• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creative Zen Touch, Apple iPod, and the like...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SD-Ness

The iPod is currently the most popular. I see tons of people with them everyday now. But is it really the best? A couple of days ago the Zen Touch was released as an upgraded version of the Zen.

Zen Touch...
prod_10274.jpg
zentouch_chart.gif

iPod...
ipod.jpg
ipod.jpg

Which is truly the better device?

Suerte

I'm not sure about the new Zen model, but I've heard generally the Creative models have better sound quality than iPod's AND with that new model you get 24 hour battery life, sounds good!

I have a 60GB Nomad Zen and have been mucho pleased with it. Dunno about the touch, but the series seems quite solid.

Just be sure to plunk down the $30 for Notmad Explorer to replace Creative's terrible, terrible software.

Suerte

Yeah iRiver seems kinda ugly and I don't see much point in a coloured screen, it's just a battery drain..

B'z-chan

Banned
That zen looks like a pretty nice value. If only it had USB server capabilities so i could use it with my camera or something else.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Apple will let the mass market slip through its fingers (again) if they start relying on style and iconic status in face of peers which provide the same, if not better functionality, at lower prices. I'd still buy an ipod today, but I can see a point where another company's offering will, on balance, be far better value for money..so much so, that it'll outweigh the plusses in favour of Apple. Hopefully there'll be fresh ipods announced in the Fall, along with cheaper offerings.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>i am waiting for this puppy:

i-river h320<<<

I hadn't seen that until now. Blech! The new iRiver series looks like a big step backwards.

pops619

The only advantage that the iPod has is style. There are other players that are just as user friendly, have longer battery life, have equal or greater storage space, better sound quality (from what I've read anyway) and are cheaper. Personally, I passed on the iPod. The current model doesn't seem worth it to me. I'm interested in seeing what Apple does with the next version, though.

it's iPod sized. Basically it's their iPod-killer, or wanna-be-killer.

The Zen Jukebox is a bit larger, but it's worth it to me to actually be able to carry all my music around. I have 48GB, currently...

I had the ipod the battery died, I replaced the batter and the HD died. Sold the Extra batterym Doc and Broken Ipod seperatly for more then enought to get the Zen Xtra which just 2 days ago I dropped and the hd broke. :(

I liked the Zen better, more space for the money 30 gbs for 250 vs 10 for 300, easier to replace the battery, and actually replaceing the Hd or upgrading it isn't hard. $$$ replacing depends on how much you can get a 2.5" HD for.

My only problems with the Zen Xtra ars the buttons being on the side, navigating the menus sucks and it;s a bit on the bulky side compared to the Ipod.

Anywho...How much is the Touch? If it's affodable I'll just get that instead of replaing the Hd in my Zen Xtra. I really liked the Zen Xtra.

Great Wasabi Man said:
Anywho...How much is the Touch? If it's affodable I'll just get that instead of replaing the Hd in my Zen Xtra. I really liked the Zen Xtra.

Dirt cheap for a HD player, I hear - I think its selling for like $270 USD at the Creative online store. From what I can tell, the 20GB model is available, with 40/60GB versions unannounced but likely to be appearing in the coming months?

xsarien

daedsiluap
gofreak said:
Apple will let the mass market slip through its fingers (again) if they start relying on style and iconic status in face of peers which provide the same, if not better functionality, at lower prices.

To the everyday consumer, they want what's advertised the most. Apple's iPod marketing budget is about 50% of why the thing is selling so well.

People are like that.

Mason

I have a 30 GB Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra and I love it. I don't understand the complaints about the software, though. It installs two things; don't use the one with the fancy name. Use the Nomad Explorer (or whatever it's called). It treats the MP3 player as another drive and you just drag and drop and organize by Album, Artist, Genre, etc etc etc.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
xsarien said:
To the everyday consumer, they want what's advertised the most. Apple's iPod marketing budget is about 50% of why the thing is selling so well.

People are like that.

True, but I think there will come a point where competitor offerings offer so much more in terms of value for money, that it overrides the status associated with iPod..its image/style/branding etc. Like I say, I don't think we're there yet, but I think we will be within a year or so if Apple don't adjust. Most people, I would say, still can't afford an iPod. The company that comes through with good battery, large capacity, reasonable design (at least) at a sub 100 dollar price will pick up a large part of the market. I don't see Apple doing that, but we can live in hope..

edit - in other words, whilst most would still covet an iPod, their sensible sides will find it hard to ignore other offerings..especially for those who can only borderline afford an iPod, or simply can't really afford one at all. We all want Porches, but we all buy Fords ;)

Mason

I think we're already at that point.

20 GB Ipod = $400

30 GB Zen = $220

Hmm....the choice was easy for me.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mason said:
I think we're already at that point.

20 GB Ipod = $400

30 GB Zen = $220

Hmm....the choice was easy for me.

I think the design still needs to be a bit better, especially in terms of size..it needs to compete on size. I heard the 30GB Zen is a bit bigger than iPod?

Though that said, I have started seeing a lot of talk in the media about alternatives to iPod, so perhaps it's slowly beginning. I think the products need to be better still, though.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
The Iriver Ihp 120 is better than an Ipod. And about 20-30 bucks cheaper too.

The Iriver has optical out, built in mic, FM tuner, and a full featured in-line remote. All these features are things the Ipod lacks. The Iriver also has longer battery life than the ipod.

Coen

I own a iRiver iHP-140 and it pretty much does everything iPod does and much, much more for less. I strongly recommend it. It doesn't look as trendy as an iPod, but my PC doesn't look as trendy a iMac. Functionality > design

xsarien

daedsiluap
gofreak said:
Most people, I would say, still can't afford an iPod.

If Apple's sales figures are any indication, I'd say that most people can afford one. But whether or not Apple "adjusts" to incorporate more features is, as you say, something only time will tell. But how much stuff can they really put into it outside of more codecs and more space? When you think about how practical it is, video is a rather dumbass thing to incorporate.

Hmm I'm seriously thinking about getting an ipod atm but I'm starting to have doubts after hearing a few non flattering things. I wonder when the Zen Touch will be released in the UK and will it be any good

xsarien

daedsiluap
MrPing1000 said:
Hmm I'm seriously thinking about getting an ipod atm but I'm starting to have doubts after hearing a few non flattering things. I wonder when the Zen Touch will be released in the UK and will it be any good

Speaking as someone who's not terribly fun to shop with because of how much I scrutinize everything, about the only thing bad to be said about the iPod is that it's expensive, and yeah, the battery should be a bit more up to snuff with other players. (But in practice, 8 hours isn't terrible at all, you just need to be mindful about throwing it on the charger about as often as a cell phone.)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>If Apple's sales figures are any indication, I'd say that most people can afford one. But whether or not Apple "adjusts" to incorporate more features is, as you say, something only time will tell. But how much stuff can they really put into it outside of more codecs and more space? When you think about how practical it is, video is a rather dumbass thing to incorporate.<<<

I might look past iPod's higher price and shorter battery life if Apple added digital/analog line in/line outs and good DACs. I DO NOT want video playback added to my HDD music player, though.

xsarien

daedsiluap
TAJ said:
>>>If Apple's sales figures are any indication, I'd say that most people can afford one. But whether or not Apple "adjusts" to incorporate more features is, as you say, something only time will tell. But how much stuff can they really put into it outside of more codecs and more space? When you think about how practical it is, video is a rather dumbass thing to incorporate.<<<

I might look past iPod's higher price and shorter battery life if Apple added digital/analog line in/line outs and good DACs. I DO NOT want video playback added to my HDD music player, though.

The iPod does have a line-out, but as far as Apple's concerned, you need the dock to access it.

Good thing there are 3rd parties, though:
http://www.sendstation.com/us/press/release-040620.html

TAJ

>>>The iPod does have a line-out, but as far as Apple's concerned, you need the dock to access it.

Good thing there are 3rd parties, though:
http://www.sendstation.com/us/press/release-040620.html<<<

It will make the iPod bigger than the iRiver, and there's still no optical in/out, but things are moving in the right direction.

Mason

The Nomad Zen (up until the Touch) is larger than an iPod. I don't mean to say it's huge or bulky, but you wouldn't need to line them up side by side to tell which one was bigger.

However, I like the bigger size of the Zen. The iPod just seems tiny and slippery. My friend has an iPod and I have a Zen, so I've messed with them both, and I prefer the Zen.

fart

Savant
if you're planning on buying right now and could maybe wait a few months, i would go ahead and wait. we've got new ipods coming, new irivers, new zens, new everything by the fall.

TAJ

fart

Savant
redchair's explorer software costs money. i have heard good things about it though. i may try the iriver version if i get bored. thanks to the no software requirement for the iriver players (and a good thing since iriver doesn't offer any) i haven't needed anything. i don't even use tags dude

Fusebox

Banned
The Zen NX creams the Ipod in terms of sound quality, but even the new Zen can't touch the iPod for sex and pocket appeal imo. It still isn't as small or pocketable as the iPod.

With the student discount from apple the 15GB iPOD comes down to $269, the same price as the 20GB Zen touch. So i would still be getting more for my money with the Zen, but damn those iPODs for being so sexy. In the end, Ill probably end up waiting a while. I wish I could mess around with the Zen as I have done so extensively with friends iPODs, but I dont think Ill be that lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom