• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff Thread | Setting A Daggerous Precedent

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
The rankings were pointless, but they were not unfair to TCU that week. That's the ranking they deserved up until that week. I think you guys are having a hard time dealing with the fact that the committee doesn't care about potential future outcomes and is only evaluating the teams based on what they've done up to that point. The committee NEVER indicated that TCU or any other team would be in if they took care of business. It was always dependent on both TCU and the success of Baylor and OSU.

Again, when you know how the committee works it's really obvious TCU wasn't getting in with Baylor and OSU's results.
I don't think anyone knows this, much less the people on the committee.

Piggus

1. It's not a poll

2. They've been fairly clear about how the process works and their guidelines. You may not agree with it (I agree that they should project forward somewhat) but the results shouldn't be surprising to anyone based on what they've said.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
1. It's not a poll

2. They've been fairly clear about how the process works and their guidelines. You may not agree with it (I agree that they should project forward somewhat) but the results shouldn't be surprising to anyone based on what they've said.

But how could we be anything but surprised?

With no forward projecting it's totally random every week. We have no way of knowing how much they value a certain win because without pre-baking in future results we have no idea how they view the opponent until after they give us the new poll. They are effectively intentionally withholding information that is key to their thought process.

They have basically created a process where now we have a poll that comes out weekly (ratings, whatever) that is completely useless.

By the final week of the season you should have a pretty good idea of who you think the teams are, and short of something upending that thought process there should be very little movement otherwise I'm lead to believe you are just making it up as you go along.

I mean, no decisions are actually made this way by humans. The committee knew they were moving TCU down if Baylor won, tOSU won and Florida St won (all expected results on paper).

So what we have is this:

1) The committee knows what they intend to do given the expected results (the poll we have now).
2) The committee ignores this thought process and releases a totally different ranking that ignores their actual thought process going forward.

Number 2 is a totally worthless data point for anyone in the world. So why are they releasing it?

Piggus

But how could we be anything but surprised?

With no forward projecting it's totally random every week. We have no way of knowing how much they value a certain win because without pre-baking in future results we have no idea how they view the opponent until after they give us the new poll. They are effectively intentionally withholding information that is key to their thought process.

They have basically created a process where now we have a poll that comes out weekly (ratings, whatever) that is completely useless because they are going to tell us how they now think every single week.

By the final week of the season you should have a pretty good idea of who you think the teams are, and short of something upending that thought process there should be very little movement otherwise I'm lead to believe you are just making it up as you go along.

I mean, no decisions are actually made this way by humans. The committee knew they were moving TCU down if Baylor won, tOSU won and Florida St won (all expected results on paper).

So what we have is this:

1) The committee knows what they intend to do given the expected results (the poll we have now).
2) The committee ignores this thought process and releases a totally different ranking that ignores their actual thought process going forward.

Number 2 is a totally worthless data point for anyone in the world. So why are they releasing it?

Based on the guidelines that they set, it's up to us to predict what the outcome might be. And it was obvious TCU was going to get jumped. The committee said that championship games are a factor. They also said that they would take the head to head into consideration. They said they don't consider potential future wins or losses. Based on that, it was obvious that TCU was going to get jumped by Baylor (head to head win and a win against K-State that aligned their resumes) and OSU (huge win in a championship game). Yes, you could argue that they should not have been ahead of FSU but FSU again was in a championship game and looked pretty good.

mre

Based on the guidelines that they set, it's up to us to predict what the outcome might be. And it was obvious TCU was going to get jumped. The committee said that championship games are a factor. They also said that they would take the head to head into consideration. They said they don't consider potential future wins or losses. Based on that, it was obvious that TCU was going to get jumped by Baylor (head to head win and a win against K-State that aligned their resumes) and OSU (huge win in a championship game). Yes, you could argue that they should not have been ahead of FSU but FSU again was in a championship game and looked pretty good.
I don't see anything in their guidelines about not being forward looking when making their rankings: http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/selection-committee-protocol

So, what's the thought, if Baylor had lost to Kansas State, leaving TCU as the sole XII champion, does that change anything?

I believe Kansas State and TCU would have then been co-champions.

I thought the way the committee ranked the teams last week was them sending a message that OSU wasn't getting in. Not only was TCU at 3, but Wisconsin barely moved up, while Minnesota dropped completely out. And Arizona jumped Michigan State. I figured they were setting themselves up for a convenient excuse to leave OSU out and not have to deal with the Cardale Jones thing in case OSU won a fluky, close game. Obviously, that didn't happen.

Also, I get the frustration over TCU being ranked third in the first place, but I don't understand why everyone all of a sudden is upset that TCU is behind Baylor. Especially after weeks of complaining that TCU was ranked ahead of Baylor. Every week, the talking heads kept saying, "well, THIS week is surely the week they correct the head-to-head ranking," then when they finally corrected it, all of a sudden they're upset that TCU dropped to six. Where were they supposed to go when they "corrected" the ranking?

Not really football related, but a list of compensation for private university administrators.

Among football schools you have:

Rice 7th
Tulsa 13th
USC 14th
Miami 17th
Vandy 22nd
TCU 23rd
Northwestern 24th
Duke 26th
Tulane 30th
Wake Forest 36th

Wonder how many of these the head football coach makes more, I'd guess USC for sure.

Hey now, if we can't get Florida to play a game outside of the southeast what makes you think we can get them to play one in another time zone?
Missouri is in another time zone and not in the southeast

Well if you make it a requirement for the CFP then they don't have much of a choice, do they?

Also I think Colorado, Utah and the Arizona schools are in separate time zones from the other Pac 12 schools but that's not my point! OOC scheduling inequality continues to be the biggest issue in comparing teams. The next problem is of course the unbalanced nature of in conference scheduling because of bloated conference sizes but one issue at a time.

mre

Jesus, if this doesn't have it's own thread yet, I think it needs it. I don't even understand why they were messing with the guy in the first place. So he walked the wrong way, why did they even try to arrest him? Much less beat on him and try to use a taser on him?
Go for it. Here's the title from the thread on Tigerdroppings where I saw the link: "Cops protect and serve the hell out of Oregon fan at Pac 12 championship game."

mre

I believe Kansas State and TCU would have then been co-champions.

I thought the way the committee ranked the teams last week was them sending a message that OSU wasn't getting in. Not only was TCU at 3, but Wisconsin barely moved up, while Minnesota dropped completely out. And Arizona jumped Michigan State. I figured they were setting themselves up for a convenient excuse to leave OSU out and not have to deal with the Cardale Jones thing in case OSU won a fluky, close game. Obviously, that didn't happen.

Also, I get the frustration over TCU being ranked third in the first place, but I don't understand why everyone all of a sudden is upset that TCU is behind Baylor. Especially after weeks of complaining that TCU was ranked ahead of Baylor. Every week, the talking heads kept saying, "well, THIS week is surely the week they correct the head-to-head ranking," then when they finally corrected it, all of a sudden they're upset that TCU dropped to six. Where were they supposed to go when they "corrected" the ranking?
Are people here upset about TCU being behind Baylor? I thought the consensus here was that TCU fell behind Baylor to shut Briles up.

StoOgE

Based on the guidelines that they set, it's up to us to predict what the outcome might be.

But why, when they could literally tell us by releasing their projected playoff teams week to week. Then adjust as new information comes in (losses, bad wins, good wins, previously big wins look less meaningful).

I'm all for no poll coming out at all and the total meltdowns that causes.

andycapps

Go for it. Here's the title from the thread on Tigerdroppings where I saw the link: "Cops protect and serve the hell out of Oregon fan at Pac 12 championship game."

That is a fantastic title. I'll go for it if someone else hasn't already. Will look.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Oh hey, that "guy who won't be named that's on FoxSports" did present a stat: The SEC West now leads the SEC East in CCG wins, 12-11, the first lead the West has had since after the first game (Alabama over Florida 1992).

mre

In all of the interviews with Long, he's said they don't project forward after Reese asks him a what-if style question.
That's Long not wanting to answer hypothetical questions on air. It's not verboten by their public guidelines, and I'll eat my hat before I believe they don't discuss that when they meet.

KingGondo

Banned
After all the games have been played I think the committee got the final 4 right.

I actually think the least deserving out of the top 6 is FSU. In no universe are they one of the best 4 teams in the country.

Think about how underwhelming you have to be to justifiably be #3 when you go 13-0 (a season after going 14-0 to win a national title).

andycapps

mre, why did you have to mention Tigerdroppings? Now I'm reading a thread about white people saying something racist that happened to them, and I want to bang my head against my desk.

Piggus

I don't know how Arizona is still in the top ten. Our defense played extremely well, but Zona was utter garbage on Friday. 25 total yards and only two first downs in the first half. They should have dropped just as much as Missouri imo.

mre

mre, why did you have to mention Tigerdroppings? Now I'm reading a thread about white people saying something racist that happened to them, and I want to bang my head against my desk.
That's your fault for clicking on a race thread started by Louisianians.
It's like they had them play Assassin's Creed as a guide to good policing.

"That guy stepped one foot into the restricted area! Kill him!"

It'd be comical if it weren't so damned scary.
He should have scaled the arena to escape them!
I don't know how Arizona is still in the top ten. Our defense played extremely well, but Zona was utter garbage on Friday. 25 total yards and only two first downs in the first half. They should have dropped just as much as Missouri imo.
They clearly felt Arizona was still a top 10 team. Now explain how Oregon failed to pass Alabama in the final rankings in a world where the committee tosses the rankings aside after each week.

Committee politics? I don't know, but maybe.

The ACC was caught somewhat flatfooted yesterday. Last week, Michigan State was 8 and Mississippi State was 10. With that order, the Big Ten would have gotten a slot in the Orange Bowl against the ACC, and the Big Ten's slot in the Citrus would have gone to the ACC.

This week, despite neither team playing, Mississippi State moved up to 7 and Michigan State remained at 8. This cost the Big Ten a spot in the Orange Bowl, but not in the NY6, and it also returned to them the Citrus slot. The word from those in the know is that it's primarily thanks to the Big Ten affiliated committee members, Tom Osborne and Barry Alvarez, and the move basically benefited both the Big Ten and the SEC to get all their teams into bowls.

But wait... there's more. Apparently last week's move was also somewhat orchestrated, in that Michigan State being rated above Mississippi State at a time when Ohio State was on the outside of the playoff was a beneficial outcome for the Big Ten to get more teams into the NY6 mix. With Ohio State in the playoff, that outcome wasn't needed, so the order was reversed.

In the end, the ACC thought they had the Citrus, found out they did not, and had to scramble to get all 11 eligible teams (plus Notre Dame) into bowls, which they did. The loss of the Citrus is what knocked Louisville down to the Belk Bowl, for example, knocked NC State down to St Pete, and kicked Pitt into the Armed Forces Bowl, which isn't an ACC affiliated bowl game.

If any of this political "scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" is true, then it's just the same old boys network as before under a different name.

Regarding the story of the aforementioned events, just look up Joe Giglio (writer for the Raleigh News & Observer, the de facto regional expert on ACC bowl dealings) on Twitter. I'm at the office, or I'd actually link the accompanying tweets.

cdyhybrid

They won their division and beat #2 Oregon!

Lonestar

That's your fault for clicking on a race thread started by Louisianians.

He should have scaled the arena to escape them!

They clearly felt Arizona was still a top 10 team. Now explain how Oregon failed to pass Alabama in the final rankings in a world where the committee tosses the rankings aside after each week.

No, he should just wait till they glitch out of existence or get confused and turn off A.I.

Just looking, man, Oregon's division was not very good. #2 Washington would be 4th or 5th in the SEC west with that record.

StoOgE

Committee politics.

We should create an objective system using computer modeling to get the politics out of football and select the statistically best 4 teams for the playoff!

giphy.gif

The CFB universe is caught in an infinite loop

Are people here upset about TCU being behind Baylor? I thought the consensus here was that TCU fell behind Baylor to shut Briles up.

I was thinking more about the talking heads yesterday, more so than here. Like Joey Galloway just can't understand why TCU fell from three to six, but also thought Baylor should have been ranked ahead of TCU based on head-to-head, but also thought OSU deserved to be in. It just makes my head hurt.

I also think he heavily implied Florida State shouldn't have been in at all, but kept getting muzzled whenever he wanted to say it.

Lonestar

AP All SEC

FIRST TEAM

Offense

WR — u-Amari Cooper, Alabama, 6-1, 210, Jr.
WR — t-Pharoh Cooper, South Carolina, 5-11, 201, So.
WR — t-Bud Sasser, Missouri, 6-2, 220, Sr.
L — La'el Collins, LSU, 6-5, 321, Sr.
L — Ben Beckwith, Mississippi State, 6-3, 306, Sr.
L — Arie Kouandjio, Alabama, 6-5, 315, Sr.
L — Laremy Tunsil, Mississippi, 6-5, 305, So.
C — Reese Dismukes, Auburn, 6-3, 295, Sr.
TE — Evan Engram, Mississippi, 6-3, 227, So.
QB — Dak Prescott, Mississippi State, 6-2, 230, Jr.
RB — Cameron Artis-Payne, Auburn, 5-11, 210, Sr.
RB — Nick Chubb, Georgia, 5-10, 228, Fr.
PK — Austin MacGinnis, Kentucky, 5-10, 168, Fr.
All-Purpose — Marcus Murphy, Missouri, 5-9, 190, Sr.

Defense

E — Shane Ray, Missouri, 6-3, 245, Jr.
E — Bud Dupree, Kentucky, 6-4, 264, Sr.
T — Robert Nkemdiche, Mississippi, 6-4, 280, So.
T — Johnathan Allen, Alabama, 6-3, 272, Sr.
LB — Martrell Spaight, Arkansas, 6-2, 231, Sr.
LB — Reggie Ragland, Alabama, 6-2, 254, Jr.
LB — Amarlo Herrera, Georgia, 6-2, 231, Sr.
CB — u-Senquez Golson, Mississippi, 5-9, 176, Sr.
CB — Vernon Hargreaves III, Florida, 5-11, 195, So.
S — u-Landon Collins, Alabama, 6-0, 222, Jr.
S — Cody Prewitt, Mississippi, 6-2, 217, Sr.
P — JK Scott, Alabama, 6-4, 185, Fr.

---

SECOND TEAM

Offense

WR — Josh Reynolds, Texas A&M, 6-4, 190, So.
WR — Sammie Coates, Auburn, 6-2, 201, Jr.
L — Greg Pyke, Georgia, 6-6, 321, So.
L — A.J. Cann, South Carolina, 6-4, 311, Sr.
L — Cedric Ogbuehi, Texas A&M, 6-5, 305, Sr.
L — Austin Shepherd, Alabama, 6-5, 320, Sr.
C — David Andrews, Georgia, 6-2, 294, Sr.
TE — Steven Scheu, Vanderbilt, 6-5, 250, Jr.
QB — Blake Sims, Alabama, 6-0, 208, Sr.
RB — Josh Robinson, Mississippi State, 5-9, 215, Jr.
RB — Jonathan Williams, Arkansas, 6-0, 223, Jr.
PK — Josh Lambo, Texas A&M, 6-0, 220, Sr.
All-Purpose — Pharoh Cooper, South Carolina, 5-11, 201, So.

Defense

E — Preston Smith, Mississippi State, 6-6, 270, Sr.
E — Derek Barnett, Tennessee, 6-3, 267, Fr.
T — Myles Garrett, Texas A&M, 6-5, 255, Fr.
T — Darius Philon, Arkansas, 6-2, 272, So.
LB — Benardrick McKinney, Mississippi State, 6-5, 249, Jr.
LB — t-Kwon Alexander, LSU, 6-2, 227, Jr.
LB — t-Kentrell Brothers, Missouri, 6-1, 240, Jr.
LB — t-Antonio Morrison, Florida, 6-1, 225, Jr.
LB — t-Curt Maggitt, Tennessee, 6-3, 251, Jr.
LB — t-Ramik Wilson, Georgia, 6-2, 237, Sr.
CB — t-Cyrus Jones, Alabama, 5-10, 194, Jr.
CB — t-Damian Swann, Georgia, 5-11, 180, Sr.
CB — t-Jonathan Jones, Auburn, 5-10, 182, Jr.
S — Braylon Webb, Missouri, 6-0, 200, Sr.
S — t-Ronald Martin, LSU, 6-2, 220, Sr.
S — t-Tony Conner, Mississippi, 6-0, 217, So.
P — Kyle Christy, Florida, 6-3, 198, Sr.

---

HONORABLE MENTION

Offense

Vadal Alexander, L, LSU, 6-6, 320, Jr.; Daniel Carlson, PK, Auburn, 6-4, 215, Fr.; Andre Debose, All-Purpose, Florida, 6-0, 195, Sr.; Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas, 6-5, 250, So.; Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama, 6-5, 296, Jr.; Denver Kirkland, L, Arkansas, 6-5, 337, So.; Marshall Morgan, PK, Georgia, 6-3, 200, Jr.; Speedy Noil, All-Purpose, Texas A&M, 5-11, 185, Fr.; Dan Skipper, L, Arkansas, 6-10, 326, So.; John Theus, L, Georgia, 6-6, 313, Jr.

Defense

Harold Brantley, T, Missouri, 6-3, 290, So.; Trey DePriest, LB, Alabama, 6-2, 250, Sr.; Trey Flowers, E, Arkansas, 6-3, 270, Sr.; Leonard Floyd, LB, Georgia, 6-4, 230, So.; Dante Fowler Jr., E, Florida, 6-3, 260, Jr.; Markus Golden, E, Missouri, 6-3, 260, Sr.; A.J. Johnson, LB, Tennessee, 6-2, 245, Sr.; Quincy Mauger, S, Georgia, 6-0, 199, So.; Jarran Reed, T, Alabama, 6-4, 315, Jr.; A'Shawn Robinson, NG, Alabama, 6-4, 320, So.; Gabe Wright, T, Auburn, 6-3, 284, Sr.

---

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Amari Cooper, Alabama

DEFENSIVE PLAYE OF THE YEAR

Shane Ray, Missouri

COACH OF THE YEAR

Dan Mullen, Mississippi State

FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR

Nick Chubb, Georgia

Disagree on Coach, once again. Saban, with a Running Back turned QB and no secondary, winning the SEC, instead goes to a guy who beat LSU and A&M when no one knew they'd lose 9 combined games

I'd say Sims would be 1st team. Better passer, just didn't run as many times as Prescott

Lonestar

Average to down.

Top 5 in Rating:
Code:
Name	Team      	Yr	Pos	G	Att	Comp	Pct.	Yards	Yards/Att	TD	Int	Rating	Att/G	Yards/G
1	Blake Sims	Alabama	SR	QB	13	355	230	64.8	3250	9.2	26	7	161.92	27.3	250.0
2	Hutson Mason	Georgia	SR	QB	12	262	178	67.9	2019	7.7	20	4	154.81	21.8	168.3
3	Dak Prescott	Miss St	JR	QB	12	345	211	61.2	2996	8.7	24	10	151.27	28.8	249.7
4	Nick Marshall	Auburn	SR	QB	12	271	163	60.1	2315	8.5	18	7	148.65	22.6	192.9
5	Bo Wallace	Miss	SR	QB	12	358	219	61.2	3085	8.6	22	11	147.68	29.8	257.1

Sims is #7 nationally in Passer Rating with Prescott being #15

Prescott ran 195 times for 939 yards and 13 touchdowns
Sims ran 73 times for 321 yards and 6 touchdowns
Mariota ran 117 times for 669 yards and 14 touchdowns

Code:
Name	Team	     Yr	Pos	G	Att	Comp	Pct.	Yards	Yards/Att	TD	Int	Rating	Att/G	Yards/G
1	Marcus Mariota	Oregon	JR	QB	13	372	254	68.3	3773	10.1	38	2	186.10	28.6	290.2

Mike Gundy's a Blind 40 year old Man. No way did Kansas State and Arizona just lose. Nope, didn't see it happen.

mre

AP All SEC

Disagree on Coach, once again. Saban, with a Running Back turned QB and no secondary, winning the SEC, instead goes to a guy who beat LSU and A&M when no one knew they'd lose 9 combined games

I'd say Sims would be 1st team. Better passer, just didn't run as many times as Prescott

Code:
Prescott
Passing	211	345	61.2	2996	8.7	24	74	10	151.3
Rushing	195	939	4.8	56	13

Sims
Passing      230	355	64.8	3250	9.2	26	87	7	161.9
Rushing       73	321	4.4	43	6

The only things I can think of that put Dak on top were (1) rushing stats, primarily yards and (2) Sims still gets viewed as the beneficiary of having Amari Cooper to throw to.

mre

Average to down.

Top 5 in Rating:
Code:
Name	Team      	Yr	Pos	G	Att	Comp	Pct.	Yards	Yards/Att	TD	Int	Rating	Att/G	Yards/G
1	Blake Sims	Alabama	SR	QB	13	355	230	64.8	3250	9.2	26	7	161.92	27.3	250.0
2	Hutson Mason	Georgia	SR	QB	12	262	178	67.9	2019	7.7	20	4	154.81	21.8	168.3
3	Dak Prescott	Miss St	JR	QB	12	345	211	61.2	2996	8.7	24	10	151.27	28.8	249.7
4	Nick Marshall	Auburn	SR	QB	12	271	163	60.1	2315	8.5	18	7	148.65	22.6	192.9
5	Bo Wallace	Miss	SR	QB	12	358	219	61.2	3085	8.6	22	11	147.68	29.8	257.1

Sims is #7 nationally in Passer Rating with Prescott being #15

Prescott ran 195 times for 939 yards and 13 touchdowns
Sims ran 73 times for 321 yards and 6 touchdowns
Mariota ran 117 times for 669 yards and 14 touchdowns

Code:
Name	Team	     Yr	Pos	G	Att	Comp	Pct.	Yards	Yards/Att	TD	Int	Rating	Att/G	Yards/G
1	Marcus Mariota	Oregon	JR	QB	13	372	254	68.3	3773	10.1	38	2	186.10	28.6	290.2

Mike Gundy's a Blind 40 year old Man. No way did Kansas State and Arizona just lose. Nope, didn't see it happen.
I had no idea Mariota only threw 2 ints all year. Give the man the Heisman.

Limedust

AP All SEC

I have more issue with Arie Kouandjio being a first team OL choice.

Lonestar

Richard Deitsch ‏@richarddeitsch 10m10 minutes ago
Overnight ratings CFB:
Bama-Missouri (CBS): 7.7
FSU-GT (ABC): 6.9
Oregon-Arizona (Fox): 4.2
Boise St.-Fresno St. (CBS): 0.9

Don't understand this, just assume people tuning in at the thought of an Alabama loss.

No clue why he didn't include the B1G CCG.

APR (Academic shiiiiit) of the top 6 teams:
Tom Paskus
‏@tspaskus
#CFBPlayoff contender Academic Progress Rates (APR):

Alabama -- 975
Ohio State -- 972
Oregon -- 958
FSU -- 958
Baylor -- 957
TCU -- 945

mre

Don't understand this, just assume people tuning in at the thought of an Alabama loss.

No clue why he didn't include the B1G CCG.

APR (Academic shiiiiit) of the top 6 teams:
Bookmarked for the next time an Oregon fan tries to throw academic shade our way.

Piggus

Bookmarked for the next time an Oregon fan tries to throw academic shade our way.

Hey, I was making fun of your fans, not the students. :p Let's be honest here... Not every fan in the stadium in an Alabama student/alum and the state is one of the worst in the country when it comes to public education.

Not as bad as Mississippi though!

mre

Hey, I was making fun of your fans, not the students. :p Let's be honest here... Not every fan in the stadium in an Alabama student/alum and the state is one of the worst in the country when it comes to public education.

Not as bad as Mississippi though!
I'm surprised you could type all that correctly, Mr. 958.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom