• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'm a rocker, dude through and through. Here's my favorite bands: AC/DC, Van Halen, not Van Hagar, Skynyrd, Def Lep.

Zombine

Banned
I'm going to read comics today.

April Fools

Edit:

Hey thanks for throwing in the startup guide, Tyrant. You inspired me to go through and completely overhaul the lists. With summer movie season coming up soon we're going to have another round of "what's a good comic book with Jared Leto" threads.

dan2026

Why would you need to wash the taste of an amazing movie away? :)

Amazingly that movie managed to be both far too long and far too short.
Incredibly boring while at the same time full of action.
Not to mention it turned Batman into a murderous psychotic and Lex Luthor into an obnoxious petulant child.

Truly a remarkable effort.

I hate that the movie sucked because Wonder Woman was so good in it. In the end fight she is the only one in the entire movie that has a different expression than complete downer. She actually seems to enjoy the fight.

Yup, I've been getting a list together of some good Batman related comics. Starting with N52 Batman, since Superheavy ended and Bruce is returning.

;)

I wanted to check out more than Batman so I just decided to jump on at DC You. I've really liked most of what I've been reading. The only things I've really been down on is Batman and Robin Eternal and Green Lantern. I really wanted a good book with all the Robins so I was excited to read Eternal but maaaaan the writing is pretty terrible most of the time. Green Lantern starts pretty good, but the first arc seemed kind of anti-climactic and sudden and I had hoped it would have lead more into the Corps book but hasn't so far.

Mitch

Banned
Amazingly that movie managed to be both far too long and far too short.
Incredibly boring while at the same time full of action.
Not to mention it turned Batman into a murderous psychotic and Lex Luthor into an obnoxious petulant child.

Truly a remarkable effort.
The amount of people he killed during that chase scene...

The true Murder Man.

I wanted to check out more than Batman so I just decided to jump on at DC You. I've really liked most of what I've been reading. The only things I've really been down on is Batman and Robin Eternal and Green Lantern. I really wanted a good book with all the Robins so I was excited to read Eternal but maaaaan the writing is pretty terrible most of the time. Green Lantern starts pretty good, but the first arc seemed kind of anti-climactic and sudden and I had hoped it would have lead more into the Corps book but hasn't so far.
When the New 52 started, I kept up with the Lantern books. I had trouble staying interested, so shelved the last few for another time. Same goes for The Flash.

dan2026

The true Murder Man.

When the New 52 started, I kept up with the Lantern books. I had trouble staying interested, so shelved the last few for another time. Same goes for The Flash.

He was literally running people over with the Batmobile!
My eyes were popping out of my head.

I couldn't believe how much I hated that movie. The whole thing just felt wrong to me.

The true Murder Man.

I'm excited about The Flash in rebirth, the details they shared about it had me kind of excited. Also the name Godspeed for a speedster villain just seems too damn good.

I couldn't believe how much I hated that movie. The whole thing just felt wrong to me.

When he took off the top half of the trucks trailer you can clearly see that one dude is going to lose his damn head. But when they go back to another camera angle he's still there. Luckily the tracker stayed on the truck too!

Mitch

Banned

When he hooked the car with those guys in it, I couldn't help but laugh.

I'm excited about The Flash in rebirth, the details they shared about it had me kind of excited. Also the name Godspeed for a speedster villain just seems too damn good.
Rebirth is looking great. This is another entry point for me, since I can start fresh and not worry about being lost.

dan2026

When he hooked the car with those guys in it, I couldn't help but laugh.

Rebirth is looking great. This is another entry point for me, since I can start fresh and not worry about being lost.
I was like 'Batman please stop killing people please stop please, oh God that guy is pancake now'.

Ironically though that awful movie is pushing me back to DC comics.
Working as intended?

Really looking forward to some of the Rebirth comics.

Mitch

Banned
Definitely working as intended. My mind was racing with the urge to get back to comics for the remainder of the day. It's like a spark ignited and my interest is at its highest. While I can't afford to indulge completely, I think I'll be able to buy comics pretty frequently.

I was like 'Batman please stop killing people please stop please, oh God that guy is pancake now'.

Ironically though that awful movie is pushing me back to DC comics.
Working as intended?

Really looking forward to some of the Rebirth comics.
Guess so, I went out and bought Morrison's JLA after seeing that movie and am damn excited for Rebirth.

Its finally Black Panther month! And Civil War month!

Hickman definitely doing a legion book, talking bout Superboy.

Picked up vol.4-8 of Snyder's Batman, Nameless hardcover and the first 4 JLA in paperback. Gunna save up for those delicious hardcover versions.

Moon Knight sounds real interesting, not usually a fan of the character but I might get that along with Black Panther

I read vol 1 of Ostranders Suicide Squad the other day. Nothing in this particular arc wowed me but it did have a lot of interesting characters. June Moon/Enchantress was my favorite. The Enchantress part of the character was mentally horrifying. Nothing about her was a visual horror but she kinda reminded me of a walking/talking version of the little girl in The Exorcist. Like I said though, no story beats wowed me but the character development was strong enough to keep me going and read the next volume.

Mitch

Banned
Batman (New 52) #1-11: The Court of Owls

All of these issues gave me a sense of unease. Like I was watching a really tense thriller. The mystery surrounding the Court and Bruce's resolve to figure out who they were kept me going non stop.

Seeing Batman's character falter added a worrisome tone to the plot. You know he'll make it out in the end, but when you're reading it, it still seems uncertain.

I really enjoyed the background story throughout the arc. About Alfred's father,
Bruce's lost brother and the possibility of Lincoln March being Thomas Wayne.
All of this was bolstered by excellent writing. All of Bruce's inner thoughts were really well done. The fantastic dialogue between Bruce, Alfred, Dick and the other characters is something I hope to see continue.

Since my copy of Saga vol. 1 is arriving today, I may hold off on reading more. I'd like to get a few TPs of this as well, instead of going all digital.

Boogiepop

Finished the third Walking Dead compendium, so I reenter the long hibernation of compendium waiting on that title, at least assuming it makes it to a fourth one. And before anything else, I have to ask: the hell is with Kirkman having Michonne LITERALLY hook up/try to hook up with EVERY black guy and nobody else in the series? Like, sure you can call it fair enough the first time the only two black characters in the cast hook up. It's a bit dicey like the author is kind of pairing them off, but the cast is small enough that you can write it off. Even if
it's extra dicey because Michonne immediately breaks Tyreese out of a relationship with a white woman the second she appears, like she's putting a stop to that whole black/white relationship thing
. But that's fine, it's fair enough. But then it happens AGAIN the second time a black man shows up, right away. And then she tries to hit on ANOTHER black guy the second he enters the plot pretty much, though he at least turns her down. And then she ends up with the next available black guy RIGHT AWAY AGAIN. It's like, really? It just feels bizarre and like Kirkman is like "Michonne must be with ALL the black guys that show up! All of them!" and feels super awkward.

With that rant out of the way, I come away with a lot of the same feels I had at the start, in that it's kind of interesting in spite of it self. IE it still feels kind of poorly written (the "that makes sense" still happens a ton and is a weird quirk of the writing), but I still kind of want to keep reading. At this point I'm mainly invested in the fact that it's gone well past most zombie fiction in terms of
actually showing a rebuilding of society with people getting used to things
, so I think if the
current society does indeed completely fall before the whisper army and internal issues like Rick being a dick and all the other stuff, at least before the end of the series
then I may be out, as that's mostly what's keeping me interested at this point.

Also, REALLY hate the cliffhanger it ends on, with the
heads on the spikes
. Just...
it feels cheap. Almost all of the characters are minor, so it's more quantity over quality. And then they have to go with the "haha, you thought it was Michonne, but it's actually Ezekial" thing. Plus the whole logistics off it feel odd. Like, she just casually strolled in with nobody noticing, then lured people out and killed them one by one, again nobody noticing? I GUESS it could happen, but it feels far fetched. It just really doesn't feel earned. Plus the whisperer people would probably be more interesting an "antagonist" if Kirkman didn't feel the need to do both this, plus playing up the whole rape thing, which just seems like it wants to drive in the whole "they're different, but also really terrible so please hate them" idea. Like, they're different enough without all that that you could still have conflict and make it feel a little more nuanced than "nope, they're evil".
Bleh.

How far behind am I now, btw, anyway?

Boogiepop

Compendium 3 ends at issue 144. Issue 153 comes out next week. Just buy the floppies and finish up.

Nah, unless it's confirmed as ending any time soon I'm in the long waiting haul. So I guess it's both cool to hear I'm not TOO far behind, but also kind of sad as it means I'm in for a long wait. Has there been any talk of ending it, btw? It doesn't feel like it has much left in it, bar nuking it and starting fresh by
having the communities fall apart and everyone get cast back into the wild essentially
, most likely needing to take the
kill Rick off and make Carl protagonist
option that I've always considered a possibility.

Ah, that new thread smell.

Read the Villains United mini last night. Secret Six is probably my favourite DC book ever, but I'd never read the very beginning. Really great stuff, but par for the course with this run. I picked up a hardcover of Infinite Crisis from that DC collection in newsagents (the Crisises don't have numbered entries in the collection, so they're nice to buy as one-offs) so I might read that next. Haven't read it since it came out, it's 10 years old, where did that time go?

Boogiepop

Nah, unless it's confirmed as ending any time soon I'm in the long waiting haul. So I guess it's both cool to hear I'm not TOO far behind, but also kind of sad as it means I'm in for a long wait. Has there been any talk of ending it, btw? It doesn't feel like it has much left in it, bar nuking it and starting fresh by
having the communities fall apart and everyone get cast back into the wild essentially
, most likely needing to take the
kill Rick off and make Carl protagonist
option that I've always considered a possibility.

Gah, there's a Walking Dead sale on Comixology that would make "catching up" a little cheaper, and maaaaaaybe I could justify it as a digital title. I don't know, I'll think on it I guess. Anyone know how long that would last for, that sale?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Gah, there's a Walking Dead sale on Comixology that would make "catching up" a little cheaper, and maaaaaaybe I could justify it as a digital title. I don't know, I'll think on it I guess. Anyone know how long that would last for, that sale?

Ends on Monday.

Top Bottom