• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Company creates genetically modified self destructing mosquitos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quixzlizx

Yep. Exactly. Gotta love all these human beings that are ready to play god. Fucking morons

"Playing God" is such an intellectually lazy criticism that anyone can use to bemoan any deviancy from the status quo.

Artificially generating electricity is playing god.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I heard about this a while ago on Radio Lab. All I have to say is:

Fuck mosquitoes. Let's "play god". They are the only reason I don't like being outdoors in the evenings. Have to spray yourself in repellent to keep them away. Just rid the world of them.

Slayven

220px-Mimic.jpg

I heard about this a while ago on Radio Lab. All I have to say is:

Fuck mosquitoes. Let's "play god". They are the only reason I don't like being outdoors in the evenings. Have to spray yourself in repellent to keep them away. Just rid the world of them.

Cheers brother

I will happily live in a post mosquito world and all the consequences it brings (there will be no negative consequences)

That said... this method still isn't what i consider to the scale of complete eradication though

Cannot wait to see the results though

Uhh...

If their offspring cannot mature enough to reach reproductive age, how do they plan on having this trait gain dominance?

Uhh...

If their offspring cannot mature enough to reach reproductive age, how do they plan on having this trait gain dominance?

They dont

They would have to breed normal mosquitos continually and mass produce them as needed..

:/

Hence while this is a great idea its still limited in the scope of the job at hand. Still it should be worth it to at least reduce populations in human occupied areas.

It's great that they finally got approval to try this here.

For those with doubts, I suggest reading this great New Yorker piece on the same company from a few years ago: Here

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Just in case it wasn't already made clear: ONLY female mosquitoes actually bite people, so releasing a bunch of new males can't really have a negative impact one way or another.

Unless of a course an animal that eats male mosquitoes begins to thrive in greater numbers and destroys us.

Vyrance

I believe they performed something similar in Brazil recently with another type of mosquito and saw pretty good success

Pejo

Now what happens when Florida Man is arrested for having sex with the genetically modified mosquitoes?

Also, good. I hate mosquitoes so much. And Gnats while i'm at it.

Kettch

Just in case it wasn't already made clear: ONLY female mosquitoes actually bite people, so releasing a bunch of new males can't really have a negative impact one way or another.

Yeah, and the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park can't mate either. I've seen this before!

Damn it Science! Can't you see what this will do to Mosquito culture?! Mosquitos feeling like they have no choice but to join a mercenary group called "The Blood Pack" because they know they'll never have kids.

Stet

Banned
Uhh...

The trait doesn't gain dominance. Each generation will have fewer and fewer viable offspring as the modified males outcompete the naturally born males.

It's a continual intervention, but it seriously cuts down on the size of the population.

The top level explanation of this is scary to people, but there isn't a pathway for this to spread outside of what is put into effect manually.

The strategy is to release this one generation sterilizes/development inhibitors into a local, human dense area. Not to try to drive mosquitoes to extinction. This is actually really important with the incredibly high rates of malaria and dengue fever in some areas of the world.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Florida...
Injecting mosquito eggs with synthetic DNA...
Releasing sufficient numbers...

This is going to end badly.

How do you perceive this ending badly? What do you think will happen that isn't already bad? Mosquitoes spread disease like crazy.

Con_Smith

Banned
Fuck those things man, those and roaches both. I took a little walk outside with my kid this morning and had to punch one from landing on his head.

Toxi

Banned
Man that's awesome. Kill all mosquitos
This isn't going to kill all mosquitoes, this is going to kill many of the species Aedes aegypti, an extremely widespread invasive species that is a vector for many diseases.

So many people don't seem to get this when talking about genetic mosquito control.
The top level explanation of this is scary to people, but there isn't a pathway for this to spread outside of what is put into effect manually.

The strategy is to release this one generation sterilizes/development inhibitors into a local, human dense area. Not to try to drive mosquitoes to extinction. This is actually really important with the incredibly high rates of malaria and dengue fever in some areas of the world.
This too. Just significantly reducing the number of those mosquitoes is going to have an immense positive effect and is much easier than spreading genetically modified ones over a larger area. Less mosquitoes that can transmit diseases next to people means less chance of the remaining disease vectors biting infected people.

PSqueak

Banned
This isn't going to kill all mosquitoes, this is going to kill many of the species Aedes aegypti, an extremely widespread invasive species that is a vector for many diseases.

So many people don't seem to get this when talking about genetic mosquito control.

Oh, this changes everything, then this asshole species is already disrupting shit in the enviroment,eh?

Yeah, get rid of them.

Toxi

Banned
Oh, this changes everything, then this asshole species is already disrupting shit in the enviroment,eh?

Yeah, get rid of them.
They almost exclusively bite people. They probably don't affect the rest of the environment much.

But I think giving people dengue fever is a pretty good reason to exterminate most of them. Genetic control does the job with none of the collateral damage of pesticides or draining.

Assuming they've actually done proper research into how this will affect the larger ecosystem, I'm all for this.

That's a big caveat, however.

OmegaX

I don't understand this plan: If these modified mosquitoes have a gene that doesn't let them reach adulthood, how are they going to breed to pass on that gene?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom