• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concords latest story trailer illustrates everything wrong with the game...

Do you agree with the premise posed in the OP?

• Yeah, that would have been way better.

• No, I don't think that's a problem.

Results are only viewable after voting.

AmuroChan

With Killzone and Resistence in their portfolio Sony decision to make this is just stupid.

If the last KZ and Resistance games actually sold well, there's no question that Sony would've continued to milk those series like they're milking Horizon now.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

If the last KZ and Resistance games actually sold well, there's no question that Sony would've continued to milk those series like they're milking Horizon now.
Well, Killzone and Resistence were PS3 exclusives, make those for PC and i m pretty sure that would have sold way more than concord atm.

IAmRei

Please, i dont think its only me who think concord deserve more than four threads in a week ... :/

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Well, Killzone and Resistence were PS3 exclusives, make those for PC and i m pretty sure that would have sold way more than concord atm.

Possible, but unlikely Sony is revisiting those IPs anytime soon. I think their goal with Firewalk was to try to create a new IP.

rlgf42.jpg

never put your money into anything with this coded color scheme
Goodbye Concord High

AmuroChan

Yeah, instead they create a Flop and possible another wave of layoffs, great achiviment.

Sure, but new IPs are inherently risky. For every one that succeeds, ten fails. So the same people that complain about too many sequels and remakes can't have it both ways. If they want new IPs, then they have to allow the developer to take that risk. Also, making KZ or Resistance vs Concord are not mutually exclusive choices. Firewalk making Concord doesn't preclude Sony from having another developer make a new Resistance game. If Concord fails and Firewalk closes down, that's not really on Sony. Firewalk was independent and already working on Concord before Sony purchased them. Concord wasn't a game that Sony came up with and then contracted Firewalk to work on it.

Sure, but new IPs are inherently risky. For every one that succeeds, ten fails. So the same people that complain about too many sequels and remakes can't have it both ways. If they want new IPs, then they have to allow the developer to take that risk. Also, making KZ or Resistance vs Concord are not mutually exclusive choices. Firewalk making Concord doesn't preclude Sony from having another developer make a new Resistance game. If Concord fails and Firewalk closes down, that's not really on Sony. Firewalk was independent and already working on Concord before Sony purchased them. Concord wasn't a game that Sony came up with and then contracted Firewalk to work on it.
If creating a new IP is risky, why are they doubling down on its failure by creating something no one asked for?

In this current political climate, I highly doubt they'd make a Resistance/Killzone game anyone would want.
Imagine:
- neon-coloured chimeras who enforce their own pronouns.
- Free Pales- I mean, Helghast!

No, I'd rather they don't touch those IPs for fear of... whatever that is.

AmuroChan

If creating a new IP is risky, why are they doubling down on its failure by creating something no one asked for?

Well, it's too late in the game (pun intended) for Concord. The game is about to come out. They're not going to cancel it at this point. Live service games is what Sony shareholders asked for, because they see that sweet Fortnite money and they want a piece of that live service pie. Remember, the priority of these gaming corporations is not to the gamers. It's to their shareholders. Gamers are secondary.

Last edited:
The unknown future rolls toward us. I face it, for the first time, with a sense of hope. Because if a Concordian, a bad character design, can learn the value of a player count during an open beta, maybe we can too.

Turns out a few dozen people were still interested in the game after the last Vignette, so they've released another one.

Honestly, these are the marketing equivalent of getting someones hand and punching them with it then asking them why they keep hitting themselves.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

looool

Pretty sure the Concord devs are overwhelmingly white (and it's the whitest thing on the planet to obsess over DEI, ironically).

But the "strong black woman" is such an identifiable magical fetish character now, the one that stands in for some kind of untouchable otherness of oppressed-but-sassy energy. It's a bit like gay men in prior decades aping and imitating the styles and even voices / affects of black diva women, but now it's white progressive women doing it in an even sadder form.

One new side effect of game development taking longer and longer, is that games become more and more out of touch and miss the boat on popular trends.

7 Years is now how it takes to make a proper AAA game. But nearly NOTHING trends long enough to still be relevant by the time you released a game based on it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
looool

Pretty sure the Concord devs are overwhelmingly white (and it's the whitest thing on the planet to obsess over DEI, ironically).

But the "strong black woman" is such an identifiable magical fetish character now, the one that stands in for some kind of untouchable otherness of oppressed-but-sassy energy. It's a bit like gay men in prior decades aping and imitating the styles and even voices / affects of black diva women, but now it's white progressive women doing it in an even sadder form.
Whenever studios do that giant company photo in the lobby, it falls into two camps.

1. If a Japanese studio does it (not often), it's all Japanese people. Makes sense since the country is very homogenous in demographic.

2. If a western studio does it (they probably all have at some point), it's probably 85% white, 10% Asian, 5% dark skinned backgrounds. And pending the studio, even 5% might be a stretch.

So it shows for all the DEI-ish products and promotions, their labour pool is nothing like it. My company isnt political in nature and I'd bet all my money we're more diverse than a studio promoting it. It doesnt matter which department you go to too (office departments or warehouse crew).

Figure that one out.

Last edited:
One new side effect of game development taking longer and longer, is that games become more and more out of touch and miss the boat on popular trends.

7 Years is now how it takes to make a proper AAA game. But nearly NOTHING trends long enough to still be relevant by the time you released a game based on it.
Tbh it has more to do with game looking gay as fuck and not that much with chasing trends

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Tbh it has more to do with game looking gay as fuck and not that much with chasing trends
Exactly.

That new Delta Force game is basically a Battlefield clone at heart. Alpha build had 600,000 people wishlisting on Steam.

You cant get more generic than modern warfare soldiers with tanks and helicopters duking it out to capture objective points for the millionth time. But some kinds of shooters and settings work. There's tried and true kind of settings in games, and also roll of the dice weird stuff which probably wont work. Works for quirky stuff like Balatro as an indie card game. Doesnt work for Concord as a shooter among tons of other shooters.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
LGBTQP+ people.

and this is the thing. There is nothing wrong with making something for a certain demographic. But the reception of this game shows one of two things:

1. That demographic is very small.
2. That they even failed to appeal to that demographic.
Yup.

There is nothing wrong with making a product aimed at a small consumer base. Not every car made are mainstream Civics or Accords, and not every cookie is chocolate chip. And it shouldnt be or else it'd be the most boring world ever.

But if a company is going after a niche crowd and wants to be profitable, you better hope that audience has tons of money to spend (Porsche), or the product is cheap enough to create so it can be bad sellers at cheap prices and still somehow make money off it (toothpicks).

Given the game (even before beta tests showed it was barely played), if Sony and Firewalk are going into it thinking Concord would be a big seller (not necessarily COD or Fortnite or Helldivers 2 level, but something decent that is played by millions and last for years) then they got some really bad planners. And given the time needed to make it and production quality, it's no indie shooter made dirt cheap by 8 people after dinner. They got to sell a lot of $40 copies to breakeven IMO.

Last edited:

Blackage

This is Concord following a formula that was already laid out for them by Blizzard, faults and all.
Yeah but even with all of Overwatch's faults and the reception to Overwatch 2 people still play it because they like the characters. Like people complain about the LGBT chars in Overwatch but all of them are cool and sexy. They've dropped the ball with the PvE and story elements, but there's enough there with the cast that people love to keep them invested.

Without cool character designs in your hero shooter, it's deader then dead on arrival, nobody wants to play as that weird really fat male character that went viral for Concord during the beta. It's a terrible character design to excite people, same with the barely functioning robot trashcan, compare to that to Bastion who turns into a fucking mini-gun.

Concord's characters designs are a raging dumpster fire and the primary issue with the game before we even get into the market saturation discussion. It's entirely too late for them to change course without a major delay and I'm not sure Sony is willing to bet on them twice after the chilly reception the game has already received.

Yeah but even with all of Overwatch's faults and the reception to Overwatch 2 people still play it because they like the characters. Like people complain about the LGBT chars in Overwatch but all of them are cool and sexy. They've dropped the ball with the PvE and story elements, but there's enough there with the cast that people love to keep them invested.

Without cool character designs in your hero shooter, it's deader then dead on arrival, nobody wants to play as that weird really fat male character that went viral for Concord during the beta. It's a terrible character design to excite people, same with the barely functioning robot trashcan, compare to that to Bastion who turns into a fucking mini-gun.

Concord's characters designs are a raging dumpster fire and the primary issue with the game before we even get into the market saturation discussion. It's entirely too late for them to change course without a major delay and I'm not sure Sony is willing to bet on them twice after the chilly reception the game has already received.
Your point feeds further into my point. By following the formula to a fault, Concord isn’t standing out enough. Even if their character designs were better it wouldn’t matter, as Concord is already being too much of a follower than a leader.

These new hero shooters are like WoW vs every other MMO all over again. There will be some standout competition here and there, but ultimately only Overwatch will kill Overwatch and make that playerbase finally move on.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Reboot Killzone and go back to the Jin-Roh era.
Have a solid MP component with decent seasonal content, that explores the new rebooted universe.
Blood and Dancing with excellent lighting.
Release it on PC.
???????
Print Money!

AI8CYYO.jpeg

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member

This is neither "new" nor risky, from a creative perspective. This is another trend-chasing copypasta that would have worked if the devs didn't have their heads so stuck in their asses. Risky was the new GOW. This is not.

Sony management is as deaf tone as every other from the liberal state of mind and it was their decision to invest in this flop. The same applies to Haven and Bungie, terrible acquisitions that will turn out in a loss of hundreds million.

PeteBull

Gold Member
This is neither "new" nor risky, from a creative perspective. This is another trend-chasing copypasta that would have worked if the devs didn't have their heads so stuck in their asses. Risky was the new GOW. This is not.

Sony management is as deaf tone as every other from the liberal state of mind and it was their decision to invest in this flop. The same applies to Haven and Bungie, terrible acquisitions that will turn out in a loss of hundreds million.

U can tell shawn layden is super pissed on what current heads of playstation are/were doing rofl, interview is from june 2024 so very fresh still :)

AmuroChan

I didn't say it was some new revolutionary idea. It's a new IP, which it is. And every new IP is risky. You can say this was a stupid investment on Sony's part, which I would agree with, but no one is arguing otherwise.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This studio just keeps digging their own grave....

KwHAdIN.png

Ohhh man.........I really hate seeing studios fail (except Haven) so this is kinda sad that they keep pushing it.
I really think this needed to have been tested with the public alot earlier in the dev cycle......they are pretty much too deep in the hole to back out now.
And have to pray PS5/PC players are starved for content for this game to make its money back......shoulda pushed an Apex and shadow dropped free to play........actually charging for this seems like a non starter.

Even Halo Infinite didnt get this much negativity..........and it had frikken Craig.

rPmFNYx.png

vjvx7Lz.png

The latest seasons of Halo Infante have quite low dislike percentages too.....but im guessing thats due to only the die hards still watching the trailers.
VHKmNeD.png

winjer

Gold Member
Ohhh man.........I really hate seeing studios fail (except Haven) so this is kinda sad that they keep pushing it.
I really think this needed to have been tested with the public alot earlier in the dev cycle......they are pretty much too deep in the hole to back out now.
And have to pray PS5/PC players are starved for content for this game to make its money back......shoulda pushed an Apex and shadow dropped free to play........actually charging for this seems like a non starter.

Even Halo Infinite didnt get this much negativity..........and it had frikken Craig.

rPmFNYx.png

vjvx7Lz.png

The latest seasons of Halo Infante have quite low dislike percentages too.....but im guessing thats due to only the die hards still watching the trailers.
VHKmNeD.png

Admittedly, MS and 343i did try to improve Halo Infinite and listen to the fans. They just failed miserably at their job.
But the people at Firewalk are just doubling down on mediocrity, while ignoring their customers.

Top Bottom