• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMIC BOOK DAY!™ Thread - July 8th, 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

Diamond's Shipping List for 7/8/04

MONOLITH #6
SWAMP THING #5
Y THE LAST MAN #24
POWERS #1
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #62

Decent week. Nothing great like Ex Machina, Sea Guy, or Sleeper shipping this week, but hey, you can't have 'em every week! I'm looking forward to Powers though.

FnordChan

First off, proof that Bowser has excellent taste:

Y: The Last Man #24 - This is being plugged as a good jumping on point, being the first half of a two-parter on organized religion in the post-man world, with art by Pia Guerra. It should be great, and looks like an excellent way to try out the series. If you don't like it, you're out $6 at most.

Powers #1 - Speaking of jumping on points, a new volume of Powers is a wonderful thing to behold. I know, police proceedurals with superheroes has been driven into the ground lately, but Powers does a superior job with the concept. If you're not already reading Powers, this is a great place to start.

Ultimate Spider-Man #62 - How good is USM? Well, for starters it can make me look forward to the book even in the midst of a Carnage storyline...

Next, the rest of my haul:

Birds of Prey #69 - Gail Simone continues to do wonderful things with a slew of DC's heroines, even if she's saddled with an editorial mandate for excessive cheesecake. Not that I'm complaining too much about that, mind you. Here's yet another jumping on point, as BoP kicks off a six-issue story arc - with a bi-weekly release schedule! Woo!

Tom Strong #27 - I'd like to see more of Alan Moore and less of Alan Moore's friends on this title, but they generally do a great job, so I can only bitch so much.

And, the manga release of the week:

Nausicaa Volume 5 - Despite being a huge Miyazaki fan, I never got around to reading the Nausicaa manga when it was being released...or re-released...or re-re-released...etc, etc. Fortunatly, a friend gave me the first volume of the latest edition as a birthday present, and I'm now kicking myself for putting off an amazing read for so long. At least I got on the bandwagon in time for a beautiful new edition, oversized with sepia tone ink and full color poster inserts, for a mere $10 a pop. Environmental themes meet masterful world building and one of comics' finest heroines: Nausicaa is manga at it's finest. If this is a slow week for any of you, make a point to at least flip through the first volume:

1591164087.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

FnordChan

FnordChan

Bowser said:
At least the origin of Carnage is much better than the lame-o 616 version.

Oh, definately. Bendis is making Carnage seem reasonably interesting, which I thought was impossible.

FnordChan

BuddyC

after all the money i spent this past weekend, i came into this thread chanting "please be a slow week."

while two books, and whatever i missed last week, isn't bad, i'm still spending money :(

Y THE LAST MAN #24
POWERS #1

Bowser

BuddyChrist83 said:
after all the money i spent this past weekend, i came into this thread chanting "please be a slow week."

while two books, and whatever i missed last week, isn't bad, i'm still spending money :(

Y THE LAST MAN #24
POWERS #1

Whatever you missed last week...

LAST WEEK WAS SLEEPER SEASON TWO #1!

I can't believe you skipped the shop on Sleeper week...Buddy...

*shakes head*

:p

DC COMIC PRESENTS BATMAN #1 - These books are going to be great. Interesting concept and quality creative teams. I'm probably going to end up buying most of the DC Comics Presents books.

Y THE LAST MAN #24

POWERS #1 - FINALLY. I wasn't the biggest fan of the last arc over at Image (although Oeming was great during that storyline), so I'm glad to see that the massive flashback is over and we're returning to the main storyline. Is the letter column going to make the jump to Marvel intact? It's always good for a laugh.

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #62

Still no Blue Monday. You're killing me, Oni. GAH.

lordmrw

ACTION COMICS #775 2ND PTG
EXILES #49
POWERS #1 (MR)
THOR #82
UNCANNY X-MEN #446
TRANSFORMERS GENERATION ONE VOL 3 #6

not the most exciting week, but theres a plus in that there's no new manga that i collect coming out, saving me money. That Action Comics will replace my worn out copy of the first printing.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Ultimate Spidey and Powers is it for me. I'm going to try and pick up the issues of SeaGuy I missed while I was on my comic book hiatus.

Razoric

Banned
Anyone who wants to catch up on Ultimate Spiderman, I have an easy way to get up to issue #60 (to a brand new arc):

Ultimate Spiderman Collection: Issues #1-39
http://x-worldcomics.com/yourvirtualstore/shopexd.asp?id=12292

Ultimate Spiderman Vol.4 HC: Issues #40-45, #47-53
http://x-worldcomics.com/yourvirtualstore/shopexd.asp?id=11653

Ultimate Spiderman Vol.9 TPB: Issue #46 + Ultimates #1-7
http://x-worldcomics.com/yourvirtualstore/shopexd.asp?id=11654

Ultimate Spiderman Vol.10 TPB: Issues #54-59
http://x-worldcomics.com/yourvirtualstore/shopexd.asp?id=11971

There ya go!
I just bought most of these. :D

what's with all the spider-man avatars? lame.........

ACTION COMICS #775 2ND PTG *the only other joe kelly issue worth reading.. and read you must.*

BIRDS OF PREY #69 *BOOBIES!! ESTROGEN!! VAGINAS!!! UGLY GAIL SIMONE???!!?!?! she looks like randy rhodes!!!!*

DC COMIC PRESENTS BATMAN #1 *is azzarello writing this one or is it that old geezer/attention whore stan lee?

DETECTIVE COMICS #796 *i dont even know what's going on in this story and yet it's getting the pull list.... maybe i wont buy it...*

FIRESTORM #3 *NOT GETTING BOUGHT UNTIL I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REAL FIRESTORM AND NOT COLLIN POWELL FIRESTORM!!!*

HARD TIME #6 *i think im the only that digs this series, for shame.*

SWAMP THING #5 *buy buy buy buy...* *buy it...

Y THE LAST MAN #24 (MR) hopefully this story arc will lead into finally getting some answers *i dont wanna spoil it.... wait, yes i do. i think yorick survived because of the ring...but that's just too obvious....

and that's it... look for identity crisis next week.

Bowser

Monthly it's probably an average of ~$40-$50 for me.

edit: Actually, I think I'd up that a bit...I only got half my pull for the month of June and it cost $41, so I'd say something more like ~$60-$80.

Littleberu said:
How much do you guys spend by month for comics books?

for me it fluctuates but i'd say close to 80-100 bucks. but for every $100 dollars i spend, i get $20 dollars in store credit to buy new or back issues.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I did not pick up a single issue between May and June, and when I went to my pull I ended up spending about $60 for the two months combined.

A lot of people here buy a lot of shit, so of course that's going to add up.

nomoment

Remember, CANADIANS get their comics shipped tommorrow!

ACTION COMICS #775 2ND PTG - Missed it the first time around.
DC COMIC PRESENTS BATMAN #1 - Maybe. I'm digging the Johns/Infantino story, not sure about the other one.
FANTASTIC FOUR #515
INVADERS #0
UNCANNY X-MEN #446

For folks who want to read a great superhero story, buy Flash: Blitz, which comes out on Weds/Thurs. It collects Flash issues #192-200, which include the thrilling Flash/Zoom arc from last summer.

Willco

Hollywood Square
nomoment said:
For folks who want to read a great superhero story, buy Flash: Blitz, which comes out on Weds/Thurs. It collects Flash issues #192-200, which include the thrilling Flash/Zoom arc from last summer.

This is probably one of the greatest battles against a superhero and supervillain ever. It makes me want a Flash movie where he battles Zoom, because it has that kind of cinematic appeal.

Now if only Johns could get Flash back to that level of quality.

EDIT: OMG NOMO, YOU'RE BUYING UNCANNY X-MEN? BLASPHEMY.

nomoment

Littleberu said:
Probably around $50.

I get a nice in-store discount, don't buy a lot of trades, and only pull about 10-15 titles regularly. Plus, despite the fact that I try some new stuff, I research new books carefully, and have little tolerance for crap.

nomoment said:
Probably around $50.

I get a nice in-store discount, don't buy a lot of trades, and only pull about 10-15 titles regularly. Plus, despite the fact that I try some new stuff, I research new books carefully, and have little tolerance for crap.

Yet you're buying Uncanny! :p

Willco said:
This is probably one of the greatest battles against a superhero and supervillain ever. It makes me want a Flash movie where he battles Zoom, because it has that kind of cinematic appeal.

Now if only Johns could get Flash back to that level of quality.

EXCUSE ME?? FLASH NOT UP TO QUALITY? guess they cant be as good as spider-man. no, wait a minute....

Willco

Hollywood Square
nomoment said:
Probably around $50.

You still buy too much stuff!

I pull:

Astonishing X-Men
Daredevil
Spider-Man
Ultimate Spider-Man
Amazing Spider-Man (for now!)
The Pulse
Human Target
The Losers (soon to be dropped, new art sucks!)
Sleeper
Gotham Central

Quality, baby. Just quality. And of course I pick up stuff like Ex Machina, SeaGuy and such when necessary.

Willco

Hollywood Square
evil solrac v3.0 said:
EXCUSE ME?? FLASH NOT UP TO QUALITY? guess they cant be as good as spider-man. no, wait a minute....

Mark Millar's Spider-Man as far superior than The Flash right now. Really. I've been a big supporter of Johns' run on Flash for awhile, but it's pretty pedestrian right now. I don't have the money for pedestrian, when I can buy a ticket for Spider-Man 2 or buy the DVD boxset of Batman: The Animated Series.

nomoment

Willco said:
You'd be surprised, Uncanny X-Men is actually VERY good right now. Claremont is at his old-school best WITHOUT all that unncessary expository dialogue, and Alan Davis' art is as sharp as ever. If you're an old-school Claremont/Byrne/Cockrum X-Fan, you WILL like this book.

I don't know if this high level of quality will continue, but count me in for now.

nomoment said:
Probably around $50.

uncanny. WHY?!!?!?

Willco said:
You still buy too much stuff!

I pull:

Astonishing X-Men
Daredevil
Spider-Man
Ultimate Spider-Man
Amazing Spider-Man (for now!)
The Pulse
Human Target
The Losers (soon to be dropped, new art sucks!)
Sleeper

Quality, baby. Just quality. And of course I pick up stuff like Ex Machina, SeaGuy and such when necessary.

Where is Gotham Central?

nomoment

Uncanny is good! Shaddup naysayers!

Let's see, I'm pulling...

Astonishing X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Daredevil
Fantastic Four
MK Spider-Man
Amazing Spider-Man
She-Hulk
X-Statix
Gotham Central
The Flash
Hawkman
Human Target
The Losers
Ex Machina
Sleeper: Season Two

15 ongoing titles, plus SeaGuy. I'll probably be adding Bendis' Avengers soon, too.

Willco

Hollywood Square
nomoment said:
Uncanny is good! Shaddup naysayers!

Let's see, I'm pulling...

Astonishing X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Daredevil
Fantastic Four
MK Spider-Man
Amazing Spider-Man
She-Hulk
X-Statix
Gotham Central
The Flash
Hawkman
Human Target
The Losers
Ex Machina
Sleeper: Season Two

15 ongoing titles, plus SeaGuy. I'll probably be adding Bendis' Avengers soon, too.

Yeah, I'll buy adding The Avengers and Ex Machina, but DROPPING The Losers. It's so lame!

I also admit to reading Teen Titans, but I rarely pay for it or have it pulled.

Willco said:
Mark Millar's Spider-Man as far superior than The Flash right now. Really. I've been a big supporter of Johns' run on Flash for awhile, but it's pretty pedestrian right now. I don't have the money for pedestrian, when I can buy a ticket for Spider-Man 2 or buy the DVD boxset of Batman: The Animated Series.

millar. PFFT.

nomoment

Willco said:
Yeah, I'll buy adding The Avengers and Ex Machina, but DROPPING The Losers. It's so lame!

I also admit to reading Teen Titans, but I rarely pay for it or have it pulled.
I actually added The Losers based on the quality of the first trade. But see, here's the thing with Vertigo titles... an arc or two might suck here or there, but as a whole, it should be good. And plus, it seems like Diggle really knows what he's doing. I really hope Diggle doesn't go the way of the Azzarello, though, and just end up pussyfooting around the real conflict for like, 100 issues.

drop she hulk and uncanny mono.
where's Y: the last man?
where's giotham central?
where's...... lots more tittles...
bendis' avengers is gonna be......wait for it. you'll like this willco. pedestrian.

Willco

Hollywood Square
My real problem is that it is now feeling like a giant goose chase. They go to one place expecting to find the thing that will change/save their lives, but it is just another hint telling them to go to another place where this thing that will change/save their lives will really be. But they get there, fight more shadow-ops/mercs and find it's just - gasp! - another hint sending them somewhere else.

Plus, Jock isn't doing the art anymore as of last issue, just layout and the new artist has incorporated some manga bullshit. It fuckin' sucks.

nomoment

evil solrac v3.0 said:
drop she hulk and uncanny mono.
where's Y: the last man?
where's giotham central?
where's...... lots more tittles...
bendis' avengers is gonna be......wait for it. you'll like this willco. pedestrian.
Y-The Last Man is okay, I'm not crazy enough to buy it in singles. I sometimes buy it in trade if I have extra money. And Gotham Central is already on my list!

Like I said before She-Hulk = Marvel's Justice League International.

Plus, Jock isn't doing the art anymore as of last issue, just layout and the new artist has incorporated some manga bullshit. It fuckin' sucks.

I'm pretty sure Jock'll be back after this two issue arc. Dragotta is only the guest artist.

nomoment said:
I actually added The Losers based on the quality of the first trade. But see, here's the thing with Vertigo titles... an arc or two might suck here or there, but as a whole, it should be good. And plus, it seems like Diggle really knows what he's doing. I really hope Diggle doesn't go the way of the Azzarello, though, and just end up pussyfooting around the real conflict for like, 100 issues.

a bit more super heroing wont hurt you know.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I left Gotham Central off the list by accident. I read Y The Last Man in trades because I think it suits that title better. Bendis is never pedestrian. Unless he is writing about Venom.

nomoment said:
Y-The Last Man is okay, I'm not crazy enough to buy it in singles. I sometimes buy it in trade if I have extra money. And Gotham Central is already on my list!

Like I said before She-Hulk = Marvel's Justice League International.

I'm pretty sure Jock'll be back after this two issue arc. Dragotta is only the guest artist.

and i said before you're on drugs.
oughtta pick up more geoff johns books .....
edit: MY MESSAGE TOO SHORT? WHAT KIND OF CRAP...?

nomoment

evil solrac v3.0 said:
and i said before you're on drugs.
oughtta pick up more geoff johns books .....
edit: MY MESSAGE TOO SHORT? WHAT KIND OF CRAP...?
I will be one of the FIRST people in line to grab Geoff Johns' Green Lantern: Rebirth. Huzzah!

GL-Ethan.jpg

GLRB_Cv1.jpg

Willco

Hollywood Square
nomoment said:
I will be one of the FIRST people in line to grab Geoff Johns' Green Lantern: Rebirth. Huzzah!

GL-Ethan.jpg

GLRB_Cv1.jpg

That does look cool. Although, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Bowser

Let's see, here's my pull:

Marvel
Amazing Spider-Man
Astonishing X-Men
Daredevil
District X
Marvel Knights Spider-Man
Powers
Punisher
Ultimates
Ultimate Fantastic Four
Ultimate Spider-Man

DC
Ex Machina
Monolith
Flash
Sea Guy
Sleeper [Season Two]
Swamp Thing
Y: The Last Man

Dark Horse
Chosen
Conan

Wanted

Other
Abadazad
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Tales of the TMNT

I believe that's it. That's 23 titles. Chosen ends next issue, as does Seaguy. Wanted is over after the next two issues, and I don't think Abadazad will continue (sadly :(). Ultimates is on hiatus right now, and I'll be dropping Swamp Thing after Diggle's run is over. That leaves me with 17 ongoing titles.

i have a little question about green lantern: rebirth. if hal jordan hasnt stopped being the spectre( and is in fact, back as the spirit of vengeance of old) how's he gonna comeback to the land of the living and become THE/A green lantern?

Bowser

I am considering going to trades for District X or Ultimate Fantastic Four or another like title in order to make room for a title such as Gotham Central or Human Target. I have Gotham Central #1-#8 (from eBay), and I liked what I read. However, I feel like I'm going to be lost now that the title is in the 20somethings. I think I could get into Human Target much easier. Guys, help me make a decision. I might just get both.

My pull list...

Comics:
Conan
Superman/Batman ("Girl from Krypton" arc)
She-Hulk
Street Fighter (2 copies per month)

Manga:
Berserk (quarterly)
Blade of the Immortal (1 per year?)
Cannon God Exaxxion (1 per year?)
Battle Royale (bimonthly)
Battle Vixens (bimonthly)
GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka (bimonthly)
Vagabond (monthly)

I like having a "light" pull list, it helps to keep my options open in case a series looks interesting, or there's a single issue I've gotta have, or a book I used to like goes all sh*tty. For example, right now I'm buying Ultimate X-Men off the rack even though I took it off my pull list, because Brian K. Vaughn's doing a surprisingly swell job; but as soon as things turn sour, or an arc comes up I won't like (*cough* Gambit *cough*), I'm not saddled with buying a book I won't enjoy. I can just stop buying it off the rack.

Bowser

Spike Spiegel said:
I'm not saddled with buying a book I won't enjoy. I can just stop buying it off the rack.

If you don't like it, can't you just take it off your pull and put the issue(s) back on the rack? I can do that at my LCS...

nomoment

evil solrac v3.0 said:
i have a little question about green lantern: rebirth. if hal jordan hasnt stopped being the spectre( and is in fact, back as the spirit of vengeance of old) how's he gonna comeback to the land of the living and become THE/A green lantern?
Wait and see! Geoff Johns rarely reveals future storylines.

Bowser said:
I have Gotham Central #1-#8 (from eBay), and I liked what I read. However, I feel like I'm going to be lost now that the title is in the 20somethings. I think I could get into Human Target much easier. Guys, help me make a decision. I might just get both.
Gotham Central is pretty accessible, as long as you start at the beginning of an arc. I wouldn't be too worried about missing out on stuff, even if you start during issue twenty-something. However, I do like Human Target better, and think you should probably buy both titles. :)

Spike Spiegel said:
Not at the store I frequent. If you ordered it, you pay for it.
Bummer. At my shop, I get the option of putting whatever I don't want back on the shelf. If my shop did make you buy everything you ordered, I'd probably only have 5 titles on my pull.

MASB

Littleberu said:
It varies, but usually $35-45 a month. Occasionally TPB's and old back issues make that figure go up. I kind of wish this topic hadn't come up as it reminds me of what I spend on comics, which I probably should be spending/saving elsewhere. :p

This week:

MONOLITH #6
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #62

Maybe a few others

As for my pull list:

Green Arrow
Monolith
Conan
Donald Duck and Friends
Mickey Mouse and Friends
Uncle Scrooge
Walt Disney's Comics and Stories
Donald Duck Adventures(published every 2 months)
Ultimate Spiderman

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
nomoment said:
Probably around $50.

I spent $40 today, and $40 last Thursday. :( Still need to get USM Hardcover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom