• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter Strike: GO - Debut Trailer, Preview and Gameplay

Official Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQQgVhCvosw

Video Preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN93xXfews4

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP5D2N6pKKg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GyNLSzYRys

Confirmed Maps

* Dust
* Dust 2
* Aztec
* Office
* Nuke
* Italy
* Inferno

With Global Offensive (or GO), the next version of Counter-Strike, Valve isn't trying to completely reinvent the franchise. This isn't Counter-Strike 2, it's more like an incremental update. Terrorists still fight Counter-Terrorists in round-based combat. You still plant bombs on Dust and rescue hostages on Office. Some maps, like Dust and Aztec, received updates while others, like Dust 2, are largely unchanged. Though the changes aren't wild, franchise fans will find a few new interesting additions to the formula that may very well turn out to be series staples moving forward.

If you're using GO's matchmaking system you'll be dumped into relatively small maps for five versus five gameplay. Valve built an ELO-based ranking system into GO to determine your skill level, so ideally you're set up with players around your level of skill. Bots of appropriate difficulty settings will also be added in if a full game of live players can't be put together. If the idea of a five on five match sounds too limiting, PC players will be able to set up custom matches that Valve assures will provide the same degree of flexibility as is available in Counter-Strike: Source. Console players will not have the option to set up servers, however.

GO's online game should be especially interesting during the PC beta test planned for this October, as those who get in will have a chance to test out the new Molotov cocktail. This grenade type is expensive, but has dramatic effects on the flow of battle. If you step on the carpet of flames produced by shattering the Molotov, you take damage over time. You're not actually set on fire, though. Once you're off the fire, you immediately stop taking damage. But still, the effect can be both disastrous and strategically useful. If a team's all bunched up in a corner, a well-placed Molotov can make a serious dent in their collective health and send them charging for an exit – easy prey for waiting snipers. It can also serve to completely block off an entryway to the enemy team. This gives a lot more power to the solo player, like a Counter-Terrorist trying to defend a bomb zone. If you know help is on the way and the direction of the incoming Terrorists, a well-placed Molotov will keep the enemy at bay for a few seconds, which can open up an opportunity to either escape or give teammates enough time to run over and help out.

Another addition, the Zeus stun gun, is meant to be a tool of humiliation rather than something reliable. Valve considers it to be a joke weapon at this point. It's more expensive to buy than even the Molotov, carries only one charge, and needs to be fired at ultra-close range to hit. Though it seemed somewhat impractical given most are using deadly long-range weapons, I'm very interested to see if pro players may be able to come up with a more effective application for it. Many Counter-Strike favorites return like the AK-47, AWP, Desert Eagle and Famas, and other new weapons have been included as well that fill out the assault rifle and SMG categories. There's definitely a lot here to pick from, but the question of whether it'll all be useful remains, something Valve is looking to find out for sure in the beta.

In case you're a PC gamer and concerned about the current interface, don't worry: Valve plans on implementing a proper heads-up display and buy menu eventually. Counter-Strike GO is still very much in development, and much of the appropriate polish has yet to be added. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like sprays are going to make it in, but Valve still has a few surprises in store in terms of new maps and game modes.

And in case you were wondering, Valve has no plans for microtransactions in GO. That means no hats, aside from those already on the character models.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/119/1190745p1.html?_cmpid=ign1392

Looks hot.

Xanadu

Banned
it might just be me but the graphics really dont look any better than CSS

will be fun to own console players though

M.D

I just can't imagine playing this game with a controller.
It's seems wrong for some reason. Maybe it's how the characters move or something.. I dunno

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yup, that's Counter-strike

M.D said:
It's seems wrong for some reason. Maybe it's how the characters move or something.. I dunno

Keyboard+mouse support on PS3 bitches

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Xanadu said:
it might just be me but the graphics really dont look any better than CSS

will be fun to own console players though
The maps that haven't been tweaked since CSS launched look really rough in comparison.

wwm0nkey

M.D said:
Well I played the original Xbox version and that was pretty fun so if its anything like that then we are good lol

Xanadu

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Well I played the original Xbox version and that was pretty fun so if its anything like that then we are good lol
my cousin had the console version, i thought it was awful, but then i was used to playing CSS

Qwomo

I love that they're using the old sounds, but overall I'm finding it very, very hard to get excited about this game.

wwm0nkey

Mechazawa said:
I wonder if PC players get matchmaking too.

Or at least player lobbies or something.
It gets the 5v5 ranked and player lobbies

apparently the console version wont get the player lobbies.

Xanadu

Banned
Qwomo said:
I love that they're using the old sounds, but overall I'm finding it very, very hard to get excited about this game.
same, i'll wait for the next proper CS, with a new engine etc

YUv4E.jpg

Mechazawa

wwm0nkey said:
It gets the 5v5 ranked and player lobbies

apparently the console version wont get the player lobbies.

?

By player lobbies, you're talking about Halo/CoD styled "invite friends into lobby and hop into the same match simultaneously", right? If so, that's kind of crazy that consoles wouldn't get that.

wwm0nkey

Mechazawa said:
?

By player lobbies, you're talking about Halo/CoD styled "invite friends into lobby and hop into the same match simultaneously", right? If so, that's kind of crazy that consoles wouldn't get that.
Well I think they meant player lobbies as in the server browser. I am sure you will be able to set up your own games on console but it will probably be restricted to just friends I guess.

blamite

I'm a bit out of the loop on this game, is it true that this is being developed by Hidden Path (I think I read that somewhere), or is Valve making it themselves?

Don't know why you've got an issue with the "use the scope" image. They've got to include something like that (tutorial wise) and players only really see it once in other games that use it (Portal 2, Left 4 Dead 2).

Also, the press that played this probably aren't the type to be incredibly into CS. Stephen Totilo hadn't even played a CS game before (which is about what I'd expect from Kotaku).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
gah, i cant tell exactly but looks like it might use the CSS gunplay system which as far as any true gamer is concerned is complete trash compared to 1.6

spray and pray games can go die in a fire

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Well there is a casual mode that eliminates weapon buying and stuff, basically lets you buy anything for free.

Xyphie

Looks pretty much like CS:S with a fresh coat of paint over it, and that's not a good thing. Same shitty floaty gameplay.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Misanthropy said:
If this is real then I am sure it will be a hit for a lot of the casual gamers.

feelsbadman.jpg
Not sure what you're getting at, plenty of weapons in CS have scopes.

mr_nothin

Banned
Monsterland said:
I guess ppl dont remember that there were scopes in cs/css?
It just zooms it, it doesnt actually ADS.....

Or maybe it's just the fact that they tell you?
Not that big a deal

Top Bottom