• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

Bane

That's why I take a buy first attitude with a lot of these omnibus releases. The gaping hole in my Brubaker Captain America omnibus collection will never be filled (I'm only missing the Captain America Lives Omnibus but that retails for bonkers prices) and I try not to let that happen again.

Yeah, unfortunately I'd not been keeping up with them for a good while and am just now getting back into it all.

Hey I'm new to DC Rebirth and loving it, but do I understand correctly that King's Batman has had a mixed reception? I'm really surprised by that honestly as I'm through Vol 1 and just starting Vol 2 and I'm waaaaaay into it. Its pretty dark and brooding so I could see how that could turn some people off but I think the writing is really damn good and Gotham and Gotham Girl are really interesting

I quite enjoyed I am Gotham but I am Suicide didn't do much for me at all. King has some quirks with dialogue in this run that annoy me and Suicide had it the worst. I also felt like it barely had a point. I am Bane was pretty great and I've been mostly really digging everything since so far. The War of Jokes and Riddles has had a great start.

I quite enjoyed I am Gotham but I am Suicide didn't do much for me at all. King has some quirks with dialogue in this run that annoy me and Suicide had it the worst. I also felt like it barely had a point. I am Bane was pretty great and I've been mostly really digging everything since so far.

Ah yeah I've only read I am Gotham so I don't have the full picture yet, but I was pretty damn engrossed the whole time with that. Maybe I'll feel a bit different about I am Suicide but its good to hear Bane is good as well.

Aizo

Banned
Aizo, do you buy your comics in English or Japanese? Saw this video where a lady was in a Japanese comic book store that had comics in English and Japanese, which I thought was a bit odd. You'd never see anything like that over in America.

[edit]

When you buy physical, that is.
The only things I really buy physical are graphic novels, and I don't think most of those are even translated into Japanese anyway. This year, I bought Hot Dog Taste Test, Boundless, Patience, My Favorite Thing is Monsters, and Killing and Dying. All physical and in English.

What I care about is experiencing things in the original language if I can, so I'm typically not going to experience any American/Canadian/British media in Japanese. This also means I'm typically not going to play a Japanese game, read a manga, or read a Japanese book in English.

Although... the binding on Japanese DC trades is so nice. If there was a comic I really loved enough to read over, I would consider then getting the Japanese edition. In fact, I read Scott Pilgrim in black and white when it originally released, color when that released, and now I'm reading the Japanese version.
The big CMX sales are close. I can feel it.
I received my bonus last week. I am ready.
giphy.gif

King's Batman is solid but everything with Catwoman is awkward and it drags the book down whenever she's there. In fact, yeah everything where she isn't there is pretty good. Unfortunately she's likely a major character for the rest of wherever the rest of the run goes.

Aizo

Banned
I'm not crazy about Bruce and Selina's awkward relationship and what happened to Holly Robinson. Do writers forget about Bruce's other lover interests?
Those are obviously two separate thoughts, but they read as they're related, which weirded me out and made me think that I missed something. I believe Holly fled the country, and Batman I guess has no interest in catching her because she's a scapegoat (although she did the crime in actuality) to get Selina off scot-free.

Dalek

I respect King's Batman run-but it's just not a favorite of mine. I much prefer the style of story Detectice Comics is doing right now.

That said-I loved his Vision story.

Reading X-Men: No More Humans. It's good so far. This must have been Carey's last X story, right?

My only issue is that everyone is super confrontational and an ass. Except for Young Jean. I feel like Carey is just deflating the entire X situation with this

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
King's Batman's first arc was okay, a lot better on the second read, but I absolutely loved I Am Suicide. That was some top Batman storytelling.

I also really love the way he writes Bruce when he interacts with Catwoman, I won't be mad if this was pretty much the Batman and Catwoman show from volume 2 onwards.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
While I wait for Game of Thrones to start and my IST order to get here, I continue to read My Hero Academia, it's really damn good. It feels really nostalgic but it has that really fun and energetic feel that Shonen Jump mangas have from when I was a kid. It's all that I loved from stuff like Naruto, Bleach, Dragon Ball and Shaman King.

Messi

Did you not do an order first to get 2% off on the next one?

Nah but I should have. I made lots of mistakes this time.

There is no free shipping to Irishland.

Kinokuniya books carries manga in English and Japanese. I used to have one in the local mall.

While very true this order is going to meet me in Florida this weekend hopefully and I'll hand deliver to my home after that. For a saving of over 100$ shipping.

Quick question for you old school floppie fans, did anyone who got a copy of Motor Girl 7 see any printing problems with there copy? Got mine delivered and theres faded brown marks across a few of the pages :( , wondering if it was a print problem or just my copy.

I'm reading the original run of Fantastic Four by Lee/Kirby on MU. Doctor Doom's first appearance is hilarious.

Also love all these pictures:

Look at that photo analysis lab!

It's a great run and I think it still holds up very well. Have to jump on the second omnibus soon (Starting from #31). Has all the cosmic stuff being introduced.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Though I had heard good things about them a couple of times, I had yet to read Afterlife with Archie and the Chilling Adventures with Sabrina comics until recently.

While I like Archie, I went to read the Sabrina issues after reading the issue centered on her in Archie, thinking her story continued there. I don't like the Sabrina issues I've read so far and I wonder if I should continue or not.

Messi

Though I had heard good things about them a couple of times, I had yet to read Afterlife with Archie and the Chilling Adventures with Sabrina comics until recently.

While I like Archie, I went to read the Sabrina issues after reading the issue centered on her in Archie, thinking her story continued there. I don't like the Sabrina issues I've read so far and I wonder if I should continue or not.

Sabrina's series has nothing to do with Archie's series. If you aren't enjoying it then drop it.

MG310

Bought a page from Jorge Molina's sale. It was my second choice but was cheaper than my first choice which sold out in the day I waffled over buying it.

VanWinkle

Finished The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller. It was good. Some moments of brilliance. But I don't know, I certainly didn't think it was as good as Batman: Year One. I think it was VERY much written to the world of that time, which has made it age a lot worse.

When Steve Rogers was revealed to be an agent of Hydra due to the manipulations of Red Skull, the Marvel Universe was rocked to its core. Now, it’s the moment fans have been waiting for – and you’re not going to want to miss this reveal!

4ku4e.jpg

SECRET EMPIRE #9

Written by NICK SPENCER

Art by LEINIL YU

Cover by MARK BROOKS

FOC – 7/31/17, On-Sale – 8/23/17

What is the secret of Steve Rogers? And how will it affect the Marvel Universe as we know it? Head to your local comic shop this August to find out!

Bucky, Serpent Society member or someone else? Make your guesses.

BC: Superman: Agent of Batman by Max Landis.

Top Bottom