• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colors! 3D |OT| Art, in 3D. (Also in 2D on iOS)

Eric C

I want this!

Does anyone know when it will be released in euro-eShop?

From reading the Colors! Facebook page, it seems NoE is taking it's time bug testing all the additional languages. So hopefully for all you people that have NoE, no more then just a few more weeks.

They had the option to delay the US release until the EU release was ready but they chose not to do that.

Goli

There are layers as in 5 different depts levels to draw but works as other software layers if you show it in 2D.

For those in Latin America I was able to buy it from the Brazilian store as I learned here on Gaf, and I am not in or from Brazil.

I live in Chile and to access the eShop I just changed my location to Alaska.

I want this!

Does anyone know when it will be released in euro-eShop?

"Soon."

the DS homebrew version had a Java applet that redrawed (not upscaled) with help of playback funtionality the paint at higher resolution is there such a thing for this version?
The Java applet itself still exists, here: http://colorslive.com/downloads.php
Not sure if it's compatible with the 3DS version's pieces.

I fell asleep last night looking at beautiful 3d art. This app rocks. I'm no painter but I'll definitely be doing some 3d abstract stuff, should be fun!

Cranzor

Here's another painting I just did. It's meant to be viewed in 3D so it looks pretty terrible in 2D.
_62120.jpg

Anybody else having problems with the colors being washed out when you upload it to the gallery? The colors I used are definitely not that dark.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I want this app in the european store, why do they do this to us?

Can't wait to see your awesome work in 3D guys.

backlot

I want this app in the european store, why do they do this to us?

Can't wait to see your awesome work in 3D guys.

You can download the .mpo files from the gallery website and view them through your 3DS's camera app right now if you want to.

Awesome stuff. Got a points card just to grab the app.

Made a quickie to try it out before going to bed.
_63340.jpg

Will make my avatar, I think.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
At long last. I got worried this app would never get an OT. How naive I was : )

Amazing stuff, guys! I see gaf going strong in the weekly picks.

Cranzor

I'm liking this more than I thought I would! Here's another I just did. It's nothing fantastic but I'm not a very good artist.
_62303.jpg

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Completely forgot this was coming out so soon. I'm insanely excited for this software. I think that I will buy a wacom tablet for CS5 as well.

Javier

Man, I wish I could do artsy stuff like you guys. All I'm good at is drawing Kirby Hats.

Is there anyway to seach the online gallery?

Goli

Man, I wish I could do artsy stuff like you guys. All I'm good at is drawing Kirby Hats.

Is there anyway to seach the online gallery?

On the web based one, just click the "search" icon, but on the 3DS based one, I don't think you can.

giggas

I seriously suck... *sigh*

I have a good feel on what the image will look, but the colors I used turned out bad.

Don't be too down on yourself. One of the secrets is to just slowly work your painting. Think of it as sculpting something. Most paintings look like yours at some point, but they just keep adding colors and tones and eventually things just work out. There is totally such a thing as over working a piece of art, but I've found that when it comes to painting, when it doubt, keep tinkering away.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I wish they'd combine this with Art Academy's stuff (if that's what I think it is). I'd buy it in a heartbeat (when/if I got a 3DS).

Oh wow no wonder the picture I made turned out so awful (it still is in skill level), I was working with the wrong zoom settings.

I just updated it in my previous post.

vall03

Don't be too down on yourself. One of the secrets is to just slowly work your painting. Think of it as sculpting something. Most paintings look like yours at some point, but they just keep adding colors and tones and eventually things just work out. There is totally such a thing as over working a piece of art, but I've found that when it comes to painting, when it doubt, keep tinkering away.

no prob, I'll keep on practicing. I probably should start on some other simpler stuff like still life before trying complex drawings. Man, I wonder what could have happened if drew more back when I was a kid...

Did this throughout the day today. During work when they should have let us home early, during some toilet time, and about an hour now.

62624.png

http://colorslive.com/details/62624-Samus_in_Battle_by_shamoozal.php

Be sure to check it out in 3D, dudes.

Hands down, this is the greatest piece I've seen so far. I love the style. Samus looks so cute here.

I can't wait till the app goes online in Europe. Of course NOE takes it's sweet time.

I'm much more of an ink and pen kind of artist, but I think this is a great time to brush up on my colouring skills. I have some neat plans for a few pieces, and am actually currently penning some sketches for my first projects.^^

giggas

These are all awesome guys. We have a talented group on GAF. I caught the splash mountain one last night and really dug it. Cool stuff.

edit: Also, thanks for the kind words guys!

watershed

Banned
How does this compare to Art Academy (apart from it being 3D of course)?

Similar and different in some ways. Art Academy has two phases, pencil and painting. So you could do entirely pencil work or use pencil as the under-drawing for a painting. Colors is just painting though you can still do under-painting with the layers.

I have both "games" and I find Art Academy is more about mimicking the feel and behavior of real art tools like pencil, brush, water, dry, paint etc. Colors is a more standard digital painting tool set. You can accomplish the same things in both but the process is a little different as are the tool sets.

But colors is better to me because of the 3d and the online gallery and because you have to work a little harder. Art Academy for example would naturally push and pull paint or apply a paper texture look to some pencil work whereas colors doesn't do that.

These are all awesome guys. We have a talented group on GAF. I caught the splash mountain one last night and really dug it. Cool stuff.

edit: Also, thanks for the kind words guys!

GAF art force assemble! Giggas, your metroid one looks so good in 3D!

watershed

Banned
Here's my newest painting, just finished it. Its not video game based though. In 3d the shading is on different layers than the lines and a few other things.
_63616.jpg

Platy

TinyCredit posted an interesting quote from the app's creator

Jens Andersson said:
It’s taken me the better part of a year to get Colors 3D out for the eShop — not because it’s a super-complex title, but because it’s taken that much time to work through all the feature execution details with Nintendo. They have gone out of their way to help me get the title out there with minimal compromise. At the same time, I think the title offered a good case study for Nintendo to solidify all the processes to make it possible for something like Colors 3D to exist on the 3DS.

This is mostly because Colors 3D has a heavy dose of user-generated content – to the level that hasn’t been done on the 3DS, or perhaps on any Nintendo platform before. It allows people to create, share and communicate, things we take for granted on a PC, but is still uncommon on consoles.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Here's my newest painting, just finished it. Its not video game based though. In 3d the shading is on different layers than the lines and a few other things.
_63616.jpg
That's a truly nice portrait. Kudos.

Top Bottom