• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Company of Heroes 2 |OT| The Motherland is Calling - [Western Front Armies out now]

Coflash

Given Relic's willingness to patch vCoH you honestly think this won't have extensive post-launch support?

Where did I say that they wouldn't? It launched today, not 2 weeks from now where it may or may not have a patch that fixes anything.

It also reminds me of the Beta phase, there's always some apologists defending the developers mediocre efforts:

"Performance sucks!"

"Um, it's a beta"

*Full release, inevitably, as predicted, it still sucks just as bad*. Now that the Beta excuse is out the door, it's moved onto having to wait for patches. This is inexcusable.

Addnan

What settings are you exactly using, because that does seem very low. I don't play at 1440, but just ran a quick test at it to see how it performs.

Thats on a 3570K and 1 770. Using 320.18 drivers and 3570K@4.5

1440p

Settings. http://abload.de/img/settings1440k3s17.jpg

Results. http://abload.de/img/1440pf8svo.jpg

at 1080p

settings http://abload.de/img/1080psettingsptshf.jpg

Results. http://abload.de/img/resultsbes7j.jpg

The performance in the campaign is much better than what I get in the benchmark too.

FGMPR

Banned
Where did I say that they wouldn't? It launched today, not 2 weeks from now where it may or may not have a patch that fixes anything.

It also reminds me of the Beta phase, there's always some apologists defending the developers mediocre efforts:

"Performance sucks!"

"Um, it's a beta"

*Full release, inevitably, as predicted, it still sucks just as bad*. Now that the Beta excuse is out the door, it's moved onto having to wait for patches. This is inexcusable.

It's completely reasonable to not expect a beta to be optimized. People aren't apologists because you were correct this one time.

Coflash

I have the same settings as this screen you posted:

http://abload.de/img/settings1440k3s17.jpg

Except I have snow detail and anti-aliasing set to low

I even tried the latest 320.39 drivers here just now:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379742

No difference

People aren't apologists because you were correct this one time.

You're right, that's not why, it's because they can't wait to quote "It's a beta!" like they have some sort of understanding of how the development phase works. When you're at the end of a Beta that has continually been updated without any performance increases, you can bet your arse that the performance is still going to suck in the full release.

Lo and behold ^^^^^^

ikioi

Banned
Almost impossible to max out. Turn down the AA and snow effects.

The game is very CPU heavy, give that a little overclock if you haven't already.

Can people please stop posting this crud.

The game may be somewhat CPU heavy, but that is not the reason behind why many of us are experiencing appauling performance. The real issue appears to be that the game is it's not utilizing hardware resources efficiently and appears to have pretty inefficient code in many areas.

As i said a few posts above, i'm running a i7 3930k. I've even run perfmon logging in the background logging CPU, I/O, interupts, memory, pagefile, HDD, and various other counters. There is nothing i'm seeing in perfmon logs to suggest this game is maxing out my CPU's resources, or is bound by memory, I/O, or storage bandwidth.

A hex core CPU with 12 threads, clocked at 3.8GHz, backed by 16 gigabytes of quad channel DDR3 2133mhz ram, 680GTX, which is then supported by a Sandisk Extreme SSD. Tried under both Win8 and Win7 and logged with perfmon, same results across both OSs. Latest Nvidia drivers, Windows updates, latest intel chipset drivers, latest bios, my entire system is watercooled and temperates are absolutely not a concern.

The performance issues in my case can be attributed to the game. Not my hardware or underlying operating system configuration.

Your sollution to overclock is not a sollution, nor is it identifying the route cause. No shit if i overclock my CPU it's going to run the game better. This isn't evidence however that it's my CPU that's the problem. Rather overlocking allows allows my CPU to run COH2's inefficient and unoptimised code faster, which nets be better performance as a result. That doesn't resolve the fact that its Relic's code that's the true cause of the problem. Overclocking just helps my CPU brute force its way through.

I have confidence Relic will fix this isuse. But CPU Bound my ass.

Addnan

Was I wrong. It's not possible to play the game on high settings right now. Whatever the reason for that I don't know..

Edit: and about the CPU bound, just reporting what I have read.

Aselith

So I just tried this tonight and you can't change key bindings? What in the fucking world did I step back in time 15 years?

A few select paragraphs from the Quarter to Three review by Tom Chick. I actually recommend reading it, he makes a bunch of valid points about why he doesn't like the game. Don't fixate on 1/5. (btw, I still miss GFW almost every day... why so low?)

Company of Heroes 2 might be the steepest tumble from game design genius to crassly missing the point that I’ve ever seen. For starters, there’s basically nothing new here. In terms of the gameplay, this is Company of Heroes 1 all over again. The same resource model, the same victory condition, the same faction concepts (Germany is still Germany, of course, but Russia is basically the US), the same types of maps, the same unit dynamics, and even the same graphics, but with inexplicably stratospheric system requirements[...]
What makes this particularly galling is that Company of Heroes 1 holds up so well. I’m still having a grand time playing Company of Heroes. Do Sega and Relic really expect us to pay for a boondoggle this riddled with DLC shaped holes?

Twinduct

Meh, think I'm waiting for a price drop. The beta made me weary and can't justify paying full price for what seems to be a variation of the current game. Kinda sad really, looked forward to this until the beta.

Will join you gents down the line.

FGMPR

Banned
Not even outside of the game?

Surely not. Even Men of War and other cheaper titles let you do that

Yep. It's the same with every Relic title since DoW 1 (I'm pretty sure). Same with the camera being pulled in too close. At this point it has to be a design decision, but I can't see how they could justify it if it was.

So does this play more like vCoH rather than the expansion? vCoH was one of my favorite games of all time, but the expansion ruined it imo.

Tak3n

Banned
For a CoH game this seems to have attracted a terrible community already, not on GAF but in game. Full of aggressive dudebros.

I had the biggest idiot in a game yesterday, he just kept calling people "nooblets" (whatever that means) and spamming the signal..

In the end I literally stopped playing, but refused to quit, which wound him up even more, and he just kept spamming the main chat blaming me...

could not defend myself as I could not figure out how to talk to [all] all I ever got was [team]

TaroYamada

Disappointing to hear Relic hasn't gotten with the times on keybinding, guess I'll need to wait for a gridkeys mod like I used in CoH.

Should I play the campaign on hard? Started off on the normal difficulty just because that's what I tend to do in RTS games but the first mission was super easy.

I honestly think the game looks really good but explosions send the framerate crashing to absurd levels that I don't think are justified.

Also, am I missing something or during the campaign can you only exit to windows and not the main menu? Wanted to start over on hard but surrender was blocked out.

Sethos

Banned
Really having fun with the game. Despite being a German player, over the past few weeks I've really taken a liking to the Russians. They just have a ton of great units that toe-to-toe will not be able to stand up against the German stuff but you just get more of it, you need to focus more on your tactics and position, get those AT mines down, get AT guns out quick, they have so much fun anti-infantry, especially in terms of artillery from AT guns and their versatile Su-76s -- Really love those, too bad their AT abilities are a bit crap.

Already there's a huge sway towards everyone being Germans online.

EDIT:

Actually it might have just been the 2 times I've tried to find a game this morning.

Sethos

Banned
Already there's a huge sway towards everyone being Germans online.

Mainly because they are easier to play, you can bog down and just wait for your armour to roll out. Soviets on the other hand requires a lot more skill to master, from what I've seen so far.

However it may not be as bad, even during the Alpha / Beta when the Germans were strong, the percentage on each side was pretty even.

Mainly because they are easier to play, you can bog down and just wait for your armour to roll out. Soviets on the other hand requires a lot more skill to master, from what I've seen so far.

However it may not be as bad, even during the Alpha / Beta when the Germans were strong, the percentage on each side was pretty even.

That seems to fit with the games I've played so far. Don't see any Germans for ages until suddenly... TANKS.

Sethos

Banned
Take map control, use your extra manpower to make a ton of AT guns and then layer them with overlapping fields of fire.

Eh? Manpower doesn't work like that any more. You get a fixed amount (+300) that decreases with upkeep. Only fuel and munitions increase with flags.

Tak3n

Banned
I hope they make it less obvious when you call in the big airstrikes... it takes a lot of commander points, and it does not come too often, yet when you call it in loads of flares land in the area and your opponent just spams retreat, and reverse their tanks

Sethos

Banned
Yea? I hadn't noticed that :eek:

Took me a while to figure out as well during the alpha. It's actually a great improvement. In vCoH, with more flags you'd increase your manpower and popcap, which means one player would suddenly be in snowball effect of getting more units than the opponents, then take more flags, THEN get more resources and units etc.

Now however, it's a fixed popcap and manpower count, so no mass unit production and more tactics with your individual units. So even when you are down, you are certainly not out.

I hope they make it less obvious when you call in the big airstrikes... it takes a lot of commander points, and it does not come too often, yet when you call it in loads of flares land in the area and your opponent just spams retreat, and reverse their tanks

Always worked like that and they definitely shouldn't remove it. You should be allowed to counter most of what the enemy throws at you, so you can actually be a skillful player to get out of situations. Then people that don't pay attention or suck will get punished. Being able to just sneak in airstrikes and artillery is cheap.

Most people are jumping straight into multiplayer but for people doing the campaign, any tips for the end of the second mission? They just seem to come in droves, I don't have enough men to cover both sides. Playing on expert so that might have something to do with it in terms of how many troops the enemy has.

Edit: Jesus, the steam forums are a hive of villainy and scum. Went to go see if anyone else was having difficulty and madness is in every dicussion thread. The developers should take cyanide apparently.

ikioi

Banned
Did some further testing to identify the poor performance i'm experiencing

As I thought all this talk of the game being stressful on CPUs and bound by CPU performance doesn't seem to hold up.

I monitored my in game CPU utilization in single player, online in 3vs3AI match, and in the graphical benchmark. The highest CPU utilization recorded was 27%.

Also just to really burry the claim I went ahead and booted back up my overclock. i7 3930k @ 4.5ghz. The jump from 3.8ghz to 4.5ghz didn't even net a frame per second difference.

Overclocked my 580GTX from its stock 783/2010mhz speeds up to 900/2200mhz, did however make a noticeable and significant improvement to frame rate.

Also monitoring the GPU usage during the demo it was basically running at 100% throughout the benchmark. 97-99% constantly.

Having run a number of benchmarks it seems aliasing and snow are the two single most taxing graphical settings in the game currently.

Aliasing disabled average fps 37.13, low 35.93fps, medium 25.62 fps, high 17.33

Snow also effected it quite significantly. Low 39.95 fps, medium 39.43 fps, high 35.38 fps.

Physics had absolutely no impact what so ever on frame rate. or CPU usage. Be it full, off, or somewhere in between.

So from everything I can see, this game doesn't appear CPU bounded at all. The hardest hit component in my PC was the GPU, and I put that down to immature driver support and Relic having what seems to be a pretty inefficient rendering engine.

Lucifon

Meh, think I'm waiting for a price drop. The beta made me weary and can't justify paying full price for what seems to be a variation of the current game. Kinda sad really, looked forward to this until the beta.

Will join you gents down the line.

My thoughts exactly too. Played a few hours of the beta and it really put me off the game. I loved CoH1 back in the day, but I really wasn't enjoying playing 2.

ikioi

Banned
Most people are jumping straight into multiplayer but for people doing the campaign, any tips for the end of the second mission? They just seem to come in droves, I don't have enough men to cover both sides. Playing on expert so that might have something to do with it in terms of how many troops the enemy has.

I had no issues with the second mission, finished it on hardest difficulty.

Basic gist is to use the conscripts to continually reinforce the grenadier units. Don't let your 4 elite squads die .

The part with setting houses on fire and the cap points I think was simple enough, I just did it with all my units moving together in one massive group.

The final part where you're rushed by armour I retreated all my units back to the HQ. Mined the side road and main road to help counter vehicles. Then placed my 4 elite squads around the HQ protected by sandbags and other defensive walls. The elite squads were in range of the HQ so I could resupply them with new soldiers if they lost any, and they were also getting healed from the HQ's medical upgrade.

Edit: Jesus, the steam forums are a hive of villainy and scum. Went to go see if anyone else was having difficulty and madness is in every dicussion thread. The developers should take cyanide apparently.[/QUOTE]

Tak3n

Banned

Edit: Jesus, the steam forums are a hive of villainy and scum. Went to go see if anyone else was having difficulty and madness is in every dicussion thread. The developers should take cyanide apparently.

If I am correct it is protect them from getting to your supply trucks etc...

Your enginners can build mines, that was key, I was constantly placing mines to deal with the trucks

Played skirmish, one with and one without another human player by my side. It's ok, better than it was in Alpha at any rate. Maybe it just takes some getting used to but I can't shake the feeling that the game is much less "responsive" and this has nothing to do with framerate or anything else. It just feels like I have less control over everything, and I'm having trouble putting it into words.

Pooya

Played skirmish, one with and one without another human player by my side. It's ok, better than it was in Alpha at any rate. Maybe it just takes some getting used to but I can't shake the feeling that the game is much less "responsive" and this has nothing to do with framerate or anything else. It just feels like I have less control over everything, and I'm having trouble putting it into words.

maybe slow unit animations?

I had no issues with the second mission, finished it on hardest difficulty.

Basic gist is to use the conscripts to continually reinforce the grenadier units. Don't let your 4 elite squads die .
=

Yeah, I think restart. Somehow I had two of my shock troops die before getting to the last section. Rookie mistakes all around :D

If I am correct it is protect them from getting to your supply trucks etc...

Your enginners can build mines, that was key, I was constantly placing mines to deal with the trucks

Yeah, wasn't having any issues with that. Managed to destroy all trucks nearly every time, it was mopping up the last enemy troops with only a few conscript squads left. The obvious issue being now that I realized it that my shock troops(except one unit) died earlier in the mission.

Edit: Now that I remember I think I accidentally set them on fire, lol.

Not done with the second mission yet, saved and quit just before the "lay mines" part. Will take "spam mines" recommendation for when I continue. I actually tried the Twitch thing, works very well. Didn't even have an account before today. I don't have any prospects of becoming a 'real' broadcaster, mainly did it for the upcoming Xbox One integration. I think that'll be awesome (since all my friends are on XBL).

Tak3n

Banned
Not done with the second mission yet, saved and quit just before the "lay mines" part. Will take "spam mines" recommendation for when I continue. I actually tried the Twitch thing, works very well. Didn't even have an account before today. I don't have any prospects of becoming a 'real' broadcaster, mainly did it for the upcoming Xbox One integration. I think that'll be awesome (since all my friends are on XBL).

Make sure you do as the trucks keep rolling in, I was even laying mines around my base as they got that close, I managed to finish the quest with 1 engineer left, everyone else was sadly dead...

I simply am a terrible player, but I enjoy it

So is there any real chance of massive framerate gains in the near future? It just seems bizarre how poorly it runs at times, a GTX670 should be getting more than 15 FPS when looking at a fire :/

Sethos

Banned
So is there any real chance of massive framerate gains in the near future? It just seems bizarre how poorly it runs at times, a GTX670 should be getting more than 15 FPS when looking at a fire :/

Yeah, I'm sure they will optimize. vCoH went through the same afaik.

longdi

Banned
Played the open beta with 7970 and it ran fine. Maybe it is the video memory thrashing on 2gb cards? My GPU-z shows 2.2-2.5gb of used ram when running 1920x1200 and all settings maxxxed besides AA(low) and game resolution (100%).

The ingame benchmark gave me 45fps average.
Playing MP and Skirmish, no bad slowdowns noted.

Volodja

Played the first mission.
The framerate was acceptable while playing I guess, the Test gave me an average of 37 fps, with a low of 5 (that I didn't really see, must have been a transition) and lowering the settings only helped by rising the minimum to 14 but it lowered the average to 34.
Outside of that I have to say that the font used for most narration and in some menus, the theme, the music and some menu graphics are giving me gigantic Red Orchestra 2 flashbacks.

Yeah, I'm sure they will optimize. vCoH went through the same afaik.

Maybe, I didn't care as much about performance and the like back then so I might have just not noticed. Plus my dad had just helped me build a new PC around that time. Can't believe it's been 7 years.

Played the open beta with 7970 and it ran fine. Maybe it is the video memory thrashing on 2gb cards? My GPU-z shows 2.2-2.5gb of used ram when running 1920x1200 and all settings maxxxed besides AA(low) and game resolution (100%).

I don't know, I have a 4 GB card and I'm still running into issues. Is it a game optimized for AMD? With AA at max(probably the main offender) as well as everything else my benchmark average is 22.5 frames :/

But yeah, 4GB GTX670SC and an I5-3570K@4.2

AllenShrz

I have the 7090 ghz ed and I play this maxed out 1920 x 1200, vsync on and low AA (haven't tired higher) and I have locked 60 fps on 1vs1 and 2vs2 multiplayer, higher than that and I start to get into the 40 or 30sh fps.

I wonder why it runs one some other computers bad as they claim. Maybe their pcs are not to the task and lowering the settings is due to come.

Sethos

Banned
I wonder why it runs one some other computers bad as they claim. Maybe their pcs are not to the task and lowering the settings is due to come.

No. The game is poorly optimized, that's it.

Unless you want to tell me my 3930k @ 4.5 and 2 x Titans needs to sometimes hit 30FPS on a game running a 7 year old engine and the previous game ran just fine.

Top Bottom