• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONCACAF Gold Cup | 7-26 July 2015 | The Ecstasy of Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrikan

It wasn't a penalty but "Dr Joe" is often wrong. He's retired for a reason :p

and the Univision Commentators?

again when you see who sees it which way, compared to the other side... there sure seems to be a huge difference with experience and credibility.

Let's not go crazy here, Guatemala played bunkerball the whole match and Cuba was... Cuba.

Still playing awful, 6-0 against Cuba with lots and lots of missed changes, same with Guatemala. And that last game against Trinidad y Tobago. If you could get negative points on performance, I bet we could have got into negative numbers.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Still playing awful, 6-0 against Cuba with lots and lots of missed changes, same with Guatemala. And that last game against Trinidad y Tobago. If you could get negative points on performance, I bet we could have got into negative numbers.

Playing awful, yes. But not worse than Cuba or Guatemala (or even Costa Rica).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Only two teams from the groups make it through. To say we shouldn't have advanced is hyperbole and very narrow-minded. You can make the argument that we were the third least "worst" team, but that still gives us the pass.

Also remember that Cuba went through as one of the best third placed teams.

a lot, next question.

Does Matt Geiger ref your games too? Just kidding. It's ok to differ even though I have no idea how it is possible. :p

Gomez saying he actually thought about retiring from football after this robbery. I know it is probably an exaggeration but it sucks seeing how fucking disappointed he is.

No. The commentators are pretty neutral on all matches, they dont have a hard on to hate on Mexico. But that call the ref was bullshit, everyone knows it. There is no "Salt". It was a shit call by the ref. Mexico played like shit and would have lost the match if it wasnt for the bad call.

Panama deserved to win. They were the better players tonight.

I wouldn't call them "neutral", they were quite cheerful at Panama every second and almost asking for Mexico to give up ("you can't be playing like this, go home (laughs)").

They were expecting Mexico Vs USA. And they got denied that. That's why I called salt. Maybe not the correct wording.

Hernan Dario is on point, watching his press conference right now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
CKjjeDRUwAAtmEH.jpg

You are welcome to watch the Pan American semis at 7:30 PM Central tomorrow. I imagine the Panamanians will give an incredible display after tonight.

Nerokis

The head official representative on FOX said it shouldn't have been a penalty. He has every reason to argue and protect his ref, but didn't. Usually even if there is a small window to protect their refs, they do so to save face....but from the moment it happened to even after the game when he could've looked at it over and over...he went on National Television again and still felt it wasn't a penalty.

Come on, man. It's perfectly reasonable to think it shouldn't have been a penalty, but you couldn't have picked a worse argument to go with. FOX had a pro-Panama narrative going almost the entire game, and even without that being the case, the "head official representative" on FOX reflexively deciding it shouldn't have been a penalty says nothing.

Only two teams from the groups make it through. To say we shouldn't have advanced is hyperbole and very narrow-minded. You can make the argument that we were the third least "worst" team, but that still gives us the pass.

Also remember that Cuba went through as one of the best third placed teams.

Playing awful, yes. But not worse than Cuba or Guatemala (or even Costa Rica).

You both are right, on the big scheme. I just don't like at all watching this joke of a team put together in order to sell team kits and get more Mexicans into paying a lot for crap games. Today it finally hit me, this play is just the America FC (I said that before), the play the same, they won against small team, and win cheating against the better teams.

You just wait, they will try to pull the same crap against in the WC Qualifiers: barely qualifying, and then "asking" for help to "that" team.

Darknight

I wouldn't call them "neutral", they were quite cheerful at Panama every second and almost asking for Mexico to give up ("you can't be playing like this, go home (laughs)").

They were expecting Mexico Vs USA. And they got denied that. That's why I called salt. Maybe not the correct wording.

Um did you watch the game or were you hurt about the commentary on the shit play Mexico was showcasing? Mexico was having a really hard time to get any shots on the goal. (they had like 3 corner kicks at min ~80 while Panama had like 8~9 since they kept on the attack)

Not only that, Vega dude elbowed some PAN guy which should have resulted in a red but instead that PAN dude got a red when it should have been a yellow. The game quickly was turning to shit against Panama in a very unfair manner.

Lets see, Panama is playing better, they lose a player yet Mexico is still playing terrible. Panama scores a goal while Mexico is not playing well and is at an advantage against 10 players. Only way for Mexico to have a "chance" at extra time is a free penalty given by a bad call.

There was good reason to be against Mexico this match. Put your bias aside for a second. I was rooting for Mexico. I really wanted them to win but after I witness that, I didnt support them any more.

Eila

Some of you are as blind as these refs are. His left elbow clearly touches the ball, nothing to do with the right hand.

Yes, there's one shot where this is clear. However, unintentional handball is not a penalty. That's when it gets hard to judge, although things are on his favor since he was falling down , it was the last minute and Mexico had gotten a penalty in a similar way the last match.

Totally off the topic of Panama, but what are people's thoughts on the USA and the defensive part of the squad. Not sure if it's been asked, but would Besler, Gonzalez or Ream have made a difference? The SKC fan in me is still bitter about Besler getting shafted because of Klinsmann's grudge -_-

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Man. You really heard what you wanted to hear from the commentators.

v1lla21

Yes, there's one shot where this is clear. However, unintentional handball is not a penalty. That's when it gets hard to judge, although things are on his favor since he was falling down , it was the last minute and Mexico had gotten a penalty in a similar way the last match.
Yup, not all handballs in the area are penalties. The fact that he started to go backwards, lands on the ball, and his elbow helps stop the ball is a clear retention of the game. Sorry, it's a penalty :/ no matter how shit Mexico was or the bad calls the ref made prior to the incident, the ref made the right call.

And the yellow that could've been a red.

And yes, for Liga MX/ Futbol thread
It could've but let's be honest, how many elbows and hits do we get during a corner and the whole game that go unnoticed?

That red card that Panama got wasnt red though. Huge fuck up. Is someone making the thread? Ill do it if no one else is up for it. I wont have it up until tomorrow though.

scabro

its a clear handball, but seemingly unintentional as he was falling down. ive seen penalties called for less, and clearer handballs not called at all. depends on how you see it.

Darknight

Yea the only wrong I saw was that the PAN leader fell back into the ball. He I think clearly knew he wanted to stop the play.

Also yea I wish ref's would get a small tablet device to see instant replay or something. I think American football is like that when they is an unsure call/play.

Nerokis

its a clear handball, but seemingly unintentional as he was falling down. ive seen penalties called for less, and clearer handballs not called at all. depends on how you see it.

Yep. It's a tough call. Looked to me like his instinct was to shield the ball with his body, and while the handball itself was unintentional, it was the result of a pretty risky maneuver. The "fall" was him twisting his body to get to the ball.

You don't want to see a team go down to 10 men with a very harsh red, do incredibly well, and then have a win stolen from them with a penalty. You also don't want to see a team go through two phases of a tournament thanks to penalty calls going in their favor. So to the extent that there's room for interpretation, you'd have hoped that, in this case, the ref would have been willing to let this one go. Still feels like the Panamanian player messed up, though.

Well it was refreshing to hear Guardado, he was so sad.

In short he said they played like shit, he did think about failing the pk but he is a professional and sometimes you're on the other side and the rival wont touch its hearth, and is easy to blame the players because they give the face.

He looked really sad before taking the 1st pk. I can't say I blame him for taking the pk as well as he could. The situation was not created by him. He can only play to the best of his ability out there.

alterno69

Banned
He and Guardado said "We knew it wasn't a pen, but refs have done unfair calls against us anyways so who cares"
No, Guardado said at the time he wasn't able to make a call, he didn't have replays in the field to know if the penalty was a right call or not.

Edit: Panama are being very short sighted about this thing thi, they still have the WC qualifiers to play, they might get very hard sanctions after this if they don't calm down.

scabro

Yep. It's a tough call. Looked to me like his instinct was to shield the ball with his body, and while the handball itself was unintentional, it was the result of a pretty risky maneuver. The "fall" was him twisting his body to get to the ball.

You don't want to see a team go down to 10 men with a very harsh red, do incredibly well, and then have a win stolen from them with a penalty. You also don't want to see a team go through two phases of a tournament thanks to penalty calls going in their favor. So to the extent that there's room for interpretation, you'd have hoped that, in this case, the ref would have been willing to let this one go. Still feels like the Panamanian player messed up, though.

https://vine.co/v/e6Y7FMZnPLq

look at this angle

its clear what hes doing. penalty all day.

not to say the ref wasn't terrible both ways. Vela should have been sent off. The guy from Panama who was sent off probably shouldn't have. Panama made tackles that should have been red or carded but werent. Same for Mexico. Clusterfuck all around

Tagyhag

At least now Mexico got the last laugh after so many "No era penal".

Unfortunately for Panama they had to be in the receiving end.

I understand their frustration but, it is just the Gold Cup.

Noshino

As he should. It's the players jobs to score goals, as shitty as they may come.

Thats a bullshit reason

We have such a thing as Fair Play, and its not unheard of to have players miss on penalties for the sake of being fair.

You can argue all you want that the main reason they go to play is to win, and its true, but if you are willing to take those unfair advantages for the sake of winning, then don't complain when people call you out on it.

No, Guardado said at the time he wasn't able to make a call, he didn't have replays in the field to know if the penalty was a right call or not.

Edit: Panama are being very short sighted about this thing thi, they still have the WC qualifiers to play, they might get very hard sanctions after this if they don't calm down.

Fuck that

This match would've for sure gotten them to the finals (and a chance to win for the first time), I would rather complain about that, than not complain in the hopes that they can even make it to the WC.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Thats a bullshit reason

We have such a thing as Fair Play, and its not unheard of to have players miss on penalties for the sake of being fair.

You can argue all you want that the main reason they go to play is to win, and its true, but if you are willing to take those unfair advantages for the sake of winning, then don't complain when people call you out on it.
Do you think the Panamanian striker would have thrown the penalty away if the situations were reversed?

EDIT: Never mind that Mexico has been on the receiving end of shitty ref calls a lot of times before.

jabuseika

Everyone worried about the gold cup.

I think the bigger news for Mexicans today was Tigres UANL making it to the Copa Libertadores Finals.

alterno69

Banned
Thats a bullshit reason

Fuck that

This match would've for sure gotten them to the finals (and a chance to win for the first time), I would rather complain about that, than not complain in the hopes that they can even make it to the WC.
Of course they should complain, Mexico had some shitty calls their way even in world cups but you can't call your confederation thieves, even if it's true, unless you are ready to face the sanctions that are sure to come.

Edit: I agree that no one should take this joke of a tournament seriously, the whole reason it exists is to make Concacaf huge amounts of money. When the whole tournament awards less than 2million in prizes and they make over 4 million on a single game, plus have it every two years, in the same country, you have to realize you're just being exploited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom