• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff + New Year's Six |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no stake in this at all. I'll say 17 points is not insurmountable (as a Gator fan, I know all too well after the Tennessee game this year). Let's see how Ohio State responds after halftime.

200w.gif

Nice route and a nicer catch for a TD, with interference.

And let's not discuss Florida's recruiting tonight. It's supposed to be festive!

Annnnnnd I'm going in a Costco pizza because Costco pizzas are pretty damn good and I don't want to take the drive for a better, local pie.

Gorillaz

Yea that might be it. Offense too young and jittery to know how to handle this besides jt and even then he's been spotty this year.

ryseing

yep agree with the Butch comment.

I didnt know about McEwain's results, but surely the Gators can still recruit the top Florida talent by being in the SEC (which is a big pull for players).

I was reading how Georgia is potentially getting 4 or 5 five-star players from georgia in next years class. Surely Kirby can do something with that.

Florida has hovered in the high teens under McElwain, which is usually 7-9th in the SEC.

The higher tier guys will go to FSU, Miami, or out of state. SEC isn't as big of a draw when there are two other prominent programs in the same state that have competed for championships or will under Richt.

As for Kirby, I'm skeptical of the Saban coaching tree until further notice.

bachikarn

Tennessee shouldn't be better. Tennessee is losing everyone. This was their year to put up or shut up. Florida's recruiting is pretty bad so I don't know how much better they can be expected to be.

Georgia on the other hand will have a 2nd year coach which is usually enough to give at least a 2-3 game win improvement, especially when combined with the #3 recruiting class, may end up at #2 by NSD.

Still, let everyone pick Tennessee again. I'm cool with that.

wut. Our recruiting hasn't been bad. It isn't as good as it should be, but it has been top 15 save for the transition year due to Muschamp being a lame duck coach (Harbaugh had a similar issue).

Florida has hovered in the high teens under McElwain, which is usually 7-9th in the SEC.

The higher tier guys will go to FSU, Miami, or out of state. SEC isn't as big of a draw when there are two other prominent programs in the same state that have competed for championships or will under Richt.

As for Kirby, I'm skeptical of the Saban coaching tree until further notice.

This isn't correct. His first year was low 20s because Muschamp left a class in the 70s. He did a pretty good job saving the class. Last year was ranked 12. This year will likely be top 15 again by NSD.

andycapps

yep agree with the Butch comment.

I didnt know about McEwain's results, but surely the Gators can still recruit the top Florida talent by being in the SEC (which is a big pull for players).

I was reading how Georgia is potentially getting 4 or 5 five-star players from georgia in next years class. Surely Kirby can do something with that.

I don't know about 4-5 5 stars. They have 2 committed now, along with 15 4 stars and only 3 3 stars. That's the big difference with this class and Richt's. We'd always have a ton of 3 stars to fill out the roster. Kirby's just getting better players as a whole.

There's around 5 more players that UGA is in on that could possibly get us to the number you were talking about. I'm more concerned with the average star rating according to the 247 composite for each player and we're doing great in that.

As far as Smart bring part of the Saban coaching tree. We'll see. I could quibble and say he was on Richt's staff as well for a short time. If he's not the guy and he doesn't get us a conference championship in 2-3 more years then get rid of him.

Clearly when we fired Richt we were sending the message that we expect to win the division and compete for the conference consistently.

wut. Our recruiting hasn't been bad. It isn't as good as it should be, but it has been top 15 save for the transition year due to Muschamp being a lame duck coach (Harbaugh had a similar issue).

This isn't correct. His first year was low 20s because Muschamp left a class in the 70s. He did a pretty good job saving the class. Last year was ranked 12. This year will likely be top 15 again by NSD.

Top 15 isn't great though when you're in the SEC. Heck, UGA probably averaged around 10-12 with Richt every year but that's only good for 4th-5th in the SEC. Gets you what we had every year with him.

ryseing

12 is still 6th in the SEC. With the amount of talent the state has the flagship program should have a top 10 class every year. And it is likely Miami and FSU will have better classes than you this year.

I like McElwain FWIW but good recruiter is not something I would say is a part of his skillset.

bachikarn

Top 15 isn't great though when you're in the SEC. Heck, UGA probably averaged around 10-12 with Richt every year but that's only good for 4th-5th in the SEC. Gets you what we had every year with him.

Didn't say it was great. Said it wasn't bad. And I personally disagree. I don't think there is much of a difference between a top 20-10 class. Clemson averaged 13 in the last 4 years and they are now in the play offs.

I don't think recruiting is unimportant, but the recruiting services are not anywhere near accurate enough to be squabbling over like a 13th ranked class vs the 7th rank class.

Now when you consistently recruit in the top 1-3 like Bama does, that is different.

Also - 247 said UGA is ranked 6th in terms of talent this year and his last year. This was 3rd in the SEC both years, and #1 in the East. Richt's problem wasn't recruiting. It was coaching.

12 is still 6th in the SEC. With the amount of talent the state has the flagship program should have a top 10 class every year. And it is likely Miami and FSU will have better classes than you this year.

I like McElwain FWIW but good recruiter is not something I would say is a part of his skillset.

Don't see Miami ending up higher than us. They have a lower average recruit, and are closer to finishing their class than we are. I too don't think Mac is an great recruiter but it is more about his staff. If we end up getting Locksley, things will change a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom