• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Sandfox

Nighthawk is miles ahead of Hyperion, then again, both are DC expys

Problem is what happened with Starbrand and some other books from ANAD/NOW 2.0, some people don't have a big name strong enough to have a solo these days. Especially in this era of Hollywoo Comics.

Marvel has a lot of space for titles so they just they just experiment with what are essentially limited series.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh that reminds me I liked the first issue of Starbrand, I think there's a couple more on MU now

All-New All-Different Avengers Annual #1
Quite possibly one of the most adorable things I've ever read. Reminded me of Secret Love. Was that
Sinestro in the She-Hulk story?

Black Panther #5
Ballin'. Finally seeing how Wakanda plays on the world's court. One thing that bugs me:
How the fuck does Genosha have any governmental body whatsoever?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Daredevil #1-3 - hmmm. Not sure how I feel about this. Its not particularly good, but its also not the unreadable garbage fire some people around here described it as lol. I like the art (or the colorist im not sure, I like the look at least), and im actually kinda interested in the story as if issue 3 with tenfingers going to Matt for legal aid claiming he's not a villain, I would like it if it actually went in a "we are actually just forming a creepy church here, we dont want to conquer the world" direction (but im sure it wont and hes just another villain as usual), but having said that, the whole thing feels... heartless? Its very self serious and is what I imagine someone in a meeting said a "book for people that watch that netflix show". Its not terrible, but it pales in comparison to the previous run, and lets just say its not something I would read of it wasnt on MU.

Sandfox

Daredevil #1-3 - hmmm. Not sure how I feel about this. Its not particularly good, but its also not the unreadable garbage fire some people around here described it as lol. I like the art (or the colorist im not sure, I like the look at least), and im actually kinda interested in the story as if issue 3 with tenfingers going to Matt for legal aid claiming he's not a villain, I would like it if it actually went in a "we are actually just forming a creepy church here, we dont want to conquer the world" direction (but im sure it wont and hes just another villain as usual), but having said that, the whole thing feels... heartless? Its very self serious and is what I imagine someone in a meeting said a "book for people that watch that netflix show". Its not terrible, but it pales in comparison to the previous run, and lets just say its not something I would read of it wasnt on MU.

I haven't been reading Daredevil, but from what I've heard it gets better.

Rhaknar

I haven't been reading Daredevil, but from what I've heard it gets better.

Hmm... I mean, one one hand how can it not, on the other, I dont see much in the whole premise of the book for improvement, hopefully youre right tho, Ill still read it.

Also I forgot to say but I dont give 2 shits about Blindspot. Should have been Gambit, at least that would have been out of left field.

Sandfox

I just looked and Carol only out sales it by 7k-10k in any given month.
That's a big difference for books at that level and you have to take into consideration that Nighthawk was putting up low sales from the beginning. I'm sure a lot of the Carol fans read digital as well given the fan base.

TheFlow

Banned
I feel like I should read carols main book before I say I dislike her character but what if I read her issues and then still dislike her? #cantwastemoney lol

all I know is that after reading 8 issues of the ultimate she is the worse on the team by far.

Slayven

I feel like I should read carols main book before I say I dislike her character but what if I read her issues and then still dislike her? #cantwastemoney lol

all I know is that after reading 8 issues of the ultimate she is the worse on the team by far.

I feel like Black Panther lost a bet with Sam. Sam got D-Man and BP got Carol.

Sam stay winning

Hagi

I'm not biased like Slay but she really isn't any different no matter what book she's in. She really needs someone to just write the shit out of her character but nobody has succeeded so far. Maybe with the movie she'll get something substantial the comics can steal.

Slayven

I'm not biased like Slay but she really isn't any different no matter what book she's in. She really needs someone to just write the shit out of her character but nobody has succeeded so far. Maybe with the movie she'll get something substantial the comics can steal.

She give her to Chuck Austen

Sandfox

I've said this before, but she needs someone to be the PAD to her Supergirl.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Oops, just noticed that I got an invitation from Owsers to play Overwatch quite a while ago. That's my bad.

I also submitted a request to join to the ComicsGaf community, if someone still checks that.

BK, did you finish Kingdom Come? What did you think?
Fantastic. I absolutely loved it. Two major things: Alex Ross does a fantastic job of portraying even the most street level hero as a god, and I love that the story not only deals with the political implications of a rising metahuman population. Not only that, but the main thing I love is that it deals with what happens when heroes are so focused on fighting villains that they forget why they bothered to be heroes. It's just gang wars. This whole thing is embodied with Billy, who is a complete tool. He forgets how to actually be human and think for himself, becoming nothing except for a superpowered weapon to be used. Pretty much telling everypne who thinks the Punisher is a superhero to go fuck themselves.

Fantastic story. Can't get over it. One of my favorite books.

Rhaknar

BK doesnt like me anymore, Sandfox is now my favorite comic gaffer

Malyse

Was everyone aware of the League of Comic Geeks? Basically goodreads for comics with an app that will give notifications on Wednesdays.

Sandfox

Comixology is having an X-Men sale with the recent Storm, Magneto, and the all female X-Men series on sale.

I read a few issues of Spidey via MU and now I need to pick up the first trade as well as start reading the book monthly. The quips are meh, but I like everything else about the book, and Thompson makes strong use of monologues to capture the essence of Peter Parker. While I enjoy Slott's current volume for the most part, I feel like this scratches itches that one doesn't with things like Peter's social life.

Yay!

Rhaknar

Invincible Iron Man #6 - thankfully, unlike Amazing Spidey, this one continues to be great. Part one of War Machines sees Rhodey go to Japan to track down Madam Masque while Tony is busy in the states boning his new girlfriend and being stalked by Doom. I cant get enough of this Ddom / Tony banter, I really cant. I wonder if Tony is going to be in the Iron Doom book, like in a "ok you wanted to be a good guy, prove it" mentor capacity? Or is Tony dying in CW2 and thats why all the Iron Men after arent him?

Weirdworld #2-3 - what a strange and wonderful book. Del Mundo continues to work his wonderful magic, and I like what Humphrie is doing with the odd pair (even if its still weird that the guy from the SW series is nowhere to be found). Morgan Le Fay seems to have a less than villanous reason for her dealings this time around too. Will miss this one, hopefully it at least got a satisfying conclusion. Del Mundo tho... my god.

VanWinkle

Fantastic. I absolutely loved it. Two major things: Alex Ross does a fantastic job of portraying even the most street level hero as a god, and I love that the story not only deals with the political implications of a rising metahuman population. Not only that, but the main thing I love is that it deals with what happens when heroes are so focused on fighting villains that they forget why they bothered to be heroes. It's just gang wars. This whole thing is embodied with Billy, who is a complete tool. He forgets how to actually be human and think for himself, becoming nothing except for a superpowered weapon to be used. Pretty much telling everypne who thinks the Punisher is a superhero to go fuck themselves.

Fantastic story. Can't get over it. One of my favorite books.

Awesome! Great assessment, too. Such a great book. PERFECT art for the story. Ross artwork doesn't work in every context, but anybody else on this particular book would have done it a disservice.

Say-what.gif

Rhaknar

I hate that Del Mundo has Avengers but Ramos has Champions.

Which part do you hate?

Also, Ant Man #2:

"Gah he's a Gambit knockoff!"
"They're playing cards, he didnt invent those you know!?"

Made me giggle

Did anyone else try out that new Greg Pak book from Dark Horse, Kingsway West? I thought it was a good intro issue. Fun blend of western setting and magic.

Rhaknar

Avengers got a interesting artist while Champions looks...like a Ramos book.

I like Ramos. And from the preview it looks like "good Ramos" as opposed to Spider-Man's "bored Ramos". Anyway:

Astonishing Ant-Man #2-5 - well this was a nice surprise, issue #1 didnt really do much for me months ago but these were much better. Scott's "im such a loser" routine is still annoying but there's a ton of funny stuff in here between his kinda-villaim buddies, the magician in issue 2, his team up with Sam Cap in issue 3 and the overall Henchmen app story. Kinda bummed it was canceled now tbh :/

Rhaknar

What story / book did Pym and Ultron merge?

Top Bottom