• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Alliance |OT| MS's XBLA Price Experiment (Set Back with Microtransations?)

Gaspode_T

No code for me either :| The fine print said pretty clearly that you can't combine The Maw and Crimson Alliance offers so I was actually surprised to hear people are receiving it who also got The Maw...maybe those people didn't redeem their Maw code?

legbone

Fl1pp13 said:
I was able to put some hours in Crimson Alliance and have to say I really like it. It makes me think of a mix between Bastion and Trine, with some links to God of War. I don't really know how their money-making system works though, as I got my characters for free..

i'm sorry in advance, but is this a joke post. what the fuck?

surly

Banned
I'm confused about one aspect of the payment model.

I downloaded this from Live earlier and it said it was free. There is no option to download the trial and full game as normal. When I started it up, I could play as any of the characters, but it said that they would be limited. Does that mean I can play the full game like this? Or does it mean that I'm essentially playing a demo that will end after a certain time, then I can buy 1 character for 800 or all 3 for 1,200?

The game itself seems pretty good to me. Almost like a modern version of Gauntlet.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
surly said:
I'm confused about one aspect of the payment model.

I downloaded this from Live earlier and it said it was free. There is no option to download the trial and full game as normal. When I started it up, I could play as any of the characters, but it said that they would be limited. Does that mean I can play the full game like this? Or does it mean that I'm essentially playing a demo that will end after a certain time, then I can buy 1 character for 800 or all 3 for 1,200?

The latter; you're playing a demo, you buy characters.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Gaspode_T said:
No code for me either :| The fine print said pretty clearly that you can't combine The Maw and Crimson Alliance offers so I was actually surprised to hear people are receiving it who also got The Maw...maybe those people didn't redeem their Maw code?

The fine print did not clearly say that. Further more, I bought Bastion from the website for the free Maw code, redeemed my Maw code, and bought the other four games from the dashboard.

I got my CA code last friday just like a bunch of people. Turns out, a bunch of others haven't gotten their code yet. Doesn't seem to be related to the Maw promotion, people on CAG are complaining about not having a code despite buying everything through the dash.

MS Twitter support said more codes are coming through this Friday, we'll see.

Im in Australia and havnt received my code either.

Annoyed that the game is now out and I cant play it cause someone didnt plan this out properly.

ced

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
LQX said:
So is the code MS sending out the same as the "free" game everyone can download?

MS is sending 2 codes with the emal:

A Code to get the game itself (1 chara, I think), and a code to get the 1200pts all characters unlocked pack.

So, you get the full 1200 pts package from the 2 Codes they send you.

Raide said:
It should have been 400 for 1 character, 800 for 2 and 1200 for all 3. If they want to try and do a F2P game with micro-transactions, they should have started it cheaper.

Because then there is absolutely no value in the other price tiers. At 10 dollars for 1 character, you make value for 3 characters at 15.

Man the framerate in this game is bringing me down so much. Four players all tossing stuff around, areas that go heavy on the lighting effects, and the FPS seems to drop to the single-digits.

Otherwise this game isn't bad at all.

Gowans

First level is a little slow paced.

But why are there four player slots and only three characters? Are they going to sell us four player co-op with another character sale.

Raide

Gowans007 said:
First level is a little slow paced.

But why are there four player slots and only three characters? Are they going to sell us four player co-op with another character sale.

Sounds about right. :D

I started the game as Assassin and I like it so far. My only issue is that the camera seems a little far out. Would be nice to have camera controls (Not seen any in the menus)

Not 100% sure if I will burn the 1200 points since I like my games a little more loot focused. I will keep playing and see.

Miggytronz

In Crimson Alliance the trial experience and the full game are essentially one and the same. The only things locked are the characters and how much content they can play. In solo play, characters can play the first three levels and save all progress. In multiplayer, they can play any level in the game, save progress, but are limited to a 15 minutes session.

Buying a Class Pack gives you a fully licensed character or characters depending on which offer you choose. Fully licensed characters can play all of the content in the main game. The version of the game labeled “FREE” on the Xbox LIVE Marketplace is essentially a “shell” containing both the trial experience and the full campaign. So to play the game you'll need to download the FREE game first. And then purchase a class pack.

I dunno if this can be added to OP.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
"In Crimson Alliance the trial experience and the full game are essentially one and the same. The only things locked are the characters and how much content they can play."

Isn't that true for, err, any demo?

Miggytronz

Stumpokapow said:
"In Crimson Alliance the trial experience and the full game are essentially one and the same. The only things locked are the characters and how much content they can play."

Isn't that true for, err, any demo?

yeah the initial concept on how this game functions is weird.

legbone

Fl1pp13 said:
I got my copy to review it about three days ago, so no:)

that's cool. i got my code from the soa promotion last week so i have also played quite a bit of it. it's just the game in no way made me think of bastion or god of war. thinking about it though i can see how the art style could remind one of trine. but as for gameplay, trine is nowhere near the same. i did not intend to offend i was just confused at the comparisions. but hey, that's cool, whatever floats your boat.

Ricker

Raide said:
Sounds about right. :D

I started the game as Assassin and I like it so far. My only issue is that the camera seems a little far out. Would be nice to have camera controls (Not seen any in the menus)

Not 100% sure if I will burn the 1200 points since I like my games a little more loot focused. I will keep playing and see.

Or you could spend 800 points and play the Assassin only....that`s probably what I will do but I have to many games right now...I enjoyed the trial a lot,i`ll be getting it soon for sure,it`s great.

Fl1pp13

Neo Member
legbone said:
that's cool. i got my code from the soa promotion last week so i have also played quite a bit of it. it's just the game in no way made me think of bastion or god of war. thinking about it though i can see how the art style could remind one of trine. but as for gameplay, trine is nowhere near the same. i did not intend to offend i was just confused at the comparisions. but hey, that's cool, whatever floats your boat.

Hehe, it would be boring if we all had the same opinion:)

Miggytronz

basically its a full on DEMO unless you dish out the cash to buy the individual class unlocks or the better deal of unlocking everything for 1200pts.

So is it worth the 1200pts?

Any idea how long the campaign is?

eek5

Played the demo with assassin in solo. It was alright. If the individual classes were cheaper I'd probably impulse buy but at 800 pts I'd feel silly buying just one class. Oh well.

edit: you get 15 mins of MP so i tried some coop and it was more fun. sometimes I couldn't tell what was going on though and warping around is kind of jarring. Oh and framerate can get really bad sometimes :/

xbhaskarx

Hyunkel6 said:
And can you unlock achievements in the free version?
That's a great question, why don't you list all the XBLA games that cost money but still let you unlock achievements in the free trial version.

I really like it.

The levels are quite beautiful and intricate. Combat is solid and it seems to have the correct "athmosphere".

It is not a lootwhore game though... loots is very minimalistic.

Better than Torchlight? Hmmm about the same IMHO.

Galdelico

NemesisPrime said:
I really like it.

The levels are quite beautiful and intricate. Combat is solid and it seems to have the correct "athmosphere".
So true, I'm loving it.

Also, I really enjoy the pace and gameplay solutions: it's definitely more Gauntlet than Torchlight, and some melee mechanics even remind me of Dead Nation (at least, using the assassin).

One thing I don't get: if you start a single player campaign, is the report you can see after you finish a mission proportionate to what you can actually find by playing alone?
Can the bonus/upgrades/treasures displayed there be found without any multiplayer help?
I ask cos I thought I explored alot, missed a multiplayer puzzle and a room which was only accessible to another character... Since I missed an upgrade, I'm wondering if I actually just missed it, or if it may be a reward for coop/other.

eek5

Ended up buying it. Did some matchmaking and ended up with 2 people with mics. We switched it to the hardest difficulty and it was a lot of fun. The whole buying gold with MS points from reviewers is really blown out of proportion. On the hardest difficulty I was getting like 10k gold per level or so (and even more on the challenge levels). Ended up buying some pretty sweet armor (the most expensive one at the last merchant I unlocked) so it isn't really like I'm being pressured to spend more MS points (yet). The guys I was playing with told me later on things cost ~65k though so we'll see but I'm having a bunch of fun.

So far my biggest issues are sometimes losing track of your character in the middle of battles and some framerate hiccups.

Galdelico said:
So true, I'm loving it.

Also, I really enjoy the pace and gameplay solutions: it's definitely more Gauntlet than Torchlight, and some melee mechanics even remind me of Dead Nation (at least, using the assassin).

One thing I don't get: if you start a single player campaign, is the report you can see after you finish a mission proportionate to what you can actually find by playing alone?
Can the bonus/upgrades/treasures displayed there be found without any multiplayer help?
I ask cos I thought I explored alot, missed a multiplayer puzzle and a room which was only accessible to another character... Since I missed an upgrade, I'm wondering if I actually just missed it, or if it may be a reward for coop/other.

If you're talking about the first level, you can solve that by yourself
by blowing up the crates on top and then hitting the two switches on bottom
. Some of the class-specific walls require multiple players. The hidden area bonus you get at the end is very small compared to the time bonus on harder difficulties though. If you're looking to gold/platinum levels try playing on hard/redonkulus.

Galdelico said:
I can tell you with certainty that missing the class specific doors while playing as a different class won't count towards that level's treasure count. I know that each class door in the first level has a chest behind it, for example, yet beating it with just one class still shows me at 2/2 on treasures. Those counts are for that character you're currently playing and not collectively across your different characters. Start a new character and they'll be back to zero treasures, soul anchors, and pieces of heart on the first level no matter if you found them all on a different character.

As for the co-op areas? Some can be done on your own but I've been finding more and more that I can't do solo. In that situation I imagine those are counting against me finding everything in a level. As long as there aren't any soul anchors back there keeping me from getting that achievement I don't mind all that much if I don't end up finding every single chest or heart piece. Stuff found in chests have been rather mediocre compared to stuff in the shops, anyhow.

ced

I'm not a frametard but the frame rate in this game is about unplayable for me with 2 people coop.

eek5

http://www.xblafans.com/crimson-alliance-complete-guide-25635.html

This was posted in the XBLA thread. Thought i'd be helpful to put it here.

Mikasangelos said:
so is it worth the 1200pts?
I'm having fun with it. Solo on ridonkulus! difficulty is pretty fun. Coop was a lot of fun too even with randoms (as long as you find people with mics). The treasure box loot has been disappointing though; you can only open chests in levels once and that's it. :/ I was hoping for a lot more loots

eek5

8xach.png

oh boy. this took forever. If you're trying to get the 8x achievement I think there is a level later where undead will spawn indefinitely which is probably easier. You pretty much have to combo the entire level if you do it on the first which is a pain. Assassin can get a sword that lets your stun do damage though and it helps out a lot (and feels super cheap lol)

eek5 said:
oh boy. this took forever. If you're trying to get the 8x achievement I think there is a level later where undead will spawn indefinitely which is probably easier. You pretty much have to combo the entire level if you do it on the first which is a pain. Assassin can get a sword that lets your stun do damage though and it helps out a lot (and feels super cheap lol)
It's not even a guarantee on the first level. I combo'd it completely and got a little below hitting the 8x multiplier. Getting the kill streaks where it pops up double kill and triple kill help build the multiplier meter more quickly and the only way to get 8x on the first level is to net enough of those. I imagine if you just stun until you kill with the weapon you're talking about you probably get a large number of double and triple kills considering the nature of how the stun works and how fast it hits each enemy. I might have to try that since I have a weapon that hurts upon stunning.

eek5

Wibblewozzer said:
It's not even a guarantee on the first level. I combo'd it completely and got a little below hitting the 8x multiplier. Getting the kill streaks where it pops up double kill and triple kill help build the multiplier meter more quickly and the only way to get 8x on the first level is to net enough of those. I imagine if you just stun until you kill with the weapon you're talking about you probably get a large number of double and triple kills considering the nature of how the stun works and how fast it hits each enemy. I might have to try that since I have a weapon that hurts upon stunning.
Yeah I should've mentioned that. There is a chance you can pull it off without getting hit and you'll still not get it. I barely got it (got 8x on my last kill). I got mainly doubles and triples using stun to kill everything.

I'm not sure if difficulty matters though but I don't think it does.

Difficulty definitely affects score.
It's so much easier to get Golds on Immortal and especially Ridonkulous.(Of course by that point you can shoot for Platinums so.....)

Not so sure on chains but I think at one point on Immortal I saw somebody clobber a small crowd and it jumped our multiplier from 0 to x5.

eek5

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Difficulty definitely affects score.
It's so much easier to get Golds on Immortal and especially Ridonkulous.(Of course by that point you can shoot for Platinums so.....)

Not so sure on chains but I think at one point on Immortal I saw somebody clobber a small crowd and it jumped our multiplier from 0 to x5.
It affects the score but I don't think it affects the multiplier. There is a point in the first level that I'd hit 3x (first sleeping camp). On normal on the run I got higher than normal w/ my double kills versus all the runs I did on immortal.

Top Bottom