• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

ogZhQ9Z.jpg

This month sees the American release of big comic book movie Captain America: Civil War and also marks the start of DC Rebirth! Lots of big things going on.
It's also important to note that every May has Free Comic Book Day on the first Saturday of the month! Check out Zombine's thread detailing it for this year

SgbIrjD.png

4TolnBT.jpg

Captain America: Steve Rogers #1 by Nick Spencer and Jesus Saiz (May 25th) - Just in time for the movie, Steve Rogers makes his shocking return as CAPTAIN AMERICA! He's got a cool new shield and a tactical new outfit and he's ready to battle Hydra and other old foes!
Civil War II #0 by Brian Michael Bendis and Olivier Coipel (May 18th) - Just in time for the movie, Civil War makes its shocking return! Get ready for the sequel event to the original event that fans have been talking about for years!
Nighthawk #1 David Walker and Ramon Villalobos (May 25th) - Nighthawk is Chicago's dark protector, dispensing swift, decisive justice to those that truly deserve it. When the city's shadiest power brokers turn up murdered in gristly ways, the apparent work of an inventive serial killer, Nighthawk must ask himself, Does this predator deserve to be caught?

qaugsEU.png

GyqlQNi.jpg

Justice League #50 by Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok (May. 25th) - So important, it's here two months in a row! This marks the conclusion of DARKSEID WAR!
DC Universe: Rebirth #1 by Geoff Johns, and others (May 25th) - DC's latest effort to "bring back what has been lost" is here! Get ready for DC COMICS REBIRTH!
Midnighter #12 by Steve Orlando, Aco, and Hugo Petrus (May 4th) - Midnighter, Apollo and the Suicide Squad square off against The Unified-one of Henry Bendix's most dangerous creations!

Pj1YPNh.png

Ux6A3WS.jpg

Island #7 by a lot of creators! (May 11th) - Brandom Graham's anthology is back! It has the first chapter of Firebug and the third chaptor of Ancestor!
Monstress #6 by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda (May 25th) - Maika and her friends face betrayal and death, and only the monster inside-and her growing relationship with it-can save them. It's the end of the first story arc!
Drifter #11 by Ivan Brandon and Nic Klein (May 18th) - Ravaged by a nuclear winter, Ghost Town is forever changed when the Wheelers begin to set a mysterious plan into motion.

KXpsLLu.png

HeLGLDW.jpg

Mae #1 by Gene Ha (May 18th) - As a young girl, Abbie discovered a portal to a fantasy world and spent years as a hero of this realm. Now she's an adult and has decided to reutn home. Her sister, Mae, has no idea and must now see all of the monsters and creature's from Abbie's world!
Hellboy in Hell #9 by Mike Mignola (May 4th) - Hellboy continues to face demons in hell and to shake things up, one of his family members makes an appearance! This is the first half of the conclusion of HELLBOY! Tyrant Rave pick of the month!
Usagi Yojimbo #154 by Stan Sakai (May 18th) - When Usagi protects a Komori ninja during a raging storm, he never guesses that he will cross paths with her again . . . but many months later, fate places them on opposite sides of a trade agreement gone wrong.

7XkluQw.png

ZPf8DG2.jpg

Archangel #1 by William Gibson and Butch Guice (May 18th) - The U.S. political leaders of 2016 abandon the radioactive planet they've destroyed and harness the power of humanity's last hope: The Splitter, a colossal machine designed to manufacture a bright new reality for them to infiltrate and corrupt.
Ghostbusters International $5 by Erik Burnham and Dan Schoening (May 25th) - here's no such thing as a coincidence, and the open ectoplasmic hostility at the Louvre go a long way towards proving that point. Can the Ghostbusters fend off a spectral assault without damaging one of the greatest art depositories in the known world?
Donald Duck #13 by Lars Jensen, Dick Kinney, Flemming Anderson, and Al Hubbard (May 11th) - When lucky cousin Gladstone acquires a haunted English castle, will Donald exorcise the ghosts inside-or sneakily team up with them?

e1ZbXE9.png

GcbS8XH.jpg

4001 AD #1 by Matt "Valiant Comics" Kindt and Clayton Crain (May 4th) - Exiled from the only realm he’s ever known, Rai now walks the ravaged world of 4001 A.D. in search of forgotten heroes like himself… on a mission to collect the last surviving legends of a broken planet…and to forge a rebellion with the power to bring the most advanced civilization in history crashing back down to Earth.
Rachel Rising #42 by Terry Moore (May 25th) - Rachel's quest comes to an end when she learns the true identity of her killer and the terrible secret that binds them. FINAL ISSUE!
Boy's Club by Matt Furie (May 30th) - Finally, you can finally own your own rare Pepe in print! It's time to learn all about the memes used by popstars like Nicki Minaj and Katy Perry like sadfrog.jpg, enough.jpg, and feelsbadman.jpg!

G159DJG.png

New to comics? Check out Zombine's Start Up Guide!
Help support my name is ed! His comic Rage Against the Jackal is available digitally on Comixology!
Also keep an eye out for Bish's upcoming comic Savage Empire featuring art by Jim Roy Jimenez!

Members in ComicsGAF are expected to follow the NeoGAF TOS just like everyone else. I know it can be hard, but try and be excellent to your fellow members guys.

On SPOILERS. Use common sense and please, mark your spoilers! If you must post a spoilery panel or a page from a comic (recent or otherwise), please link to them with a proper spoiler warning. Everyone has different levels of spoiler tolerance, so please try to be courteous and mark your spoilers. DON'T be that person.

ComicsGAF Scholar and Spider-Man superfan, ViewtifulJC made a series of posts focused on the Brand New Day era of Amazing Spider-Man. While many long-time fans were burned by One More Day, BND served as a very exciting period for ASM. Check out his thoughts below:
ASM #546-574
ASM #575-607
ASM #608-647

Anyone looking to get into Amazing Spider-Man should definitely give them a read!

Ih6AHdR.jpg

New month new list

Unfollow #7
Revival #39
Walking Dead #154
Wicked & Divine #19
A-Force #5
Black Widow #3
Empress #2
Gwenpool #0
Moon Knight #2
Scarlet #8 (!!!!!!!)

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Welcome back Manifest Destiny and Nailbiter. Goodbye Rat Queens.

My buys for this month......

tumblr_o2q634yePB1riu867o1_500.jpg

THE BEAUTY #7
THE AUTUMNLANDS #11
BLACK ROAD #2
CRY HAVOC #5
EAST OF WEST #26
THE FIX #2
INJECTION #10
MANIFEST DESTINY #19
MIRROR #4
MONSTRESS #6
NAILBITER #21
REVIVAL #40
SHUTTER #21
SWITCH #4
TOKYO GHOST #7
THE WALKING DEAD #154
THE WICKED + THE DIVINE #19

Riptwo

I've been a massive William Gibson fan since junior high, so I'm excited to see how Archangel turns out. It should be interesting to see how his form of storytelling is translated into a more concise medium!

Boogiepop

Some people mentioned manga and 3-in-1s in the last thread. I think the other manufacturers may be fine, but let me say this: unless they've changed their policies on how they print them, DO NOT get any "Viz 3-in-1s". They're printer on insanely thin paper and it isn't worth it to save the extra money. The "Viz Big" collections are the actually nice multi-volume collections from Viz, though they don't have them for everything.

Oh, and Dark Horse manga go with IST obviously for the discount, though if you're going in heavily on manga from other publishers I'd recommend maybe looking into rightstuf.com and one of their 10% membership card things, as that'll save you some cash in the long run.

Also, if you want to talk how crazy the amount of content you can get per dollar is compared to comics (though to be fair things like coloring and occasionally matters like over-all panel density, etc can offset this) since I think that came up, it gets even crazier if you talk what they're paying in Japan. Basic going rate is ~$4 for a 200 page volume, which is nuts.

Oh yeah, and I do want to say thanks for the laughs in regards to last thread's commentary follow-up posts on Batman Odyssey. At least some joy came about as a result of that monstrosity...

VanWinkle

Welcome, everybody. And a hearty thank you to Tyrant Dave for the beautiful thread. Looking forward to posts from series regulars, such as Messy, Freezersaurus, Gamerproff, and Zombie.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
These were responses that I'm replaying to from the last OT:

Marvel Unlimited for most Marvel books
Image trades and Comixology $1 issue sales for Image books

I also buy about 10-15 singles a month, the stuff i want most, through dcbs.

I switched from floppies to digital a while back and it was a great decision. I was getting to the point where I'd have a pile of comics sitting on my desk that would grow every week until I felt like sorting them into the longboxes (I never felt like sorting them into the longboxes). I went through my longboxes and pulled out all the stuff that is or may be valuable and just tossed the rest of it. Saving so much space by not having to find places to keep floppies anymore. I would suggest you join the digital future. Though it does make you more susceptible to impulse buys and comixology sales, but at least you won't have to find a place for any of it.

If there's a collected edition coming out of something I really liked, then I'll usually buy that. I still buy physical versions of collected editions. But the monthly stuff is all digital now.

Thank you both for your input! I think I'm going mostly digital with a few series (Batman, TMNT Eastman covers, Manifest Destiny, and Star Wars) physical and then I'll get specific physical issues of big events or good covers that I like. I just signed up for Marvel Unlimited and man is it good! It's much easier to read on your phone than I would have thought.

frye

William Gibson is something of a local hero whose work I've never read so I'll probably pick up that thing outta shame

Can anyone recommend a cheap Android tablet that is good for reading graphic novels on?

Anything that runs decent. I mean, even a Samsung Nook or a Kindle will do the job fine. It's mostly about what kind of screen you'd prefer. Most people tend to go with iPads or Galaxy tabs.

shoutouts to "You Are Here" in the header. I swear to God this book is such a delightful romantic comedy with exceptional Kyle Baker artwork, its got a 100% success rate. If you ever listen to one of my recommendations, make it this one.

Would have picked Punisher over NightOwl.

Woohoo. May thread!

Why does Marvel have to be first in the op? What you got against DC Tyrant?
I can't win
YsFaEJz.png

Is there any cheap tablet that Comicgaf can recommend for reading graphic novels on?

Like Freeza said, I think most people here just use iPads or Galaxy Tabs, so I'm not very familiar with other options. I know we had someone recommend the Pixel-C a few times but I'm not sure about the price of those myself. I just use an iPad Mini that I got around Black Friday for cheap. Anything around the size of that or larger should be more than fine honestly.

List for this week:
Hellboy In Hell #9
Black Widow #3
Very small week for me

Vic_Viper

Did DC ever do a Absolute Edition/Omnibus for Grant Morrison's Batman? I know they did one for Batman & Robin and Batman Inc. but can't seem to find one for RIP.

TheFlow

Banned
Not really a list but:

We Stand On Guard Deluxe HC

Gotham Central Omnibus HC

and then catch up on some image titles. Maybe Punisher

VanWinkle

Weak! That was the best part of his Batman run! I have all the single issues but I really wanted them all in one book.

Deluxe Edition OHCs:
Black Glove (contains Batman and Son and The Black Glove)
Batman RIP
Batman and Robin Vol 1
Batman and Robin Vol 2
Batman and Robin Vol 3
Batman Inc.

Batman Inc New 52 Vol 1 and 2 are not collected in OHC

Absolute Edition:
Batman and Robin (Contains all of Batman and Robin)
Batman Inc. (Contains all of Batman Inc, including N52 volumes)

So you COULD go Black Glove Deluxe, RIP Deluxe, and absolute editions for B&R and Batman Incorporated. I wish they would just put an omnibus or two together.

Nudull

Banned
Listy McListlist

Dungeons & Dragons #1
My Little Pony: Friends Forever #28
Rat Queens #16
The Punisher #1
Star Wars: Poe Dameron #2

VanWinkle

Not really a list but:

We Stand On Guard Deluxe HC

Gotham Central Omnibus HC

and then catch up on some image titles. Maybe Punisher

Nice. I won't be able to get the GC Omnibus for a month or so unfortunately, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Deluxe Edition OHCs:
Black Glove (contains Batman and Son and The Black Glove)
Batman RIP
Batman and Robin Vol 1
Batman and Robin Vol 2
Batman and Robin Vol 3
Batman Inc.

Batman Inc New 52 Vol 1 and 2 are not collected in OHC

Absolute Edition:
Batman and Robin (Contains all of Batman and Robin)
Batman Inc. (Contains all of Batman Inc, including N52 volumes)

So you COULD go Black Glove Deluxe, RIP Deluxe, and absolute editions for B&R and Batman Incorporated. I wish they would just put an omnibus or two together.

DC is going to release a Batman and Robin by Grant Morrison HC that will likely have all the Absolute extras later this year.

There is also a Return of Bruce Wayne Deluxe that released already.

TheFlow

Banned
Yea you guys sold me on Gotham Central and I have been itching to read we stand on guard but waited till it was all collected together.

Saga #36

little teary eyed after reading this. Great end to another fantastic arc.

Also the fact that Brian K. Vaughan just started reading Stray bullets and loves it blow my mind. He gives Stray bullets a big shoutout at the end of #36.

VanWinkle

DC is going to release a Batman and Robin by Grant Morrison HC that will likely have all the Absolute extras later this year.

There is also a Return of Bruce Wayne Deluxe that released already.

I completely forgot that Return of Bruce Wayne existed. You're right.

I am ASSUMING that the new Batman and Robin will be OHC, but they didn't have any kind of "deluxe edition" wording so I wasn't going to say it like it was a fact. But it very likely is.

I just signed up for Marvel Unlimited and man is it good! It's much easier to read on your phone than I would have thought.

There are still some glitches on the app from time to time, but it's light years better than it was when I first signed up. If you're patient enough to wait for stuff to show up here instead of buying floppies, MU is a bargain.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I was interested in We Stand on Guard. Did it end up sucking?

It's one of the few Image book I haven't enjoyed so far. BKV kills people off so fast you barely get to know their names. Not that it matters anyway since the few characters you do get to know aren't that interesting anyway. Freeza is right (for once) about the art though. It was a nice looking book.

*watches one Bernie speech on youtube* -
STL004770.jpg

Special double-sized first issue!

The One% own more than half the world's wealth. They've crashed economies, bought governments, and have amassed more power than any other group in history. And they still don't have enough. With this kind of power how can anyone make them pay? WHO will make them pay? Enter Renato Jones, a mysterious vigilante, out to even the score. And when he enters the fray THE SUPER-RICH ARE SUPER F***ED.
the art in the preview looks good at least

list:

The Punisher #1
3 Floyds Alpha King #1
Renato Jones The One %
Wicked + The Divine #19
Space Battle Lunchtime #1
Steven Universe & the Crystal Gems #2
Empress #2

may get that new DnD comic and/or that new Spurrier Boom! book too

Nudull

Banned
Finally catching up on Paper Girls.

Damn, if this didn't already feel like a spiritual sequel to the Runaways (thematically, at least), it definitely felt so after five issues. Definitely a new Image favorite.

Top Bottom