• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crono Resurrection Discontinued

Zeenbor

Well, it started with a post on Gaming-Age and it will end on a similar note.

Square Enix has just issued a Ceast and Desist on Chrono Resurrection and it is with our deepest regret that we have to halt development on the project. What the team is wondering why Square Enix chose to close down the project now instead of when we launched at the project during E3... We acknowledged that their intervention was inevitable, we just did not know when they would intervene.

As a form of shock relief, we have new media available, which includes a 2 minute trailer and 15 screenshots of the last development of Chrono Resurrection. And we want to thank some of people here at Gaming-Age that have made us smile many times.

Edit: Here's a link to the web site where you can see the rest of the media and the trailer: www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono.

ZenanBridge1.jpg

HouseUpstairs1.jpg

Crono0.jpg

MagusLair0.jpg

Imps.jpg

Zombor1.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
:( :(

This looked great, too... nice job. Hopefully you can find work in the industry so your talents won't go to waste.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wow, looked really great in those shots! I'm thoroughly impressed by the graphics. And saddened by these unfortunate news. :(

shuri

Banned
Holy shit that looked great, too bad dude. Couldnt just you recycle the engine and work on a real game?

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
shuri said:
Holy shit that looked great, too bad dude. Couldnt just you recycle the engine and work on a real game?
My sentiments exactly. If you possess that kind of talent, patience, and drive, don't do fanfiction!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Just saw the trailer, and I was equally impressed...really nice animation too, for a fan project.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
As expected. While a nice fan project, you don't really think Square-Enix would have let this thing fly right?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Just work on it quietly. And then leak it. Blame it on haxxorz. :p

Wario64 said:
It was bound to happen :|

It looked great too...oh well

.. i never understood how you guys thought you would get away with remaking someone else's ip. Fan art yes... to remake a game... no. Looks nice and you guys should try to take this to a publisher and say; this is what we're capable of.

aku:jiki

Wow! I always thought the new version of Crono's room looked pretty good, but the shots of Magus and that skeleton thing just blew me away.

If you guys have the motivation to start something fresh, I'd say give TheGreenGiant's advice a shot. Maybe someone like Majesco would be into it, which isn't a bad thing at all. (I mean, despite the fact that most people think they suck, they could probably pay some bills for you and you'd get to make a "real" game if you're lucky.)

TheGreenGiant said:
.. i never understood how you guys thought you would get away with remaking someone else's ip. Fan art yes... to remake a game... no. Looks nice and you guys should try to take this to a publisher and say; this is what we're capable of.

It wasn't the hole game, just a demo of some of the battles. Plus, if I read it right, the engine was also runnin on the game cube, ps2?

Docpan

I bet someone at Square Enix is going to look at that trailer and say to himself: "What have we done???"

EDIT:

Was the engine made from scratch? If so, holy shite.

Defensor said:
As expected. While a nice fan project, you don't really think Square-Enix would have let this thing fly right?

They're Japanease, they don't let others play with their ip's.

Blizzard has let some other people develop some fan projects.

Seriously, where's the harm for Square?

It's a way to appreciate the IP.

Hell where's the often rumored Chrono Break?

Senretsu

Too bad it was stopped, but it was pretty much guaranteed to happen, they didn't have to do a thing except send letter when they saw it as a threat to themselves, which is probably why they waited so long.

You guys have some great talent, even the music was good, I hope you won't be discouraged and continue to make cool stuff because you're definitly capable of it. :) Something original would be even cooler than CT.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I think making an original game would be a lot harder. I mean, doing a remake like this they don't have to come up with original locations, battle system(s), characters (art + personalites), story, music...etc etc. Doing a remake of Chrono Trigger, they got some nice material to work with, so to speak. I'm not out to downplay the great work they've done in this remake, but it doesn't really prove they are capable of making a great game on their own. Of course, I would love to see them prove they are capable. :)

I think Zeenbor (the creator of this thread) already works for a game company, so he is actually making real games :p

Yeah it's sad that this project was forced to shut down like this, but as long as the people making it enjoyed the journey, not all is lost. And I'm sure they learned and benefited a lot from the experience, and it will pay off in their other work.

Why don't fangame makers finish their games THEN let pople know about in and downlod it? Then it'd be all over the place before anything could be done about it.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
adelgary said:
And I'm sure they learned and benefited a lot from the experience, and it will pay off in their other work.

Unless they end up making some shitty platformer because they were being spanked by the publisher for not making it in time. :/

Pachinko

If I were those guys I'd be asking squaresoft for more help and approval to actually finish the whole game with this engine. I mean WOW.

Chrono Trigger is pretty well my favorite console RPG of all time so I'd buy something like this in a heartbeat if it were an actual product. I can't be alone in this thinking.

hobbitx

Man does that suck, I was so looking forward to this little project. It sucks when talented devs get their indy projects shut down like this. If it's free and they aren't profitting what's the big threat here?

belgurdo

Banned
What you guys should do is just dump Chrono and Magus and just make an original game out of the rest. Save your work and stick it to SE in the process!

Chrono

Banned
hobbitx said:
Man does that suck, I was so looking forward to this little project. It sucks when talented devs get their indy projects shut down like this. If it's free and they aren't profitting what's the big threat here?

There's no threat.... Unless SquareEnix is working on a Chrono Trigger remake for PS3. :D

neptunes

belgurdo said:
What you guys should do is just dump Chrono and Magus and just make an original game out of the rest. Save your work and stick it to SE in the process!

hmm...I agree.

Of course you would have to change some of the maps and characters that have a resemblence to the original game.

Vargas

Chrono said:
There's no threat.... Unless SquareEnix is working on a Chrono Trigger remake for PS3. :D

Or maybe the PSP. Didn't IGN have a page up on their PSP site back around E3 that listed it? I can't find it now.

hobbitx

Chrono said:

Even then though, how could a little fan made project compete with an official remake with multi-milion dollar ad campaign? I remember people said stuff like this about the DBZ Quake mod getting canned because it's a threat that takes away from real DBZ games. Can anyone give me a real example of a fan project outdoing and taking away from a real title made by a company? I'm not trying to be a smartass here, I really want to know.

Insertia

Looks great, but why did you guys even bother?

You had to know at some point Square was going to order you to stop.

Would have been better off creating original work.

Zeenbor

Insertia said:
Looks great, but why did you guys even bother?

You had to know at some point Square was going to order you to stop.

Would have been better off creating original work.

We just wanted to see what it would be like to create a remake of our favorite game. We really didn't care about legal ramifications during development. If it happens, it happens.

In reality, we were just doing it for practice and entertainment. :) We always challenge ourselves with different goals with different situations to prepare us and strengthen our skills. Doing this project has allowed us to see our current potential.

Besides, we love Chrono Trigger. To be trying to understand your favorite game to the matter of dissecting it and re-creating it is an immense challenge. And a very fun one as well. :)

Top Bottom