• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colors! 3D |OT| Art, in 3D. (Also in 2D on iOS)

Goli

23423423212123235.png

Developer: Collecting Smiles

Release dates and pricing:

Americas: April 5, $6.99.
Europe and Australia: Soon, pricing to be announced.
iOS version out now worldwide, $4.99.

What is "Colors!" ?

Colors! Gallery website's "about" page said:
Colors! is a simplistic painting application combining ease of use and powerful painting tools. It is based on modern painting techniques originally developed for drawing-tablets using desktop computers. Whether you are looking for doing doodles, sketching or painting Colors! is the perfect digital sketch-book.

What are its main features?

★Painting on the go!
★Change your brush's behaviour using the size and opacity slider!
★Easy to use interface!
★Upload your art pieces to the Colors! Gallery from withing the app!
★Stroke-by-stroke playback allows you to see how you did your art, and everyone else's too!
(example: http://colorslive.com/details/60116-L5_Astronaut_by_Benerator.php)

Exclusive to the 3DS version:

★3D paintings via layers!
★Collaborative painting via local wifi!
★Built-in Colors! Gallery allows you to interact with the community from your 3DS!
★Export your art pieces to up to 1600x900!

Where can I get it ?

Besides the 3DS version out now on the eShop, which is the reason this thread was made, there's also the iOS version which you can purchase here, or you can try the lite version here.

Links of interest:
Colors! Gallery
Collecting Smiles websites (contains dev diary!)
Nintendo Life interview with Jens Andersson
Trailer
Facebook page

Everyone, be sure to discuss and post your pieces here for all GAF to see after you upload them to the Colors! Gallery! :D

Goli

I thought the iOS version was close to the same as the DS homebrew?

Yes but the iOS version has a few more features.

By the way, the DS homebrew version is no longer supported by Collecting Smiles, and has been in fact taken down from their website; that probably has something to do with them now being actual licensed Nintendo developers which is why I didn't mention it in the first post, it might get them in trouble if the DS version keeps spreading, or something.

5amshift

Banned
Been playing over the past week and I can't stress how much fun it is. I did make the first GAF piece which I took down from the gallery a couple days ago. Really nice features and there is some insane shit people can make.

Platy

This and Epic Mickey are THE killer apps for the 3DS for me .... but i barely have money to get an used Game Boy Advanced now =/

zroid

Banned
I wish I were not such a complete artistic dunce, because from what I've seen of this thing, it looks to be quite amazing. The potential is staggering.

Platy

I recomend every living being, not matter how marginaly interested you are on this software, to look at this review.

Not exactly because of the review, but because the artist is the artistic manifestation of the lovechild of some gods, chuck norris and everything that is perfect and beautifull

... I mean ...

i2AQt.jpg

!!!!!!

Roto13

The little voice in the back of my head keeps telling me I'll learn how to paint eventually, so I bought this. My little voice is a lying whore, though, so I'll probably never be able to produce anything worthwhile with it. :p

_60243.jpg

First ever painting... Getting used to the tools.

Looking at the other picture posted in this thread, I have a loooooonnnng way to go

Shame about the lack of pressure sensitivity. I hope Nintendo implements it on the Wii U. I'm considering buying Colors 3D, but I think I'll boot up the original Colors DS again to see how I feel about it.

_60243.jpg

First ever painting... Getting used to the tools.

Looking at the other picture posted in this thread, I have a loooooonnnng way to go

Eh, it's a different style. Both have their merits. Regardless, yours is very nice.

DarkKyo

Wow, this is so cool and I had no idea about it. PERFECT timing too, as I'm heading off to PAX tomorrow! Now besides MK7 I'll have this to play with while waiting in lines. I imagine the 3D feature of the layers will be really helpful for learning depth while painting.

Chuckpebble

I always loved that style of color picker. I think it was Corel Painter that first had it? *shrug*

EDIT: Looked at release date after posting. Bought.

I gave this a 4.5/5, really enjoyed it! For you Swap Noters, it's a great way to add color 3D pictures to your messages by attaching them.

M3d10n

Got it. The bundled drawings are delicious. Besides the 3D, there's lots of stuff I don't remember being in the homebrew version:

- An actual eraser (necessary due to the layers);
- A coarse brush;
- Can use pictures (either from SD card or taken directly from the cameras) as reference;

This app also shows that Nintendo is opening up things a bit in the online space:

- There have been people with preview copies during development, so it seems eShop developers can grant external testers access to the unfinished games (on retail units, most likely);
- You register and sign up to a 3rd party service right form within the app;
- The app downloads and uploads data to a 3rd party server;

Now, features #2 and #3 have been done before on Nintendo systems (Flipnote, Netflix, etc), but never from small, independent developers.

This app also shows that Nintendo is opening up things a bit in the online space:

1) There have been people with preview copies during development, so it seems eShop developers can grant external testers access to the unfinished games (on retail units, most likely);
2) You register and sign up to a 3rd party service right form within the app;
3) The app downloads and uploads data to a 3rd party server;

Now, features #2 and #3 have been done before on Nintendo systems (Flipnote, Netflix, etc), but never from small, independent developers.

I hadn't thought about features 2 and 3 being new to smaller houses, but you're right.

Hm, with this functionality wide open does that mean we should brace ourselves to sign into Origin to play EA 3DS games now?
Actually, I can't think of any EA games I would want to play on 3DS so nevermind.

Platy

I hadn't thought about features 2 and 3 being new to smaller houses, but you're right.

Hm, with this functionality wide open does that mean we should brace ourselves to sign into Origin to play EA 3DS games now?
Actually, I can't think of any EA games I would want to play on 3DS so nevermind.

Steam achivements for Colors ? =D

Thinking of achivements for a painting app is .... hard

ghibli99

I recomend every living being, not matter how marginaly interested you are on this software, to look at this review.

Not exactly because of the review, but because the artist is the artistic manifestation of the lovechild of some gods, chuck norris and everything that is perfect and beautifull

... I mean ...

i2AQt.jpg

!!!!!!
Damn. I remember seeing some of the uDraw demos for the Wii, and it made me think I could create stuff like that. When I couldn't even draw a simple tree that well, reality set in. LOL I'll probably do better with this since I'll be drawing directly onto the screen, so I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.

... I mean ...

i2AQt.jpg

!!!!!!
Wow his drawings are incredible. Absolutely incredible.

Soul Beat

Shame on you guys. It's your fault that I had to run and get a card in order to buy this.

I can't wait to try it out.

giggas

I posted about this in the Nintendo Downloads thread but figured I'd throw it into the official one too. I did this Kid Icarus one while playing this for review.

60209.png

http://colorslive.com/details/60209-I'm_Finished!_by_shamoozal.php is the link for the video of it.

This software is pretty nifty. I don't have an iPad or iPhone so I've never had a rather legit piece of software like this for on the go. I was really impressed with how fun it was to paint in 3D. For the KI piece in particular I was really paying attention to the layers and depth. It was a cool experience.

I'm by no means on the same level as that dude with the insane artwork. That guy is just the king. What's awesome though is how we can watch exactly how he paints it thanks to the videos. That feature really goes such a long way.

vall03

will this be easy to use for complete amateurs? I've always been interested on art, its just that I never really tried to put much effort on it when I was a kid so I can say I suck at this.

zroid

Banned
Can you all post your MPOs on 3D Porch or some other file host from which we can view them on the 3DS? Would love to see this stuff in 3D.

giggas

will this be easy to use for complete amateurs? I've always been interested on art, its just that I never really tried to put much effort on it when I was a kid so I can say I suck at this.

Well, yeah, there is going to be quite the learning curve for you if you've never used any sort of painting program before, on top of not having much drawing or painting experience. It's not overly complex software, so it's pretty easy to just doodle.

If you're curious about seeing your artistic side, I think it's worth the price. To buy a nice sketch book with some pencils would actually cost more than this game. So you don't really have much to lose.

M3d10n

Does this app have tutorials that teach you techniques and stuff?

Nope. There are coloring books and you can see how the drawings were made from start to finish (the drawing files are actually "movies" which store each brush stroke).

If you want to learn, get Art Academy.

Can you all post your MPOs on 3D Porch or some other file host from which we can view them on the 3DS? Would love to see this stuff in 3D.

You can actually download the MPOs from the online gallery at http://colorslive.com/. It's not blazing fast on the 3DS browser, though.

Cranzor

Hmm, looks interesting. I might pick it up. Are the tools hard to use? I can draw decently but I barely know anything about painting.

joetachi

i cant wait to get this. The community for the app exploded un just one day. You can see a lot of new submisions from the 3ds so a good number of people bought it.

Goli

Hmm, looks interesting. I might pick it up. Are the tools hard to use? I can draw decently but I barely know anything about painting.

No, they're super easy to use in fact.

Finally got a chance to try this after class, it's more or less the same as the DS homebrew I was used to using, but better. I'll be sure to post my crappy sketch later here!

Top Bottom