• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
LiPzOME.jpg

Nudull

Banned
Oh cool, BDSM Rocketeer. :3

Also, may I ask why so many of you think Carol is the worst? Is it just a "feminist characterization is boring/forced" sort of thing with you lot?

TI82

Banned
I guess I "liked" Lost World more than three. JP3 for me was like an hour and a half long gymnastic raptor kick.

The only good thing to come from these bad movies was getting me to read the two Jurassic Park books which i liked a lot and were vastly different than the movie to keep them interesting.

Never read them, I read one Crichton novel and it was horrible so I never bothered with more.

zennyzz

Oh cool, BDSM Rocketeer. :3

Also, may I ask why so many of you think Carol is the worst? Is it just a "feminist characterization is boring/forced" sort of thing with you lot?

I don't think she's the worst. I just feel she's a bit too what's the word.

Beige, I guess.

Especially considering how colorfully trainwrecky her comic history has been. You'd kinda expect a lot less by the numbers Former military woman than how she's portrayed.

Sandfox

Carol has never really been that good/interesting of a character who's most famous for that infamous Avengers issue and Rogue taking her powers. If anything I think Marvel is trying to use her to fill a role that should go to characters like Sue Storm or She-Hulk.

Squire

Banned
Carol has never really been that good/interesting of a character who's most famous for that infamous Avengers issue and Rogue taking her powers. If anything I think Marvel is trying to use her to fill a role that should go to characters like Sue Storm or She-Hulk.

It's a borderline miracle that She-Hulk runs the show in A-Force instead of Carol subconsciously trying her hardest to imitate Cap.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Reading Edmondson's Punisher, takes some getting used to: he casually talks to people in a diner, smiles and now has a dog? Only 3 issues in, but this is the most happy go lucky Frank I've read yet

Nudull

Banned

It's a borderline miracle that She-Hulk runs the show in A-Force instead of Carol subconsciously trying her hardest to imitate Cap.

You guys do know that She-Hulk wouldn't really work as Marvel's go-to super-heroine ala Wonder Woman, considering that she's ultimately a distaff counterpart?

Sue Storm has been an important character, but quite a few writers have dragged her through the mud (Malice, anyone?) so much that she isn't taken nearly as seriously anymore by audiences. Hell, the FF, recognizable as they are, haven't had the cultural relevancy that they used to have in years.

Carol has had the rare opportunity as a legacy character to not only shed away all of the negative baggage of the Bronze Age and her infamous reputation as a walking cheesecake factory, but to also be reinvented by a popular writer and enjoy a huge fanbase in the wake of women becoming more visible as comic fans. Marvel has been pushing her so hard lately because she became that strong as a character and a rising icon for geek women.

...and seriously, what the hell at that Cap comment? :/

Squire

Banned
I don't hate Carol and I appreciate the symbolism of popularity. I actually kind of love it since most of my favorites are women; having one become a new age icon is great on a whole multitude of levels.

But Carol is dull. Like, respect to what you said about Jen and Sue, Carol is still very dull in comparison. I think she's mostly a more brazen Cap and that's not a bad thing because I like Cap! But that is how I see it.

Honestly though? We should be able to have our cake and eat it too on things like this. Carol, Jen, Sue; they're all great in their own way and they should all be culturally celebrated.

Sandfox

You guys do know that She-Hulk wouldn't really work as Marvel's go-to super-heroine ala Wonder Woman, considering that she's ultimately a distaff counterpart?

Sue Storm has been an important character, but quite a few writers have dragged her through the mud (Malice, anyone?) so much that she isn't taken nearly as seriously anymore by audiences. Hell, the FF, recognizable as they are, haven't had the cultural relevancy that they used to have in years.

Carol has had the rare opportunity as a legacy character to not only shed away all of the negative baggage of the Bronze Age and her infamous reputation as a walking cheesecake factory, but to also be reinvented by a popular writer and enjoy a huge fanbase in the wake of women becoming more visible as comic fans. Marvel has been pushing her so hard lately because she became that strong as a character and a rising icon for geek women.

...and seriously, what the hell at that Cap comment? :/
I would argue that Carol has been dragged through the mud far more than Sue and in more recent times, which is probably holding her book back(though I personally don't like the book, but there is clearly a vocal group of people that do). I just think there are better choices than her as Marvel's "Wonder Woman" when you look at all the other female heroes they had to choose from.

Also, the more popular female characters right now are just as much counterparts as She-Hulk. I'm curious to see what comes out of Spider-Gwen's popularity.

Messi

I like Carol. She is interesting.

Seriously though. I don't usually talk about my namesake but last night was one of the most stunning performances I've ever seen.

CoarseNeatBlobfish.gif[img]

Zombine

Banned
Have any of you guys considered taking out an insurance policy on you shit? It's something that has been on my mind lately and I think it should be on some of yours as well. States, prints, hardcovers, omnibuses, Ect...these things aren't like Video Games where their value drops dramatically after x amount of months. They either retain their MSRP or increase in price as they go OOP. You may want to protect your investments.

Endless rarely interact with main DC. Best I can think of is Death and Lex Luthor.

Yeah that's true. I think that adds to their character, these mysterious forces of nature that work behind the scenes. They were at the end of Books of Magic and I think Dream talked to Kyle once in Morrison's JLA run.

This happened, and was very confusing to me as a kid.

I had read JLA pretty much when I first got into DC and I had no idea either. He kinda came out of nowhere. Need to reread that as well.

Messi

Have any of you guys considered taking out an insurance policy on you shit? It's something that has been on my mind lately and I think it should be on some of yours as well. States, prints, hardcovers, omnibuses, Ect...these things aren't like Video Games where their value drops dramatically after x amount of months. They either retain their MSRP or increase in price as they go OOP. You may want to protect your investments.

You might want to consider it with the art. I have spent over 2500 on art. You must have spent more than me.

Eh? Why is Brainiac 5 planning to kill the Question?

That is one hell of a goal.

It's fantastic. He is just out of this world.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i want Carol to be huge (and she will be) but her MCU movie may end up as her most defining story. she's pretty boring these days and her solo title is super dull.

Kamala Khan is the real deal, tho. masterfull take on the pro feminist ideals that Marvel is (awesomely) trying to push these days.

i would hope all of you who rent have renters insurance and a rider for the art work

You might want to consider it with the art. I have spent over 2500 on art. You must have spent more than me.

Well, I mean, I've probably spent similar amounts on physical comics. It's just that each book generally has a lower value than any one piece of art.

It's fantastic. He is just out of this world.

Well, I suppose when you're the best player in the world you need to aim beyond it! :p

Messi

Those last two set pics of Harley in suicide squad
her waving while batman is on the roof of the car
have convinced me she is going to nail it completely. Fuck the face tats though.

tim1138

Why is tim1138 posting screenshots of The Order Comics
with all these black bars?

I keep thinking they are spoilers and clicking on them.

Now I want a Discworld comic. A Night Watch ongoing by Waid or Mort by Ellis.

Because imgur adds them when I upload screen grabs and I don't care enough to figure out why.

Owzers

hmmmmmm i'm halfway through Sullivan's Sluggers and i don't hate it. I presume it's because i have no standards for horror-ish-monster-ish stories due to watching awful horror movies. If this were a movie, i'd watch it, but it's not a very compelling read.

Am I alone in thinking Court of Owls is still the best arc in Snyder's Batman? I've enjoyed all of it but the first half of Owls is just brilliant. I haven't read Endgame yet though.

I didn't read Zero Year in its entirety, but Death of the Family was my personal favorite.

Also, been binge-reading Sunstone and I'm just like:

tumblr_inline_mm8szsmJ781qz4rgp.gif

but I really think it has, damn you guys, especially you Messi

Am I alone in thinking Court of Owls is still the best arc in Snyder's Batman? I've enjoyed all of it but the first half of Owls is just brilliant. I haven't read Endgame yet though.

First half of Owls is tough to beat, but I'd say the later half of Zero Year tops it. My general dislike of horror knocks Death of the Family out of the race (seriously, some parts felt like they were straight out of SAW), and Endgame was... well, it was great, but parts felt a tad contrived. Zero Year is an incredible origin story, and an incredible Riddler story. One-two combo like what.

Messi

I thought Endgame was the weakest. Still good but the weakest of the bunch.

I didn't read Zero Year in its entirety, but Death of the Family was my personal favorite.

Also, been binge-reading Sunstone and I'm just like:

tumblr_inline_mm8szsmJ781qz4rgp.gif

but I really think it has, damn you guys, especially you Messi

It's really good right? I need to do a re read soon. Book club?

#TeamAlly

It's really good right? I need to do a re read soon. Book club?

#TeamAlly

I didn't doubt it was good, but man it's actually pretty amazing. I know BDSM is supposed to be the catch, that thing that makes the story interesting, but I feel like I could watch these characters fall in love even without the pretext.

Haven't finished vol 2 yet or know much about this Anne person, so I'll just assume the other team is Lisa by default.

In which case, I'm #TeamLisa.

Can't believe the Endgame trade isn't out until October. I'm tempted to buy the issues separately.

DC and their shitty release schedules kek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom