• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Badass Ed. I was just admiring that Batman piece you did for me awhile back. You ever make up any prints?

hmm yeah! I have a few prints
tetsuo-Recovered2.jpg
Most of these are 11 x 17 but a few are 8 x 11 and couple are 5 x 7 I think

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Maybe it isn't and Capcom marketing just drilled it into your head that it is. I usually like RE games, but RE6 was straight-up dog shit.
Avoided 6 until now ;)
OK, how does it come that Resident Evil up to 5 (here only storywise) is such a amazing franchise? ;)

I really hope they get their stuff turned around with 7 again but I think the overall plot is broken as shit.

Avoided 6 until now ;)
OK, how does it come that Resident Evil up to 5 (here only storywise) is such a amazing franchise? ;)

I wouldn't say that, either. A lot of people hated 5. Personally, I liked it, but I seem to be in the minority on that one (but dat Sheva alt. costume). 4 played more like an action game, and it was the first RE without traditional zombies. Overall, if I had to call one game the best in the series, it would probably be 2.

Owzers

I liked 2's tone/story the best but 4's gameplay. Five was a letdown due to some boring environments and six...yeah.

Not looking forward to the new game, seems like a departure to the kind of horror games I don't play.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I wouldn't say that, either. A lot of people hated 5. Personally, I liked it, but I seem to be in the minority on that one (but dat Sheva alt. costume). 4 played more like an action game, and it was the first RE without traditional zombies. Overall, if I had to call one game the best in the series, it would probably be 2.
I would say Code Veronica or REmake, but I havent played 2 and Nemesis yet, I am waiting here for the REmakes. I hope so much that the tank-control returns.

I think that Resident Evil 5 gives some nice little additions to the story of the Las Plagas. The game itself is IMO much inferior to Resident Evil 4, which feels with its Map and riddles still like a part of the series. Everything else is IMO a repeat of 4 in slightly different.

I am a fan of the universe and how the story was told with all the notes, but the whole thing became a giant mess after 5 with all these million new viruses and characters.

I liked 2's tone/story the best but 4's gameplay. Five was a letdown due to some boring environments and six...yeah.

Not looking forward to the new game, seems like a departure to the kind of horror games I don't play.

I liked 4, certainly. But that wasn't a Resident Evil game. That was like Capcom pulling a Doki Doki Panic and making some action game before slapping Leon in it and calling it Resident Evil.

Avoided 6 until now ;)

I really hope they get their stuff turned around with 7 again but I think the overall plot is broken as shit.

because it isn't. There have been far more misses than hits in that series.

The generally accepted as good are 1, 2, 3, 4, CV aaand kinda sorta 5.

Then OK tier, Revelations 2, Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles.

Then you've got tolerable stuff, like Revelations. (i'd put CV in here, fwiw, but it is undeniable that that thing is well-loved)

Then it's firmly trash tier for the rest, RE6, Survivor, Outbreak 1 & 2, Zero, Dead Aim, Mercenaries, Operation Racoon City, Umbrella Corps.
-
story has always been complete nonsense, so not too worried about that. So long as i dont have to listen to any bastard saying Ouroboros/Wolbachia again, leeetss dooo thiiiis

GAMEPROFF

Banned
because it isn't. There have been far more misses than hits in that series.

The generally accepted as good are 1, 2, 3, 4, CV aaand kinda sorta 5.

Then OK tier, Revelations 2, Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles.

Then you've got tolerable stuff, like Revelations. (i'd put CV in here, fwiw, but it is undeniable that that thing is well-loved)

Then it's firmly trash tier for the rest, RE6, Survivor, Outbreak 1 & 2, Zero, Dead Aim, Mercenaries, Operation Racoon City, Umbrella Corps.
That are tons of Spin-offs. Its like including Mario Party when someone talks about Mario Jump & Run ;)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Zero is fine. Its hurt by the missing item boxes but one get used to it.

Would place it a little bit under Code Veronica so far but its far away from 5 or 6.

Zombine

Banned
They've basically called the first 12 issues season 1, right? It's not really over yet, I don't think.

Just had poodle confirm this for me. Sweet relief. What an amazing book.

I only had the opportunity to read 3 books today:

Avengers, Walking Dead, Sheriff of Babylon.

All 3 were pretty awesome. Mike Del Mundo is incredible.

Boogiepop

I really should probably get around to the rest of the Resident Evil franchise at some point. My actual proper exposure to the series is the DS version of 1 (yeah, yeah), REmake, and then most of those terrible movies (saw up through the one where there was a scene in the desert (I think Las Vegas) and there were "learning zombies" who looked like weird oompa loompa henchmen and then the Mary Sue got super mega psychic powers or some crap). So yeah, probably need to actually check out the rest of the franchise some time.

Also, all this discussion, but nobody mentioned Spider Woman. Because I read a lot of books that hit me well today, (or weirdly, like Champions with that kind of gross
Hulk kiss ending page
), but that ending probably hit me strongest. Also, Sonic Mega Drive got issue two today, so definitely give that a consideration, people, even if you don't normally do Sonic comics, as that's been a really fun little mini-series.

Oh, and I'm through the first batch of Archer & Armstrong in the Valiant reading order (#0-13). Definitely my favorite of what I've read so far Valiant-wise. Though it's kind of weird, in that... doesn't this kind of not fit properly at all with (at least the first few issues of) Eternal Warrior? Gilad's in both, and his motivations (and possibly what he's been doing for like a hundred years or so) seem to be complete opposites practically, which is weird.

Oh, and I'm through the first batch of Archer & Armstrong in the Valiant reading order (#0-13). Definitely my favorite of what I've read so far Valiant-wise. Though it's kind of weird, in that... doesn't this kind of not fit properly at all with (at least the first few issues of) Eternal Warrior? Gilad's in both, and his motivations (and possibly what he's been doing for like a hundred years or so) seem to be complete opposites practically, which is weird.

Gillad is as stupid as he is incompetent. And gods know how much he sucks at his job.

mreddie

RE2
1 (Remake)
RE4
Code Veronica
Revelations 2
RE3
Revelations 1
RE0
RE 5
RE 6

Also kinda liked Occupy even though it's clearly Hawkeye USA.

Boogiepop

Gillad is as stupid as he is incompetent. And gods know how much he sucks at his job.

I mean, to hit my issue more specifically, Eternal Warrior (1-4 at least) has Gillad
being all "I'm sick of this job and I quit a loooong time ago", and then a series of events leading to him killing the Earth goddess
but then Archer & Armstrong
has the Earth goddess just fine, and Gillad is still doing the totally loyal warrior thing to the degree that he's all "I will hunt you to the ends of the earth for killing a Geomancer!"
It's just weird and I can't see any way to reconcile those, despite the fact that they seem to otherwise be in continuity with one another, I think.

Also, I almost forgot! The little bonus comic in the back of issue 2 of Sonic Mega Drive was pretty directly poking fun at the whole Penders lawsuit mess/incredible stupidity, which amused me greatly.

Nobody is covering the game, not much anyway. Baseball!

Looks like they might actually pull this off?

Edit: I guess some sites have stories down the page, but this seems like a pretty big deal

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I reread the first volume of Invisible Republic before diving into the second, and I feel like this book would have fit nicely among the 2000s era Vertigo lineup with its gritty, ground level view of sociopolitical conflicts. I love the worldbuilding, and how it's not rushing to fit every political faction or character into the narrative, but introducing them as they become relevant to the journalist. It's a nice balancing act.

I was going to read TMNT vol 4 tonight but we started watching Narchos season 2 and you just can't read at the same time as this show, with all the subtitles.
Wat. Why would you ever be reading comics while watching TV, or watching TV while reading comics? Subtitles ain't the problem here!

Owzers

I liked 4, certainly. But that wasn't a Resident Evil game. That was like Capcom pulling a Doki Doki Panic and making some action game before slapping Leon in it and calling it Resident Evil.

That's probably why i liked it best, i liked the cheesey/kinda creepy zombie atmosphere and characters of the first two games but never really the gameplay. Resident Evil 2, all those puzzle pieces....

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I was considering Mayday until I saw that it's a mini-series.

I'll keep an eye on it and pick up if people still like it when it's over.

jurgen

Fuck, I've been wanting to read Rebirth Superman, but I'm gonna trade wait. Glad to hear it's great cause I love the Tomasi/Gleason team.

Oh man, you're really missing out. There's at least one or two moments that make me smile from ear to ear each issue. It's an absolute treasure to read twice a month.

I genuinely consider it the best Superman has been since All-Star or Joe Kelly's run.

They've basically called the first 12 issues season 1, right? It's not really over yet, I don't think.

Yeah, King said they're going to probably be back in late 2017.

Bane

of course Bane would come in here trying to make Batman look bad.
why don't you have a Bane avy

I probably will at some point. I've a few from other sites I go to.[

srly?
He was preparing to have his back broken, have to punch four holes in a wall and then RESET HIS OWN BACK BY FUCKING FORCE OF HUMAN WILL. That mantra was the only way he got through it.

I get he was planning to infiltrate Santa Prisca, but if the idea is that he knew all of that was going to happen, then bat-preparedness has hit ludicrous levels.

Deadly Class #23: I wasn't a huge fan of the first issue of this arc. I thought this one was a vast improvement. The
major "shakeup" in the cast
didn't feel well justified to me by the
new batch of characters
. Here they are much more palatable. Lots of great bits. Obviously though I'm going to give any book with an
extended Dungeons and Dragons scene
a positive review...even if
that charm check would of course have been a d20 roll, get your shit together Remender

The hard truth this issue forces the reader to confront is that
nobody in that crew was cut out for this. That's why they're dead. Saya is the only one who ever could have hoped to survive the test of the first year. It's really engaging to watch her interact mostly with first years, here, knowing that soon, most of them, maybe all of them, will be dead

Been playing so much Hitman that I totally forgot to read a single comic the past week.

Finally picked up last week's haul and...

Probably going to drop Ms. Marvel. Not really a fan of how it's playing out. I feel like it's far too by the numbers right now for me to get any sort of enjoyment out of it.

And the whole "seeing a fellow Pakistani" thing no longer has an impact because the way that aspect has been written in the past 5-6 issues feels largely like window dressing.

mreddie

Moon Knight: Yep, this isn't lame Lemire, this is GOAT Lemire. Black Hammer/Old Logan Lemire.

Personality Crisis

Probably going to drop Ms. Marvel. Not really a fan of how it's playing out. I feel like it's far too by the numbers right now for me to get any sort of enjoyment out of it.

And the whole "seeing a fellow Pakistani" thing no longer has an impact because the way that aspect has been written in the past 5-6 issues feels largely like window dressing.

I honestly in the same boat but Kamala is too cute for me to drop yet, I have no idea what's going on post Pakistan. And she's taking the month off in Dec.

That Catwoman / Prez Election Night one-shot just reminded me there won't be anymore Prez. God dammit DC, pull your heads out of your asses.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Superman just keeps proving that having a family isn't a death sentence to a comic. I love it. That last page, hot damn.

Animosity was great too. I love how the society's have developed and adapted. There's a
non-binary cat
for crying out loud! Bennett is a great writer.

Top Bottom