• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conan O'Brien's new travel series trailer

Tieno

I've been enjoying the podcast clips immensely on youtube. It shows that Conan is as funny as he ever was, if not more. He's too good for the late night format, good that he moved on to better things.
Looking forward to this.

GeekyDad

Well, came in excited, leaving disappointed. That trailer just talked me out of this show. Seems it's for a much younger audience.

Enjoy.

Billbofet

I think Conan is a comic genius, but after seeing "Conan O'Brien Can't Stop" a few years back, I just haven't cared to follow him any more. He came off as a huge asshole to me. Still might check this out, but that documentary really soured me on him.

CGNoire

The best part of Conan's late night shows was always the remote segments. TV execs finally wised up and cut out all the other irrelevant fat like topical monologues and boring celebrity interviews and made a show out of it. It looks promising.

Conan is awesome as always and he shines the most in these remote segments. Cause of that Im sure this will be great and alot of fun but....

....whoever put this trailer together made it look boring as fuck and whoever chose that music for it should be shot.

Last edited:

CGNoire

I think Conan is a comic genius, but after seeing "Conan O'Brien Can't Stop" a few years back, I just haven't cared to follow him any more. He came off as a huge asshole to me. Still might check this out, but that documentary really soured me on him.
What happened?
What did he do?

Billbofet

Nothing specific that I recall. I just felt like I had had enough after that and really haven't watched his stuff since.

What happened?
What did he do?
He grew up in a large family with a bunch of brothers who showed affection through roughhousing and humor, so he literally punches his writers in the arm, and makes fun of them. I really don't think it's intentionally malicious, but it struck me as completely inappropriate and unprofessional as well.

jonnyp

Pretty sure Conan brought most of his staff with him from NY to California for the Tonight Show and supported them out of his own pocket when it abruptly ended. He also paid like 70 people a full salary out of his own pocket during the writer's strike in 2007. What an asshole indeed...

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I've soured on Conan a little over the past however many years. Gut tells me he's "washed". But maybe I'll check this out because Conan going out into the world was typically comedy gold.

mr t conan obrien GIF by Team Coco

Man, I eat trees!

Pretty sure Conan brought most of his staff with him from NY to California for the Tonight Show and supported them out of his own pocket when it abruptly ended. He also paid like 70 people a full salary out of his own pocket during the writer's strike in 2007. What an asshole indeed...
No one should be thought of solely in terms of their worst moments or best moments. Still, my respect for him fell considerably after his writing fell away from the sort of "take no prisoners / we make fun of everyone" mentality from his early to mid career, and became the same divisive us vs them garbage that every late night show pushes these days.

He lost a LOT of his best writers towards the last several years, and it showed.

I noticed Conan has his own channel on Samsung TV. Only checked out one 'episode' but it seems to be edited interviews from the past? Idk, I was very confused.

Tams

US late night shows are all shite. But Conan was the most bearable and sometimes even funny.

I too think he does better away from them.

Sonik

US late night shows are all shite. But Conan was the most bearable and sometimes even funny.

I too think he does better away from them.

The only genuinely funny late night host was Craig Ferguson. I still watch some of his old shows on youtube, the dude was genuinely hilarious and could create comedy out of thin air every day, he would pretty much improvise the vast majority of his show

Top Bottom