• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic book sales in July 2016; 16 comics over 100K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comichron links:
Rebirth helps DC edge past Marvel in July 2016; Justice League tops charts in $50.5 million month.

Comic sales estimates. DC takes 30 places on the top 40 list.

Complete list.

Top 20:
  1. Justice League #1 209,187
  2. Justice League Rebirth #1 177,638
  3. Batman #2 177,105
  4. Civil War II #3 176,876
  5. Batman #3 168,939
  6. Nightwing Rebirth #1 127,846
  7. Civil War II #4 126,865
  8. New Super Man #1 117,684
  9. Nightwing #1 114,787
  10. Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps Rebirth #1 113,965
  11. Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #1 108,708
  12. Wonder Woman #2 103,759
  13. Flash #2 103,308
  14. Titans #1 102,433
  15. Superman #2 101,953
  16. Detective Comics #936 100,626
  17. Batgirl and the Birds of Prey Rebirth #1 99,151
  18. Superman #3 97,606
  19. Flash #3 97,334
  20. Batgirl #1 96,177

Next month's list will have two big heavy hitters in the form of All-Star Batman #1 and Harley Quinn #1...

bigkrev

Rebirth, double shipping, and the new 2.99 cover price have obviously been home runs for DC, but I'd be curious how these numbers look in September. Personally, I got fatigued buy all the content and have dropped every Rebirth book except Flash

I wonder if DC can manage to stay ahead of Marvel longer than they did after the New 52 launch. Now that Star Wars has joined Marvel it's going to be even more difficult. They'll definitey win again next month but who knows after that.

Anyway, I wish we had more info about digital sales, I buy almost everything on Comixology these days and I'd love to see the numbers. Even if the digital share of the market is small, with sales figures like these, it looks like the american comic market is in a better place now than it's been in a while.

Unreal. Only a few years ago there was maybe 1 title over 100k a month, everyone thought the internet had doomed the industry. Movies have saved it.

Sure feels like the late 80s/early 90s in here.

I mean, we've already got multiple Batman and Spider-Man books. Only thing we're missing are the twice monthly books and more X-Men than you know what to do with. I guess we have the glut of variants now. Gotta chase that 1:50 or that Scottie Young variant. *rolls eyes*

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is this good? I mean it sounds good but I've never been a big follower of comic book sales.

kmfdmpig

Sure feels like the late 80s/early 90s in here.

I mean, we've already got multiple Batman and Spider-Man books. Only thing we're missing are the twice monthly books and more X-Men than you know what to do with. I guess we have the glut of variants now. Gotta chase that 1:50 or that Scottie Young variant. *rolls eyes*
Batman had had multiple books since 1940.
Spiderman had had multiple books since the early 70s.
Rebirth had several books that are published twice a month.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
My buys for the month......

• 32 Walking Dead 156 $2.99 Image 76,355
  • 69 Paper Girls 7 $2.99 Image 35,392
  • 98 I Hate Fairyland 7 $3.50 Image 23,742
  • 106 Tokyo Ghost 8 $3.99 Image 21,688
  • 134 East of West 28 $3.99 Image 17,019
  • 139 Wicked & Divine 21 $3.50 Image 16,283
  • 153 Horizon 1 $2.99 Image 15,175
  • 172 Black Science 22 $3.99 Image 12,829
  • 174 Lazarus 23 $3.99 Image 12,300
  • 176 Hunt 1 $3.99 Image 12,166
  • 185 Fix 4 $3.99 Image 11,115
  • 205 Autumnlands 12 $2.99 Image 8,972
  • 208 Manifest Destiny 21 $2.99 Image 8,763
  • 215 Chew 56 $3.99 Image 8,469
  • 221 Birthright 17 $2.99 Image 8,264
  • 227 Nailbiter 23 $2.99 Image 7,938
  • 239 Black Road 4 $3.99 Image 7,292
  • 263 Rumble 12 $3.50 Image 5,857
  • 266 Spread 14 $3.99 Image 5,783
  • 276 Switch 4 $3.99 Image 5,568
  • 281 Revival 41 $3.99 Image 5,527

Manifest Destiny, Birthright, and Rumble deserve much better.

Ive been busy lately, I basically catch up on comics all at once every 2-3 months. Whenever I come back I find it overwhelming trying to figure out what I missed, what I should check out, where I left off.
Was I reading Action Comics or was it Superman or both? Was I reading Batman or was it Detective? Of the 45 spider-man spinoffs, which ones was I reading? Where the hell did I even put my older comics to find out?

I need some sort of site or program that automatically updates its database with newly released comics, lets me choose the ones I'm following and lets me check a box after I have read an issue. Does that exist?

Edit: http://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/ seems to be pretty good for this. Going to try it out.

Batman had had multiple books since 1940.
Spiderman had had multiple books since the early 70s.
Rebirth had several books that are published twice a month.

Right, but Detective Comics and Batman are the only concurrent Batman books that have always run. If you look at things right now, you have...
Batman
Detective Comics
Batman/Superman
DKIII
All-Star Batman
Batman '66
Batman Beyond

And that's not including the other books he's in like Trinity and Justice League.

Now, Spider-Man has always had multiple books, that true. That one is my misstep as Marvel isn't stretching him out quite as thinly as they used to. In fact, I think Spider-Man proper is only in two books at the moment, which might be an all-time low since Copper Age.

kmfdmpig

Right, but Detective Comics and Batman are the only concurrent Batman books that have always run. If you look at things right now, you have...
Batman
Detective Comics
Batman/Superman
DKIII
All-Star Batman
Batman '66
Batman Beyond

And that's not including the other books he's in like Trinity and Justice League.

Now, Spider-Man has always had multiple books, that true. That one is my misstep as Marvel isn't stretching him out quite as thinly as they used to. In fact, I think Spider-Man proper is only in two books at the moment, which might be an all-time low since Copper Age.

DK3 is basically a limited series set to end. Batman Beyond is different enough to not really count as a Batman book.

Batman/Superman ended, I think.
Batman 66 is fairly niche and separate.

Still your point that a lot of the focus in DC is Batman or spinoffs is valid. It has been that way for about 25 years with titles like legends of the dark knight, shadow of the bat, Gotham knights, etc. .

DeathyBoy

Banned
Unreal. Only a few years ago there was maybe 1 title over 100k a month, everyone thought the internet had doomed the industry. Movies have saved it.

Should've done ongoing film tie in comics.

Just think of the terrible post Thor 2 comics with Thor suspecting foul play every month in Asgard and ignoring it so he could compete with Chris O'Dowd for Jane's crooked Aether

Same here. I know most Marvel books are $3.99 nowadays.

I gladly pay $4 for The Vision's art:

Vision_Vol_3_7.jpg

But for sure, the digital subscriptions are a much better value even with the delays in reading.

Big events, Number 1s?

Oh ok

Yeah basically. But, at the same time seeing so many break 100k is a good sign for comics. Let's just see how they stay up there.

Not seeing Ultimates or BP up there is a sin, but I don't think they've had a release this month yet?

Cetra

Rebirth, double shipping, and the new 2.99 cover price have obviously been home runs for DC, but I'd be curious how these numbers look in September. Personally, I got fatigued buy all the content and have dropped every Rebirth book except Flash

Basically the same. It started great but 4-5 issues in now I feel a lot of these books are going nowhere interesting. The only one I still read is Superman 'cause Tomasi and Gleason fucking rule.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Civil War II has been such shit.

Definitely one of the worse things I've seen in ages.

I usually don't jump ship on events once I've started them but I could not stand Civil War II.

Neither does The Flash. Or Batman, honestly. Most of the DC Rebirth stuff has been a trainwreck.

No. Public reception to Rebirth has been overwhelmingly positive compared to New 52 which divided the DC fanbase. The quality is there, it's just down to your own personal taste at this point.

Oscar

My pulls this month:

- All Star Batman
- Kill or Be Killed
- The Black Monday Murders.

Snyder/Hickman/Brubaker trinity is all I need to get my comic fix.

I've always wanted to get into Conan but the staggering amount of back content always stops me. How's Conan the Slayer? Decent entry point?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
A bit off-topic, but how much do you guys and gals think digital comics should cost?

I'm fine with them costing the same as regular books because they save me a ton of time, money, and a couple thousand miles a year on my car. I'm paying for the convenience of rolling out of bed each Wednesday morning and having my books ready to DL to my iPad.

bengraven

Maybe someday local grocery and drug stores and gas stations will actually carry them again like when I and my parents and their parents were kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom