• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Reminds me if Manziel hadn't late flipped to A&M both he and Mariota would've been competing to be the backup to Darron Thomas in 2012.

Manziel also being a Kingsbury guy, along with Case Keenum.

He's built a hell of a quarterback resume for less than a decade of coaching.

cashman

Banned
So the 2018 mock drafts have Darnold as the #1 pick

Amazing how fast that kid's star has risen... hopefully he can keep it up this year with a likely worse line than last year

This time last year Deshaun Watson and Brad Kaaya were the top QBs taken in mock drafts. QB evaluation seems very fickle.

This time last year Deshaun Watson and Brad Kaaya were the top QBs taken in mock drafts. QB evaluation seems very fickle.

That's why trading up to take trubisky at #2 was incredibly stupid. Deshaun Watson was the sure fire overall #1 after last year with about the same amount of starts. Then after another year, where defensive coordinators had enough tape on him to scheme around him, expectations tempered.

andycapps

It's all about measurables and not what players actually did in college. All these guys think they can make something out of nothing.

ESPN has a new top 25. tOSU moved from #3 to #1 because of reasons.

Clemson is in the top 10 for some reason. Losing the best player they've had in 10-20 years will apparently be something they can overcome despite the awful performance from their QB's in the spring game. Maybe they think their defense will be scoring a lot of NOT's since it will be really stout.

Clemson is in the top 10 for some reason. Losing the best player they've had in 10-20 years will apparently be something they can overcome despite the awful performance from their QB's in the spring game. Maybe they think their defense will be scoring a lot of NOT's since it will be really stout.

Hey pal, you're the one who says spring games don't tell you anything.

andycapps

Hey pal, you're the one who says spring games don't tell you anything.
Then why do an updated poll after them? And I agree, they don't tell you anything. But Clemson is going to have a huge step back on offense, most likely. I could have told you that without seeing spring game stats.

Then why do an updated poll after them? And I agree, they don't tell you anything. But Clemson is going to have a huge step back on offense, most likely. I could have told you that without seeing spring game stats.

But would you have told us that after Tajh Boyd graduated or Chad Morris left.

It seems reasonable to expect Clemson to regress, but it has also seemed reasonable before.

It's all about measurables and not what players actually did in college. All these guys think they can make something out of nothing.

I'm biased, but lol at Bama not being 1.

Clemson should absolutely be top 10, though. Even without Watson, they've been recruiting pretty damn well, and they deserve the benefit of the doubt to start the season. At the end of the day, these are just projections. I expect regression, but finishing the year with no more than 3 losses still makes a top 10 team.

andycapps

I'm biased, but lol at Bama not being 1.

Clemson should absolutely be top 10, though. Even without Watson, they've been recruiting pretty damn well, and they deserve the benefit of the doubt to start the season. At the end of the day, these are just projections. I expect regression, but finishing the year with no more than 3 losses still makes a top 10 team.
FWIW I think Az and I agreed on the podcast the other day about a 9-3 or 8-4 season being likely for them. I guess I don't have a huge problem with it given they just won the MNC. Maybe they come up with a good qb and the defense keeps them alive until that time.

ag-my001

Looking at their schedule I'd almost say that 9-3 is their floor. They get Auburn early, who knows what FSU will be like, and the rest is normal life in the ACC.

Looking at their schedule I'd almost say that 9-3 is their floor. They get Auburn early, who knows what FSU will be like, and the rest is normal life in the ACC.

I'm penciling them in for losses against Auburn (ugh) and FSU tbh. They split those, and who knows what happens.

Got em losing to those two and one of either Miami or Louisville, though. Depending on who they get for a bowl, we're looking at a 10-win team, and Dabo's star continues to rise in what should've been a rebuilding year.

Perfect for when momma calls him home 🌚

Evander Holyfield's son (and andycapps' nephew) Elijah Holyfield got busted with the mary jane.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ia-bulldogs-arrested-misdemeanor-drug-charges

Georgia sophomore running back Elijah Holyfield was arrested early Monday morning on misdemeanor drug charges.

The son of former heavyweight boxing champ Evander Holyfield was arrested by campus police and charged with possession of less than 1 ounce of marijuana and possession and use of drug-related objects. He posted $4,050 bail and was released.

The news of Holyfield's arrest comes on the heels of Georgia releasing incoming freshman offensive lineman D'Antne Demery from his letter of intent after domestic violence charges.

According to Georgia's student-athlete policy, players are to be suspended one game for a marijuana arrest. Holyfield is the second Bulldogs player to be arrested for marijuana possession; wide receiver Riley Ridley was arrested on a marijuana charge in March.

I'm penciling them in for losses against Auburn (ugh) and FSU tbh. They split those, and who knows what happens.

Got em losing to those two and one of either Miami or Louisville, though. Depending on who they get for a bowl, we're looking at a 10-win team, and Dabo's star continues to rise in what should've been a rebuilding year.

Perfect for when momma calls him home 🌚

Clemson plays both Auburn and Florida State at home. The last time Clemson lost more than one home game in a season was 2010. Anything is possible, though. And getting FSU at the end of the season would help give time for the QB situation to get worked out.

Also, Clemson does not play Miami this year, unless they meet in conference championship.

andycapps

Clemson plays both Auburn and Florida State at home. The last time Clemson lost more than one home game in a season was 2010. Anything is possible, though. And getting FSU at the end of the season would help give time for the QB situation to get worked out.

Also, Clemson does not play Miami this year, unless they meet in conference championship.

I think Auburn is overrated. Much of their hype this offseason stems from a mantra that Malzahn is great as long as he has a QB, where the reality is that he may have just trapped lightning in a bottle once. The other side to that is that Stidham, while being highly recruited, has very little college experience and is coming into a completely different system.

It also ignores the fact that supposedly Malzahn is not calling the plays anymore (Chip Lindsey is the new OC). Then again, it also is a stupid statement because most coaches look better when they have a good QB.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Auburn lost most of their DLine, their most important piece of defense they had going. Not sure if they got much past that.

Yeah, I don't care lol. I hate "the last time *blank* did *blank* at *insert stadium*" factoids being attributed to any reasonable projection of what might happen in a new season. It doesn't actually mean anything. Clemson's been pretty damn good in recent years, at home and on the road, and I think they'll continue to be so. I also think this is about the time for them to lose two games at home because I honestly believe Auburn and FSU are catching them in the right year.

I'm nobody, and could be wrong on both counts, obviously. But that'd mean Clemson ended up being better than we thought they would, or Auburn (the annual "it's their year!" contender) or FSU (that offensive line IS a problem) ended up not panning out as much, not because of some home game win streak that could've been snapped at any moment. (NC State makes that field goal and we aren't even having this convo)

Didn't realize y'all don't play Miami this year though. I'm thinking of FSU's schedule. They get through their gauntlet with no more than a loss and I'll be super impressed, sheesh.

Yeah, I don't care lol. I hate "the last time *blank* did *blank* at *insert stadium*" factoids being attributed to any reasonable projection of what might happen in a new season. It doesn't actually mean anything. Clemson's been pretty damn good in recent years, at home and on the road, and I think they'll continue to be so. I also think this is about the time for them to lose two games at home because I honestly believe Auburn and FSU are catching them in the right year.

I admittedly know nothing about Stidham, but it'll most likely be his first away game in a hostile environment at night.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Duke and Cutcliffe have agreed to an extension through the 2020 season. http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211580392&DB_OEM_ID=4200

truly101 still has the K-Cut suite ready at Shady Pines, just in case.

Not Cut. Jim Knowles tho..... That defense better improve with the talent they've recruited recently. That secondary had no reason to be so trash. Thats more of a Derek Jones thing I guess but Knowles is the head D coordinator.

He played in 10 games 2 years ago at Baylor and had a good completion percentage, as one does in that offense. He was a highly recruited prospect out of highschool.

What I have told you is what has brought all this hype to he and Auburn.

Only 109 attempts? That averages out to about 11 pass attempts per game. I'm assuming he was brought in during garbage time until whenever it was in the season that their starting QB got injured.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

They will change it back before opening day so that their premier game is a 1 vs 2.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Only 109 attempts? That averages out to about 11 pass attempts per game. I'm assuming he was brought in during garbage time until whenever it was in the season that their starting QB got injured.

Correct, he was a garbage-time-only type guy as a true freshman until Seth Russell got hurt and Stidham racked up ~80 attempts and a little over 900 yards in three games before getting hurt himself.

That was the year Baylor basically went into their bowl game with no QBs and beat UNC 49-38 on 645 yards rushing.

andycapps

Don't forget, he absolutely tore up Auburn's 2nd team defense in a spring game. 🙄

No doubt. Passing against walk-ons is tough!

My understanding is he's only started 2 games. Maybe it was that year everyone was injured there.

Xerox-U guy above me got the info right. ;p

They will change it back before opening day so that their premier game is a 1 vs 2.
Naturally.

There's a podcast topic for Lonestar to handle in the future. Given the successes(?) of the Saban tree in the SEC, should Bama hire a current/recent assistant when he retires, or go for the biggest name outside the state?

I thought the general consensus is that "dabo will come home."

Lonestar

The pre-Saban years suggests that were already on Plan D.

Well, unless things get really strange, the 2 situations would be about as far apart as the edges of the universe.

2006: Fresh off a debilitating probation, multiple poor choices at head coach, and the rise of regional rival programs, made Alabama a not-too-enticing project for a quality head coach.

20XX: Decade plus of championship level football, loaded roster of talent, constantly upgraded facilities to be in the upper echelon of College Football programs.

The only things I could see getting in the way of the future, is expectations driving away coaches and the university administrations/Good Ole Boy Network deciding they know what's good for the football program and attempt to run it (one of the ongoing issues after Bryant was this). Saban worked because he came in and he runs the show.

Next guy needs to be some sort of CEO type, and hope he hires good people.

Personally, I'd put Jimbo or Kirby over Dabo, simply because Dabo is a little bit too "goofy" but he could work. I doubt Alabama would make any push on Urban or Harbaugh.

andycapps

Over where? I thought you guys were discussing who would replace Saban.

I'm confused.

I'm sorry, I thought you were saying he had to be a guy born in Alabama like how Auburn fans want that when they hire someone. Auburn Family trademark goes here.

Thing is, the only ones we've suggested have ties to Bama or Saban.

Well, unless things get really strange, the 2 situations would be about as far apart as the edges of the universe.

2006: Fresh off a debilitating probation, multiple poor choices at head coach, and the rise of regional rival programs, made Alabama a not-too-enticing project for a quality head coach.

20XX: Decade plus of championship level football, loaded roster of talent, constantly upgraded facilities to be in the upper echelon of College Football programs.

The only things I could see getting in the way of the future, is expectations driving away coaches and the university administrations/Good Ole Boy Network deciding they know what's good for the football program and attempt to run it (one of the ongoing issues after Bryant was this). Saban worked because he came in and he runs the show.

Next guy needs to be some sort of CEO type, and hope he hires good people.

Personally, I'd put Jimbo or Kirby over Dabo, simply because Dabo is a little bit too "goofy" but he could work. I doubt Alabama would make any push on Urban or Harbaugh.

Ah, so this is really a long play to get Richt to come there until he retires.

Yeah the situations are different, but so are expectations, as you mention. Whoever takes over will not be as successful. Simply because Saban is a Hall of Fame level coach. There will be some dropoff no matter who is hired. Will people be okay with that or will they want him gone in a few years? Something for anyone looking at that job to consider.

Lonestar

Yeah, I'd imagine a drop off will happen. But the flipside is, there'd be no more Saban around, as there's no one out there currently at his level (debatable if there's 1 or 2 out there). This raises every coach out there, because the top has been lowered.

andycapps

Yeah, I'd imagine a drop off will happen. But the flipside is, there'd be no more Saban around, as there's no one out there currently at his level (debatable if there's 1 or 2 out there). This raises every coach out there, because the top has been lowered.
Yeah I think when he retires that makes other conference coaches breathe easier and other coaches will rise up.

I'm surprised some nerdy school like Georgia Tech isn't working on an IBM robot uploaded with playcalling scenarios and tendencies of Bear Bryant. Robot Bear Bryant powered by IBM Watson would be one of the top coaches in the league and you wouldn't even have to pay him anything other than electricity.

Top Bottom