• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

ENXWb83.jpg

Another month, another superhero movie. We still got tons of comics though!
SgbIrjD.png

WR52srK.jpg

Black Panther #1 by Ta-Nehisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze (Apr. 6th) - "A Nation Under Our Feet" is a story about dramatic upheaval in Wakanda and the Black Panther's struggle to do right by his people as their ruler. He's also in a movie this month!
Gwenpool #1 by Christopher Hastings, Gurihiru, Danillo Beyruth (Apr. 13th) - Gwen Poole used to be a comic book reader just like you...until she woke up in a world where the characters she read about seemed to be real! But they can't be, right?
Moon Knight #1 by Jeff "Real Hawkeye" Lemire and Greg Smallwood (Apr. 13th) - Marc Spector (a.k.a. Moon Knight/Jake Lockley/Steven Grant) has been fighting criminals and keeping New York City safe for years... or has he? When he wakes up in an insane asylum with no powers and a lifetime's worth of medical records, his whole identity (indentities) are called into question.

qaugsEU.png

DasW1JS.jpg

Justice League #50* by Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok (May. 25th) - Don't miss the final fates of the world's greatest heroes and villains, along with world-changing revelations for Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. It doesn't get bigger than this as DC's monthly super hero event comic sets the stage for the next year and beyond!
Wonder Woman: Earth One Vol. 1 by Grant Morrison and Yanick Paquette (Apr. 12th) - Encompassing the vision of her original creator, William Moulton Marston, Morrison presents a Diana who yearns to break free from her mother and the utopian society on Paradise Island to learn about the forbidden outside world. Her dreams may come true when Air Force pilot Steve Trevor crashes on their shores, and she must defy the laws of the Amazons to return him to Man’s World. Is she ready for the culture shock that awaits her in America? And is the world ready for this Wonder Woman?
Bloodlines #1 by J.T. Krul (IN 2016) and V Kenneth Marion (Apr. 6th) - When a meteor crashes to Earth, bringing with it an unspeakable alien presence that terrorizes a nearby small town, the lucky ones die first. As for the rest, they find themselves locked in a hellish struggle for control of their bodies and their minds. This isn't just an invasion. It's an infestation.

*I made the banner before looking at the date.... Pretend it's Batman or something. My bad guys

Pj1YPNh.png

ckpTH6v.jpg

The Fix #1 by Nick Spencer and Smilin' Steve Lieber (Apr. 6th) - A story of the crooked cops, scheming mobsters, and corrupt politicians that run things--and the sex toy that can bring them all down. Oh, and the hero is a drug-sniffing beagle named Pretzels.
Criminal 10th Anniversary Special Edition by Ed Brubaker, Sean Phillips, and Elizabeth Breitweiser (Apr. 13th) - Teeg and Tracy Lawless co-star in this one-shot, a twisted 70s noir about a father and son on the run. Also includes articles, illustrations, and behind-the-scenes extras.
Grizzly Shark #1 by Ryan Ottley and Ivan Plascencia (Apr. 6th) - The sold out, cult hit black-and-white issue is back, now in full color! Followed by all-new issues that continue the bloody adventures of the world's most feared animal, the Grizzly Shark!

KXpsLLu.png

8Ksslbw.jpg

Dept. H #1 by Matt and Sharlene Kindt (Apr. 20th) - Mia is a special investigator hired to uncover possible sabotage taking place at a deep-sea research station. What she finds is a mind-blowing crime scene filled with suspects with terrible secrets, strange deep-sea creatures, and an impending flood!
Baltimore: Empty Graves #1 by Mike Mignola, Christopher Golden, and Peter Bergting (Apr. 6th) - With no bodies to bury, Baltimore lays to rest the memories of good friends, while the strange worshipers of the Red King make use of the corpses of his fallen allies.
House of Penance #1 by Peter Tomasi and Iam Bertram (Apr. 13th) - The Winchester House—famous for its original owner’s bizarre compulsion to incorporate a multitude of architectural curiosities. But as the bereaved Sarah Winchester’s workers toil on stairways to nothing and doors to nowhere, a mysterious stranger arrives . . . and he could make Sarah’s demons all too real.

7XkluQw.png

mT6LzE1.jpg

X-Files #1 by Joe Harris and Mattew Don Smith (Apr. 27th) - X-Files is the new meme again. Read the comic that continues the adventures of Mulder and Scully!
Micronauts #1* by Cullen Bunn and David Baldeon (May 4th) - THEY CAME FROM A DYING UNIVERSE! ACROYEAR, SPACE GLIDER, BIOTRON and their allies are back, on the run from the evil BARON KARZA, and blasting through a universe where magic and science vie for control! With resources dwindling, the long-lost TIME TRAVELERS may hold the key to salvation... but will it mean armageddon for our world?
Hot Damn #1 by Ryan Ferrier and Valentin Ramon (Apr. 13th) - Hard living catches up to Teddy, and eternal damnation awaits-but it's nothing like the good book tells you. Hell is a therapy session you can never leave...

*I fucked up again... pretend it's TMNT or Transformers

e1ZbXE9.png

1UnjB4O.jpg

Divinity II #1 by Matt Kindt and Trevor Hairsine (Apr. 20th) - Earth is about to meet a new god. And she’s a Communist. How long can it be before the nations of Earth bend before DIVINITY?
Megg & Mogg In Amsterdam and Other Stories by Simon Hanselmann (Apr. 18th) - Megg, Mogg, and their friends are back! They decide to take a trip to Amsterdam but forget their antidepressants! Tyrant Rave pick of the month!
Goldie Vance #1 by Hope Larson and Brittney Williams (Apr. 13th) - 16-year-old Marigold “Goldie” Vance lives at a Florida resort with her dad, who manages the place. Her mom, who divorced her dad years ago, works as a live mermaid at a club downtown. Goldie has an insatiable curiosity, which explains her dream to one day become the hotel’s in-house detective.

G159DJG.png

New to comics? Check out Zombine's Start Up Guide!
Help support my name is ed! His comic Rage Against the Jackal is available digitally on Comixology!
Also keep an eye out for Bish's upcoming comic Savage Empire featuring art by Jim Roy Jimenez!

Members in ComicsGAF are expected to follow the NeoGAF TOS just like everyone else. I know it can be hard, but try and be excellent to your fellow members guys.
On SPOILERS. Use common sense and please, mark your spoilers! If you must post a spoilery panel or a page from a comic (recent or otherwise), please link to them with a proper spoiler warning. DON'T be that person.

For fun last month, I asked what everyone's favorite comics were, here's what we chose:
ViewtifulJC
my name is ed
Tyrant Rave
BKatastrophe
frye
PsychBat!
tim
LaunchpadMcQ
KoruptData
whatsinaname
VanWrinkle
Brian Fellows
Tizoc's santa list
sillymonkey321
TetraxShards
Not satisfied with a single list, tim posted another
Korupt too
Creamium also shared his favorites this month

ez0dxqA.jpg

New thread crept up on me.

Really looking forward to JL, feels like it's been a while since the last one.

Fresh OT smell.

I'm about done with issue #4, where Bruce is talking to Dick about his childhood. Not very far in.

Keep us posted, you'll know the thing I mean when you get to it.

Does Spike have no interest in doing OTs anymore or is he out of touch with modern ComicGAF sensibilities? Has ComicGAF evolved?

Does Spike have no interest in doing OTs anymore or is he out of touch with modern ComicGAF sensibilities? Has ComicGAF evolved?

"There was a time above, a time before. There were perfect things, diamond absolutes. But things fall. And what falls, is fallen."

Spike represents something something I'm tired and I love that quote.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You didnt ask me what my favorite comic was ;_;

Mitch

Banned
Didn't think it'd be so close! I'll read this issue and get to bed. Tomorrow is pay day, so I can continue reading more while I wait for my copy of Saga to arrive.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Sorry bro, I remembered you being more down on it and I thought Echo was looking to get an overall impression. My bad!
Because it to was the review thread and everyone was posting funny things. I really liked the first half and the second fell appart and was awful. And the movie just have big issues with its logic and at some point you just start to think about stuff why supes just not flys over the river and looks for crime in gotham.

I dont even read the ordinary threads beside the spoiler one becaue the hate started to bore me.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

He's the only one I really remember from the old comic threads from the last time I was into comics (02-05). So it's possible he's a bit burnt out.

Mitch

Banned
Didn't think it'd be so close! I'll read this issue and get to bed. Tomorrow is pay day, so I can continue reading more while I wait for my copy of Saga to arrive.
Bruce's descent into madness gave off this extremely creepy vibe.

This page in particular is going to give me nightmares:

6WDTs4G.jpg

Bruce's descent into madness gave off this extremely creepy vibe.

This page in particular is going to give me nightmares:

6WDTs4G.jpg

I'd just started reading comics when I first read that stuff... totally altered my expectations of what I could expect from a comic. Before that it was mostly promotional tie-in stuff, basically trash.

Mitch

Banned
I'd just started reading comics when I first read that stuff... totally altered my expectations of what I could expect from a comic. Before that it was mostly promotional tie-in stuff, basically trash.
I picked up the hobby right when New 52 started. I even have the first two issues of this in my collection, but I just couldn't keep myself interested.

I stuck with Batwoman and Animal Man for 7-9 issues, though.

I picked up the hobby right when New 52 started. I even have the first two issues of this in my collection, but I just couldn't keep myself interested.

I used to read comics when I was a kid, but didn't get back into them until 2007 when I bought the Planet Hulk hardcover. Still one of my favorite modern comics.

Good ass job, Tyrant.

Funny enough I just read Court of Owls today.

Pretty damn solid book. I think it was a little overcooked in places and I dont really rate the art as highly as others do but it was very enjoyable.

Havent been overexposed to Snyders writing so i didny mind the anecdotes about Bruces dad or the info dumps.

mreddie

Olivia Wilde Banner?

MESSSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

What Happened to the The Thread With No Name?

frye

JT Krul ever being a big deal at DC is one of the weirder things that have happened to American comics in the last 10 years

also v glad to see the Kindts join the pantheon of artist/colourist power couples even though he's super boring on everything he does

i'm gonna buy that Bloodlines comic even though i know it's mostly likely gonna be hot trash. i'm just really curious as to why any of it is even happening at all. Did JT Krul find more dirt on Didio? Did they just have a really, really, compelling pitch for a Bloodlines series in 2016? I have to know!
What else did you get?

First two complete collections of Punisher Max, and first volume of Gotham Academy.

ElNarez

Banned
man when's that new Punisher comic coming out?

I love the Punisher, the Punisher is dope, I'm a big the Punisher fan

I've never realized I wanted a Black Panther/Moon Knight vs/team up series until I saw those covers right next to each other. Bast vs Khonshu, marvel needs to get on this.

Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
My buys for April and my 3 favorite covers.........

THE AUTUMNLANDS #12
BLACK ROAD #1
CHEW: DEMON CHICKEN POYO #1
CRY HAVOC #4
DEADLY CLASS #21
EAST OF WEST #25
INJECTION #9
LAZARUS SOURCEBOOK #1
MIRROR #3
MONSTRESS #5
RAT QUEENS #16
REVIVAL #39
SAGA #36
SHUTTER #20
SWITCH #?
TOKYO GHOST #6
THE WALKING DEAD #153
THE WICKED + THE DIVINE #18

I'm up from 14 books last month to 18 this month. March was by far my slowest month to date.

Cool to have Rucka's Elektra run in digital form now. The art was rough but I did like his take on the character.

I'm now debating picking up the entire Peanuts run on CMX. I got the first 3 in physical form but then trailed off when they were coming out back in the day. 24 volumes, hm....

Top Bottom