• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balphon

Exactly (not sarcasm). Since when did a bad loss early in the season stop ANYONE from skyrocketing up the rankings? Trying to apply this mythical rule to Ohio State is unfair.

They say that if you're going to lose, do it early in the season (because everyone else is going to lose at one point or another). And that's exactly what happened.

That's how it's always worked, and that seems to be how it will continue to work. But that doesn't mean the fact that it works that way makes any logical sense.

Errr....you know that teams usually leapfrog other teams after they beat ranked opponents right? And Ohio State 1) beat a ranked team 2) in a CC game 3) in a commanding fashion. That calls for some leapfroggin

Nobody batted an eye when they went No. 14 to No. 8 for doing much less.

People keep saying that Ohio State is being evaluated by one game and criticizing the committee for not following the entire season. And now I'm starting to wonder if those same people have even been following the rankings throughout the entire season.

Baylor and FSU didn't do those things and they jumped TCU too.

There's really no need to be so intellectually dishonest about this. You and I both know that if the team in TCU's situation were Texas or Oklahoma they'd still be at #3. Them's just the breaks. But you really shouldn't be deluding yourself into thinking that the deciding factor was anything other than the fact that Ohio State happens to be Ohio State.

MIMIC

Banned
That's how it's always worked, and that seems to be how it will continue to work. But that doesn't mean the fact that it works that way makes any logical sense.

So why are you criticizing Ohio State for it?

Baylor and FSU didn't do those things and they jumped TCU too.

There's really no need to be so intellectually dishonest about this. You and I both know that if the team in TCU's situation were Texas or Oklahoma they'd still be at #3. Them's just the breaks. But you really shouldn't be deluding yourself into thinking that the deciding factor was anything other than the fact that Ohio State happens to be Ohio State.

1. Both Baylor and FSU beat a ranked opponent (FSU in a CC game and therefore are ahead of both TCU and Baylor)

2. TCU got their due credit in 2010: No. 6 Ohio State beat No. 12 Arkansas and ended the up 5th in the final rankings. No. 3 TCU beat No. 6 Wisconsin and ended up 2nd in the final rankings.

Beat someone who matters in the end and you chances are you'll either 1) move up or 2) won't drop. That's the way it has been, and that's the way it always will be.

Balphon

So why are you criticizing Ohio State for it?

I'm not, I'm criticizing your seemingly pathological need to paint Ohio State as somehow more deserving of the playoff spot. They aren't; TCU and Baylor's claims to it are at least as good. Ohio State ended up with it because they are the traditional power of the three. It's exactly that simple.

1. Both Baylor and FSU beat a ranked opponent (FSU in a CC game and therefore are ahead of both TCU and Baylor)

2. TCU got their due credit in 2010: No. 6 Ohio State beat No. 12 Arkansas and ended the up 5th in the final rankings. No. 3 TCU beat No. 6 Wisconsin and ended up 2nd in the final rankings.

Beat someone who matters in the end and you chances are you'll either 1) move up or 2) won't drop. That's the way it has been, and that's the way it always will be.

You're aware that an appeal to tradition is a logical fallacy, right? There is no cogent argument to be made that TCU is somehow that much worse or Ohio State that much better than they were a week ago.

And even so, I don't think you'll find many examples of a top 5 team dropping three spots after winning by 8 scores regardless of what the teams below them did.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
if they're as good, then it's 3 teams fighting for 1 spot, and there's no right or wrong team.

GAF Pick'em 2014 Season Results and Rankings
Rank [ Change ] User < Score | Total Pts > ( Last Pts / Last Picks )
1 [ &#9660;0 ] Battlezone < 151 | 158 > ( 10 / 8 )
2 [ &#9650;1 ] xeris < 148 | 153 > ( 14 / 10 )
3 [ &#9660;1 ] tokkun < 147 | 151 > ( 12 / 9 )
4 [ &#9650;2 ] StrikerObi < 145 | 152 > ( 14 / 10 )
4 [ &#9660;0 ] Yaboosh < 145 | 151 > ( 12 / 9 )
6 [ &#9660;1 ] Jhriad < 144 | 149 > ( 12 / 10 )
7 [ &#9660;1 ] GoldenEye 007 < 140 | 141 > ( 9 / 9 )
8 [ &#9650;1 ] AntoneM < 138 | 145 > ( 10 / 8 )
8 [ &#9660;0 ] perfectchaos007 < 138 | 144 > ( 9 / 7 )
10 [ &#9650;2 ] Monroeski < 137 | 142 > ( 12 / 10 )
10 [ &#9650;1 ] Purple Cheeto < 137 | 141 > ( 11 / 9 )
12 [ &#9660;2 ] KingGondo < 136 | 142 > ( 9 / 7 )
12 [ &#9660;0 ] theprodigy < 136 | 141 > ( 11 / 9 )
14 [ &#9650;1 ] FelixOrion < 135 | 140 > ( 12 / 9 )
15 [ &#9650;11 ] Mac the KNife < 133 | 139 > ( 16 / 11 )
15 [ &#9650;2 ] Enfinit < 133 | 138 > ( 13 / 9 )
15 [ &#9650;1 ] Cyan < 133 | 137 > ( 12 / 10 )
18 [ &#9660;1 ] zyxwvu4321 < 132 | 138 > ( 12 / 10 )
18 [ &#9650;3 ] cdyhybrid < 132 | 132 > ( 13 / 9 )
20 [ &#9660;3 ] Randolph Freelander < 131 | 135 > ( 11 / 9 )
20 [ &#9650;4 ] bucknuticus < 131 | 133 > ( 13 / 10 )
22 [ &#9660;1 ] ag-my001 < 130 | 135 > ( 11 / 9 )
23 [ &#9650;1 ] Incognito < 129 | 133 > ( 11 / 9 )
23 [ &#9660;9 ] Jay Sosa < 129 | 129 > ( 0 / 0 )
25 [ &#9650;1 ] devildog820 < 128 | 132 > ( 11 / 9 )
25 [ &#9660;4 ] GodfatherX < 128 | 131 > ( 9 / 7 )
25 [ &#9650;6 ] truly101 < 128 | 128 > ( 15 / 11 )
28 [ &#9650;2 ] MrJames < 125 | 131 > ( 11 / 10 )
28 [ &#9660;0 ] Schmitty < 125 | 130 > ( 9 / 6 )
30 [ &#9660;2 ] chicko1983 < 124 | 130 > ( 8 / 6 )
31 [ &#9650;5 ] Affeinvasion < 123 | 130 > ( 12 / 9 )
31 [ &#9650;2 ] rhfb < 123 | 128 > ( 11 / 9 )
33 [ &#9660;0 ] Ganhyun < 122 | 127 > ( 10 / 8 )
34 [ &#9660;17 ] Crimson Commie < 120 | 120 > ( 0 / 0 )
35 [ &#9650;3 ] andycapps < 118 | 118 > ( 13 / 9 )
36 [ &#9650;1 ] cashman < 117 | 121 > ( 8 / 6 )
36 [ &#9660;5 ] Frustrated_Grunt < 117 | 117 > ( 0 / 0 )
36 [ &#9660;3 ] pxleyes < 117 | 117 > ( 0 / 0 )
39 [ &#9660;0 ] JCX < 113 | 113 > ( 9 / 8 )
40 [ &#9660;0 ] sf2fanatic < 111 | 115 > ( 12 / 9 )
41 [ &#9660;1 ] Subitai < 101 | 101 > ( 2 / 2 )
42 [ &#9660;0 ] Draconian < 95 | 95 > ( 0 / 0 )
43 [ &#9660;0 ] AlteredBeast < 92 | 92 > ( 0 / 0 )
44 [ &#9660;0 ] Draxal < 88 | 88 > ( 0 / 0 )
45 [ &#9660;0 ] jamesinclair < 87 | 87 > ( 8 / 7 )
46 [ &#9660;0 ] Lonestar < 77 | 77 > ( 0 / 0 )
46 [ &#9660;0 ] Westonian < 77 | 77 > ( 0 / 0 )
48 [ &#9660;0 ] ConfusingJazz < 63 | 63 > ( 0 / 0 )
49 [ &#9660;0 ] mre < 61 | 61 > ( 0 / 0 )
50 [ &#9660;0 ] bachikarn < 49 | 49 > ( 0 / 0 )
51 [ &#9660;0 ] Talka < 47 | 47 > ( 0 / 0 )
52 [ &#9660;0 ] StoOgE < 43 | 43 > ( 0 / 0 )
53 [ &#9650;1 ] Kacar < 37 | 37 > ( 6 / 5 )
54 [ &#9660;1 ] Schlep < 34 | 34 > ( 0 / 0 )
55 [ &#9660;0 ] NihonTiger90 < 29 | 29 > ( 0 / 0 )
55 [ &#9660;0 ] JJDinomite < 29 | 29 > ( 0 / 0 )
57 [ &#9660;0 ] johnbone < 19 | 19 > ( 0 / 0 )
57 [ &#9660;0 ] Torlain < 19 | 19 > ( 0 / 0 )
59 [ &#9660;0 ] Sotha_Sil < 14 | 14 > ( 0 / 0 )
60 [ &#9660;0 ] MightyHealthy < 11 | 11 > ( 0 / 0 )
61 [ &#9660;0 ] wbsmcs < 8 | 8 > ( 0 / 0 )
61 [ &#9660;0 ] Zach < 8 | 8 > ( 0 / 0 )
61 [ &#9660;0 ] Garryk < 8 | 8 > ( 0 / 0 )
61 [ &#9660;0 ] Xplatformer < 8 | 8 > ( 0 / 0 )
61 [ &#9660;0 ] ulua < 8 | 8 > ( 0 / 0 )
66 [ &#9660;0 ] BertramCooper < 7 | 7 > ( 0 / 0 )
67 [ &#9660;0 ] LosDaddie < 6 | 6 > ( 0 / 0 )
68 [ &#9660;0 ] CouldBeWorse < 5 | 5 > ( 0 / 0 )

Week 15 High Score: 16 by Mac the KNife NEW SEASON RECORD
Most Correct Picks: 11 by Mac the KNife, truly101,
Most MoV Picks: 5 by Mac the KNife

CONGRATS TO BATTLEZONE, CHAMPION OF THE GAF PICK'EM 2014!
Give him the crystal football!

PROxhAx.png

MIMIC

Banned
I'm not, I'm criticizing your seemingly pathological need to paint Ohio State as somehow more deserving of the playoff spot. They aren't; TCU and Baylor's claims to it are at least as good. Ohio State ended up with it because they are the traditional power of the three. It's exactly that simple.

1. What are you talking about? You literally JUST finished criticizing Ohio State for a bad loss early in the season.

You're aware that an appeal to tradition is a logical fallacy, right? There is no cogent argument to be made that TCU is somehow that much worse or Ohio State that much better than they were a week ago.

Now we're going in circles because I already addressed this (rank team, leapfrog, etc.) If you don't like how the rankings work, then that's not my problem. Had TCU beat a team that mattered in the end, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

And even so, I don't think you'll find many examples of a top 5 team dropping three spots after winning by 8 scores regardless of what the teams below them did.

Didn't you just criticize me for "appealing to tradition"? Your posts are coming off as extremely disingenuous. You can't pick and chose which traditions deserve to be followed and which ones don't.

edit:

Really? He jumps 11 spots just because he scored a lot of points in the final week? That's pretty goddamn suspect, dude.

lol

I suppose I should note here that unless something changes (like I win the lottery), this will be the last season that I do the pick'em. It's been a ton of fun but it's also quite a bit of work, and ultimately I can't justify to myself the time commitment necessary for it.

Thanks to everyone in CFB-GAF for letting me run it for so many seasons, and for participating. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Really? He jumps 11 spots just because he scored a lot of points in the final week? That's pretty goddamn suspect, dude.

:jnc

cdyhybrid

Thanks for doing the Pick 'Em, ttk.

Finished in the top 20. I'll take it! We clearly need to expand the playoff though, I feel I had a case.

Balphon

1. What are you talking about? You literally JUST finished criticizing Ohio State for a bad loss early in the season.

I brought that up to illustrate the point that the 3 teams we're talking about have roughly equal claims to the playoff spot: Baylor has the best win, TCU the best loss, OSU the worst loss, etc etc.

1Now we're going in circles because I already addressed this (rank team, leapfrog, etc.) If you don't like how the rankings work, then that's not my problem. Had TCU beat a team that mattered in the end, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Had TCU been Texas we wouldn't be having this conversation because Ohio State wouldn't be in the playoff. The rankings work just fine, but the decision between OSU, Baylor, and TCU was entirely arbitrary and it's silly to suggest otherwise. It's also hilariously crass to accuse me of being disingenuous while simultaneously suggesting there were clear performance-based factors that justify elevating OSU above the other two.

1Nowidn't you just criticize me for "appealing to tradition"? Your posts are coming off as extremely disingenuous. You can't pick and chose which traditions deserve to be followed and which ones don't.

All you're doing is appealing to tradition, which doesn't actually present a coherent argument. You certainly can and should stop following traditions that serve no function and/or are ultimately harmful.

Moreover, even in the context of past practices, TCU's drop is fairly unprecedented, so your attempt to argue that "tradition" vindicates OSU falls apart on its face.

MIMIC

Banned
I brought that up to illustrate the point that the 3 teams we're talking about have roughly equal claims to the playoff spot: Baylor has the best win, TCU the best loss, OSU the worst loss, etc etc.

The point was moot because an early loss never matters. Ever. EVER. I don't know why you keep repeating it.

Had TCU been Texas we wouldn't be having this conversation because Ohio State wouldn't be in the playoff. The rankings work just fine, but the decision between OSU, Baylor, and TCU was entirely arbitrary and it's silly to suggest otherwise. It's also hilariously crass to accuse me of being disingenuous while simultaneously suggesting there were clear performance-based factors that justify elevating OSU above the other two.

TCU's final game was against a 2-win team
Ohio State final game was against ranked opponent in a CC game.

I like how you keep ignoring this.

Moreover, even in the context of past practices, TCU's drop is fairly unprecedented, so your attempt to argue that "tradition" vindicates OSU falls apart on its face.

1. The drop was merited based on the extreme circumstances (which you continuously fail to acknowledge)

2. And an undefeated, preseason No. 1 (FSU) team being leapfrogged by 3 other teams at one point (Oregon, Alabama and TCU) is also unprecedented. The playoff itself is also unprecedented.

EDIT:

Like I said: when teams are only separated by a few ranking spots, what you do IN THE END is what matters. If FSU lost their last game, they can't go, "But we were undefeated the whole season!" It doesn't work that way.

Balphon

The point was moot because an early loss never matters. Ever. EVER. I don't know why you keep repeating it.

TCU's final game was against a 2-win team
Ohio State final game was against ranked opponent in a CC game.

I like how you keep ignoring this.

These essentially amount to self-serving arguments and protestations of "But it's always been this way!" There really isn't much to respond to, since your best argument for why TCU is definitively less deserving of a playoff spot than OSU seems to be the fact that Iowa State is bad.

There's no definitive choice. Two teams for screwed because two teams were always going to get screwed.

1. The drop was merited based on the extreme circumstances (which you continuously fail to acknowledge)

2. And an undefeated, preseason No. 1 (FSU) team being leapfrogged by 3 other teams at one point (Oregon, Alabama and TCU) is also unprecedented. The playoff itself is also unprecedented.

So tradition only matters when it benefits you. Gotcha.

EDIT:

Like I said: when teams are only separated by a few ranking spots, what you do IN THE END is what matters.

Okay. But that is a similarly arbitrary metric, so I'm not sure why it nullifies TCU and Baylor's grievances.

MIMIC

Banned
These essentially amount to self-serving arguments and protestations of "But it's always been this way!" There really isn't much to respond to, since your best argument for why TCU is definitively less deserving of a playoff spot than OSU seems to be the fact that Iowa State is bad.

There's no definitive choice. Two teams for screwed because two teams were always going to get screwed.

Like I said: if you don't like it, that's your problem. Don't blame the teams for doing what they're supposed to do to get in. TCU knows the rules.

So tradition only matters when it benefits you. Gotcha.

"TCU knows the rules"

Okay. But that is a similarly arbitrary metric, so I'm not sure why it nullifies TCU and Baylor's grievances.

"Like I said: if you don't like it, that's your problem. Don't blame the teams for doing what they're supposed to do to get in. TCU knows the rules."

(edit: and before you make some crazy post about what "the rule" is, let me be clear: it's playing a conference championship game)

Saturday afternoon:
After this blow out win there's no way TCU won't be in the playoffs. I doubt the committee will drop them below FSU. Unless FSU blows out Georgia tech
Everybody else is playing conference championship games against ranked opponents. TCU played Iowa St. If you think the committee won't hold that against them you're crazy.

HeySeuss knows the rules.

I really have no sympathy for tcu/Baylor and I would have had any for us if we didn't make the playoff. You lost a game, if you didn't want to leave a bunch of ambiguity up to a committee shouldn't have lost. Exactly how I would have felt if we got left out.

All you're doing is appealing to tradition, which doesn't actually present a coherent argument. You certainly can and should stop following traditions that serve no function and/or are ultimately harmful.

Criticizes appeal to tradition.
Repeatedly cites "past practices" and precedent in his own argument.

andycapps

disappointed with the Bowl game we got.

Me too. Was hoping the Notre Dame rumor was true, but we drew Louisville instead. Still, I think Bobo is going to love going up against Grantham, word is that they hated each other. Plus, he'll get an opportunity to test 3rd and Grantham (long) for himself. In our common opponents, it seems we have the edge over Louisville, still I think it's going to be a good game. As much as I've grown to dislike Grantham, he's done a good job with their defense this year. Petrino is still an awful human being, so this is basically a battle of good vs evil.

Art Briles voted Texas 5th in his final ballot in 2008 and OU number 1, despite head to head results (and the fact that pretty much no one had Texas that low). Texas needed to make up a small amount of ground to jump OU and play in the Big 12 title game (and Florida in the title game).

He now wants to have a pity parade when the same sort of jockeying hurts his team, but has passed the buck that someone else filled out that 08 ballot.

So, fuck him and Baylor. Zero sympathy.

Jimbo Fisher pulled something like that in the final poll this year. Didn't even rank UGA. Guess he's still bitter about Jeremy Pruitt coming to UGA.

How many bammers do we have here? Because here comes one more.

Go away and come back in 5 years when Bama sucks again.

Ha no doubt. None of them will be playing this year due to transfer rules, but I'm assuming they'll be on the sideline.

UGA's strength coach, Joe Tereshinski, retired this past week. I'm thinking that he was pushed to that because of UGA's losses this year. They could all be pinned on our DL getting (inexplicably) pushed around after doing just fine in our other games. Think we're going to see a new direction in that aspect this offseason. A focus by Richt seems to be on the ability to be more physical, combined with the ability to recover between plays quickly. So strong, but good stamina. I see lots of HIIT sprints this offseason for the players, and less long distance running. Hopefully they start first at looking to get the owner of GATA in Atlanta.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Ok, I can understand being pissed, and the fact that lots of fans got the snub because they wanted a Baylor or TCU in (because hey, the youth like All Offense All The Time and teams that have a better shot to beat Alabama, because everyone loves it when Alabama Loses), but this statement:

Is stupid. There are millions of OSUn fans, and they're everywhere. There are alot of Alabama fans (especially now with the Bandwagon Crew), but I still imagine it's less, simply based on regional population differences.

OSUn/Alabama will have an insanely high television rating.

Most of the nation doesn't care about TCU or Baylor, or really any Big XII team outside of Texas and Oklahoma (KU in basketballI guess)

thefro

The Big 10 was essentially a nonentity nationally for most of the season. Wisconsin lost to Northwestern and its best win is over Nebraska.

That's the crappy B1G West division

The worst team in the B1G East beat the SEC East champions at Missouri.

I feel like the idiotic way the polls work has conditioned people to think about rankings in an illogical way. Rankings shouldn't be immutable except when a team loses, the way the polls are. I'm glad the committee is taking a different approach.
Pretty much this.

Which is another reason why I don't think the committee should bother releasing rankings prior to the announcement of the final four.

If they want to do it internally, that's fine, but I don't think releasing them to the public does them any good. It just makes them look fickle.

15 [ &#9650;11 ] Mac the KNife < 133 | 139 > ( 16 / 11 )

Week 15 High Score: 16 by Mac the KNife NEW SEASON RECORD
Most Correct Picks: 11 by Mac the KNife, truly101,
Most MoV Picks: 5 by Mac the KNife

I'd just like to thank all those conference championship games for making this possible.

ded.

andycapps

Yay, Nebraska goes to their 3rd Holiday bowl in 6 years. At least we're not playing Georgia for the third year in a row.

The feeling is mutual, brother.

The worst bowl matchup in my eyes is the Mizzou and Minnesota one. That is going to be an empty stadium.

Lunar15 said:
I'm sure Urban is thrilled to be playing Saban again.

I just hope we get more sad Urban eating Papa Johns if MCU loses.

I suppose I should note here that unless something changes (like I win the lottery), this will be the last season that I do the pick'em. It's been a ton of fun but it's also quite a bit of work, and ultimately I can't justify to myself the time commitment necessary for it.

Thanks to everyone in CFB-GAF for letting me run it for so many seasons, and for participating. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

:jnc

Thanks for running it. Must of took a ton of time to run it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like the idiotic way the polls work has conditioned people to think about rankings in an illogical way. Rankings shouldn't be immutable except when a team loses, the way the polls are. I'm glad the committee is taking a different approach.
Pretty much this.

Which is another reason why I don't think the committee should bother releasing rankings prior to the announcement of the final four.

If they want to do it internally, that's fine, but I don't think releasing them to the public does them any good. It just makes them look fickle.

I'm leaning towards believing that the committee knew all week that Baylor was likely to jump TCU if they beat KSU (similar to how earlier in the season they had 3 SEC teams in the top 4 though everybody knew that would never happen in the end and they likely didn't think that all 3 were TRULY in the 4 best teams) but heading into the final weekend TCU still had the better snapshot-in-time resume. After Saturday, Baylor added another win over a ranked opponent, Minnesota was out of the rankings completely (at the time), and suddenly they both had the same number of ranked opponents on their resumes.

Problem is, as you guys say, fans aren't conditioned to that way of thinking, they're conditioned to the way the old polls work. The committee is doing more of a "this is how things look so far up to this week" than "this is who we think is truly the best" with their rankings before the final version.

Had TCU been Texas we wouldn't be having this conversation because Ohio State wouldn't be in the playoff.

IMO, honestly, even with the same 3 teams involved I think a Big 12 team (read: Baylor) could have gotten in over Ohio State if the conference hadn't pulled the ridiculous co-champions thing. If the conference had put all its weight behind Baylor as the champ I think they could have gotten a boost and made it in (though I can't say they 100% would have jumped Ohio State, of course).

Big 12 administration devalued their own championship by hedging their bets with the co-championship while ignoring the oldest tie-breaker in the book, Baylor devalued themselves with the marketing firm and essentially throwing a tantrum, the TCU "co-championship" is smoke and mirrors due to a head to head loss, and the rest is history.

I'm not as convinced as others that Ohio State wouldn't have jumped Texas if it was the exact same situation but the team names were switched, though; you'd still have Texas + whoever beat them squabbling amongst themselves and Ohio State would still be a blue-blood team that all the marketers would love to have. Where it may have made a bigger difference IMO is if Texas were switched with Baylor, as I don't think it's as likely the conference would have done the co-champions thing in the first place if it were Texas on the delivering end of the head to head win.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Go anyone-but-Oregon.

Twitter saying Mike Leach is interested if the Houston job opens up.

Leach going "job shopping" in the offseason? What a shocking turn of events.

Saw a post elsewhere that basically outlines what it would take for Houston to get him: $500k buyout for Tony Levine to fire him, $1.8 million buyout for Leach to get him away from Washington State, and somewhere north of the $2.75 million salary he is already making on top of that. All that for a guy who is 12-25 in his last 3 seasons? Not likely.

Ganhyun

If we did picks on yahoo they would never quit on us.

I assume we will start doing picks on Yahoo next year since, well, TTK is retiring.

Thanks for running the pickems TTK

We got crazy fucked. You can probably blame the AD for rolling over and taking it as well.

Fuck everything. I absolutely HATE being a Georgia fan.

Well, I'm hoping we blow out Louisville (lol I know, probably not) and and maybe build some decent momentum into next year that actually sticks with us and gets us an SEC championship. .

Balphon

Like I said: if you don't like it, that's your problem. Don't blame the teams for doing what they're supposed to do to get in. TCU knows the rules.

"TCU knows the rules a"

"Like I said: if you don't like it, that's your problem. Don't blame the teams for doing what they're supposed to do to get in. TCU knows the rules."

(edit: and before you make some crazy post about what "the rule" is, let me be clear: it's playing a conference championship game)

I don't really care either way. Still, you sure seem to be making up "the rules" as you go along, and they conveniently benefit Ohio State quite a bit.

Criticizes appeal to tradition.
Repeatedly cites "past practices" and precedent in his own argument.

I did that to demonstrate that even the appeal to tradition doesn't present a black-and-white reason to choose Ohio State. I didn't want him to accuse me of ignoring his argument.

Which I suppose he did anyway. I'm starting to wonder why I bothered, since now I'm getting it from both ends.

Maybe next time I won't proffer so controversial a notion as the fact that TCU and Baylor have a legitimate beef as to the way things turned out, even if it couldn't be helped (and the Big 12 sure as hell didn't help itself down the stretch).

EDIT: Or maybe I'll just take it as another lesson to not engage an illogical argument on its merits. Ah, well.

andycapps

Well, I'm hoping we blow out Louisville (lol I know, probably not) and and maybe build some decent momentum into next year that actually sticks with us and gets us an SEC championship. .

I hope we get some good DB's in this next class. Should have been a warning sign for us when Pruitt was griping in the preseason about no talent and nobody being able to play. And hopefully Richt grows a pair in the offseason and plays to win games instead of playing not to lose, because playing not to lose causes you to actually lose.

If we could beat Louisville with Stoudt, Georgia should have no problem I'd think.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Here's the issue that Randolph and I were kind of discussing in the last thread. If the committee knew, thought or even suspected that FSU beating Georgia Tech would be enough to move them back to 3 (assuming Bama and Nike won), then they should have left them at 3 last week. It literally made no sense to move them down if they already had this set of criteria in mind (conference champs, undefeated season, etc.) that they would use to evaluate FSU.

FSU played and beat a ranked opponent, Georgia Tech, in the ACC championship game, but their win was far from decisive. TCU played and destroyed an unranked ISU. There's no argument that FSU's win wasn't the higher quality win based solely upon the circumstances surrounding the games. But the kicker is that the committee knew all of this last week when they made the rankings. They knew FSU was playing Georgia Tech in a CCG and they knew TCU was playing unranked ISU, yet they put TCU ahead of FSU. There's no logic to this decision when, in retrospect, there was literally nothing TCU could do stay ahead of FSU as long as FSU won. The vast majority of the "controversy" concerning these picks came from the committee's decision to put TCU 3rd and FSU 4th, and all of it could be avoided had they applied some logic to their rankings. There were no advantages, from a rankings perspective, to putting TCU 3rd over FSU. If FSU lost, they could move TCU up anyway.

I know some people will applaud them for not being beholden to their previous rankings, and that's fine. I say that their Week 15 and Week 16 rankings demonstrate that the committee either (1) had no idea what criteria they would deem to be decisive in the final rankings or (2) they knew where they wanted to go and knew that their Week 15 rankings would generate controversy and fan interest. Each of these options is troubling for their own reasons.

Lunar15

Personally, I think having playoff rankings released each week is really dumb. If it's not going to matter until the end (clearly, this is how the committee viewed it), then just don't do it at all.

Oh wait, that's right... there's a show for it every week. Gotta get those tune-ins.

JCX

Glad we got a NYD bowl. Much prefer the hungover NYD games to the NYE games.

Now, to figure out why to hate Baylor.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Just search for articles from the past week quoting Briles.

Art Briles isn't reason enough to hate them?

But if you need another reason, Ken Starr (yes, THAT Ken Starr) is their university president.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I know some people will applaud them for not being beholden to their previous rankings, and that's fine. I say that their Week 15 and Week 16 rankings demonstrate that the committee either (1) had no idea what criteria they would deem to be decisive in the final rankings or (2) they knew where they wanted to go and knew that their Week 15 rankings would generate controversy and fan interest. Each of these options is troubling for their own reasons.

Right or wrong, I really just think they tried to put together rankings based only on what had already happened with no eye towards what would happen in the future.

"Won't FSU just move back up to 3 if they beat Georgia Tech?"
"Doesn't matter. They haven't beaten Georgia Tech yet."

"Why is Baylor behind TCU if we think Baylor will pass them when they beat KSU?"
"Because they haven't beaten KSU yet."

Just search for articles from the past week quoting Briles.

Just read Art Briles quotes from the last day or so.

Art Briles isn't reason enough to hate them?

WHY DO YOU ALL HATE AMERICA

ME8DWoY.jpg

As I expected, Colin Cowherd is thrilled with the choices. His belief is that the NCAA primarily made the decision for TV ratings...nobody outside of Texas gives two shits about TCU and Baylor, and having a national power like OSU in changes that.

KingGondo

Banned
Oh wow. :jnc

You came to the right place.

1. Annoying fans who can't remember further back than 2010.
2. Steeples on parking garages.
3. RGIII is a whiny punk who got a statue in spite of never accomplishing anything as a team while he was there.
4. Ken Starr.
5. Paid (probably) millions to a PR firm so they could finish just outside the playoff.
6. Was an asshair away from being in Conference USA when the Big 12 was dissolving.
7. Will go back to sucking as soon as Briles retires.

Jamesways

Wisc gets Auburn. Again.

Not happy with that. Although at this point, doesn't really matter who they got after Sat's display.

KingGondo

Banned
Chris Low said:
Tennessee's Butch Jones gets a two-year extension through 2020 and his salary is bumped from $3 million to $3.6 million per year.
Holy shit.

Those are Kingsbury levels of desperation right there.

Right or wrong, I really just think they tried to put together rankings based only on what had already happened with no eye towards what would happen in the future.

"Won't FSU just move back up to 3 if they beat Georgia Tech?"
"Doesn't matter. They haven't beaten Georgia Tech yet."

"Why is Baylor behind TCU if we think Baylor will pass them when they beat KSU?"
"Because they haven't beaten KSU yet."

mre already restated the point surrounding TCU's situation, but I once again agree that if TCU had no shot of finishing 3 with everybody winning, they shouldn't have been 3 last week. The committee has to be smarter than that and tip their hand a bit, unless all they (and ESPN) want is controversy (and I think we can agree this is plausible).

I also think it is all kinds of illogical to place undue importance on a thirteenth game or on a conference championship game. We've seen these teams all year, we know who they are. If they lose, we'll reevaluate. If there's an injury, same. If a team looks extremely impressive (hello, Ohio State), we'll recalibrate. But after 11 or 12 games, you sort of know who a team is. If TCU was legitimately the 3rd best team in the country last week, then where exactly did TCU go wrong? I get reevaluating Ohio State a bit, but did Baylor really show you something in beating Kansas State? Did Florida State impress anybody by beating Georgia Tech?

Again, I have no problem with the 4 in the playoff, but the process of getting there was an absolute farce. TCU could do nothing to remain ahead of Florida State short of Florida State losing, so they shouldn't have been ahead of them in the first place. If they're 4 last week, nobody cares when they slip behind Ohio State and even Baylor. It's the 3 spot tumble that just reveals the process to be unnecessary drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom