one loss), Clemson
Final - Lsu v Bama
Winner - LSU

Heisman - fournette to pip McAffrey

Ah yes college football is back. My favourite time of the year, i become a recluse watching american football with CFB and NFL, American football all weekend for the next 3 months.

Liked Baylor but jheeze they are on a downward trajectory with those scandals. Pac 12, please play some games earlier this year so i can watch them.

jfkgoblue

Chickos predictions:

SEC East - Georgia
SEC champ - LSU

B1G west - Michigan
B1G east - Nebraska
Champ - Michigan

Pac-12 north - mccaffrey
Champ - mccaffrey

Acc atl - clemson
Champ - Clemson

Final - Lsu v Bama
Winner - LSU

Uhh Michigan is in the east, Nebraska in the west... But I like Michigan in the playoff.... But no way in hell the SEC gets two teams in, hell them getting 2 teams in is why we even have the cfp

jjasper

Uhh Michigan is in the east, Nebraska in the west... But I like Michigan in the playoff.... But no way in hell the SEC gets two teams in, hell them getting 2 teams in is why we even have the cfp
Two teams from a conference is entirely possible. I actually wouldn't be surprised it it happened this year. Could happen in the Big 10, ACC or SEC this year. This year two of the teams in the same division in the top ten (LSU/Bama, Mich/OSU, FSU/Clemson) have one go undefeated and the other lose one game only to the other.

Two teams from a conference is entirely possible. I actually wouldn't be surprised it it happened this year. Could happen in the Big 10, ACC or SEC this year. This year two of the teams in the same division in the top ten (LSU/Bama, Mich/OSU, FSU/Clemson) have one go undefeated and the other lose one game only to the other.
I do agree it can happen.. But it does require other conference champions to be sub par.. Let's say Oklahoma having 2-3 loses or something along those lines or having a really really bad loss a la UNC losing to USCe or beyond that type of loss

It can happen. But there would need to be a little bit of fuckery to make the stars align.

I can see him doing all of this :jnc

Chickos predictions:

SEC East - Georgia
SEC champ - LSU

B1G west - Michigan
B1G east - Nebraska
Champ - Michigan

Pac-12 north - mccaffrey
Champ - mccaffrey

Acc atl - clemson
Champ - Clemson

Final - Lsu v Bama
Winner - LSU

I like you. Go LSU!

We go 8-4, get a new coach, and then fall to the bottom of the West.

It has been since the early 2000's I've been this excited for a Tennessee team. It is put up or shut up time for Butch. This could be the start of a beautiful time for Vol fans like our awesome run in the 90's into 2000's when winning 9 to 11 games was the normal.

Go Vols!

I am doubtful that we live up to the hype, but I'm pretty confident that we finally get past Florida and enter October undefeated for the first time in a decade. Past that I see us slipping up against the Dogs or Aggies, and losing to Bama twice.

I've said this for months, but I think Tennessee should go into the UGA game undefeated. I do believe UGA will beat Tennessee for several reasons (revenge game for last year and they play at Georgia). Despite my earlier thoughts that Tennessee would still win the East, if you look at UGA's schedule it will be tough for Tennessee. Outside of Tennessee their toughest opponent is Ole Miss. So if Tennessee ends up with 2 losses (Bama) it will be tough considering the tie breaker goes to UGA.

That said in the end UGA is one of my biggest unknowns this season (along with Auburn). Besides a new coach they have a new QB and a talented but from what I understand a young team. They could end up losing 4 games this season or only 1.

Edit: It will not surprise me if Jalen Hurd ends up with more yards than Fournette .

andycapps

Chickos predictions:

SEC East - Georgia
SEC champ - LSU

B1G west - Michigan
B1G east - Nebraska
Champ - Michigan

Pac-12 north - mccaffrey
Champ - mccaffrey

Acc atl - clemson
Champ - Clemson

Final - Lsu v Bama
Winner - LSU

GT as a sensible option to win the Coastal? They went 3-9 last year, you think they can make the jump to 8-4 or more that it will take to win the division? That's a lot of improvement year to year.

tebunker

Banned
I like you. Go LSU!

We go 8-4, get a new coach, and then fall to the bottom of the West.

Well at least you're realistic. Mils is a classic underachiever as a HC.

The talent that staff has squandered at LSU is amazing.

Also 21-0.

For The Bama fans I think many of us are wondering how short of a leash Cooper/Blake get before Saban says fuck it and put in Jalen.

Cooper seemed like he had more raw talent lst year long Long Ball Coker but he was kind of a mess in the games he played.

Really can't wait for this weekend. Its going to be magnanimous.

ryseing

I was listening to the Audible yesterday and they made an interesting point. These big name games (USC/Bama, UT/ND, etc.) are all great for fans and TV ratings but they ultimately won't have a large impact on national perception. I like Southern Cal to win the Pac-12 South but I fully expect Bama to spank them.

Instead, we need to look elsewhere to find games that will have a relevant impact on the CFB landscape. There are three games specifically, one of which is mentioned in the title of this OT. If Pac-12 South favorite UCLA goes into Kyle Field and loses to a mediocre TAMU team with its coach on the hot seat, a multitude of things will happen. We'll get Aggie hype which is unfortunate for everyone, Mora will go firmly on the hot seat, and the Pac-12 South's reputation will be further degraded. I don't expect the Pac-12 to send a team to the playoff but losing games like this certainly doesn't help your chances.

Georgia/UNC has the co-favorite/favorite of the second and third worst P5 divisions facing off. Time to see which of the SEC East or the ACC Coastal will be the biggest shitshow this year.

For some reason, Oklahoma/Houston is a noon game, which is odd for the game with the highest stakes that a week 1 game can have. With a Houston win, they set themselves up if they run the table to crash the playoff. An Oklahoma win adds some more intrigue to the P5/G5 divide, as well as giving them a quality win for their playoff resume.

andycapps

I was listening to the Audible yesterday and they made an interesting point. These big name games (USC/Bama, UT/ND, etc.) are all great for fans and TV ratings but they ultimately won't have a large impact on national perception. I like Southern Cal to win the Pac-12 South but I fully expect Bama to spank them.

Instead, we need to look elsewhere to find games that will have a relevant impact on the CFB landscape. There are three games specifically, one of which is mentioned in the title of this OT. If Pac-12 South favorite UCLA goes into Kyle Field and loses to a mediocre TAMU team with its coach on the hot seat, a multitude of things will happen. We'll get Aggie hype which is unfortunate for everyone, Mora will go firmly on the hot seat, and the Pac-12 South's reputation will be further degraded. I don't expect the Pac-12 to send a team to the playoff but losing games like this certainly doesn't help your chances.

Georgia/UNC has the favorite/co-favorite of the second and third worst P5 divisions facing off. Time to see which of the SEC East or the ACC Coastal will be the biggest shitshow this year.

For some reason, Oklahoma/Houston is a noon game, which is odd for the game with the highest stakes that a week 1 game can have. With a Houston win, they set themselves up if they run the table to crash the playoff. An Oklahoma win adds some more intrigue to the P5/G5 divide, as well as giving them a quality win for their playoff resume.
Georgia isn't really the favorite for the SEC East, at least according to media polls from SEC Media Days as well as the rankings.

The Audible was really good. Their guest skewered Tebow for trying to go into pro baseball after not playing the sport at all for 12 years, and even then the highest level was highschool ball. Only way he gets signed to even a single A contract is a team looking for publicity. Brought up some great points regarding how hard it is to make it even into lower minor leagues, much less 2% of A athletes making it to AA, same for AAA, and then to the majors.

ryseing

Georgia isn't really the favorite for the SEC East, at least according to media polls from SEC Media Days as well as the rankings.

The Audible was really good. Their guest skewered Tebow for trying to go into pro baseball after not playing the sport at all for 12 years, and even then the highest level was highschool ball. Only way he gets signed to even a single A contract is a team looking for publicity. Brought up some great points regarding how hard it is to make it even into lower minor leagues, much less 2% of A athletes making it to AA, same for AAA, and then to the majors.

Sorry, I meant to switch those in order. I would argue that UGA is the co-favorite. I think UT will win it but UGA won't be far behind. The game is important for perception nonetheless.

And the Tebow rant was great.

Lonestar

Well at least you're realistic. Mils is a classic underachiever as a HC.

The talent that staff has squandered at LSU is amazing.

Also 21-0.

For The Bama fans I think many of us are wondering how short of a leash Cooper/Blake get before Saban says fuck it and put in Jalen.

Cooper seemed like he had more raw talent lst year long Long Ball Coker but he was kind of a mess in the games he played.

Really can't wait for this weekend. Its going to be magnanimous.

Sl81OF9.gif

tebunker

Banned

Amazing gif love it. It is amazing to me how well RTDFL has integrated in to that staff.

It also is amazing to me how well LK has fed in to the Bama fan culture damn near perfectly. I mean I detested that dude at UT, but he's one of us now.

Look, I get it, we can be some snide, high fallutin, holier than thou fans, but Kiffy feeds that cockiness so perfectly with his hands raised etc on long ball TDs and his Twitter account/trolling is amazing.

Finally
So is this the thread where I openly admit that in 2008 I stood up on the seat in a bar booth and sang Yea Alabama in my brother's face, an UGA fan and UGA grad student, in front of the entire bar who was there to watch VTvs Neb, and were like one of two parties there to wacth UGA wear black to their own funeral?

I feel like I have so much catching up to do with this group.

I don't want burn up all my funny shit talk before we even kick off. I will also gladly eat humble pie too, but man I am too amped atm.

Amazing gif love it. It is amazing to me how well RTDFL has integrated in to that staff.

It also is amazing to me how well LK has fed in to the Bama fan culture damn near perfectly. I mean I detested that dude at UT, but he's one of us now.

Look, I get it, we can be some snide, high fallutin, holier than thou fans, but Kiffy feeds that cockiness so perfectly with his hands raised etc on long ball TDs and his Twitter account/trolling is amazing.

Finally
So is this the thread where I openly admit that in 2008 I stood up on the seat in a bar booth and sang Yea Alabama in my brother's face, an UGA fan and UGA grad student, in front of the entire bar who was there to watch VTvs Neb, and were like one of two parties there to wacth UGA wear black to their own funeral?

I feel like I have so much catching up to do with this group.

I don't want burn up all my funny shit talk before we even kick off. I will also gladly eat humble pie too, but man I am too amped atm.

We've reached our quota on Alabama fans tho. Can I interest you in LSU, TCU, or Mississippi State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom