• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMIC BOOK DAY! - 07/21/04 - Greatest Comic Book Day ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Why are you picking up DC Comics Presents?

EX MACHINA #2 (MR)
HUMAN TARGET #12 (MR)
SEAGUY #2 (Of 3)
SEAGUY #3 (Of 3)
DAREDEVIL #62

And I'll try to pick up some copies of Vaughn's Ultimate X-Men run while I'm at it. Huzzah.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #630
BATMAN GOTHAM KNIGHTS #55
BIRDS OF PREY #70
ROBIN #128
CABLE DEADPOOL #5
CAPTAIN MARVEL #25
NEW X-MEN #3
WEAPON X #26
WOLVERINE #17
X-MEN #159

DC Comics Presents has been kinda interesting. The Batman issue was pretty bad. Last week was a little better - the first story was absolute shit, but Grant Morrison's was good. I wonder how DC feels about GM using an Adam Strange story as a platform for embracing the romanticism of old-school superhero comics, and swiping at modern day grit, considering that they've just hired Andy Diggle to gritty up Adam Strange for a big relaunch of that book? Weird.

Also, comics are officially OK to read. I saw so in the newspaper! Actually, just one week after that big, semi-annoying NYT mag piece, both NYT Book Review and Washington Post Book World did big spreads on 'graphic novels' - the WP one had a very positive review of The Filth, which was good to see. Sometimes I worry that mainstream press is a little quick to shy away from anything that has a cape on it...

DC COMIC PRESENTS GREEN LANTERN #1
EX MACHINA #2
ROBIN #128
SEAGUY #3 (Of 3)
DAREDEVIL #62

Could somebody explain Sebastian O to me, briefly? Seriously, I'd never heard of it until this very moment.

PS - Blue Monday #2 comes out first week in August. I read that on the internet (not Oni's Website).

Seth C

FLASH #212
HUMAN TARGET #12
DAREDEVIL #62 (My last issue.)
EMMA FROST #13
LOKI #2 (Of 4)
SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN #17

That's it! When is the next issue of Para coming out? :/

Firest0rm

There's a ghostbusters comic!! :O I must get it! Does anyone know when the next issue of Transformers Gen 1 comes out?

Firest0rm said:
There's a ghostbusters comic!! :O I must get it! Does anyone know when the next issue of Transformers Gen 1 comes out?
2of4_Reg.jpg

The first issue wasn't bad at all.

nomoment

Willco said:
Why are you picking up DC Comics Presents?
They're fun, a throw-back to the Silver Age. Last week's Adam Strange was pretty good. The Batman issue (which I read in the store) was fun too.

I don't know if I'll get the GL issue for sure, but the cover sure looks great!

dcpresents-greenlantern.jpg

FnordChan

This week's haul:

Birds of Prey #70 - Here's to hoping the cult storyline doesn't get too goofy.

Ex Machina #2 - I finally got around to picking this up recently and it was terrific. Brian Vaughn, we love you!

Seaguy #3 - Third Reich 'N Roll!

Tom Strong's Terrific Tales #11 - Mmmm. Jonni Future.

Wonder Woman #206 - Oh shit, I forgot to drop this. Reckon I'll give the rest of the Medusa story arc a go.

Wolverine #17 - The Native arc has been pretty grand so far. Woo Rucka! Hurrah Robertson!

Dork Tower #28 - Ah, my bi-monthly fix of role-playing humor.

And there ya go. Also, I'm finally catching up on my manga backlog. To be precise, I'm catching up on my Osamu Tezuka backlog. Here's the short review:

Buddha Vol. 3 and 4 - Fucking amazing.

Phoenix Vol. 3 - Fucking amazing.

This leaves me with Phoenix Vol. 4, which promises to be...wait for it...fucking amazing.

FnordChan

Hmmm... One titillating martial arts manga, and (hopefully) two late-but-great manga. And unlike FnordChan, I didn't forget to ditch the calamity that is Wonder Woman; this series has officially graduated from "slow-paced" to "f*cking boooooring," and I'm sick of it. 'Course, it's easy to ditch a book when you've just been buying it off the rack.

7953.gif
[
13287.jpg
7283.gif

I may also give JLE (That's Justice League ELITE, not Europe) a go to support the Kelly/Mahnke duo, but ONLY for the first issue. This seems like more of a "wait for TPBs" kind of maxi-series, and I'm trying my best to avoid getting sucked into picking up another series.

lordmrw

100 BULLETS VOL 7 SAMURAI TP
EX MACHINA #2
FLASH #212
JUSTICE LEAGUE ELITE #1
KABUKI #1 (RES)
X-MEN #159
DEUS VITAE VOL 2 GN (Of 3)
NEWTYPE ENG VER AUG 2004
PC GAMER MAGAZINE W/CD-ROM SEP 2004

I'm mainly buying Deus Vitae for the artwork; god I'm such an art whore. Flash continues to be one of the top books I look forward to every week, and my friend would strangle me to death if I didn't buy Kabuki.

FnordChan

lordmrw said:
I'm mainly buying Deus Vitae for the artwork; god I'm such an art whore.

No need to apologize for buying Takuya Fujima manga strictly for the artwork; he can't write a coherant story to save his life, but, damn, the man can draw. I've decided that understanding the plot is entirely secondary in DV, so I'm sticking with the German editions a friend picked up for me. Meanwhile, you should track down some of his early doujinshi work as Essentia.

FnordChan

BuddyC

nomoment said:
Buddy, why aren't you reading Human Target?!
I picked up four or five issues of last year when you guys were all about it, I can't remember specific issue numbers though. It was the beginning of the relaunch to the end of the baseball player arc.

It wasn't bad, but it didn't feel like it was really going anywhere. I decided to take a wait and see approach to it. What I saw was, basically "Christopher Chance is dealt a huge problem, ends up saving the day and everyone learns a valuable lesson." How has it been lately?

Willco

Hollywood Square
Yeah, I was about to drop the title because it was basically like Quantam Leap, but instead of time traveling, he impersonated people. The problem was that the action and story might be cool, but you never cared about the character. Ever.

Milligan seems to have heard some of my complaints, so the most recent stuff actually focuses a bit more on Christopher Chance.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
ALL COMIC BOOK THREADS SHOULD HAVE THE COVER ARTS FOR THE COMIC YOUR SPEAKING OF. It's the only reason non comic bookers like these threads.

MASB

PREVIEWS VOL XIV #8
STRYKEFORCE #4 (Of 5)
MARY JANE #2
DONALD DUCK AND FRIENDS #318
MICKEY MOUSE AND FRIENDS #267
CATWOMAN THE MOVIE (Just kidding :p

And maybe a few others.

Bowser

EX MACHINA #2
FLASH #212
SEAGUY #3 (Of 3)
DAREDEVIL #62
TALES OF TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #4

Damn, copy/paste on an Apple takes forever...

nomoment

Eh, this week's Human Target was probably the weakest issue in the run, so far. The whole Mary White thing seems too poorly contrived for my tastes. However, this still doesn't change the fact that this issue was still pretty good.

And SeaGuy was crazy-fucked-up-crazy. After the first three pages, you could tell Morrison was going for vintage, crazy Morrison. He definitely wasn't lying when he said SeaGuy would be "heartbreaking."

As for Ex Machina, very good. I'm glad that BKV isn't going for a balls-out superhero approach. It's amazing how real, and grounded the title feels, despite the superhero, at least superficially, concept.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I only read Ex Machina, which is shaping up quite nicely.

My copy of Seaguy #2 is still not here, so I'm not going to read #3 until I get it.

nomoment

Willco said:
My copy of Seaguy #2 is still not here, so I'm not going to read #3 until I get it.

Comic of the year, fella. Comic of the year.

Anyways, here's the cover to Daredevil #66, posted by Alex Maleev at the Bendis boards:

Daredevil%2066%20NEW.jpg

BuddyC

Nomo is spot on about SeaGuy and Ex Machina. Here's hoping we get the two other stories Morrison has planned...

I used the slow week as an excuse to finish off my Invisibles collection, so I've been reading through those again. All I have to say, all I can really say is damn.

nomoment

Tritroid said:
...excuse me... *VOMIT*
I dig this new Venom more than the current toothy Mctootherson version we're so used to, now. Blame Erik Larsen for that.

Remember the days when Venom was actually creepy, and not just fucking ridiculous looking? This new Venom actually looks creepy.

sorry.. no Venom looks RIDICULOUS....

Go back to the original McFarlane version.... the terrifying alien version..

That though...ugh that doesnt look like a character that could go toe to toe with Juggernaut or any other big league super heavy.... just looks ... dumb... that's the best I can describe it

nomoment

jecclr2003 said:
That though...ugh that doesnt look like a character that could go toe to toe with Juggernaut or any other big league super heavy.... just looks ... dumb... that's the best I can describe it
Venom CAN'T go head to head Juggernaut (or least classic Juggs) anyway. He'd get his ass handed to him.

I wasn't really feeling this issue of Ex Machina.
In the last one, the political stuff was really well done - his opponents try to blackmail him and he comes back at them hard - threatening to stop a dude's pacemaker. In this one, we get this stale art gallery plot. And the mayor responds to this minor non-scandal by burying his head in his hands and complaining. Uh... what? BKV's character work is normally sharper than this (see Y). I'm still going to read the book, I just hope things shape up a bit.

DD was cool - Maleev was cutting loose with those big splash pages. Good stuff.

I'm done with DC Comics Presents. Seriously... what a squandered idea. Three issues so far, and only one good story. I kept waiting for Azzarello's story to have some kind of punch-line.... but.... NOTHING. Bah. Are comic writers so dominated by 'decompressed' storytelling that they can't write a decent twelve page story? Hey, maybe if they were able to write a sweeping twelve-issue story-arc where nothing happens for ten or eleven issues, they'd be able to fully convey their grand ideas about why the Green Lantern is selling power rings for a dollar.

Seaguy was great, of course. Cameron Stewart was really good on this book - I need to read whatever he does next. And Grant Morrison... We3. Can't wait for that one.

I read the latest issue of Robin, and I feel no shame for that.
I was sort of cracking up when Batman got all Donald Trump at the end. I just like the idea of a superhero sidekick getting fired. CLEAN OUT YOUR DESK, ROBIN - I'LL GET STARTED ON YOUR 401K PAPERWORK.

I checked out that free DC / Humanoids preview that was on the shelf... I Am Legion looks really cool. Must read, completely essential, and all that. Lots of nice art in that preview, but I really don't know where to start with these Humanoids books - anybody have a recommendation? I think the first batch just got released, but nothing on the shelf was really jumping out at me.

MASB

Chesapeake Silt said:
I'm done with DC Comics Presents. Seriously... what a squandered idea. Three issues so far, and only one good story. I kept waiting for Azzarello's story to have some kind of punch-line.... but.... NOTHING. Bah. Are comic writers so dominated by 'decompressed' storytelling that they can't write a decent twelve page story? Hey, maybe if they were able to write a sweeping twelve-issue story-arc where nothing happens for ten or eleven issues, they'd be able to fully convey their grand ideas about why the Green Lantern is selling power rings for a dollar.
This post is dead on. Really, I think most comic writers are so used to taking 4 or 6 or 12 issues to tell a story, that they've lost much of their ability to edit and 'tighten' their stories. Some of the stories are stringed out so long, you'd think the line would break. :p To go on a tangent for a second, Don Rosa (An American famous in Europe Uncle Scrooge writer/artist) said that he what he tells in his 24 page stories, it would take someone at DC/Marvel 6 issues/150 pages to tell. And if you've read any of Rosa's stories, you'd believe him.

I think the point was driven to me reading an issue of Ultimate Spiderman. It was during the Black Cat storyline, the issue where Elektra and Black Cat first fought. After reading that issue, I felt I was robbed of $2.25. :p NOTHING happened in the issue. It was fight, fight, little bit of dialogue, fight, fight, little bit of dialogue, the end. I was like, where did the story go? It was advanced hardly an inch. They could have easily cut that issue out of the arc, incorporate some of its elements to other issues and it wouldn't have been missed. Now I liked the Black Cat storyline overall, but that particular issue was just filler, plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom