• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confused: PSP region locked or not?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm not going to look through 20 different threads to find the answer. What's the deal? Some saying yes, some saying no. I'm thinking of importing.

Shoryuken

No one knows. Region lockout is guaranteed for UMD movies, but for games it's somewhat ambiguous. Some say yes, others say no.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
and of those that say yes, maybe its only some not all. Those that say no might not rule out some.

Confused? Me too.

What about multiplayer between different region machines too? with wifi and people travelling, maybe that might drive games to be region free, but not movies?

Its tricky for Sony. On the one hand, they can't expect volumes like with PS2, so each territory might not be as lucrative for licensees, therefore maybe one global region makes better business sense.

On the other hand, if licensees want regions like with PS2, then a strong region lock might be required to help shore up the business models.

My heart says none, because its portable, and because gameboy has none (and Sony don't want to give anything away to Nintendo)

But my business heart looks at PS2 properties being pushed to PSP and sees territorial licenses being transferred across and sees nothing but region locking.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I'm buying a US PSP. I'll probably pick up a UK charger when it comes out over here.

If there's region lock, I won't buy any games from SCEE. Simple as that.

Another question I have is does the PSP support regular Memory Sticks? I have a 256MB one for my digital camera, it'd be nice to be able to slide that over to the PSP when needed.

Drakken

According to this C&VG article, the PSP and its games will not be region-encoded. The UMD movie discs will, though.

"The good news is that the PSP and its games will NOT be region encoded. UMD movies will be region encoded."

ferricide

WarPig said:
Games, movies, the lot are all gonna be region locked. SCE's actually said so multiple times. The confusion got started at GDC when some developer relations guy said something like "sure, I don't see any reason why they'd do that" without actually knowing a damn thing either way.

Simple rundown:

The DS: NOT region locked.
The PSP: EXTREMELY REGION LOCKED ALL TO FUCK.

DFS.
you say that, but i've never seen sony literature that actually says the games are region locked.

note: i'm assuming they are, to be on the safe side. either way, i don't think anyone knows for sure just yet.

Belfast

WarPig said:
Games, movies, the lot are all gonna be region locked. SCE's actually said so multiple times. The confusion got started at GDC when some developer relations guy said something like "sure, I don't see any reason why they'd do that" without actually knowing a damn thing either way.

Simple rundown:

The DS: NOT region locked.
The PSP: EXTREMELY REGION LOCKED ALL TO FUCK.

DFS.

Yeah, that's what they say. I certainly wouldn't expect Sony to come out and say the equivalent of PLEASE PIRATE ALL OUR GAMES or something to that effect (even though the ability to pirate UMDs is kind of not an issue right now). Still, its not like a company to say "yeah, our product isn't region locked." But with the CV&G article and the play-asia game listings saying "not region locked" amongst other reports, its still very confusing. :(

WarPig

ferricide said:
you say that, but i've never seen sony literature that actually says the games are region locked.

It was in one of the interviews Kawanishi whatsisfuck gave to all the Japanese pubs last month. Either Famitsu or Game Watch. I don't have the energy to Google in Japanese today...

DFS.

WarPig

I wonder, is SCE actually mentioning region coding in its retail solicitations or something whacko like that? Because they have indeed flip-flopped on the question enough that I may have been right a month ago and wrong today. I would have been wrong in May, when SCEE was saying there wasn't gonna be any region coding.

Edit: The current PSP spec list has an entry for "Access control: Region, Parental Control."

DFS.

maharg

idspispopd
Doom_Bringer said:
Why do compaies do this? Fuck region lock

Mostly because publishers want it so they can effectively control licensing and distribution rights to different countries.

Soul4ger

Gameforms says:

"The biggest news for U.S. gamers is the fact that the system will be region coded, a rarity among portables. No software released for the Japanese system will play on the U.S. version, and vice versa, so importers beware."

Though it is Gameforms. And it's the first time the site has updated in like a month. HERE'S A GRAIN OF SALT. TAKE IT.

WarPig

Holy God, Anoop, you actually got a straight answer from SCEA PR?

I bow before your might, and happily recant my earlier foolishness.

DFS.

Importing is a bit tempting, but I think I'll hold off.

The other reason is I'd rather buy from Best Buy or Future Shop and get an extended warranty on this thing ... just in case.

WarPig

With 200K units available at launch, you are going to get jacked to the fucking stratosphere.

For comparison, there were a MILLION units available at the Japanese Game Boy Advance launch.

DFS.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
that'd be just as well, honestly -- i expect to live until march, i'd save ~$50, and i'd be able to import minna no golf and sengoku cannon anyway.

Soul4ger

drohne said:
that'd be just as well, honestly -- i expect to live until march, i'd save ~$50, and i'd be able to import minna no golf and sengoku cannon anyway.

You make another good point, senorita. I think that's what I'll do. Save the dough, and just import the games I want. Brilliant!

Soul4ger

Mrbob said:
Nice! Now when I get my PSP next March I know I'll be able to grab imports if I want them!

And, you won't have compatibility issues with movies and music here, if you so decide to use the PSP for that. Definitely good thing.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Well this seals the deal on my getting a PSP then. I'm going to wait for the US launch and import any 2D fighters that SCEA blocks.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
PSP adopts both a "worldwide" and "regional" code system," explains Molly Smith of SCE America. "For games on PSP there is no region code. However, due to language and system issues, quality assurance procedures are done in each territory. Therefore, we recommend purchasing both the hardware and corresponding software in the same market/territory."
Awesome :D

Vibri

Banned
Good news - but will Japanese multiplayer games work in the US over wi-fi etc?

Aren't the frequencies different or something?

Soul4ger

JC10001 said:
Well this seals the deal on my getting a PSP then. I'm going to wait for the US launch and import any 2D fighters that SCEA blocks.

I'll most definitely be checking out the Falcom PC ports, as well.

cvxfreak

I think Sony's asking for trouble by keeping movies locked out. It just doesn't seem practical enough when people are traveling to Japan and Europe and see some UMD they want to buy, only to have them not work. The GBA Video cartridges work fine on Japanese GBASPs, so UMDs would be ridiculous.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
CVXFREAK said:
I think Sony's asking for trouble by keeping movies locked out. It just doesn't seem practical enough when people are traveling to Japan and Europe and see some UMD they want to buy, only to have them not work. The GBA Video cartridges work fine on Japanese GBASPs, so UMDs would be ridiculous.

GBA =! to Feature Length Films

Top Bottom