• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Considering Star Wars Galaxies Jump to Lightspeed. Questions for Beta Players.

Just curious what your overall opinion is of the game as my interest has jumped up dramatically over the past few months.

Do I have to do the lame ground missions if I only want to pilot a starship?

Is a joystick or controller better for the space missions?

How enjoyable is the combat in space?

Thanks for your input.

ManaByte

Gold Member
CrimsonSkies said:
Do I have to do the lame ground missions if I only want to pilot a starship?

Yes. While you get a crappy newbie fighter immediately (a Z-95 for example on the Alliance side), you cannot modify the fighter at all and it has NO hyperdrive. In order to get a good ship, you need to seek out a player Shipwright. It takes A LOT of resources to build a starfighter so expect to pay anywhere from 50,000 to 100,000 credits minimum for a basic ship. The only way to get that money is to do missions on the ground, as it'll take you FOREVER in space to gather that much cash. You must also return to the ground to get new missions to fly in space.

CrimsonSkies said:
Is a joystick or controller better for the space missions?

Personal preference really. The mouse-driven controls are like Freelancer.

CrimsonSkies said:
How enjoyable is the combat in space?

Imagine XvT in a MMORPG environment.

kamikaze

ManaByte said:
It takes A LOT of resources to build a starfighter so expect to pay anywhere from 50,000 to 100,000 credits minimum for a basic ship. The only way to get that money is to do missions on the ground, as it'll take you FOREVER in space to gather that much cash.

don't you get credits and/or loot from killing things in space?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
kamikaze said:
don't you get credits and/or loot from killing things in space?

I suspect cargo runs would be the optimal way to make money in space, which in a Z-95 would take eons to do.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Schafer said:
I suspect cargo runs would be the optimal way to make money in space, which in a Z-95 would take eons to do.

It'll be impossible to do since the newbie ship has no hyperdrive.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
If you really just want to avoid doing ground missions, you could go to a spawn point of a fairly easy to kill enemy, and set up a macro to kill abd loot them. Just leave that on overnight and you should get your money quick enough.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Screaming_Gremlin said:
If you really just want to avoid doing ground missions, you could go to a spawn point of a fairly easy to kill enemy, and set up a macro to kill abd loot them. Just leave that on overnight and you should get your money quick enough.

Except that they are disabling the looping macros in the game ;)

Nice try though.

D.Cowboys

Neo Member
Get in a solo group on dantooine and get high lvl Juanta,Mok soothsayer missions. If the group is big enough the missions pay out 28k apiece. You'll have millions within hours.

ManaByte

Gold Member
D.Cowboys said:
Get in a solo group on dantooine and get high lvl Juanta,Mok soothsayer missions. If the group is big enough the missions pay out 28k apiece. You'll have millions within hours.

That's something else that won't work soon. They are going to change it so that if you get a mission while in a group, you won't get a payout of you disband the group. Goodbye solo missions. You're actually going to have to PLAY the game now, sorry.

Mojojo

So the NDA for JtL has been lifted..Any beta testers here?
After hours of mind numbing leveling in CoH, I am eager to come back to the complexity of SWG and previews of the expansion seems very positive so far.

Top Bottom