• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Mexico is gonna lose by more than twice considering now that their confidence is shot unless Osorio rallies them up, change tactics, and actually have them function as a team.

Altazor

Out best match so far. Some great stuff from Alexis and Vidal... shame that the latter will miss the next match if we advance :(

Bye Mexico, they won't magically do better for the second half, and Chile impressive offense chemistry won't magically stop penetrating Mexico defense like butter.

mozfan12

Banned
It's what every one was saying. We got lucky with Jamaica, and Uruguay when they could not score their chances. Even the friendly against Chile just a month ago showed how frail we were on defense. It was bound to happen.

what's up with Mexico, GAF said they are decent?

Mexico really hasn't been a soccer powerhouse for almost two decades. Since 2000, the USA has 13 wins, 6 losses, and 5 draws against Mexico. Unless you consider the US a world power on the pitch, then you definitely cannot consider Mexico one.

Chile are the defending Copa America champs, and really just a superb team. Tons of talent at midfield and striker.

Dinokill

Mexico really hasn't been a soccer powerhouse for almost two decades. Since 2000, the USA has 13 wins, 6 losses, and 5 draws against Mexico. Unless you consider the US a world power on the pitch, then you definitely cannot consider Mexico one.

Chile are the defending Copa America champs, and really just a superb team. Tons of talent at midfield and striker.

Mexico has never been a powerhouse.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

QFT

Mexico is relatively good, but Chile has some world class stars. I don't understand how Univision dare saying Mexico were favorites coming into this match.

Altazor

QFT

Mexico is relatively good, but Chile has some world class stars. I don't understand how Univision dare saying Mexico were favorites coming into this match.

probably 'cause our current form - bad during the friendlies before the Copa, then horrible against Argentina and Bolivia (!) and only decent against a very diminished Panama side.

It's not that we don't have great players (we do), it's just that we weren't clicking at all. Thankfully we turned up this time. Let's finish this, guys! Vamos Chile conchatumare!

Black_Red

I'm so sad about Vidal, he didn't deserve that yellow, It was clear he was playing really safe to avoid a card (when you compare him with his normal playstyle).

Also, this is really a different team without Orellana on the field :)

Estamos cagados in the semi final without Vidal but oh well. Worry about that after.

Yeah, it will be hard to beat Colombia's defense without Vidal (looking at our last match against them (1-1) ).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mexico has never been a powerhouse. Let's not try to paint Mexico on the decline either.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Because we were but Chile is playing their best match this tournament

How were you favorites after drawing against Venezuela which is the second to last team in South America in the current qualifiers? The victory against Uruguay was misleading. Uruguay without Suarez never jelled this tournament, which was proven after they also fell against Venezuela. Today Venezuela got routed by Argentina.

DominoKid

yeah i was very surprised the Fox Sports crew all picked Mexico. well not Lalas. he's a fucking idiot so i wasn't surprised.

D

Deleted member 13414

Unconfirmed Member
Osorio why didnt you bring in Gallito Vazquez? Please dont put in Rafa put in Guillet please.

Mexico has never been a powerhouse.

That's crazy talk. Unless you're super young, you have to remember some of their accomplishments. They made it twice to the Quarterfinals in the World Cup. They are ten time CONCACAF champions. Runners up twice in Copa America. They've won a Confederation Cup. Hell, they won the gold medal in the last Olympics.

Mexico is consistently in the mix. I would argue that their glory days are in the past, but they were certainly a regional powerhouse.

QFT

There's nobody on el Tri that can play at the same level as Sanchez or Vidal.

Unless you were referring to Mexico being the CONCACAF undisputed powerhouse then no, you're wrong. Mexico has never been a soccer powerhouse. We're consistently mediocre.

Since the 1994 WC we've classified to the second round of all SIX world cups since then and in all six we've been defeated in the same place: Round of 16. Not even Spain is that consistent since they went from winning in 2010 to falling in the 2014 group stage, lol.

We're consistent in our mediocrity.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
That's crazy talk. Unless you're super young, you have to remember some of their accomplishments. They made it twice to the Quarterfinals in the World Cup. They are ten time CONCACAF champions. Runners up twice in Copa America. They've won a Confederation Cup. Hell, they won the gold medal in the last Olympics.

Mexico is consistently in the mix. I would argue that their glory days are in the past, but they were certainly a regional powerhouse.
You are seriously underselling the term "powerhouse" in there. Tons of teams make the qfs consistently, and some have even reached the semis that I wouldn't label them as such.

And I would disagree that Mexico's best days are behind, especially when we have a ton of young players who have been winning silverware in their respective categories.

mozfan12

Banned
Man, really fucking getting tired of Osorio and his shit even before this. Rotating half of the squad, changing players from their standard role, in a tournament is just idiotic and haphazard.

gutshot

Mexico isn't a bad team. They are still better than the US, in my opinion.

It's just Chile is really, really good. Second best team in CONMEBOL and that is no slight since the top team is the best in the world ATM.

jabuseika

Lol gtfo, no one's ever said Mexico was a power house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom