• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Sandfox

Ugh I picked up a lot of stinkers this week. Three of my last four reads were drops and that last one (Ant-Man) really deserves to be dropped but at this point I kinda want to see what happens.

Just finished Black Hammer #1 and thought it was bland as fuck

I'm conflicted on Ant-Man because the story shouldn't have taken this long to resolve and have the character actually do Ant-Man stuff, but I want to see where the stuff Spencer set up goes.

it's on you for buying a Jeff Lemire team book

Oh yeah it's totally on me. I took a shot. I knew the risks.

But now that I've taken the hit I'm spreading the word: Black Hammer sucks.

I'm conflicted on Ant-Man because the story shouldn't have taken this long to resolve and have the character actually do Ant-Man stuff, but I want to see where the stuff Spencer set up goes.

Yup I'm in the same place.

There's a list I came across of DCC items that were present at the show but photos were restricted.

DC Bombshells Vixen Statue – June 2017
Harley Quinn Red, White & Black Statue by Terry Dodson – June 2017
Batman The Animated Series – Poison Ivy Figure – August 2017
Batman The Animated Series – Mr. Freeze Figure – August 2017
DC Icons – Rebirth Green Lantern “Jessica Cruz” Figure – August 2017
DC Icons – Rebirth “Super Sons” Figure 2-Pack – August 2017
DC Icons – Captain Cold “Absolute Zero” Figure – August 2017
DC Designer Series – The Joker Statue by Brian Bolland – July 2017

And here's ArtFX+ Batman and Robin:

sdcc2016-kotobukiya-118-noscale.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Didn't see any replies for this. I'd vote no, except for a circumstance where your exposure to comics is extremely limited. It's not something like Netflix. It's basically only going to have the first handful of issues for most stuff. It has nothing from Marvel or DC to my knowledge.

If you want to sample a lot of Dark Horse or Image stuff, you might find it useful. Any series you decide to stick with will still cost money. If nothing else, run your free trial and see what you think.

For anyone who has been in comics for a decent amount of time, I don't think it's worth it.

Thanks for the response! :)

That doesn't sound too appealing then. I thought it was like Netflix.

Is Marvel Unlimited the same type of thing?

Marvel Unlimited is like Netflix.

They don't have the newest stuff (there's a minimum six month delay), and they have some interface and database problems sometimes, but basically, it's what you think it is and want it to be.

Marvel Unlimited is AMAZING. You basically get everything Marvel has done, decades worth of comics, for dirt cheap. The one caveat is all these newest releases are exactly six months delayed on the service. I read all my Marvel comics through MU. Bonus: you get everything Star Wars!

The app used to be the weak link in the setup, but now it's pretty freaking sweet.

Unconditionally recommended.

Messi

Marvel Unlimited is AMAZING. You basically get everything Marvel has done, decades worth of comics, for dirt cheap. The one caveat is all these newest releases are exactly six months delayed on the service. I read all my Marvel comics through MU. Bonus: you get everything Star Wars!

The app used to be the weak link in there setup, but now it's pretty freaking sweet.

Is it still SD only?

Is it still SD only?

You know, I tried a while back to pinpoint the exact resolution of MU scans, but they really seem to vary based on age. The 60s stuff is perfectly legible, but it looks pretty damn rough if you zoom in on panels.

I think the new stuff looks great, but I'll caveat that by saying that I've been reading on my 6s plus in landscape mode with scrolling, and sometimes guided view. This isn't the type of device that is going to show a lot of imperfections or pixelation if it exists.

If you're reading on a 12 inch iPad Pro, it might not look too hot. I haven't done a side by side comparison with Comixology, but I imagine they have cleaner, sharper scans. MU is more the buffet, all you can eat option that comes with some tradeoffs.

Sort of on topic, but I'm in the market for a tablet that I'll use mainly as my daily driver and for comic book consumption. I looked pretty heavily at the Asus Chromebook Flip, which seems like a nifty hybrid device that's dirt cheap and checks off most boxes. Then I look at the wonder that is the larger iPad Pro and it gives me pause. Costs four times what the Flip does, and somehow looks way more limited, but also seems like a dream for comics.

The Eisners are happening now, right? Guessing Jordie Bellaire will win the colorist one.
It's such a foregone conclusion that they should change it next year and start shaming shitty colorists, like Frank D'Armata.

(Though I don't think he even gets much interior work anymore.)

They can't even decide what kind of a list it is. It says it's a list of the best of all time, but then at one point he says they're the most important of all time (a completely different distinction), and then the text description says they're the best to get beginners started.

Yeah, he seems a bit confused whether he is going for best or what he considers most important/influential.

They can't even decide what kind of a list it is. It says it's a list of the best of all time, but then at one point he says they're the most important of all time (a completely different distinction), and then the text description says they're the best to get beginners started.

Honestly, I'm surprised he didn't suggest The Killing Joke.

Also, I see that stack of OG Dragonball manga on the shelf behind him. I SEE IT YOU HIPSTER.

The irony of that dude talking about how silly it is to have adults in colorful costumes in superhero movies, all while having that fucking mustache.

What accent is he affecting?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Marvel Unlimited is like Netflix.

They don't have the newest stuff (there's a minimum six month delay), and they have some interface and database problems sometimes, but basically, it's what you think it is and want it to be.

The app used to be the weak link in the setup, but now it's pretty freaking sweet.

Thanks bros, sounds great! Does it have Immortal Iron Fist?

kmfdmpig

Sort of on topic, but I'm in the market for a tablet that I'll use mainly as my daily driver and for comic book consumption. I looked pretty heavily at the Asus Chromebook Flip, which seems like a nifty hybrid device that's dirt cheap and checks off most boxes. Then I look at the wonder that is the larger iPad Pro and it gives me pause. Costs four times what the Flip does, and somehow looks way more limited, but also seems like a dream for comics.

Galaxy Tab S (the original one, not the iPad clone Tab S 2) is perfect for comics. The screen ratio is as close as it gets to a portrait view page of a US comic. It's a few years old now, but still fast and light. It shouldn't be too expensive either.

There aren't a lot of great recent Android tablets that are ~10 inches or more. If you could get by with 8 inch then the Shield Tablet is probably the best price/performance tablet for Android now.

The smaller iPad Pro is on sale right now at Best Buy if that's an option.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1250976

Top Bottom