• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Company of Heroes 2 |OT| The Motherland is Calling - [Western Front Armies out now]

Scotch

I have to admit, I get stressed with multiplayer too. Embarrassingly so, and I don't know why. I'm generally a pretty competitive gamer and I don't like to lose, the problem is all my skill is with FPS's. I've done years of competitive FPS, and even at my advanced age of 38 I still mop up the pubs pretty well. Enter RTS's, a genre I have all the respect in the world for, and a genre I very much like to play. The problem is, I'm just not good at them. I don't have the right mind for RTS. So during CoH multiplayer, whenever those loading bars were filling up, I got stressed out and anxious. As a result I never did play much random online. I had a few friends that played quite a bit, and playing with them was never an issue.
You're describing me to a tee. I guess it's the fact that when I get shot in an FPS, I only lose maybe 60 seconds. When I die in an RTS, I just lost 20 minutes plus I let my teammates down. It makes me feel embarrassed somehow.

So yeah, mainly interested in CoH2 for the singleplayer. It's disheartening to hear it's not getting well received. The original CoH's campaign was great fun, not for the story, but it had fun missions. With the expansions the singleplayer went downhill, but I was hoping CoH2 would be a return to form.

Sethos

Banned
aw man. But these are all the games I really care about!!! well in addition to others too of course

Oh yeah, we're a little group that loves those games but start a thread with any of it, news, general discussion etc. and they will be on constant life-support. It's sad.

By the way, anyone up for a 1v1 or something, some day? Mainly new guys, people that aren't great etc. because I'm not that great either -- I'm pretty rubbish actually. I know tactics, I know kinda-of what to do but actually performing it? I'm like a dog in a straitjacket. So a nice game without trash talking and that competitive atmosphere. Just a relaxed 1v1 session.

( Preferably people with decent computers and connections, can't stand those players with awful ass computers that lag up every game ).

I have to admit, I get stressed with multiplayer too. Embarrassingly so, and I don't know why. I'm generally a pretty competitive gamer and I don't like to lose, the problem is all my skill is with FPS's. I've done years of competitive FPS, and even at my advanced age of 38 I still mop up the pubs pretty well. Enter RTS's, a genre I have all the respect in the world for, and a genre I very much like to play. The problem is, I'm just not good at them. I don't have the right mind for RTS. So during CoH multiplayer, whenever those loading bars were filling up, I got stressed out and anxious. As a result I never did play much random online. I had a few friends that played quite a bit, and playing with them was never an issue.

I suppose there's comp stomp, but I agree with Sethos, the AI just doesn't employ the kind of variety and tactics that a human does, so I kind of see it as pointless (other than for honing build orders and stuff).

You're describing me to a tee. I guess it's the fact that when I get shot in an FPS, I only lose maybe 60 seconds. When I die in an RTS, I just lost 20 minutes plus I let my teammates down. It makes me feel embarrassed somehow.

So yeah, mainly interested in CoH2 for the singleplayer. It's disheartening to hear it's not getting well received. The original CoH's campaign was great fun, not for the story, but it had fun missions. With the expansions the singleplayer went downhill, but I was hoping CoH2 would be a return to form.

I'm not 38 but that story is pretty close to me as well. I have a good amount of proficiency with shooters, first- and third-person affairs, but even though I like RTS games I'm not overly good at them. I manage alright and have fun with the campaigns but my skill is nowhere near a competitive level.

Seeing as I'm used to winning and doing well for myself in shooters I don't want to grind out all of the hours needed to come to that point in RTS games too. I'd rather just stick to shooters for my competitive multiplayer needs.

Mazdarati

Neo Member
Oh yeah, we're a little group that loves those games but start a thread with any of it, news, general discussion etc. and they will be on constant life-support. It's sad.

By the way, anyone up for a 1v1 or something, some day? Mainly new guys, people that aren't great etc. because I'm not that great either -- I'm pretty rubbish actually. I know tactics, I know kinda-of what to do but actually performing it? I'm like a dog in a straitjacket. So a nice game without trash talking and that competitive atmosphere. Just a relaxed 1v1 session.

( Preferably people with decent computers and connections, can't stand those players with awful ass computers that lag up every game ).

This is the part that I've had bad luck with...
Unless I'm playing with friends, I invariably get sore losers or poor winners who type messages that really make me never want to play with random people again. I don't mind that kind of nonsense in an fps, but it's different in an rts to me for some reason.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Recommendations based on lots and lots of gameplay in the beta, the campaign, and ToW (pre-release press build):

• Overclock your CPU - game is CPU-bound, so even a small OC can dramatically increase frame rates.
  • Leave AA on Low. Higher levels offer diminishing returns and sap your FPS. Can also try using injected SMAA (DX11 version)
  • High Snow enables DX11 tessellation. It looks good, but uses a ton of performance.
  • Play at 2560x1440. The 1920x1080 HUD is humongous :|
  • Rank up your profile in Theater of War mode before going online. Beta players will likely have the Tiger now and that's a tough nut to crack. Also, it's far easier to complete the unit card challenges in ToW.

Sethos

Banned
[*]Play at 2560x1440. The 1920x1080 HUD is humongous :|[/LIST]

Eh, doesn't really help. Playing in 2560x1600 and it's still the size of a small country.

But thanks for the heads up on the others.

NOW I WISH I HAD THAT SHADOWPLAY FROM NVIDIA HOWEVER, THAT WOULD BE REALLY GREAT WHEN THE GAME IS RELEASED.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Eh, doesn't really help. Playing in 2560x1600 and it's still the size of a small country.

But thanks for the heads up on the others.

NOW I WISH I HAD THAT SHADOWPLAY FROM NVIDIA HOWEVER, THAT WOULD BE REALLY GREAT WHEN THE GAME IS RELEASED.

Shadowplay: getting nearer, but still got some work to do on it. No point putting it out before it's ready :)

sp3000

I suppose so, just think of Gaf as a rather diverse and populous place usually. Suppose it is a lot of the same people in the RTS and sim threads :D

I certainly don't think the game is in dire straights though, just figured there'd be more people pumped here.

Most of this forum doesn't play anything except console games and whatever AAA and indie garbage is produced for them. It's not diverse at all.

Go on somethingawful and there is a pretty huge following for this.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I take it the Beta client is just going to switch to retail when the game launches?

Addnan

Is the benchmark representative of how the game plays? Haven't tried much of the game yet, just trying to get a nice setting before i start.

at 1920x1080 the UI is huge, wtf lol. With AA set to low, snow medium, physics mediums, v-sync on. Average 51.35, minimum 37.4.

Downsampled from 1440, with AA off, snow low, physics mediums, v-sync on, average was slightly lower, but the minimum dropped to 25.

3570K @4.5, GTX 770.

Tak3n

Banned
I take it the Beta client is just going to switch to retail when the game launches?

yeah, that is usually how it works, all gets done in the background, I have to say I am surprised we are allowed to carry over our levels from the Beta....

I played a level 1 the other day (I am currently level 29) and I just steam rolled over them.... I did not think levels had a great deal to do with things, but you get unlocks etc which make you more powerful

AndyBNV

Nvidia

I expect there to be a sizable extra download when it does, as my press build is 11GB and the current beta is 7.5.

I played a level 1 the other day (I am currently level 29) and I just steam rolled over them.... I did not think levels had a great deal to do with things, but you get unlocks etc which make you more powerful

There is an invisible player skill ranking system running in the background that should match you with players of comparable skill when the game launches and there's a larger player base. [The XP display and rank on the top right merely shows your progression through the game's unlock system]

Tak3n

Banned
I expect there to be a sizable extra download when it does, as my press build is 11GB and the current beta is 7.5.

There is an invisible player skill ranking system running in the background that should match you with players of comparable skill when the game launches and there's a larger player base. [The XP display and rank on the top right merely shows your progression through the game's unlock system]

is there a way to report people, we juat played a game with a guy being constantly abusive

It took me longer to post this than to finish the download. I love Steam and digital distribution.

capture5ejh6.png

Is that your first game on steam :D?

and yeah, it always pushed my internet right to the limit. Love it.

Nah man, I just like to hide the games that are not installed. Currently 60 in my library but many are redundant (GTA for Mac as well as PC) and old shit from like the Half-Life 1 era.

Addnan

Nah man, I just like to hide the games that are not installed. Currently 60 in my library but many are redundant (GTA for Mac as well as PC) and old shit from like the Half-Life 1 era.
Ah, didn't see the installed tab
Download speed goes to crap during summer/winter sales though. :p
Last winter was good, sales before that though lol. Could barely get them to start.

Man I'm loving the game. I was in the closed beta and was not impressed, felt like diablo 3, trying too hard to change a lot of the core. Now the open beta is fantastic.

There's still a little bit of lame unit but everything can be countered. German's tank arsenal is fearful, I play soviets mostly, t34 is such a wuss, dies way too easily. It costs a ton of money too. it's like a 3 shot of a tank, panzer IV is so much improved over VCOH. SU85 is sweet though, I love that thing. So much strategy, love it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The UI is still my biggest complaint, really surprised it hasn't really changed over the beta.

Paches

Really loving this game so far. I was a long time COH player (probably 3-400 hours in total) and this has got the same core experience with a few nice modifications to keep it fresh.

Man I'm loving the game. I was in the closed beta and was not impressed, felt like diablo 3, trying too hard to change a lot of the core. Now the open beta is fantastic.

Wholeheartedly agree. The closed beta still had some jank and it didn't feel right. A lot of polish was apparently being done because the open beta is a world of difference.

There's still a little bit of lame unit but everything can be countered. German's tank arsenal is fearful, I play soviets mostly, t34 is such a wuss, dies way too easily. It costs a ton of money too. it's like a 3 shot of a tank, panzer IV is so much improved over VCOH. SU85 is sweet though, I love that thing. So much strategy, love it.

I play German with my teammates almost exclusively (2v2 and 3v3 arranged team), and I find that the medium tank destroyers are Panther crushers as long as the Soviet's don't commit with them and keep them back. The biggest problem players we face continue to have is trying to break your army instead of sitting back and entrenching on the opposing team's resources. The SU85's artillery barrage and the ramming maneuver is a real bitch, though :p

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I play German with my teammates almost exclusively (2v2 and 3v3 arranged team), and I find that the medium tank destroyers are Panther crushers as long as the Soviet's don't commit with them and keep them back. The biggest problem players we face continue to have is trying to break your army instead of sitting back and entrenching on the opposing team's resources. The SU85's artillery barrage and the ramming maneuver is a real bitch, though :p

I'm going to stick with Soviet I think, German is fun but their armor is pretty ridiculous - I get a bigger thrill out of managing some scrappy squads to take out tanks though.

That ramming maneuver is dope as hell, but lategame getting it close enough to a Panther is a pain in the ass.

FGMPR

Banned
My biggest problem with this game is easily the camera. You just can't zoom out enough to feel like you are ever getting a proper overview, and the only way to fast pan the camera is with the middle mouse button, which feels awful.

Why the fuck can't you re-bind your keys? I can't even set my mouse buttons to do anything :(

Druz

I suppose there's comp stomp, but I agree with Sethos, the AI just doesn't employ the kind of variety and tactics that a human does, so I kind of see it as pointless (other than for honing build orders and stuff).

You need friends with patience. Losing turns into winning after a bunch of games. Happened with me and COH1. We hated the beta but we learned from our mistakes and ended up being nearly unbeatable on the COH scene in team matches. Only a small handful of players could make us worry.

1v1s will always be stressful so I avoid them for now. You just have to realize it's okay to lose. Something I still struggle with.

FGMPR

Banned
Holy shit at that day 1 DLC.

Jesus Sega, couldn't you wait just a little while before dumping dozens of $3.50 vehicle skins, doctrines and commander tactics on Steam?

Druz

whats wrong with the ui?

Takes up a ton of the screen.

Pictures and graphics take a long time to get used to. A shield icon isn't really used for things that make you think "protection". Important elements of the UI like resources are not large enough to just glance at and know you're in the clear. Tiny tiny buttons that barely show you can select idle soldiers/tanks.

TLDR: Lots of wasted space pretty much. UI designer is second rate and played Dawn of War not COH1, whoever they are.

Holy shit at that day 1 DLC.

Jesus Sega, couldn't you wait just a little while before dumping dozens of $3.50 vehicle skins, doctrines and commander tactics on Steam?

Not that it makes it any better, but I think that is the Collector's Edition DLC.

bro1

Banned
Is the benchmark representative of how the game plays? Haven't tried much of the game yet, just trying to get a nice setting before i start.

at 1920x1080 the UI is huge, wtf lol. With AA set to low, snow medium, physics mediums, v-sync on. Average 51.35, minimum 37.4.

Downsampled from 1440, with AA off, snow low, physics mediums, v-sync on, average was slightly lower, but the minimum dropped to 25.

3570K @4.5, GTX 770.

I pretty much have the same setup as you, just running at 4.2, and this is disappointing to say the least. You would think we could max it all out and still get 60fps

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I pretty much have the same setup as you, just running at 4.2, and this is disappointing to say the least. You would think we could max it all out and still get 60fps

He has VSync on, so his max frame rate is 60 FPS (unless he has a 120Hz monitor), so that'll drag his average way down.

Sethos

Banned
Awww lame, can't even do a regular AI Skirmish match with the VPN trick. Don't want to touch that Campaign crap :(

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Awww lame, can't even do a regular AI Skirmish match with the VPN trick. Don't want to touch that Campaign crap :(

Did you go into Offline mode? Game requires a connection to Steam so I could see that being an issue.

Staying connected to FlyVPN is allowing me to play every mode here.

Sethos

Banned
Eh, don't want to mess about. It's unlocking here in 6 hours, might as well wait.

Also, glad I pre-ordered it on Steam for the spearhead doctrine. Then I don't have to wait until level 45 for the Tiger <3

Sanjay

whats wrong with the ui?

coh.jpg

Just look at this, I don't want a desription of the unit, just give me its raw data. Like above and how well they do against each other type of units and if they pick items up how much of an improvement it is in the 10 point scale given.

reliccoh2_2013_06_24_ndjgl.png

I also don't like how you have to hover over a unit see its kills page. I know it shows unit kills total though.

Top Bottom