• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creature Spotlight #2: Strawberry Guava, Hawaii's strangler

Status
Not open for further replies.

happypup

Using a plant may seem to stretch the definition of creature, but I promised to bring all types of living organisms into the spotlight.

Strawberry Guava,

640px-PsidiumLittorale.jpg

found naturally in the jungles of Brazil and surrounding areas of South America, produces tart red or sometimes yellow fruit that, to some, has a hint of strawberry.

Psidium_cattleianum_fruit.jpg

The fruit is often made into jams and the seeds are often roasted and ground to make a coffee like drink. The leaves are also used in some teas. They are hearty trees that grow up to 6 meters tall. Because of their myriad of uses, their beautiful appearance, and their hearty nature they have become popular as bushes and trees in landscaping. But this isn't a landscaping blog.

HETF_Guava_1_screen.gif
HETF_Guava_2_screen.gif

HETF_Guava_4_screen.gif
HETF_Guava_6_screen.gif

Above shows a progression as a native Hawaiian rainforest is enveloped by a grove of Strawberry Guava. Called Waiawi by the native people of Hawaii, Strawberry Guava has been systematically choking their native rainforests since it was introduced in 1825 as a decorative plant. They grow so thick that they completely block the sunlight from reaching the ground leaving nothing but bare earth below. As such they form massive groves, monocultures, throughout Hawaii.

CAOasner-photo_screen.gif

The U.S National forest describes the threat of Strawberry Guava.

Once established in native landscapes, strawberry guava forms impenetrable thickets that:

Crowd out native plant species
Break up natural areas
Disrupt native animal communities
Alter native ecosystem processes, like water production
Provide refuge for alien fruit flies that are a major pest of Hawaiian agriculture.

Strawberry guava is particularly damaging in Hawaii because the tree grows aggressively without the natural "checking" power of the predators and diseases found in its native Brazil.

Current efforts to stem the growth of Strawberry Guava primarily involves cutting. Cutting, rather than a complete slash and burn approach which would leave the area bare and susceptible to erosion and other non native invasion, involves scoring or well cutting the trunks of the Strawberry Guava tree, typically a couple of feet from the ground. This method weakens the trees making it easier for native plants to reclaim the land. Unfortunately it also requires a great deal of manpower and has done little to halt the expansion.

Among the more extreme methods for controlling any invasive species is to introduce a natural predator to the system. Early attempts at this often just made the problem worse. Not only was the first invasive species still a problem, but the predators expanded their diet to include other native species, and competed with their natural predators. Take for example the case of a weevil introduced to control thistles, as told by Biologists Daniel Simberloff (Department of Biological Science, Florida State University) and Peter Stiling (Department of Biology, University of South Florida) back in 1996.

The weevil Rhinocyllus conicus was introduced to
Canada in 1968 and Virginia in 1969 to control weedy,
non-indigenous thistles (Ehler, 1991). It was then
released in many other regions of North America
(Schroder, 1980). In the 1980s it was discovered feeding
on several native thistle species (Cirsium spp.) (Turner
et al., 1987), of which three species are classified as
category 2 species under the Endangered Species Act.

The U.S. National Forest Service however believes they have found a biological control that will help naturalize the Strawberry Guava with little risk to native species. Meet the Brazilian Scale

tectococcus.jpg

or rather the effects of the Brazilian scale on a Strawberry Guava bush. This scale (a small parasitic insect) only infects two species of plants in it's native home in Brazil, one being Strawberry Guava. They are highly specialized parasites that would likely pose little risk of adopting a native species as a host. Among the more ridiculous concerns I have heard about introducing this scale is it could damage Strawberry Guava plants that are still very popular as a landscaping bush.

Strawberry Guava groves have also been found in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. Although not as extreme, they tend to choke those wetlands too.

Personal note. I went on vacation to Hawaii some years ago, while I was there I mostly just went hiking and camping. While hiking one day I stumbled upon one of these groves. The scenery went from lush and vibrant, full of a diverse range of plants and animals to something I can only describe as barren. The unintended consequences of man's actions can be devastating. If we are to be stewards of the planet Earth we must learn this lesson, else we will continue on this destructive path until we bring about our own extinction.

This is a relatively short one, but I have been busy. If you have any questions please ask. Suggestions for other creatures are also welcome.

For a bit more reading

a general critique on the use of biological control
http://www.biol.wwu.edu/peterson/Risks%20of%20Biocontrol.pdf

U.S. National Forest Service
http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/topics/invasives/strawberryguava/strawberry_guava.shtml#anchor.2

Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psidium_cattleianum

Previous Spotlight
Creature Spotlight #1: Baiji, the Yangtze River Dolphin

maxcriden

Yesss I was just thinking earlier today how psyched I was for the next Creature Spotlight! Thanks so much happypup, I'll read this as soon as I can sit down and really enjoy it.

Anura

Can you do the Amphibian Cytrid Fungus next? I can assure you it has some very interesting history that deserves to be heard.

Mike M

Nick N
Rhizocephalons! Do rhizocephalons! Fuck, I'll do rhizocephalons! More people just need to know about rhizocephalons!
It's unfortunate how a lot of attempts at biological control by introducing yet another foreign species to eat/kill a previous one doesn't go according to keikaku.

It's like a real life "I know an old lady who swallowed a fly"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiESiO6tLM8
Like how someone thought it would be a good idea to solve Hawaii's rat problem with mongeese.

Whoops.

happypup

Can you do the Amphibian Cytrid Fungus next? I can assure you it has some very interesting history that deserves to be heard.

I will do some research on it this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.

pretty soon I plan on launching a seven series arc that discusses the evolution of vertebrates using comparative anatomy of the seven vertebrate subphylums. Each one will focus on a particular favorite animal of mine.

I want to hit some other kingdoms first though, and I haven't much experience with fungus.

psylah

The U.S. National Forest Service however believes they have found a biological control that will help naturalize the Strawberry Guava with little risk to native species. Meet the Brazilian Scale

tectococcus.jpg

Reminds me of this:

SKINNER
Well, I was wrong. The lizards are a godsend.

LISA
But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by lizards?

SKINNER
No problem. We simply unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards.

LISA
But aren't the snakes even worse?

SKINNER
Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.

LISA
But then we're stuck with gorillas!

SKINNER
No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

happypup

Thanks for all the positive comments. I love doing these threads so I am glad to see that people are equally as interested at reading them.

Do a thread about love bugs in Florida.

A great choice. A natural pest species comes with a whole new set of problems.

Rhizocephalons! Do rhizocephalons! Fuck, I'll do rhizocephalons! More people just need to know about rhizocephalons!

One of my favorite arthropods. Their life cycle is so remarkable. Parasites are cool.

apart from the devastating environmental impact, sounds yummy.

I haven't had one, but the taste is supposed to be like passion fruit with a hint of strawberry, the skin of the fruit tastes like rose petals, and the yellow ones are not as sour.

dosh

I haven't had one, but the taste is supposed to be like passion fruit with a hint of strawberry, the skin of the fruit tastes like rose petals, and the yellow ones are not as sour.

Weren't you tempted to try and eat one when you stumbled upon that grove in Hawaii?

Great threads by the way, I really enjoy reading them, and the links.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I had a chance to volunteer for a month working with the Kok'e Resource Conservation Program over at Kauai in 2010, working on controlling guava, along with Kahili ginger and Australian Tree Ferns. Some areas are just lost because the plant just forms monoculture stands. I think they're allelopathic too. The wood is beautiful for walking sticks though :)

Reminds me of this:

I wrote an essay on the episode with that exact scene in mind haha

Escapades in Ecology: Simpson's Bart the Mother

agrajag

Banned
Oh shit,w I think I've seen these here in Florida, they use them for hedges. At least I think that'd what it is, the bushes have a similar looking fruit. It doesn't taste that great.

Lotto

Great thread, thanks for sharing! I live in an area of high endemism like Hawaii and know just how devastating invasive species can be to native ecosystems.

happypup

I had a chance to volunteer for a month working with the Kok'e Resource Conservation Program over at Kauai in 2010, working on controlling guava, along with Kahili ginger and Australian Tree Ferns. Some areas are just lost because the plant just forms monoculture stands. I think they're allelopathic too. The wood is beautiful for walking sticks though :)

I wrote an essay on the episode with that exact scene in mind haha

Escapades in Ecology: Simpson's Bart the Mother

I have only read about the control methods being used. Could you share your experience during your volunteer work? It must have been a rewarding experience.

Koomaster

Very interesting read. I am always interested in invasive plant species ever since I learned about Kudzu as a kid. Wonder if they will ever get the Strawberry Guava under control in Hawaii?

happypup

Very interesting read. I am always interested in invasive plant species ever since I learned about Kudzu as a kid. Wonder if they will ever get the Strawberry Guava under control in Hawaii?

Eventually a balance will be reached. The best thing we can do is to limit the damage while aiding in the naturalization process. This process can take hundreds, if not thousands of years to accomplish. We can't put the cat back in the bag, but we can help protect the native species while the naturalization process is occurring.

These spotlights are a great idea. Thanks for making them, OP.

So in this one, the shorter trees are the guavas?

yes the shorter trees are the Guava

sginfestation300x225.jpg

I was going to use this image, but it was a bit smaller, anyways everything inside the red is infested with Guava.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I have only read about the control methods being used. Could you share your experience during your volunteer work? It must have been a rewarding experience.

I'm trying to remember what we used for guava.. I think it was a combo of machete and herbicides in areas that can still be salvaged. It sucks because the problem is made worse by wild boars, another invasive, which eat the fruit and spread it around even more.

I spent a month there, and it was definitely a great volunteer experience. We got to stay in a work camp up in the mountains for free. I'd recommend the experience for anyone who loves the outdoors. Check out the details:

http://krcp.org/home.aspx

Best bit was definitely tackling Australian Tree Ferns. We had to saw down 30, 40 foot monsters with saws and spray them down. Crazy awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom